PDA

View Full Version : 5/5 - That Should Be Our Closer, Sox 3 Tigers 2 Postgamer

KMcMahon817
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Atta boy, Addison! He should be our guy in the 9th and Sale should be in the rotation.

Can't wait to see the bomb by Dunn. Damn Fox. Nice W! Take the series tomorrow!

voodoochile
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Could not watch, but followed along. Was very happy with Dunn and Reed.

Enjoy the beer shower, Nate.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Boondock Saint
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I am enamored with Addison Reed. He's got stuff and stones, the two things you want in a closer.

edit: Also, I might take a drive out to Detroit to try and catch that Dunn bomb when it comes down.

soxnut1018
05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Adam Dunn's on pace for 48 home runs.

JB98
It's about damn time the Sox had a win like this. Just last night, I was lamenting how the Sox often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but rarely snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Screw Valverde.

Hey Tigers, you like produce? How 'bout them APPLES?

Huge win.

Zakath
Better late than never, Adam. That ball, in the words of Hawk, was kilt. And no one better to hit it off of than Jose Valassclown.

That should be Santiago's last chance at closer.

LITTLE NELL
Great win but we need a blow out win, I'm an old man, I can't take these kind of games anymore.
Please no more Santiago. Reed and Sale should be our closers for the next 10 years.

vinny
05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Triple good day:

- Dunn with a game-winning HR
- Stuck it to that asshat Valverde
- Addison Reed shows he's got the goods.

October26
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Phew! Sox snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Thank you, Adam Dunn & Addison Reed; feels good to say:

:winner

spongyfungy
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
That Dunn homer was deep.

Also funny to hear McCarver struggling to pronounce Scherzer

Parrothead
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I am enamored with Addison Reed. He's got stuff and stones, the two things you want in a closer.

But Sale is the Sox closer:D:

ZombieRob
05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Reed has closer type movement on his fastball. We'll probably have to wait now so the Sox can justify putting Sale as closer. I do think Santiago has a chance to replace Thornton down the line.

Nelfox02
so that is what it feels like to be the team that TAKES a late game instead of the team that BLOWS it.........much better

Nice win

What was with Tank today? that AB with AJ at third was awful.......Robin, please no more Santiago closing......thank you

shingo10
Last night I said this team never has shows any balls to come back and win one in the 9th so I stand corrected. Very pleased with the bounce back as this is the type of win that could really give us some momentum...if only Axelrod wasn't starting tomorrow. But hey maybe Detroit does as bad as we do against minor league pitchers. Anyway, don't mean to be negative this was a GREAT win.

Good to see Robin has these guys fighting until the end.

Zakath
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Great win but we need a blow out win, I'm an old man, I can't take these kind of games anymore.
Please no more Santiago. Reed and Sale should be our closers for the next 10 years.

I think you hand Reed the ball every chance you get now. The guy's got the stuff; let him prove that he can handle it.

If Sale's got some weakness, let him miss tomorrow's start and see how the week goes. The next time that spot comes up in the rotation will be Friday at home vs. KC, unless we do some juggling due to the Monday day-nighter.

Tragg
05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Great win.

Enough with the bunting, especially at he top of the order, Ventura.

pudge
05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I've said it a million times, drives me crazy that the major league culture insists on a "closer". If we have talent like Sale and Reed coming out of the pen, why can't they share that job? I have to believe in some instances Reed will match up better and in others Sale. I actually like that our crappy bullpen is going to get an arm like Sale, even though I know people go nuts when a talented pitcher isn't turned into a starter. There's no doubt it leaves a hole in our rotation - Sale was a big reason why our starting pitching was looking like it could compete. Without Danks turning it around this is going to be tough.

On this game, Dunn comes through - if he can keep this up and Rios can contribute, we're in decent shape.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you, Dunn, for taking baseball seriously this year.

Thank you, Reed, for cleaning up Santiago's mess and closing the door on the Tigers.

Thank you, Valverde, for serving up that meatball to Dunn and showing that your lucky streak from last year is no longer and that you're back to being that bad pitcher you were pre-2011.

Thank you, Gavin, for continuing your mastery over the Tigers, despite the ND.

