PDA

View Full Version : Hamels suspended 5 games...

EMachine10
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Cole Hamels drills Bryce Harper, and then admits to doing so with intent, calling this a "welcome to the big leagues" moment. He gets suspended 5 games, which means nothing, because the Phillies have an off day Thursday. He won't miss a start, nor will their rotation be altered, since Doc can start on normal rest Saturday. Well played, MLB.

asindc
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Cole Hamels drills Bryce Harper, and then admits to doing so with intent, calling this a "welcome to the big leagues" moment. He gets suspended 5 games, which means nothing, because the Phillies have an off day Thursday. He won't miss a start, nor will their rotation be altered, since Doc can start on normal rest Saturday. Well played, MLB.

Doesn't he lose his pay for those games?

EMachine10
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM

He probably does, but that shouldn't concern Hamels too much.

downstairs
05-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Never had a clue how sports pay works. Do you get 1/52nd of your pay each week year round? Do you get paid only during the season? Per game?

soltrain21
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Never had a clue how sports pay works. Do you get 1/52nd of your pay each week year round? Do you get paid only during the season? Per game?

I remember reading a story once about Manny Ramirez and how he had checks upon checks in his car of like 20,000 dollars that he never put in his bank account. I don't know what that would equate to, though.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't really understand why Hamels did this, as he's never given anyone else a "hazing" upon their arrival in MLB. I can only surmise that he's "marking his territory," given that Harper will be facing the Phillies in the National League East for several years to come, until the Yankees offer him the planet Neptune in exchange for his services.

Frontman
05-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't really understand why Hamels did this, as he's never given anyone else a "hazing" upon their arrival in MLB. I can only surmise that he's "marking his territory," given that Harper will be facing the Phillies in the National League East for several years to come, until the Yankees offer him the planet Neptune in exchange for his services.

Or a bit of personal pride. Harper was getting onto the cover of Sports Illustrated before even taking BP in the minors, much less the majors. The way the media has portrayed Harper along the lines of "Linsanity" I'm sure rubbed more than just Hamels wrong.

MUsoxfan
05-07-2012, 05:50 PM

From what I've been told they get paid bi-weekly during the season only

DumpJerry
05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Or a bit of personal pride. Harper was getting onto the cover of Sports Illustrated before even taking BP in the minors, much less the majors. The way the media has portrayed Harper along the lines of "Linsanity" I'm sure rubbed more than just Hamels wrong.
I have a feeling that many MLBers, including some who play in the Nats' organization, have been less than pleased with Harper's cocky attitude from Day One. You want to cocky? Earn it.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a feeling that many MLBers, including some who play in the Nats' organization, have been less than pleased with Harper's cocky attitude from Day One. You want to cocky? Earn it.

You're probably right, which really makes this a non-issue. Baseball, like any other sport, involves proving oneself every day, in order to earn the respect of more experienced players. Harper seems to think he's already the best player in baseball, despite having been in the league for less than two weeks.

The Phillies and Nationals are scheduled to meet again in two weeks. I'm interested to see what happens if Hamels pitches in that series. He was hit in the leg as retaliation for hitting Harper, but I wonder if Nationals pitchers try going after Philadelphia hitters.

This isn't the first time hit batters has been an issue between these two teams. John Lannan was ejected from his Major League debut in 2007 for throwing at hitters. He gave up a home run to Ryan Howard early in the game, and then threw at both Howard and Utley before being tossed. Utley didn't walk away unscathed: Lannan's pitch broke his wrist.

amsteel
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Never mind that Hamels was plunked in his first plate appearance after hitting Harper. Surely a coincidence.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Never mind that Hamels was plunked in his first plate appearance after hitting Harper. Surely a coincidence.

Both benches were warned after that, and there were no further incidents. As I said in my previous post, I'm looking forward to the series that takes places two weeks from now at CBP. Harper's almost certainly going to hear boos from Philadelphia fans: the question is whether any further retaliation takes place.

WLL1855
05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Hamels was stupid to open his mouth. Popping off like that in the press will follow him for years to come.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Hamels was stupid to open his mouth. Popping off like that in the press will follow him for years to come.

How so? He's never had a reputation for "running his mouth" before. This will fester until the Phillies and Nationals meet at CBP later this month. After that, it won't be an issue again, either because nothing will happen, or because someone else will take a shot at Bryce Harper, in which case the media will start to ask questions about what Harper's doing to irritate opponents.

WLL1855
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
How so? He's never had a reputation for "running his mouth" before. This will fester until the Phillies and Nationals meet at CBP later this month. After that, it won't be an issue again, either because nothing will happen, or because someone else will take a shot at Bryce Harper, in which case the media will start to ask questions about what Harper's doing to irritate opponents.

