PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Albert Pujols Watch

RKMeibalane
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Albert Pujols' power-outage has been the subject of much discussion over the past few weeks: the concern over his lack of production at the plate is heightened by the fact that this is his first season facing regular American League pitching.

To that effect, I've created the *Official* Albert Pujols Watch thread, which will be dedicated to his exploits at the plate. Albert entered this evening's game against the Toronto Blue Jays (which I am watching on MLBTV) with a .202 batting average, 0 home runs, and 5 runs batted in.

In his first at-bat tonight, Pujols flied to RF. His average now sits at a Royce Clayton-esque .200.

RKMeibalane
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Pujols has hit the ball hard twice, but to no avail. He's now 0-2 this evening, and his batting average has fallen to .198. For those of you with MLBTV, you may want to take a look at the Blue Jays defensive strategy against Albert. Despite his being a right-handed hitter, they're employing a shift, with three infielders on the left side of the infield.

We've seen plenty of these for left-handed hitters (Ryan Howard, David Ortiz, Jim Thome, Adam Dunn), but I've never seen one for a right-handed hitter before tonight. The Blue Jays leave a huge hole near the second base bag, with Adam Lind remaining near first base (this is probably why a right-handed shift isn't used, as it could run the risk of moving the first baseman too far from the bag).

JB98
05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Albert Pujols' power-outage has been the subject of much discussion over the past few weeks: the concern over his lack of production at the plate is heightened by the fact that this is his first season facing regular American League pitching.

To that effect, I've created the *Official* Albert Pujols Watch thread, which will be dedicated to his exploits at the plate. Albert entered this evening's game against the Toronto Blue Jays (which I am watching on MLBTV) with a .202 batting average, 0 home runs, and 5 runs batted in.

In his first at-bat tonight, Pujols flied to RF. His average now sits at a Royce Clayton-esque .200.

His problem is simple: I picked him in the first round of my fantasy draft this year. Last year, I ruined Hanley Ramirez and Adam Dunn. This year, I've put my curse on Pujols and Mariano Rivera.

RKMeibalane
05-04-2012, 11:16 PM
His problem is simple: I picked him in the first round of my fantasy draft this year. Last year, I ruined Hanley Ramirez and Adam Dunn. This year, I've put my curse on Pujols and Mariano Rivera.

I'm sorry to hear that, though I'm sure Hanley would rather play for you than the idiot he's currently working under.

:ozzie

"Damn, ****, ****!"

RKMeibalane
05-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Pujols struck out to end the sixth inning of the Angels-Blue Jays contest, making him 0-3 on the evening. His batting average is now .196, and it's worth noting that fans were booing after his latest at-bat.

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Why didn't you pick up Peralta while you were at it?:angry:

JB98
05-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Why didn't you pick up Peralta while you were at it?:angry:

I have Avila, yet he still beat up on the Sox tonight. :dunno:

MUsoxfan
05-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Pujols struck out to end the sixth inning of the Angels-Blue Jays contest, making him 0-3 on the evening. His batting average is now .196, and it's worth noting that fans were booing after his latest at-bat.

I'd love so much for him to have worse numbers than Dunn '11

RKMeibalane
05-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I'd love so much for him to have worse numbers than Dunn '11

I don't know if that's going to happen, but it would be interesting to see what ESPN would say about it? Pujols grounded out to 3B in what looks to be his final at-bat of the evening, dropping his average to .194 after an 0-4 night. Gordon Beckham is outplaying him.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't know if that's going to happen, but it would be interesting to see what ESPN would say about it? Pujols grounded out to 3B in what looks to be his final at-bat of the evening, dropping his average to .194 after an 0-4 night. Gordon Beckham is outplaying him.

I'm not sure if it's the pressure of a $250m+ deal or him mailing it in because he knows he's got $250m+ coming to him either way

RKMeibalane
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if it's the pressure of a $250m+ deal or him mailing it in because he knows he's got $250m+ coming to him either way

He does seem to be pressing a little, as he chased several pitches outside the zone that he would have swung at in seasons past. I also think there's a cultural adjustment to playing in Orange County, as opposed to the baseball hotbed of St. Louis.