Cheers to a Cinco de Mayo White Sox Winner! :gulp:

amsteel
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM

I. love. this.

If Sale is tender, put him on the DL. His elbow isn't gonna heal by throwing 95mph fastballs. If he wants to rest it, he can help Hector pack his bags. Reed should be the closer until he proves otherwise.

DickAllen72
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
It's about damn time the Sox had a win like this. Just last night, I was lamenting how the Sox often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but rarely snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Screw Valverde.
Yep, big win. I thought they were going to blow it for sure after Beckham let the winning run get to second base by not covering but Addison Reed came through. :bandance:

LITTLE NELL
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I think you hand Reed the ball every chance you get now. The guy's got the stuff; let him prove that he can handle it.

If Sale's got some weakness, let him miss tomorrow's start and see how the week goes. The next time that spot comes up in the rotation will be Friday at home vs. KC, unless we do some juggling due to the Monday day-nighter.

Seems like they made up their minds and Sale is going to be a closer.
I'm fine with 2 closers, Staley and Lown did it for the Sox in 59.

DickAllen72
05-05-2012, 06:07 PM
I've said it a million times, drives me crazy that the major league culture insists on a "closer". If we have talent like Sale and Reed coming out of the pen, why can't they share that job?
Maybe they will.

pudge
05-05-2012, 06:07 PM
I. love. this.

If Sale is tender, put him on the DL. His elbow isn't gonna heal by throwing 95mph fastballs. If he wants to rest it, he can help Hector pack his bags. Reed should be the closer until he proves otherwise.

Would you potentially want Sale as a closer for the next decade or have him as a great starter for two seasons and then a busted career? I think this is what the Sox are seeing. As for THIS year, I have no idea if not putting him on the DL is a smart move, sounds iffy.

Zakath
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Going to have to take your word for that one. I'm old, but that one's got me by 6 years. :D:

sox1970
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
It'll get lost in all of the other stuff with this game, but Floyd pitched a real good game.

DickAllen72
Man, I'm with you on all of this! :gulp:

LITTLE NELL
Going to have to take your word for that one. I'm old, but that one's got me by 6 years. :D:

Trust me, saw it live.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n1nYaMwkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004LM3KLY/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods)

FielderJones
05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
If Sale is tender, put him on the DL. His elbow isn't gonna heal by throwing 95mph fastballs.

You're essentially putting Coop in the same category as Rothschild. Do you really think Sale's going to be doing the towel drill next?

I think Coop knows the difference between normal soreness and structural damage, in consultation with Herm.

asindc
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Gossage and Forster in early 70s (can't remember exact years).

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM

I relate. I don't mind the game breaking my heart but they're gonna stop it.:(:
Please, no more Santiago closing. Sticking it to Valverde.....

:bliss:

amsteel
05-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Would you potentially want Sale as a closer for the next decade or have him as a great starter for two seasons and then a busted career? I think this is what the Sox are seeing. As for THIS year, I have no idea if not putting him on the DL is a smart move, sounds iffy.

Unless Sale plans on being the next Mariano Rivera, he won't be closing for 10 years. He's shown talent as a starter this year so why change that? Pitching is a violent, somewhat unnatural motion, There's a really big difference in just doing it less and not doing it at all.

LITTLE NELL
05-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Unless Sale plans on being the next Mariano Rivera, he won't be closing for 10 years. He's shown talent as a starter this year so why change that? Pitching is a violent, somewhat unnatural motion, There's a really big difference in just doing it less and not doing it at all.

The powers that be know something that we don't.

chisox12
05-05-2012, 06:21 PM
He's got stuff and stones, the two things you want in a closer.

Yes he does. Should have been the closer since the beginning of the season.

LITTLE NELL
05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Lost in all the excitement was a very good job by Gavin, deserved a better fate than a no decision.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Trust me, saw it live.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n1nYaMwkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004LM3KLY/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods)

Thanks for the reminder. Don't think they were even called closers, just relievers. :smile:

Paulwny
05-05-2012, 06:31 PM

The powers that be know something that we don't.

Steve Stone pointed out yesterday ~ that throwing fast pitches puts less strain on an elbow, closers usually throw heat. Starters throw many more off speed pitches which put more strain on an elbow.

Paulwny
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Don't think they were even called closers, just relievers. :smile:

The 1959 one-two punch.

cards press box
05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Maybe they will.