This goes beyond the Phillies/Nationals games. Rightfully or not, that little blurb of his will be trotted out anytime there's even a whiff of suspicion that Cole threw at someone intentionally. Especially if he's put in a position where he's expected to retaliate and I'd hate to be him if he's on the hill and dugouts empty.

Personally, I didn't see a whole lot of malice in the beaning. Harper got hit near the waist. It wasn't chin music and the Nationals 'took care of business' the next time Hamels came to the plate. This certainly isn't on the level of the Piazza/Clemens drama, nor should it be. The press won't pass on the chance to make hay out of it though.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 07:33 PM
This goes beyond the Phillies/Nationals games. Rightfully or not, that little blurb of his will be trotted out anytime there's even a whiff of suspicion that Cole threw at someone intentionally. Especially if he's put in a position where he's expected to retaliate and I'd hate to be him if he's on the hill and dugouts empty.

If he's put in a position where he's expected to retaliate, I would think the opposing team would know what he's going to do before he does it, which isn't any different than any other pitcher standing up for his teammates. I can see the occasional player taking exception (someone touchy like Hanley Ramirez, for example), but I think most people would be willing to let it go.

Personally, I didn't see a whole lot of malice in the beaning. Harper got hit near the waist. It wasn't chin music and the Nationals 'took care of business' the next time Hamels came to the plate. This certainly isn't on the level of the Piazza/Clemens drama, nor should it be. The press won't pass on the chance to make hay out of it though.

This, I completely agree with you on. I don't think there's anything to be said or done about this now that Hamels has been issued his suspension, but I'm sure the media will find a way to keep breathing life into the story, at least until the next Phillies-Nationals series is over. As I said in an earlier post, I have the feeling Hamels won't be the last player to take exception to Bryce Harper's antics.

DSpivack
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
If he's put in a position where he's expected to retaliate, I would think the opposing team would know what he's going to do before he does it, which isn't any different than any other pitcher standing up for his teammates. I can see the occasional player taking exception (someone touchy like Hanley Ramirez, for example), but I think most people would be willing to let it go.

This, I completely agree with you on. I don't think there's anything to be said or done about this now that Hamels has been issued his suspension, but I'm sure the media will find a way to keep breathing life into the story, at least until the next Phillies-Nationals series is over. As I said in an earlier post, I have the feeling Hamels won't be the last player to take exception to Bryce Harper's antics.

I don't know about that, unless it's in direction retaliation to something Harper did during a game. Now that the Nationals are good, the Phillies seem to be their man rivals. This stems back to the past few years where Phillies fans would invade Nats Park, such that it would be overwhelmingly Philly fans; it's not a coincidence that the same thing happens in football, where Eagles fans are known to flock to Landover for Redskins-Eagles games. The Nats fought back with a marketing campaign for this past weekend's series for Nats fans to "take back the park" and used the slogan "Natitude" on twitter and in marketing appeals to sell tickets for the series.

From what I've read, Harper holds no ill will against Hamels, nor should he. He responded by going 1st-to-3rd on a hit and stole home on Hamels. Some of this past weekend's antics on both sides may be a bit manufactured due to the team's circumstances: the Nats the talented up-and-coming looking a spark and energy to get them going; the Phillies feeling slighted with their poor start to the season and the hype that the Nats had for the series.

Hamels spoke to that burgeoning rivalry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/cole-hamels-hits-bryce-harper-on-purpose-and-the-nationals-phillies-rivalry-begins/2012/05/07/gIQAmPzB7T_blog.html?hpid=z5

As said by you earlier, I look forward to their next series.

Brian26
05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
I remember reading a story once about Manny Ramirez and how he had checks upon checks in his car of like 20,000 dollars that he never put in his bank account. I don't know what that would equate to, though.

I love the concept that a guy making millions of dollars a year isn't using direct depost. Manny being Manny.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I love the concept that a guy making millions of dollars a year isn't using direct depost. Manny being Manny.

Well, knowing him, he probably didn't fill out the paperwork for it. :cool:

asindc
05-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't know about that, unless it's in direction retaliation to something Harper did during a game. Now that the Nationals are good, the Phillies seem to be their man rivals. This stems back to the past few years where Phillies fans would invade Nats Park, such that it would be overwhelmingly Philly fans; it's not a coincidence that the same thing happens in football, where Eagles fans are known to flock to Landover for Redskins-Eagles games. The Nats fought back with a marketing campaign for this past weekend's series for Nats fans to "take back the park" and used the slogan "Natitude" on twitter and in marketing appeals to sell tickets for the series.

