PDA

View Full Version : The Rush To The Bigs

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Mentions Beckham's issues in the story which asks / debates the question of rushing prospects through the minor leagues:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7891535/what-happen-prospects-bryce-harper-rocket-minors

Lip

soxinem1
05-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't buy it. It was his best season to date.

Sale also went through the minors very quickly before arriving to stay.

Saying that, it is up to the organization to make the call in bringing up players quickly...... and when to send them down.

Now that Bacon is entering his fourth season, they team must think:

1. A trip to AAA might be a step backwards.
2. Defense is very important.
3. They just don't have anyone else at the moment.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Beckham had a crap load of talent too, and after the first season he looked like he would deliver on his talent.

I think he got promoted in the wrong organization. There is an issue in this organization with youth that needs to be fixed. Beckham, I believe, was a casualty. His best move is to move out of here and see if he can rejuvenate his career elsewhere.

I don't believe he has much more to offer the Sox.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Admittedly I don't have the detailed knowledge of the Sox minor league operation like Daver and Domeshot, so I rely a great deal on their conclusions and opinions in this area.

Both have been saying for a long time there is simply a fundamental breakdown of how the Sox operate the minor league system and the philosophy behind it.

They have mentioned not spending above slot for quality talent, making "safe" (i.e. signable) picks, the fact that the Sox have gone through two or three farm system directors without much success, the Latin America Dave Wilder embarrassment and rushing kids through the system if they can hit but not do much else.

That's a litany of issues which don't seem to have gotten any better.

The evidence both directly and circumstantially over the past decade clearly shows some bad, bad problems.

They are getting paid to fix it however and they seem unable to.

Lip

DSpivack
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I find it interesting that Glanville offers Harper as an example of a guy who is ready for the majors at such a young age--he's just 19. And Beckham as a guy who possibly needed more seasoning, despite excelling in college and in a wood bat league on Cape Cod.

I contrast Glanville's argument with this:
Minor League PAs, career:
Harper: 534
Beckham: 259

Daver
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
I find it interesting that Glanville offers Harper as an example of a guy who is ready for the majors at such a young age--he's just 19. And Beckham as a guy who possibly needed more seasoning, despite excelling in college and in a wood bat league on Cape Cod.

I contrast Glanville's argument with this:
Minor League PAs, career:
Harper: 534
Beckham: 259

You can't compare college A/B's to A/B's against pro pitchers, there is a marked difference in quality.

BainesHOF
05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Beckham had a crap load of talent...

I disagree. It's not like he has great speed or power. He's always been overrated.

DSpivack
05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I disagree. It's not like he has great speed or power. He's always been overrated.

He's a gold-glove quality second basemen who hit .270/.347/.460 in 103 games during his rookie year. You put up a .808 OPS at 2B with that kind of glove, that's pretty damn good.

The Sox haven't had a guy like that at 2B since Ray Durham. And Beckham is quite a bit better in the field.