I think that is where this is going. And if a move to the bullpen keeps Sale healthy, Sale and Reed could well dominate the end of ballgames. I do like the Lown/Staley analogy.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't know if Forster and Goose actually 'shared' the closers role. Forster was the late inning guy, with Goose as the middle man for most of those seasons they were together. Forster won the A.L. Fireman of the Year Award in 74, then Goose won it in 75. Those two, together with Bart Johnson in 71 before he started to get hurt, put real fear in the hearts of hitters...those three guys could bring it.

The last time I can remember the Sox having a "closer by committee" took place in 2003. Tom Gordon had 12 saves with Koch and Marte gaining 11.

Santiago is having some real issues and I'm surprised by that. He looked great in the spring and everyone including Jeff Torborg when I spoke with him said he was for real and should be the closer.

Amazed the Sox actually came from behind in the late innings to win one. That's always nice.

Also it's the first time this year they won a game scoring three runs or less.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Don't know if Forster and Goose actually 'shared' the closers role. Forster was the late inning guy, with Goose as the middle man for most of those seasons they were together. Forster won the A.L. Fireman of the Year Award in 74, then Goose won it in 75. Those two, together with Bart Johnson in 71 before he started to get hurt, put real fear in the hearts of hitters...those three guys could bring it.

The last time I can remember the Sox having a "closer by committee" took place in 2003. Tom Gordon had 12 saves with Koch and Marte gaining 11.

Santiago is having some real issues and I'm surprised by that. He looked great in the spring and everyone including Jeff Torborg when I spoke with him said he was for real and should be the closer.

Amazed the Sox actually came from behind in the late innings to win one. That's always nice.

Lip

Forster was the closer in 72, 73 and 74 and Goose got the job in 75.
Goose became a starter in 76 and they were both traded for Richie Zisk that winter.

BainesHOF
05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
If you haven't seen it yet, you need to see Dunn's homer. I think it's the longest one a Sox player has hit in years. The estimation of 420-something feet was way off. Perhaps Detroit didn't want to give that much credit to an opponent.

Floyd was great.

I love how De Aza led off the ninth with a lined single and stole second on the first pitch.

I'd go easy on Beckham for not being at second. The outfielders were playing deep so they could prevent the tying run from scoring. If the ball is thrown to second on that play, there's a decent chance that the runner at third would have continued home. I'm thinking Konerko should have been at second. I think that play was just one of those things.

Bye bye, Santiago. It was good to seem him use his fastball more, but his performance was still lacking.

What the heck is going on with Sale's move to the pen? If it is what's best for him, then why isn't he happy with it? The whole thing is weird.

Zakath
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Lost in all the excitement was a very good job by Gavin, deserved a better fate than a no decision.

7 IP, 7 H (4 of them in the 2nd), 0 BB, 6 K. 3 really good starts in a row (he was the opposing pitcher when Milone shut us down in Oakland) and 4 of 6 this season.

Outside of Danks (whose ERA exceeds 6.5), we've gotten some high quality starts throughout the season.

tstrike2000
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow, that was a bomb from Dunn. Thank you Robin for getting Santiago out of there in the 9th. Reed definitely can throw some gas, same for Nate Jones. Floyd deserved the W, he pitched a nice game.

PalehosePlanet
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Exactly, four disgustingly cheap "hits" in the 2nd amounted to 2 horse**** runs, but Gavin kept his cool and kept mowing them down.

After yesterday's debacle I said that I would take a day off from Sox baseball today, yet there I was sitting on pins and needles in the 9th, not only fearing, but expecting the worst. Thankfully, I was wrong. Let's win the series tomorrow.

PalehosePlanet
05-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Wow, that was a bomb from Dunn. Thank you Robin for getting Santiago out of there in the 9th. Reed definitely can throw some gas, same for Nate Jones. Floyd deserved the W, he pitched a nice game.

He waited a batter too long to bring in Reed, but all's well that ends well.

Tragg
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
And let me congratulate the Tiger fans for throwing Dunn's home run ball back on the field.

GoGoCrede
05-05-2012, 07:35 PM
And let me congratulate the Tiger fans for throwing Dunn's home run ball back on the field.

