PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm just naive. On the other hand, sex sells...

vinny
05-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Apparently the Sox cap was one of New Era's top ten in sales last year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/10-best-selling-era-baseball-hats-170518262.html;_ylt=AqIdFayQTPeRIW.BOQAzlLIRvLYF

But when the writer discuss the Sox cap, he links to this ancient story (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-04-20/news/1993110205_1_white-sox-chicago-white-sox-logo) about a supposed subliminal sex message in the Sox logo.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this stupid theory. Anybody else encounter it before?

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I teach history at a community college. I recently moved into a new office. The previous occupant, a middle-aged, devout Catholic, English teacher (who specializes in Victorian literature), recently visited to see how I had acclimated and decorated. She noticed my large Sox logo flag above the door, dropped her jaw to the floor, covered her mouth, giggled sheepishly like a schoolgirl, and asked, "Does that say SEX?"

Through the years I have had a few students that either made the mistake or thought it was a subliminal message.

tebman
05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Apparently the Sox cap was one of New Era's top ten in sales last year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/10-best-selling-era-baseball-hats-170518262.html;_ylt=AqIdFayQTPeRIW.BOQAzlLIRvLYF

But when the writer discuss the Sox cap, he links to this ancient story (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-04-20/news/1993110205_1_white-sox-chicago-white-sox-logo) about a supposed subliminal sex message in the Sox logo.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this stupid theory. Anybody else encounter it before?

:rolleyes:

The Sox' old-English logo dates to 1949 (WSI has a nice summary of uniform history here (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104)). I remember reading, though I can't find a reference to it now, that Chuck Comiskey came up with the old-English lettering scheme back then.

Somehow I doubt that subliminal messages were on the Sox front office's mind in 1949 when they decided on that logo.

Reminds me of the story (http://www.reverbcentral.com/louie/story.html) about the early-'60s song "Louie Louie." Because the vocal was so slurred it was assumed by bluenose twits that the lyrics were obscene. Even the FBI got involved. The song was nothing of the sort, of course; just a simple pop tune that was poorly recorded.

I mean, really. Some folks have way too much time on their hands.

cub killer
05-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I teach history at a community college. I recently moved into a new office. The previous occupant, a middle-aged, devout Catholic, English teacher (who specializes in Victorian literature), recently visited to see how I had acclimated and decorated. She noticed my large Sox logo flag above the door, dropped her jaw to the floor, covered her mouth, giggled sheepishly like a schoolgirl, and asked, "Does that say SEX?"

Through the years I have had a few students that either made the mistake or thought it was a subliminal message.
And she's supposed to be mature and religious? Mercy.

Really, how infantile do you have to be to derive "sex" from the Sox logo? What is wrong with people?

What's messed up is that companies actually do try to subliminally incorporate the word "sex" into their ads. It's pathetic. In psychology class, we dissected a number of ads for liquor, clothing, etc. that subliminally placed the word "sex" within the ad. Is that really supposed to help sell the product? "Wow, I see sex on this product, I'm buying it!"

There's no way there are people that stupid out there. But companies pay good money to produce these ads, so maybe there are...

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 12:23 AM
It was indeed Chuck Comiskey who ordered the change and added pinstripes before either 1950 or 1951. He did so he said because he wanted to look like the best and the best at that time was the Yankee pinstripes.

He copied the basic design and added his own touch to it...the rest as they say is history.

Lip

asindc
05-06-2012, 12:39 AM
It was indeed Chuck Comiskey who ordered the change and added pinstripes before either 1950 or 1951. He did so he said because he wanted to look like the best and the best at that time was the Yankee pinstripes.

He copied the basic design and added his own touch to it...the rest as they say is history.

Lip

I thought the Sox wore pinstripes long before then.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
I thought the Sox wore pinstripes long before then.Yep.

1914: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1914_chicago.gif

voodoochile
05-06-2012, 03:15 AM
And she's supposed to be mature and religious? Mercy.

Really, how infantile do you have to be to derive "sex" from the Sox logo? What is wrong with people?

What's messed up is that companies actually do try to subliminally incorporate the word "sex" into their ads. It's pathetic. In psychology class, we dissected a number of ads for liquor, clothing, etc. that subliminally placed the word "sex" within the ad. Is that really supposed to help sell the product? "Wow, I see sex on this product, I'm buying it!"

There's no way there are people that stupid out there. But companies pay good money to produce these ads, so maybe there are...

You saying you can't see how the S crossing the top of the O creates a small e in that logo? I've always assumed it was intentional.

LITTLE NELL
05-06-2012, 06:40 AM
We have a magnetic Sox logo on our SUV. In her last year before she retired one of the nurses she worked with came into work and asked my wife '' Why do you have that magnet on the back of your car that says sex''.
No big deal, what really bothers me is when someone says ''Red Sox fan huh?''

DumpJerry
05-06-2012, 06:46 AM
This explains why Cub fans have an inferiority complex when it comes to us.

tebman
05-06-2012, 06:53 AM

:rolling:

Frontman
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Love it.

Can we put this one up there with Styx being accused of Satanic backwards messages on "Snowblind," as song ironically about Cocaine usage and its terrible effect on the user?

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
ASIN:

Yes but they hadn't worn them for years before Comiskey brought them back. He said when he took over a lot of the operations of the team that they were a laughingstock and he wanted to change the culture of things.

