PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Revenge of the 6th; Murder City Letdown; DET 3 SOX 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Too bad we couldn't pull it out in the ninth.

amsteel
05-06-2012, 04:19 PM
The Sox scored 7 runs this series.

Parrothead
05-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Too bad we couldn't pull it out in the ninth.

Enough of Santiago.

mahagga73
05-06-2012, 04:20 PM
you knew Beckham was going to swing at some garbage.

Zakath
05-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Would have been beautiful to beat Valahole again.

Santiago is definitely not a 2-inning pitcher. 3 batters tops. The only people being screwed by his screwball is us.

mahagga73
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Would have been beautiful to beat Valahole again.

Santiago is definitely not a 2-inning pitcher. 3 batters tops. The only people being screwed by his screwball is us.
he's probably knocked the screws out of a lot of seats in the bleachers this year with that screwball

SoxSpeed22
05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
The Sox scored 7 runs this series.This is a pretty damning statistic, that will probably be there the entire season. At least Dunn was responsible for 3 of those runs.

ChiSoxGal85
05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I really would have enjoyed watching Valverde blow another save, but at least it was fun watching him sweat a little. Tigers stranded at least 12 so Sox pitching and D did a pretty good job of minimizing the damage. Santiago, however, needs to figure out how to stop giving away HRs. Sox offense was mostly asleep. Rios and AJ have pretty much cooled off completely at the plate lately.

chisoxfanatic
05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
3-3 against this team when we have avoided facing Verlander both series is disheartening to me.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
The Sox scored 7 runs this series.

And did not face Verlander.

Today, 5 hits. Congratuations.

This offense is pathetic. I guess Walker might not have been the problem.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Fanatic:

Detroit has beat the Sox up pretty badly the past few years though as I recall...for a stretch there in 2010-2011, if I remember, it was getting almost Twins or Toronto-like.

---------------------------------

It's really a shame to continually waste pretty good pitching efforts isn't it?

Typical Sox game from the last few years when you think about it.

Good pitching wasted because no one can get a big hit with guys on base...only way to score is another solo home run.

5th time this year the Sox have lost when holding an opponent to three runs or less.

By the way, the Sox are 5-9 since Humber's perfect game and have lost nine of the last 12.

It is what it is I guess.

I know nothing much was expected this year but you still always hope the "experts" will be wrong (aka 1990). Doesn't look like that's going to happen this time around.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Good thing we didn't face Verlander this weekend.

We probably would have scored 5 on him. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201107150.shtml)

GlassSox
05-06-2012, 04:29 PM
you knew Beckham was going to swing at some garbage.

:yup:

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Love:

Walker wasn't THE problem but he was part of it. There's plenty of blame to go around for the Sox offensive woes since really 2007. (Excepting 2008)

Lip

mahagga73
05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Morel is not a major league hitter.Beckham is not a major league hitter.Viciedo ,so far,has not impressed,but the other Cuban Cespedes looks superior.Viciedo ,for his horrendous defensive deficiences,needs to hit to be useful.Thats 3 holes in the lineup that are virtually non-existent.Can't win many games like that.

SouthSideMike
05-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Beckham's at-bats make me nauseous. Not saying he's finished yet, but he'll definitely be on the precipice soon if he doesn't figure things out.

amsteel
05-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Watching MLB Tonight on MLB Network and seeing other teams scoring runs makes me sad.

mahagga73
05-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Beckham's at-bats make me nauseous. Not saying he's finished yet, but he'll definitely be on the precipice soon if he doesn't figure things out.
His defense is the only thing keeping him from being a career minor leaguer at this point.If he could hit at all he would be an all star player.

kevingrt
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Axelrod optioned to AAA per Gonzales.

Wonder if they keep Stults up?

asindc
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't get how someone could bat over .300 in AAA and look so helpless in the majors. It's as if they have never seen breaking balls before.

amsteel
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Axelrod optioned to AAA per Gonzales.

Wonder if they keep Stults up?

What in the holy hell is this team doing?

Edit: making space for the DH tomorrow?

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Morel is not a major league hitter.Beckham is not a major league hitter.Viciedo ,so far,has not impressed,but the other Cuban Cespedes looks superior.Viciedo ,for his horrendous defensive deficiences,needs to hit to be useful.Thats 3 holes in the lineup that are virtually non-existent.Can't win many games like that.

TCM hasn't been tearing it up either, thats 4 guys either just above or below the Mendoza line.
Fukadome has also been a bust.

sox1970
05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
What in the holy hell is this team doing?

Edit: making space for the DH tomorrow?

New rule this year--can carry 26 for doubleheaders.

Probably will see Brian Bruney or something.

amsteel
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
New rule this year--can carry 26 for doubleheaders.

Probably will see Brian Bruney or something.

