PDA

View Full Version : 5/7 Game 1- Well, Let's Take the Next One

KMcMahon817
05-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Bummer. Humber got rocked. Stoney said after he got the boot that he only missed two bats through 60 some pitches. Ouch.

Quintana looked pretty darn good though. Maybe he'll stick around as Sale's replacement in the rotation if Stults struggles tonight.

Gave them a finish at the end. Take the next one, guys.

thomas35forever
05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Gave 'em a fight. Too bad we fell too far behind early though.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Should we have dealt Humber when his value was highest, immediately after the perfecto?

[/knee jerk]

SoxSpeed22
At least we made a game of it. Let's just win this next one.

amsteel
The Sox had no business winning that game and they didn't. Simple as that.

Great to see them score 6 runs the day the opponent scores 8.

Corlose 15
05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
This season is on the verge of getting away from them and going right down the ****ter. If they don't get their pitching sorted out that SI prediction might not be far off.

DonnieDarko
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
What the hell is wrong with Humber?

#1swisher
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Chicago White Sox

Prior to today, the last White Sox pitcher to toss 5.2 scoreless frames in
relief was Brian Keyser on 8/20/95 vs. Texas.

Quintana's outing was the longest outing by a White Sox reliever since
Tom Fordham went 5.2 innings on 9/5/97 at Cleveland (4 ER)

kittle42
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Apathy has set in early this season.

soxinem1
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
This season is on the verge of getting away from them and going right down the ****ter. If they don't get their pitching sorted out that SI prediction might not be far off.

Pitching has been pretty solid.

Blow ups like this will happen, but if they keep putting the added strain on them with scoring 1-3 runs a game, that will likely falter eventually as well.

CLE is not a better team than us. The lineup has several guys hitting past their career norms and I will take our staff over theirs and DET any day.

But if we do not hit, this season will go down the tube.

Chicago White Sox

Prior to today, the last White Sox pitcher to toss 5.2 scoreless frames in relief was Brian Keyser on 8/20/95 vs. Texas.

Ugh. Nothing like being compared to an outright scrub.

doublem23
05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
CLE is not a better team than us

They probably are

asindc
05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
They probably are

I'll need to see a lot more than this before I believe that.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Team is in a free fall. Doesn't matter who the opposing team or pitcher is, regardless of if they are supposedly better or worse.

Kittle's right, this could get very ugly and make U.S, Cellular Field look like a deserted mining town by mid July.

Lip

eriqjaffe
05-07-2012, 04:57 PM
At least the churro lines will be short.

doublem23
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I'll need to see a lot more than this before I believe that.

All right, but probably 7/9 of their starting lineup is better than ours and we only have 2 dependable starters right now. I'd put my money on the Tribe.

It's OK, we all knew this was coming.

TDog
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
It's not a good day when your stuff isn't working sufficiently to get lefties out, and the opposing lineup is stacked with lefties,

The Sox didn't do so badly against the no-name starter, But it should be noted that the White Sox had faced him before, in a Sox win last season. If the game had been closer, the Sox might have been able to put more pressure on him today.

The bright side seems to be the relief effort by Quintana, who unfortunately still walked in a Humber run that made it that much more difficult to come back in the ninth, just as the Santiago-allowed home run made it more difficult to come back against the Tigers in the ninth Sunday.

Quintana certainly saved the bullpen and kept the game close enough for hte Sox to make it mildly interesting in the ninth. But it should be noted that as long as he kept his composure (which apparently was iffy when he walked two in his first inning), he had a couple of advantages in that the Indians had their lefty lineup against him, an they had never seen him, probaly going up without any sort of scouting report.

The problem with looking at what a manager should or shouldn't have done when a game is over is that you hve the hindsight of knowing how things ended up. The Sox don't want to overwork their bullpen in the afternoon when another game is scheduled for the evening. You don't want to take out Humber unless you have to.