That included the uniforms. He said he copied the Yankees model in an effort to start making that cultural change. About the same time he also brought in Frank Lane from the Big 10 office as G.M. and things moved quickly from there.

Lip

tstrike2000
05-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh my.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Sox hats sell like hotcakes in my hometown because it's a shortened version of a gang name there. I see Sox gear all over the place. Naively I thought, wow, the Sox really do have fans everywhere!

chisoxfanatic
05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Sox hats sell like hotcakes in my hometown because it's a shortened version of a gang name there. I see Sox gear all over the place. Naively I thought, wow, the Sox really do have fans everywhere!
If a hat "looks good" to them, many people will buy it. I saw 2 guys selling stuff at the 95th & Stoney Island intersection wearing San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings hats. I doubt they knew who Pavel Datsyuk or Joe Thornton were. I had a student wearing a Hartford Whalers toque this past winter. When I asked him about it, he couldn't name the team it represented.

That said, I don't see how someone can see that in the Sox logo. It doesn't even look like it to me.

LongLiveFisk
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
My friends and I noticed that a long time ago, in fact one of them took a black marker to one of those cheap Sox helmets and blackened out the right half of the "o" in Sox as a joke to spell sex.

We didn't think it was such a big deal and after chuckling for a couple of seconds, we went on with our lives. :dunno:

mahagga73
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
If a hat "looks good" to them, many people will buy it. I saw 2 guys selling stuff at the 95th & Stoney Island intersection wearing San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings hats. I doubt they knew who Pavel Datsyuk or Joe Thornton were. I had a student wearing a Hartford Whalers toque this past winter. When I asked him about it, he couldn't name the team it represented.

That said, I don't see how someone can see that in the Sox logo. It doesn't even look like it to me.
Yeah it's all about what looks good now,there are not very many kids who even follow baseball like we did anymore.In the 70's and 80's baseball was king,now it is kind of a backup sport,kids only care when the local team is doing well.The sox hat just looks cool,hence a lot of people wear them who don't know comiskey from adam.

34rancher
05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
My friends and I noticed that a long time ago, in fact one of them took a black marker to one of those cheap Sox helmets and blackened out the right half of the "o" in Sox as a joke to spell sex.

We didn't think it was such a big deal and after chuckling for a couple of seconds, we went on with our lives. :dunno:

We used black duct tape so when we got home could take the tape off and mom wouldn't kill us for ruining the new hat she had bought for us. Similar idea.

MISoxfan
05-06-2012, 04:25 PM

South Oxnard? I used to see the hat all of the time because of that. Also, I had a friend from bakersfield who said in high school he used a piece of electrical tape on that hat to make it say sex.

GoGoCrede
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
South Oxnard? I used to see the hat all of the time because of that. Also, I had a friend from bakersfield who said in high school he used a piece of electrical tape on that hat to make it say sex.

Yep!

getonbckthr
05-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I always thought it was popular because a lot of rappers wore our merchandise...

cub killer
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Well, hopefully you taught that kid a thing or two about the legacy of the Whalers.

Frontman
05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I always thought it was popular because a lot of rappers wore our merchandise...

I think its the classic black/white/silver trim that's popular. Same reason you see Oakland Raiders and San Antonio Spurs merchandise selling.

MISoxfan
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Yep!

I've seen people turned away from the bar's in downtown ventura (good bar, rookies, dargen's) because they had sox gear. I even heard of a friend who wasn't allowed into one of the places with a red sox hat.

Jerko
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, hopefully you taught that kid a thing or two about the legacy of the Whalers.

She made them listen to Brass Bonanza 500 times instead of giving them a writing assignment.

SteveFakeBlood
05-08-2012, 04:25 PM
We have a magnetic Sox logo on our SUV. In her last year before she retired one of the nurses she worked with came into work and asked my wife '' Why do you have that magnet on the back of your car that says sex''.
No big deal, what really bothers me is when someone says ''Red Sox fan huh?''

For the reasons mentioned in this thread (i.e. people wearing Sox hats for stylistic reasons rather than being fans- honestly, not too concerned about gangs), I rarely ever approach anyone outside the Chicago area wearing a Sox hat (unless, I'm at a game or a place where it would make sense for a legitimate Sox fan to be). Nevertheless, I was with a friend in London who thought he had spotted a fellow Chicagoan because it was a guy wearing a Sox hat. Nope, just a British guy who bought it at a thrift shop because he liked the logo and colors. Nevertheless, he was a teacher who noted that he had had multiple students ask him why he was wearing a hat that said "sex".

I also have had the "Red Sox fan" experience on at least half a dozen occasions in different parts of Florida (used to live in Tallahassee, now in Miami). What's most amazing about that is that in the history of the Red Sox franchise, they have never had an official hat that said "Sox" on it (for that matter, of the seeming millions of Red Sox hats I've seen all over the country, I've never seen one that said "Sox" on it). I don't understand how it's that hard for people (even ones who don't like sports) to simply be aware that there's more than one baseball team called the Sox (and has been for over 100 years)?

~ Steve

HomeFish
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I believe a few years ago they showed all 30 MLB caps to people in England who knew nothing about baseball, and the Sox hat was one of the highest rated for pure aesthetics.