From what I've read, Harper holds no ill will against Hamels, nor should he. He responded by going 1st-to-3rd on a hit and stole home on Hamels. Some of this past weekend's antics on both sides may be a bit manufactured due to the team's circumstances: the Nats the talented up-and-coming looking a spark and energy to get them going; the Phillies feeling slighted with their poor start to the season and the hype that the Nats had for the series.

Hamels spoke to that burgeoning rivalry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/cole-hamels-hits-bryce-harper-on-purpose-and-the-nationals-phillies-rivalry-begins/2012/05/07/gIQAmPzB7T_blog.html?hpid=z5

As said by you earlier, I look forward to their next series.

This weekend's marketing campaign was also a make-up effort for the disastrous marketing campaign of last year, in which the organization actually advertised in the Philly market before an early April series to encourage Philly fans to come down to DC. They got huge crowds, but generated A LOT of bad feelings among Nats fans. They had to find a way to make up for it.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
This weekend's marketing campaign was also a make-up effort for the disastrous marketing campaign of last year, in which the organization actually advertised in the Philly market before an early April series to encourage Philly fans to come down to DC. They got huge crowds, but generated A LOT of bad feelings among Nats fans. They had to find a way to make up for it.

Why anyone would be stupid enough to encourage fans from an opposing team to invade their ballpark is beyond me. I suppose it's a way to generate revenue, but I can honestly say that I bristle at the idea of inviting obnoxious Red Sox, Cubs, and Yankees fans into the 'Cell every year. Ugh.

asindc
05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Why anyone would be stupid enough to encourage fans from an opposing team to invade their ballpark is beyond me. I suppose it's a way to generate revenue, but I can honestly say that I bristle at the idea of inviting obnoxious Red Sox, Cubs, and Yankees fans into the 'Cell every year. Ugh.

Obnoxious is the key word. Of all the opposing fan bases to encourage to come to DC, Philly fans should be last on the list. Believe me, everyone here had/has the same reaction to it that you do. They are still trying to make amends, even after this past weekend's campaign.

fram40
05-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Earn it? By stealing home on the pitcher who just hit you in a "hazing" moment?

I think Harper is one of my new favorite players.

A damn good response from the 19 year old phenom:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-05-07/Bryce-Harper-Cole-Hamels/54819018/1 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-05-07/Bryce-Harper-Cole-Hamels/54819018/1)

doublem23
05-08-2012, 12:29 AM

What cocky attitude? The way he cockily laces doubles? Or the way he cockily plays lights out defense? Or the way he cockily punished opposing pitchers for these bull**** old timey "unspoken" baseball rules?

I don't think there's anyone out there with a brain who could look at Harper's body of work and not think he's earned it. Kid's exceeded expectations everywhere. He's legit.

HomeFish
05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I was at this game. It was obvious to everyone in the park that the HBP was intentional. Same with Hamels getting hit in his next at-bat.

As far as I'm concerned, Hamels got his due when he got plunked back, if not when Bryce Harper stole home on him after being plunked.

cws05champ
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
To me this is just good old time baseball and everything was done the right way. Hamels plunked the rookie in the hip, not near his head or hands. Harper made him pay by stealing home once he got on. Hamels got plunked when he came to bat next, and it was over.

There were no further beanings, Hamels admitted the beaning instead of insulting our intelligence on saying it slipped. Harper handled it after the game like a pro and didn't call out Hamels. The only person I say didn't handle it correctly was Nats GM Mike Rizzo who called it "the most gutless thing I have seen in baseball in 30 years". Just shut your mouth Mike....your player handled things just fine on and off the field. No need to insert yourself into the game.

Jerko
05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
So is the Nationals pitcher suspended? He obviously hit Hamels on purpose. Or is he ok because he didn't admit it? Funny, in this day and age where almost anything goes unpunished with an admission (see, Pettitte, Andy), that he gets suspended for this. Yeah I know he's not gonna miss a start, but if he didn't get kicked out of the game the suspension is silly IMO.

tstrike2000
05-08-2012, 10:46 PM
He probably should've been suspended longer. Cole Hamels needs to worry about himself instead of taking it upon himself to purposely throw at another hitter, no matter who it is or whatever he thinks the reason is. He's either extremely arrogant or just plain stupid. My guess is both.

The Immigrant
05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
He probably should've been suspended longer. Cole Hamels needs to worry about himself instead of taking it upon himself to purposely throw at another hitter, no matter who it is or whatever he thinks the reason is. He's either extremely arrogant or just plain stupid. My guess is both.

He's a special kind of dumb.

Bob Roarman
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Man, reading that USA Today article:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100108063233/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/b5/20100108063328%21Exploding-head.gif