What a moron. Although not as bad as in 2008 when some dumb Twins fan threw a Griffey home run ball back.

soxfanreggie
05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Proud of how we fought back in this one. Anytime you can respond to "get one back" after a game like last night is great! Now if only we can take the series tomorrow.

vinny
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Congrats to our boys for their first ninth inning come-from-behind win of the season. :gulp:

Last year's team, when behind in the ninth, was 2-65. And those two wins came in extras, so last year they never came from behind in the ninth and managed to hold the lead.

ChiSoxGal85
05-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Triple good day:

- Dunn with a game-winning HR
- Stuck it to that asshat Valverde
- Addison Reed shows he's got the goods.

:nod: and 4) Floyd's gutsy pitching.

I LOL'd when the Fox announcers said the fans who threw the ball back on the field had to use a relay, because it was hit so far out.

TDog
05-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Lip

Of course, 2003 wasn't really a closer-by-committee season. You had different closers for different stretches. It started out with Koch, who struck out the side against the Tigers in the home opener but would eventually be relieved of his duties after his season turned ugly. In the early 1970s, Forster tended to get more save opportunities than Gossage, but eventually both were considered closers, with Tanner looking more at the matchups and availability than defining one the setup man and one the closer. Gossage didn't come up until 1972 when Forster already had a closer season under his belt. After the two were traded to play for Tanner in Pittsburgh in 1977, Tanner pretty much exclusively went with Gossage as the closer. Before Gossage emerged as the game's best closer, sort of changing the way bullpens were managed, if you could bring out two elite hard-throwers, one right-handed and one left-handed, to close games, you were considered to be better off than a bullpen relying on one pitcher to close.

Forster earned the confidence in Tanner to close in a game against the Yankees in April 1971 when he came in with the bases loaded and none out in the 11th inning of a 5-5 game in Yankee stadium, Tanner not wanting to chance a passed ball by bringing in his usual closer. Forster, only 19 and pitching in only his fourth major league game, retired Horace Clarke and Bobby Murcer and got out of the jam when Gene Michael was caught attempting to steal home with Thurman Munson at the plate. Michael was probably trying to force the teeanger to balk. The Sox lost the game in the 12th after Forster put two runners on and the closer came in to give up the Felipe Alou single that lost the game, but the 11th earned Forster a lot of points with Tanner. Forster got his first career save four days later in relief of Tommy John, as the established closer, Wilbur Wood, was moved into the starting rotation, eventually replacing John as the ace of the staff.

I wonder if Reed made a similar impression on Robin Ventura today.

Bucky F. Dent
05-05-2012, 09:13 PM

:)

vinny
05-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Fox showed some stat in the 8th or 9th, can't remember which, something about Detroit having the longest streak of wins when leading coming into the 9th inning (I think). It was pretty impressive, something like 77, and I thought they said a loss against the Sox a couple of years back was the last time they had coughed up the lead in the 9th.

Not sure if the streak was still active though, because I think they lost to the Rays early in the season when Verlander **** the bed in the 9th and Valverde couldn't bail him out.

Patrick134
05-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Fox showed some stat in the 8th or 9th, can't remember which, something about Detroit having the longest streak of wins when leading coming into the 9th inning (I think). It was pretty impressive, something like 77, and I thought they said a loss against the Sox a couple of years back was the last time they had coughed up the lead in the 9th.

Not sure if the streak was still active though, because I think they lost to the Rays early in the season when Verlander **** the bed in the 9th and Valverde couldn't bail him out.

Without looking anything up, I swear I remember Dye hitting a 9th inning homer in Detroit to win a game a few years back.

Zakath
05-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Without looking anything up, I swear I remember Dye hitting a 9th inning homer in Detroit to win a game a few years back.

You're probably thinking of this game (July 25, 2008):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200807250.shtml

DrCrawdad
05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Could not watch, but followed along. Was very happy with Dunn and Reed.

Enjoy the beer shower, Nate.

I sure hope you get a chance to see a replay of that Dunn HR.

...Also, I might take a drive out to Detroit to try and catch that Dunn bomb when it comes down.

Better late than never, Adam. That ball, in the words of Hawk, was kilt...

That Dunn homer was deep.

Wow, that was a bomb from Dunn...

That was one of the longest HR's I've witnessed, albeit live on TV. McCarver said it was easily the longest of the year so far and IIRC he thought the Detroit estimation was short.

