PDA

View Full Version : *Official* May The Fourth be with Beckham, DET 5, SOX 4 Walkoff Misery Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Thornton, for screwing Peavy out of a win.

A triple short of the cycle; who still wants to bench/demote Beckham?

EDIT: My apologies to the mod staff for posting this in the wrong forum.

patbooyah
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Thornton now 21 for 47 in career save opportunities. I'm gonna go ahead and fax that stat to Robin prior to tomorrow's game.

soxinem1
05-04-2012, 08:58 PM
This was one of those games you just had a bad feeling about, and it was well-founded.

May is definitely off to a ugly start.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure why this **** still surprises me

Tragg
05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
It seems like this crap has been happening a lot this year.

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Can't blame Juan Pierre for this one.

infohawk
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
No more Thornton as closer please.

Dick Allen
Enough of this ****. Enough. :angry:

mzh
You knew there was gonna be a learning curve for Robin, but his bad bullpen managing has already cost 3 or 4 games this year. I just don't understand how you can send him out there when you have a 25 year old fireballer with a 0 ERA ready in the bullpen :angry:

shingo10
Sale can't be ready fast enough.

We blow way too many games in the 9th and never have the balls to come back and win one.

GlassSox
05-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Ever since the all star game, Thornton cannot pitch in the 9th inning. :(:

Patrick134
I like Matt a lot, closer is just not a role that suits him. When 80% of your pitches are straight fastballs , you will get pounded.

Viva Medias B's
Why Robin why?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
If I've said it once, I've said it a billion times.

Matt. Thornton. Is. NOT. A. CLOSER!!!!!!

How many games does he have to blow to get that fact through our management's heads?

WhiteSox5187
Some guys just don't have what it takes to be a closer for whatever reason and Thornton is one of those guys. Hopefully Sale can do better.

mzh
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Sale can't be ready fast enough.

We blow way too many games in the 9th and never have the balls to come back and win one.
This +53458769837968345. I honestly can't remember the last time we executed a walk off win, never mind a clutch HR.

PalehosePlanet
Third game we've **** away in the 9th already.

I said to the wife when they flashed Jah-hahnny stats before the AB w/0 HR's: No HR's...that worries me.

And sho-nuff Matt gives it up on 0-2; nothing but fastballs again.

I'm taking a day off tomorrow.

ChiSoxGal85
**** **** **** ****. :angry: :angry: :angry: That is all.

infohawk
Melton's right...fastball after fastball after fastball from Thornton. Can't close. Just can't.

Nelfox02
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I have zero data to back this up, but my god it sure seems like we blow a lot of leads/ties 8th inning or later the last 3 seasons including this one. If we are down after 7 we lose.....occasionally force extras where it seems like we almost always lose eventually anyway.

Between the Sale thing and that ending......rough day in Sox land.....

Tragg
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
We're moving Sale back to the bullpen?
What a waste. Ridiculous. He's our 2nd to best starter. Starters are far more valuable than bullpen pitchers.

GlassSox
05-04-2012, 09:05 PM

How many games does he have to blow to get that fact through our management's heads?

:thumbsup:

fram40

The only surprise for me was that it was Peralta in the 9th. I expected it was going to be Fielder in the 8th

So much for the great bullpen.

damn

Hitmen77

Yeah, I wasn't surprised at all sadly enough.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Beckham had a great game a few days ago then was back to being awful. Don't give me this "who still wants to bench/demote Beckham" crap after another good game. Yes he had a good game but he needs to do it consistently. I'm sure he will do just well enough to not be sent down, then after the June deadline where he would have to clear waivers, his numbers will fall off a cliff.

WhiteSox5187
The good news is that Beckham is starting to hit well. He has a bit of a leg kick now and that should do him a world of good.

infohawk
This Sox team is good enough to compete, but with a narrow margin for error on most nights. There are going to be a lot of close games. Losses like this are brutal to their chances.

Parrothead
05-04-2012, 09:08 PM
No more Thornton as closer please.

Thought Chris Sale was the Sox closer.:D:

soxinem1
Melton's right...fastball after fastball after fastball from Thornton. Can't close. Just can't.

Thornton developed a nice slider a few years ago, but refuses to throw it for over two years.

Randy Johnson threw gas too, but his off-speed stuff is what gave his fastball more effectiveness.

