PDA

View Full Version : Sale On New Situation

Lip Man 1
05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Sale spoke with Gonzo Saturday. Says it's not his mechanics, the injury isn't really that big of a deal, that he could start Sunday if they'd let him. Ventura says that thought was given to DL'ing him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sale-warms-to-closers-role-insists-mechanics-didnt-lead-to-elbow-injury-20120505,0,2673521.story

Whole situation seems strange.

Lip

BainesHOF
05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, it is very strange.

I'm going to speculate and say it's a case of Cooper overreacting.

Wedema
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Sale spoke with Gonzo Saturday. Says it's not his mechanics, the injury isn't really that big of a deal, that he could start Sunday if they'd let him. Ventura says that thought was given to DL'ing him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sale-warms-to-closers-role-insists-mechanics-didnt-lead-to-elbow-injury-20120505,0,2673521.story

Whole situation seems strange.

Lip

Very strange situation indeed. I think it goes back to Opening Day, when Robin would not name the closer going into that game. Then Santiago struggles so they use Sale's injury to make him the closer. Then, since Sale isn't ready yet, go to Thornton who gives up the HR on Friday to lose. Then today, go back to Santiago, and when he gets in trouble, finally to the "closer of the future" Reed who gets the job done. I am very confused right now.

TomBradley72
05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I wonder if this is somehow connected to an anticipated trade of Thornton?

DSpivack
05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I wonder if this is somehow connected to an anticipated trade of Thornton?

They already have 2 lefties in the pen besides Thornton. You don't move a young SP from the rotation to the pen because you're trading a 37-year old reliever.

dickallen15
05-06-2012, 08:29 AM
This wasn't a Cooper or Ventura decision. It was what Cooper, Ventura, Hahn, KW, Herm Schneider all decided. Its what's best for the kid. He says he can go out and pitch Sunday. If he did and blew out his elbow, 100% of the people who think he should remain in the rotation and take his turn Sunday would be bitching at the White Sox organization for letting him go out there.

The injury concern is exactly why Chris Sale was available when it was time for the White Sox to select in the first round of the 2010 draft. Supposedly you are not supposed to take relievers in the first round, but if this kid continues to be as solid as he's been in a White Sox uniform for the next 7-10 years, even if its a closer, the White Sox will have done a lot better than they have in most drafts since Larry Himes left town.

TomBradley72
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
They already have 2 lefties in the pen besides Thornton. You don't move a young SP from the rotation to the pen because you're trading a 37-year old reliever.

Well- he's 35 and could a valuable piece for a high payroll contender that has had bullpen injuries (i.e. Yanks)- I could see them anticipating that move coming up-combined with Sale's arm issues

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Just one thing I did notice from his last start was 91-92 on his fastball.

kevingrt
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
This wasn't a Cooper or Ventura decision. It was what Cooper, Ventura, Hahn, KW, Herm Schneider all decided. Its what's best for the kid. He says he can go out and pitch Sunday. If he did and blew out his elbow, 100% of the people who think he should remain in the rotation and take his turn Sunday would be bitching at the White Sox organization for letting him go out there.

The injury concern is exactly why Chris Sale was available when it was time for the White Sox to select in the first round of the 2010 draft. Supposedly you are not supposed to take relievers in the first round, but if this kid continues to be as solid as he's been in a White Sox uniform for the next 7-10 years, even if its a closer, the White Sox will have done a lot better than they have in most drafts since Larry Himes left town.

Exactly why this KW reign as GM needs to end.

DSpivack
05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Well- he's 35 and could a valuable piece for a high payroll contender that has had bullpen injuries (i.e. Yanks)- I could see them anticipating that move coming up-combined with Sale's arm issues

I agree that Thornton could very well be moved this season, but I don't think Sale being moved from the rotation to the pen has much to do with that.

Brian26
05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Exactly why this KW reign as GM needs to end.

I'm not a KW apologist, but any blame for draft picks starts with Reinsdorf and goes down to Laumann.

kevingrt
05-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm not a KW apologist, but any blame for draft picks starts with Reinsdorf and goes down to Laumann.

You're right it's the whole regime in general from JR thru the scouting department to KW.

Noneck
05-06-2012, 04:19 PM

This and much more in my eyes.