In retrospect, bringing in Quintana after the second inning with the score 3-2, which would mean at least six innings out of your bullpen, would have challenged the Indians to face a lefty or pinch-hit, something they didn't do with the big lead. If the game had bene closer, there might have been more pressure on the Indians and their bullpen. Of course, that is a bigger gamble than trying to get Humber to pitch as deep into the game as he can. It's possible, though, that Ventura could make a note of what he could have done for the future.

kittle42
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
All right, but probably 7/9 of their starting lineup is better than ours and we only have 2 dependable starters right now. I'd put my money on the Tribe.

It's OK, we all knew this was coming.

Your latter point here - I agree. This is about as much "fun" as I can have not caring.

Tragg
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I didn't see the game, but I suspect he had the ball up. He's got to be at the knees or below.

sox1970
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Team is in a free fall. Doesn't matter who the opposing team or pitcher is, regardless of if they are supposedly better or worse.

Kittle's right, this could get very ugly and make U.S, Cellular Field look like a deserted mining town by mid July.

Lip

And yet they're a couple of management decisions away from having a pretty good record now even with easy outs at the bottom of the lineup.

If they would have gone with Addison Reed as closer from the beginning, maybe they wouldn't have blown those bad saves that Santiago gave up.

Maybe if they recognized Humber was exhausted from the post-perfect game/baby situation, they would have put him on the paternity list and called somebody up, and he would have been fine by today. They still need to skip him this coming weekend.

I still think this team has potential, but they hand over games too easily. And that's from management down to the players.

amsteel
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM

I'm definitely past the point where the season narrative is lost, and it's about enjoying individual games as much as possible.

I'm going to try and enjoy Peavy pitching, seeing Dunn hit colossal HRs, and (hopefully) see Sale mature into a top notch pitcher. Buy cheap tickets off Stubhub, crack some beers, and make the most out of the Summer.

If you're gonna compare these Sox to other teams, either qualitatively, or statistically, it's not gonna be much fun.

Paulwny
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I didn't see the game, but I suspect he had the ball up. He's got to be at the knees or below.

You are correct plus, every strike was across the middle of the plate.

FloridaSox
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I am beginning to fear that last year was the exception and what we are seeing now is the real Philip Humber.

kittle42
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I am beginning to fear that last year was the exception and what we are seeing now is the real Philip Humber.

1/4 of the team belongs in AAA.

And thanks to KW, there is nothing at AAA to get excited about, either.

tstrike2000
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
If perfect game Humber, or any semblance of that Humber want to come back, it would be more than helpful.

DSpivack
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Lip

Kind of like Progressive Field today.

The Immigrant
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Or U.S. Cellular Field last Tuesday.

JB98
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Humber was throwing batting practice today. Not one of the nine hits he allowed was cheap. The White Sox don't have the type of offense that can overcome a six-run deficit.

Quintana covered 17 outs and saved the bullpen. Ramirez finally hit the ball hard a couple times. The Sox could use some offense from him.

TDog
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
And yet they're a couple of management decisions away from having a pretty good record now even with easy outs at the bottom of the lineup.

If they would have gone with Addison Reed as closer from the beginning, maybe they wouldn't have blown those bad saves that Santiago gave up.

Maybe if they recognized Humber was exhausted from the post-perfect game/baby situation, they would have put him on the paternity list and called somebody up, and he would have been fine by today. They still need to skip him this coming weekend.

I still think this team has potential, but they hand over games too easily. And that's from management down to the players.

I generally agree with your point, but you don't know if the alternative management decisions would have the Sox with a better record. You don't know if Reed would have blown a couple of saves. Santiago looked strong in his first save opportunity, and Reed has matched that facing only one hitter in the process of closing.

I don't think Humber was exhausted from his perfect game. He only faced 27 hitters and threw less than 100 pitches. He came back on normal rest. Humber faced 18 hitters today, and he certainly didn't come out because he was tired.

If you are saying that suggesting the White Sox are a lousy team based on recent losses, I agree that such statements are overreaction. But overreaction is what fans do. There are fans who will insist the Orioles are a garbage team even though they have the best record in baseball.