Does Thornton actually think he will be the one guy who can throw gas over and over and over and always get the hitters out?:scratch:

LongLiveFisk

Some things you just can't put a number on.

JB98
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
It's really a shame. The Sox played well tonight. I was worried about the bullpen at the start of the year. At first, it seemed my fears were unfounded. But we've had three of these meltdowns already this year.

When you're an offensively-challenged team, you gotta be able to close out with a one- or two-run lead late. This Sox team isn't going to be able to win a lot of 8-1 games. Gotta win 4-3 and 4-2 most of the time.

Parrothead
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
We're moving Sale back to the bullpen?
What a waste. Ridiculous. He's our 2nd to best starter. Starters are far more valuable than bullpen pitchers.

Not according to the Sox. They rather have 9 closers. Each one could pitch 1 inning then.

MISoxfan
05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Beckham had a great game a few days ago then was back to being awful. Don't give me this "who still wants to bench/demote Beckham" crap after another good game. Yes he had a good game but he needs to do it consistently. I'm sure he will do just well enough to not be sent down, then after the June deadline where he would have to clear waivers, his numbers will fall off a cliff.

He was 3-4 a few days ago, then was 0-2 with a walk, then 2-4, and now 3-4 again. Does having 0-2 game really count as going right back to being awful?

Does any team in baseball have 3 losses when leading after 8? Just wondering.

kevingrt
Today really sucked.

Not much else to say.

amsteel
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Once again everything was just good enough...to lose to a slightly superior team.

WhiteSox5187
Once again everything was just good enough...to lose to a slightly superior team.

Good teams win close games, we are not a good team.

SI1020
Today really sucked.

Not much else to say. You can say that again. An absolutely dreadful day for the Sox.

EdHerman12
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
For God's sake Thornton shave that silly beard off your face! MLB Network is scrolling that Sale has some sort of elbow problem and is being moved to pen....We keep losing to teams in the division and it's gonna be a long season...

Lip Man 1
Nelfox:

Can't answer for 2011 but I can tell you that in 2010 the Sox blew and lost nine games where they had the lead going into the 8th inning or later, that includes some extra inning games.

This season as has already been pointed out, three in the 9th inning.

"I'm forever blowing ballgames..."

Lip

Zakath
Peavy missed the spot on the pitch to Cabrera that put them within 1, then Thornton wasn't even close to the spot on the HR to Peralta.

Once Avila got the single in the ninth, it should have been a no-brainer to bring in Reed for Peralta.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM

We used to call posters who made such gloom and doom predictions "dark clouds."

Give the guy a chance. The Sox never were going anywhere this year. It's a rebuilding year. You'll be a lot less depressed if you adjust your expectations accordingly.

:smile:

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Nelfox:

Can't answer for 2011 but I can tell you that in 2010 the Sox blew and lost nine games where they had the lead going into the 8th inning or later, that includes some extra inning games.

This season as has already been pointed out, three in the 9th inning.

"I'm forever blowing ballgames..."

Lip

In 2010 Jenks sucked and then there was that two week period where Putz and Thornton went down with arm injuries and it was pretty much down hill after there.

guillensdisciple
05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow- how many more games are we going to lose before Reed becomes closer?

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow- how many more games are we going to lose before Reed becomes closer?

Seeing as how Sale is going to be the closer starting on Monday, I would wager we are going to have to lose a lot of games in the 9th before he gets moved.

Parrothead
05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Seeing as how Sale is going to be the closer starting on Monday, I would wager we are going to have to lose a lot of games in the 9th before he gets moved.

Maybe the move of Sale to "Closer" is just a way for him to get rest without putting him on DL. He will probably be used only once a week since the Sox don't seem to be on track to win 1/2 thier games.

tstrike2000
05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, I hope that puts an end to Thornton at the end of games. We know that story.

Jerko
05-04-2012, 09:27 PM
*** Thornton gets people out in the 8th inning with the same pitches. The reason he can't close is between his ears imo

Brian26
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I like Matt a lot, closer is just not a role that suits him. When 80% of your pitches are straight fastballs , you will get pounded.

Melton on the postgame sounds unsure about Thornton's future because he basically only has one pitch right now...and that pitch is borderline mediocre.

chisoxfanatic
05-04-2012, 09:38 PM
*** Thornton gets people out in the 8th inning with the same pitches. The reason he can't close is between his ears imo
Truth. I'm hoping he's never put in these situations again. I'm afraid it might mess with his abilities to do what he's good at--getting holds!