As an aside, can you imagine the drama if he were playing this way for the Cubs? Those fans would be pissing themselves even more than they already do. :cool:

doublem23
05-05-2012, 03:48 AM

Probably right now it's the former, but it could possibly one day be the latter.

At any rate, I figure any Simpsons fans out there should get a kick out of this

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/albert_pujols_no_homers.jpg

Moses_Scurry
05-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Probably right now it's the former, but it could possibly one day be the latter.

At any rate, I figure any Simpsons fans out there should get a kick out of this

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/albert_pujols_no_homers.jpg

Magnificent. "We're allowed one!"

tstrike2000
05-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Don't feel bad. In my fantasy draft, I had Ryan Zimmerman, Mike Morse, Jose Bautista, and Cliff Lee among my first handful of picks. Morse is out until June with a lat injury, Zimmerman is on the DL, Cliff Lee is on the DL, and Joey Bats is hitting .180. You're not the only one who feels like there's some sort of curse on the players.

vinny
05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Pujols Pulled, Predictably Pissed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/slumping-angels-star-pujols-gets-220717974--mlb.html

RKMeibalane
05-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Pujols Pulled, Predictably Pissed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/slumping-angels-star-pujols-gets-220717974--mlb.html

I don't blame him. Every player wants to play every day, and Pujols would like to have as many opportunities as possible to get back on track.

Boondock Saint
05-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't blame him. Every player wants to play every day, and Pujols would like to have as many opportunities as possible to get back on track.

To hell with that. If you're having a stretch like he's having, you should expect to sit. The team's success is more important than one guy, no matter who it is, fixing his swing. He can work on his swing in BP.

RKMeibalane
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
To hell with that. If you're having a stretch like he's having, you should expect to sit. The team's success is more important than one guy, no matter who it is, fixing his swing. He can work on his swing in BP.

He should expect to sit because of one bad month in what has otherwise been one of most prolific offensive careers in baseball history? I would be more worried about him if he didn't want to be out there: besides, who's going to replace him in the lineup? Vernon Wells, with Morales moving to 1B? He's been just as bad, if not worse.

Boondock Saint
05-05-2012, 11:45 PM
He should expect to sit because of one bad month in what has otherwise been one of most prolific offensive careers in baseball history? I would be more worried about him if he didn't want to be out there: besides, who's going to replace him in the lineup? Vernon Wells, with Morales moving to 1B? He's been just as bad, if not worse.

Until he can contribute at the plate, yes. Adam Dunn's career numbers didn't do **** for the Sox last year, and Pujols' career numbers aren't doing **** for the Angels now. It's been a month, and he hasn't figured it out. He can deal with the benching like a big boy. He knows he deserves it.

delben91
05-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Until he can contribute at the plate, yes. Adam Dunn's career numbers didn't do **** for the Sox last year, and Pujols' career numbers aren't doing **** for the Angels now. It's been a month, and he hasn't figured it out. He can deal with the benching like a big boy. He knows he deserves it.

He's probably got options left, send him to AAA and let him work it out there.

RKMeibalane
05-05-2012, 11:53 PM

I guess the following players should also be sitting then: Jose Bautista, Hanley Ramirez, Eric Hosmer, Justin Upton, James Loney, Adam Lind, etc.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2012, 01:00 AM
I guess the following players should also be sitting then: Jose Bautista, Hanley Ramirez, Eric Hosmer, Justin Upton, James Loney, Adam Lind, etc.

If they've spent an entire month hitting under the Mendoza line, then yes they should. I don't see why it's different because these guys were hitting before this season. They're not hitting now.

Hendu
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Pujols just broke the seal by hitting a 2-run bomb.

sox1970
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Bout time.

SephClone89
05-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Bout time.

Maybe he won't have to hang 'em up after all.

TDog
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM

I really was hoping he wouldn't hit any home runs this year. Not that that was going to happen.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I really was hoping he wouldn't hit any home runs this year. Not that that was going to happen.

Why? He doesn't play for the A's. :cool:

TDog
05-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Why? He doesn't play for the A's. :cool:

I always cheer against big-money free agents unless they are signed by the White Sox or don't change teams. The Angels gave Puljos a ridiculous contract to leave St. Louis, and I don't think it's so bad for baseball if the Angels are punished for it.