Yeah, overreaction on my part. I thought this was part of the Sale-5th starter mystery. It's just a move to get a fresh arm tomorrow. If Axelrod goes down they can pick up 2 RPs.

DSpivack
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah, overreaction on my part. I thought this was part of the Sale-5th starter mystery. It's just a move to get a fresh arm tomorrow. If Axelrod goes down they can pick up 2 RPs.

Stults will come up to start, that's the 26th man they can use as part of the DH.

Axelrod going down after his start today--what reliever comes up? Bruney? Infante?

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Stults will come up to start, that's the 26th man they can use as part of the DH.

Axelrod going down after his start today--what reliever comes up? Bruney? Infante?

They should have optioned Santiago and him him go work on his offspeed stuff. He reminds me of Alan Embree right now.

Plus, the Sox have too many LHs now in the pen. Another righty might be nice with Crain being out.

Noneck
05-06-2012, 06:06 PM
TCM hasn't been tearing it up either

I agree, a team like the Sox, that need a good start to draw some interest, cant afford Ramirez to hit squat for the 1st couple months every year.

Wedema
05-06-2012, 08:32 PM

According to Scott Merkin, LHP (yes, another one) Jose Quintana is coming up along with Stults.

DumpJerry
05-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't get how someone could bat over .300 in AAA and look so helpless in the majors. It's as if they have never seen breaking balls before.
:anderson:
Yeah, a total mystery to me, too.

Golden Sox
05-06-2012, 09:10 PM
You're not going to win many games scoring one run. This game doesn't bother me like the Friday night game did. Thornton had Peralta with a 0-2 count and gave up a home run. Would it had been so difficult to waste a pitch? With all these lefthanders we're starting to see on this team, I'm wondering if Matt Thorntons days with the White Sox are coming to an end.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Any news on viciedo?

JB98
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Adam Dunn disagrees. Manto fixed him.

JB98
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Honestly, this team just doesn't have enough offensive talent. They always seem like they have the opportunity to win, but they can't get the big hit. At least not frequently enough. That's what happens when you have too many holes in the lineup.

Really, aside from Konerko, the Sox are getting no offense whatsoever from any of their infielders. It's going to be a real struggle if Ramirez and Viciedo remain in the crapper offensively. You can afford to carry one, maybe even two guys who are just in there for defense. But you can't have four black holes in the lineup and expect to win in American League baseball.

SoxSpeed22
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tbh, I think Dunn fixed himself more than Manto fixing him. Adam got in much better shape, figured out the other pitchers better and his bat speed is better this season.

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I would agree that there are too many black holes on offense. This team can't afford this many "glove first, hitting is a plus" guys, between Morel, Beckham, and the sporadic results from TCM.

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
05-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Tbh, I think Dunn fixed himself more than Manto fixing him. Adam got in much better shape, figured out the other pitchers better and his bat speed is better this season.

Well, sure, it's mostly the players no matter what. All I'm saying is last year Walker admitted he couldn't get through to Dunn, whereas Dunn and Manto have clicked. Dunn still has to do the hitting, but I think Manto has helped him.

And yes, I realize Walker wasn't the whole problem last year. But I'm tired of people saying Walker was blameless every time this year's club has a poor offensive game.

Walk was part of the problem. I'm glad there is a fresh voice in both the manager's office, and with the hitting coach.

ChiSoxGal85
05-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Any news on viciedo?
Looks like he's just bruised and day to day.

Domeshot17
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Well, sure, it's mostly the players no matter what. All I'm saying is last year Walker admitted he couldn't get through to Dunn, whereas Dunn and Manto have clicked. Dunn still has to do the hitting, but I think Manto has helped him.

And yes, I realize Walker wasn't the whole problem last year. But I'm tired of people saying Walker was blameless every time this year's club has a poor offensive game.

Walk was part of the problem. I'm glad there is a fresh voice in both the manager's office, and with the hitting coach.

Fox did a nice pre game blip on Manto working to keep Dunn's bat coming through the plane more, staying in the hitting zone longer with more of the bat. I think Manto does well with him, but these kids are pretty bad.

Noneck
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I would agree that there are too many black holes on offense. This team can't afford this many "glove first, hitting is a plus" guys, between Morel, Beckham, and the sporadic results from TCM.

SMO

Beckham and Ramirez are not on the club and were not obtained because of glove 1st.

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Beckham and Ramirez are not on the club and were not obtained because of glove 1st.

I understand that and agree 100%, but I think that with Beckham in particular, playing an above average 2B is the only thing keeping him with the big league club. I sometimes wonder if the big extension given to TCM has taken some of the fire out of his belly.

SMO

Noneck
05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I understand that and agree 100%, but I think that with Beckham in particular, playing an above average 2B is the only thing keeping him with the big league club. I sometimes wonder if the big extension given to TCM has taken some of the fire out of his belly.