And beyond the distance of the drive, I especially enjoyed the timing of it. And I'm so happy to see Dunn playing as he has.

Kudos to Adam for working in the offseason, the efforts in training are paying off on the field.

TDog
05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Congrats to our boys for their first ninth inning come-from-behind win of the season. :gulp:

Last year's team, when behind in the ninth, was 2-65. And those two wins came in extras, so last year they never came from behind in the ninth and managed to hold the lead.

In one of those games, they scored four runs in the ninth in Kansas City after Soria retired the first two batters. They lost the lead in the bottom of the ninth but eventually won. Of course, the record you quoted is deceptive because, many of those 65 losses were out of hand before the ninth inning.

For the record, this was the second time this season the Tigers have lost a game after taking a lead into the ninth. It could be worse, considering the Tigers won their opener after Valverde blew a two-run lead in the ninth.

Last year, the Tigers were undefeated in games where they led after eight. This is a different season.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-06-2012, 12:44 AM
That was one of the longest HR's I've witnessed, albeit live on TV. McCarver said it was easily the longest of the year so far and IIRC he thought the Detroit estimation was short.

And beyond the distance of the drive, I especially enjoyed the timing of it. And I'm so happy to see Dunn playing as he has.

Kudos to Adam for working in the offseason, the efforts in training are paying off on the field.

My favorite part of the home run was Dunn taking his sweet time admiring it. About time someone showed up Valverde for a change...even better it was one of us.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2012, 01:49 AM
I wasn't home during the game, just now watching it on MLB.tv. What is it with Santiago getting the first two outs in the ninth, and then getting hit? It has to be mental.

SoxSpeed22
05-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I wasn't home during the game, just now watching it on MLB.tv. What is it with Santiago getting the first two outs in the ninth, and then getting hit? It has to be mental.Once again, his fastball was the only pitch he could get over. When Raburn was up, he fouled off of a lot of pitches and was eventually able to time his fastball.
Maybe he could get to work on a cutter with Coop...

Foulke You
05-06-2012, 01:57 AM
My favorite part of the home run was Dunn taking his sweet time admiring it. About time someone showed up Valverde for a change...even better it was one of us.

I enjoyed that too. Valverde shows up hitters all the time. Nice to see our slugger admire his HR against him. I don't blame Dunn for watching it though because that was one worthy of admiration. Dunn has such an easy effortless swing yet it goes 450 feet when he connects. Didn't get to see much of that last year so I'm getting to appreciate it.

doublem23
05-06-2012, 02:01 AM
****ing figures this is the one game in a week and a half I don't watch. :cool:

Nice win, let's get em tomorrow and get back to .500 before shipping off to Cleveland

Foulke You
05-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Once again, his fastball was the only pitch he could get over. When Raburn was up, he fouled off of a lot of pitches and was eventually able to time his fastball.
Maybe he could get to work on a cutter with Coop...

In Santiago's defense, I thought he got a couple screwballs over that the ump didn't give him. It's an awkward pitch and I've noticed some umps seem to call it where the catcher grabs it and not where it crosses the plate. Overall, you are correct though. He has a good fastball but if it is all you are throwing for strikes , eventually you get beaten.

thomas35forever
05-06-2012, 02:13 AM
So we follow up a loss that should have been a win with a win that should have been a loss. That's fine. Balances it all out.

kufram
05-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Nice to see a big surprise HR from Dunn right when we needed it most. May it be just the first like that.

Re; Dunn's struggles last year... maybe he didn't really do that much wrong. Reference A. Pujols.

ChiSoxGal85
05-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Nice to see a big surprise HR from Dunn right when we needed it most. May it be just the first like that.

Re; Dunn's struggles last year... maybe he didn't really do that much wrong. Reference A. Pujols.
Since Pujols' struggles, I'm calling it the Al-Dunn Syndrome - when a powerful hitter signs a big contract for a new team in a new league, and struggles mightily in the first year of the contract. Fortunately, Adam is showing signs of a complete recovery.

October26
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Since Pujols' struggles, I'm calling it the Al-Dunn Syndrome - when a powerful hitter signs a big contract for a new team in a new league, and struggles mightily in the first year of the contract. Fortunately, Adam is showing signs of a complete recovery.

:thumbsup: & thank goodness!