Irishsox1
05-04-2012, 09:40 PM
If anyone can close games, please contact the White Sox. Thanks.

sox1970
05-04-2012, 09:42 PM
If anyone can close games, please contact the White Sox. Thanks.

Addison Reed has already made his case. They choose not to listen.

Konerko05
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Peavy should not have started the 8th.

Thornton should have not have started the 9th.

Ventura needs to start learning how to manage a pitching staff.

There is no reason Peavy should be throwing 120 pitches after pitching two complete games. That already gave me a bad feeling regardless if we had won this game.

Where the hell was Addison Reed during all of this? Yes, I know the answer is "warming up in the bullpen."

Dreary day for White Sox.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Sox have lost seven of nine since the disaster in Oakland.

Kind of a repeat of last year when they started 7-4, had the game won against the A's...blew it and went right down the toilet.

These games do seem to have a carry over effect with them.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Kind of a repeat of last year when they started 7-4, had the game won against the A's...blew it and went right down the toilet.

Lip

That's an interesting parallel there. I suppose the big difference is that in 2011 we were supposed to be good and this year we aren't.

HaroMaster87
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Melton on the postgame sounds unsure about Thornton's future because he basically only has one pitch right now...and that pitch is borderline mediocre.

Yeah, I was gonna ask...*** happened to that nasty slider he used to throw??? Is he done?

DSpivack
05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
That's an interesting parallel there. I suppose the big difference is that in 2011 we were supposed to be good and this year we aren't.

I suppose it's just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything, but humans like to try and find patterns where none exist.

JB98
05-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Lip

I don't know. Last year, I thought the team was just flat as a pancake.

I don't have that same feeling this year. They actually played a good game tonight. Good defense, especially in the seventh inning, had good at-bats, hit a lot of balls hard. This was two outs away from being a really solid win. Then **** happened because one guy didn't do his job.

I'm not coming away from these losses feeling like the Sox aren't trying. I had that feeling countless times last year. Right now, it's raining **** on them, but it's not for lack of effort. 2011 was an example of poor effort, IMO.

Harry Chappas
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM

There is no reason Peavy should be throwing 120 pitches after pitching two complete games. That already gave me a bad feeling regardless if we had won this game.

Where the hell was Addison Reed during all of this? Yes, I know the answer is "warming up in the bullpen."

Color me unimpressed thus far with Ventura's game management. But, per Kenny, we'll just need to give him a few years to get some experience under his belt. No reason to panic.

Noneck
05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Why Robin why?

Why? Because its easier to dump 11M owed to someone that can show he can close. It was worth giving him another shot so maybe someone would pick up his salary. From here on out it will be all about lowering payroll. This is a Major market team with a decent team payroll that isnt drawing flies. (29 of 30 in MLB attendance) This is at best a .500 club which will not draw from here on out, so now its all about how and who can they dump.

sox1970
05-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Color me unimpressed thus far with Ventura's game management. But, per Kenny, we'll just need to give him a few years to get some experience under his belt. No reason to panic.

I'd like to know how much Ventura is even chiming in on pitching decisions. For all we know, this could be all Coop.

fram40
05-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't know. Last year, I thought the team was just flat as a pancake.

I don't have that same feeling this year. They actually played a good game tonight. Good defense, especially in the seventh inning, had good at-bats, hit a lot of balls hard. This was two outs away from being a really solid win. Then **** happened because one guy didn't do his job.

I'm not coming away from these losses feeling like the Sox aren't trying. I had that feeling countless times last year. Right now, it's raining **** on them, but it's not for lack of effort. 2011 was an example of poor effort, IMO.

I agree. Good way of putting it

The bad part tho - the result is the same. Tough, tough losses that just have to carry over some way, some how.

Even if only to give the Tigers that never-say-die feeling. Teams seem to make a habit of coming back late. Seems like it happens all teh time - or never at all.

Harry Chappas
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Why? Because its easier to dump 11M owed to someone that can show he can close. It was worth giving him another shot so maybe someone would pick up his salary. From here on out it will be all about lowering payroll. This is a Major market team with a decent team payroll that isnt drawing flies. (29 of 30 in MLB attendance) This is at best a .500 club which will not draw from here on out, so now its all about how and who can they dump..