SMO

The bottom line is that the options for either are not good.

Zakath
05-06-2012, 09:55 PM

The numbers for 28 games this season vs. last:
2011 - 16-96, 4 2B, 3 HR, 14 RBI, 19 BB, 36 K, .167 AVG, .308 OBP, .610 OPS
2012 - 25-100, 7 2B, 9 HR, 24 RBI, 19 BB, 42 K, .250 AVG, .372 OBP, .972 OPS

More K's, but the power numbers are definitely there.

BainesHOF
05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Enough of Santiago.

I agree. Not only should Santiago never appear in a close game again, but he shouldn't even be on the roster. He's throwing batting practice. Those in the dugout need to wake up.

Who knows what would have happened if Santiago didn't allow his run? We're obviously not a great hitting team. Every little managerial decision counts.

BainesHOF
05-07-2012, 12:57 AM
If (Beckham) could hit at all he would be an all star player.

Not even close in the American League.

Noneck
05-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I just watched sports sunday on channel 5 and Pat Boyle said that Santiago will be sent to AAA to become a starter.

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Adam Dunn disagrees. Manto fixed him.What are you basing this on? Has Dunn actually said that?

JB98
05-07-2012, 02:06 AM
What are you basing this on? Has Dunn actually said that?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2012/04/dunn-still-searching-for-swing.html

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/11158553-574/adam-dunn-reaping-benefits-of-practice.html

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2012, 02:08 AM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2012/04/dunn-still-searching-for-swing.htmlCool; thanks. Very interesting.

JB98
05-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Cool; thanks. Very interesting.

Just added a second link above. I knew I had read some comments from Dunn during spring training about Manto. Took me a few moments to drudge up that link, though, since it's from almost two months ago.

Dunn's misery last year wasn't all Walker's fault by any means. It was mostly Dunn's fault, in fact. But I think it's also true that Walk couldn't come up with anything to help him. The jury is out on Manto as a hitting coach, but I think he deserves a little tip of the cap for helping Dunn get his power stroke back.

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2012, 02:34 AM
The jury is out on Manto as a hitting coach, but I think he deserves a little tip of the cap for helping Dunn get his power stroke back.:tiphat:

gobears1987
05-07-2012, 05:46 AM

Of course Walker wasn't the problem. KW just likes drafting players who can't hit for ****.

When is the last time KW drafted a player who became a good hitter at the Major League level?

doublem23
05-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Seriously. Just because the Sox are still bad doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea to finally try someone other than Walker.

October26
05-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I just watched sports sunday on channel 5 and Pat Boyle said that Santiago will be sent to AAA to become a starter.

Interesting. Wonder how long it will take for Santiago to become a starter?

I was disappointed with yesterday's loss against the Tigers but I will say that Sox pitching did well holding the Tigers to only 3 runs. When I saw the pitching matchup for yesterday, I thought the final score would be more like Tigers 13, Sox 1. Sox offense is anemic indeed. I still have hope that Ramirez & Viciedo will start getting hits on a consistent basis.

kufram
05-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Interesting. Wonder how long it will take for Santiago to become a starter?

I was disappointed with yesterday's loss against the Tigers but I will say that Sox pitching did well holding the Tigers to only 3 runs. When I saw the pitching matchup for yesterday, I thought the final score would be more like Tigers 13, Sox 1. Sox offense is anemic indeed. I still have hope that Ramirez & Viciedo will start getting hits on a consistent basis.

Have faith. Ramirez has a history of starting like this. There is reason to believe he will improve dramatically. Maybe Viciedo is of the same ilk.

asindc
05-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Have faith. Ramirez has a history of starting like this. There is reason to believe he will improve dramatically. Maybe Viciedo is of the same ilk.

His minor league track record suggests so.

Hitmen77
05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
It looks like we got 2 out of 3 post game threads with a Star Wars theme this weekend. :nod:

Agreed.

Of course Walker wasn't the problem. KW just likes drafting players who can't hit for ****.

When is the last time KW drafted a player who became a good hitter at the Major League level?

Aaron Rowand? :dunno: He was drafted in 1998 and first came up with the Sox in 2001.

Sox draftees since 2001 that I can think of who have gone on to play MLB ball on other teams are Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

doublem23
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Aaron Rowand? :dunno: He was drafted in 1998 and first came up with the Sox in 2001.

Sox draftees since 2001 that I can think of who have gone on to play MLB ball on other teams are Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

I was going to say Chris Young, but even he's not that good.

Hitmen77
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I was going to say Chris Young, but even he's not that good.

Yeah, it's more that he and Sweeney have succeeded in becoming major league hitters. It's not that either of them are all that exceptional.