Cat Thief
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm definitely past the point where the season narrative is lost, and it's about enjoying individual games as much as possible.

I'm going to try and enjoy Peavy pitching, seeing Dunn hit colossal HRs, and (hopefully) see Sale mature into a top notch pitcher. Buy cheap tickets off Stubhub, crack some beers, and make the most out of the Summer.

If you're gonna compare these Sox to other teams, either qualitatively, or statistically, it's not gonna be much fun.

Well said.

hawkjt
05-07-2012, 05:50 PM
The Tribe has a lot of dangerous hitters,as compared to the Sox.
Sox pitching is better,but right now, not that much better ,with Danks and Humber stinking it up. Tribe have a better closer also.

Fans on here tend to denigrate teams like the O's(best record in baseball) and the A's..(1st place in the AL West?)...when they beat the Sox. Tribe also(another 1st place team)...The O's and Tribe are stacked with hitters compared to the Sox.

Qunitana was solid today...bright spot of the afternoon.
McCallister was emminently hittable today,but while the Tribe hitters do not miss the cookies, Sox hitters,like Rios,do. Difference between dangerous hitters and Sox hitters.

DeAza,PK,Dunn and today's version of Alexei are the only semi-dangerous hitters going right now. I really like how tough DeAza hangs in there ,even vs lefties.

amsteel
05-07-2012, 05:50 PM

What the Sox should be worrying about isn't people no-showing a rescheduled early-May DH. They need to be concerned about further erosion of the season ticket holder base, I wouldn't doubt that based on their current trajectory, we'll start seeing some 8K/9K attendance games next year.

They're also gonna start losing the 3 Cubs games every other year where they're getting 20K people paying 100$ a head to sit in the lower bowl. Yeesh.

kittle42
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
If you are saying that suggesting the White Sox are a lousy team based on recent losses, I agree that such statements are overreaction. But overreaction is what fans do. There are fans who will insist the Orioles are a garbage team even though they have the best record in baseball.

I suggested they're a lousy team before one game was played.

And lots of teams have gone 19-9 over a 28-game stretch. Doesn't make them good in the end, necessarily.

DumpJerry
05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
During the pre-game show, it was mentioned that not only has Humber become a new dad very recently, but some unspecified problem involving a "distant family" member has arisen, all of which may be on his mind causing distractions.

SCCWS
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
During the pre-game show, it was mentioned that not only has Humber become a new dad very recently, but some unspecified problem involving a "distant family" member has arisen, all of which may be on his mind causing distractions.

Did they possibly mention that over the last 6 years between the majors and minors he is a career .500 pitcher. Or has he had distant family issues for 6 years. Unfortunately the perfect game has fans thinking he is now a top notch pitcher. He is not as good as the perfect game and not as bad as today. But he has a ways to go before he is anything but a .500 pitcher and a 4th/5th starter on an average team.

JB98
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't think the Sox losing to the Orioles has much to do with anything.

IMO, the Sox are going to spend a lot of time playing just well enough to lose by one or two runs this year, regardless of quality of opponent.

amsteel
05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
IMO, the Sox are going to spend a lot of time playing just well enough to lose by one or two runs this year, regardless of quality of opponent.

Nailed it.

I've said it before: People say something is 'good enough' when something isn't quite good. The Sox are 'good enough'.

BainesHOF
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
It's becoming disturbing how our pitchers are being left in to give up so many runs.

JB98
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Nailed it.

I've said it before: People say something is 'good enough' when something isn't quite good. The Sox are 'good enough'.

I mean, the Sox are 2-5 in games decided by one run and 1-5 in games decided by two runs.

We're only 29 games into the season, I know, but this roster has holes in it like swiss cheese. Those holes are magnified in close games.

Golden Sox
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
In our last 13 games the White Sox are 3-10. Is this season starting to slip slideaway?

Woofer
05-07-2012, 07:01 PM
As I feared after the game, blowing that 14 inning game a few weeks ago has been a turning point. Take this game tonight and turn this season around, boys.

asindc
05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Nailed it.

Close enough rarely is.