You don't really believe Robin is thinking, "hmm, maybe I'll trot Thornton out there and hope he does well enough to draw attention from other teams, so that Kenny can trade him and I can replace him with someone cheaper," do you? if it were true, it would make Robin unfit to manage a little league team. He has ONE job - win. Stuff like payroll, contracts, rebuilding, etc. shouldn't be his concern in the least. And if you think Kenny pulled him aside and set, 'listen, I know Addison's looked good, but I need you to put Thornton out there cuz I'd like to move him' you're nuts. Furthermore, we're actually in this thing. If you think the seats are empty now, just imagine what it'll be like if we continue to gut-punch our fans with games like tonight's.

Thornton was out there tonight for the same reason they tried him at closer last year - poor management. He has proven to be an effective 7th inning guy - an all-star in fact. And yet despite a history of struggling in the 9th, we continue to do it.

And I might vomit the next time I read about a "rebuild". A rebuild can't happen when the same GM that necessitated a rebuild is in charge. All the Sox are doing is shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Seems like every year the Sox blow a game in Detroit, probably because they play there so often.

David Aardsma gave up a walk off (Marcus Thames? I think??) in 07 to lose a game the Sox had won.

Jenks, in the biggest game of the year in 09, after the Sox moved into 1st place with Buehrle's perfect game, they dropped a DH the next night in Detroit (thanks to those stiffs Colon and Contreras), to fall a game back, then Jenks blew the game on a Saturday afternoon.

You had Santos blowing the game last year which put the nail in the Sox coffin in September

And now tonight.

Sure would be nice to see the Sox do things like this to someone.

Lip

TDog
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
The last time the Sox had a save opportunity in Detroit, it was Santos who blew it. He also blew the last save opportunity the White Sox had against the Tigers in Chicago last September. All on home runs. It doesn't seem to matter who the closer is, although

The offense hasn't been a problem since Oakland, except in the 1-0 loss. The pitching has been in a slump, both the starters and relievers. I don't know that moving Sale to the closer role, even temporarily.

On the positive side, the White Sox scored 2 runs against Drew Smyly. He had never given up more than 1 run in his previous 4 major league starts. It was enough to tie him, and with the Tigers bullpen giving up the lead, the Sox should have had enough offense to win.

Nice game by Beckham, too.

amsteel
05-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Good teams win close games, we are not a good team.

Keepin it real. The 85 losses might as well be exciting.

Noneck
05-04-2012, 10:40 PM

You don't really believe Robin is thinking, "hmm, maybe I'll trot Thornton out there and hope he does well enough to draw attention from other teams, so that Kenny can trade him and I can replace him with someone cheaper," do you? if[/I] it were true, it would make Robin unfit to manage a little league team. He has ONE job - win. Stuff like payroll, contracts, rebuilding, etc. shouldn't be his concern in the least. And if you think Kenny pulled him aside and set, 'listen, I know Addison's looked good, but I need you to put Thornton out there cuz I'd like to move him' you're nuts. Furthermore, we're actually in this thing. If you think the seats are empty now, just imagine what it'll be like if we continue to gut-punch our fans with games like tonight's.

First, I dont think Ventura is making the pitching decisions. Secondly, You are very naive if you dont think players are played or put in certain situations at the bequest of management.Finally regarding attendance, it is basically what you see is what you will get. They are averaging just over 20k, stub hub is selling seats for way under cost and this is what this team is, maybe a .500 club.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Noneck:

Not sure about the attendance. If they fall apart 20 thousand might seem to be a huge crowd comparitively speaking for what they'll be drawing on most games.

Lip

Noneck
05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Noneck:

Not sure about the attendance. If they fall apart 20 thousand might seem to be a huge crowd comparitively speaking for what they'll be drawing on most games.

Lip

Lip,

Maybe I am putting too much into this but isnt it possible that management would consider dumping salary and not caring about attendance because they would get a Selig subsidy that may still put them in the black ala Pittsburgh? Of course this wouldnt help the future of the club but at this point what would?

GoGoCrede
05-05-2012, 12:02 AM
This is the second time in like a week I leave to go to a movie or someplace when the Sox are in the lead, then come home and see....this. :whiner:

DSpivack
05-05-2012, 12:15 AM
This is the second time in like a week I leave to go to a movie or someplace when the Sox are in the lead, then come home and see....this. :whiner:

Look at it the other way: You weren't home watching them blow it.

kittle42
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Does any team in baseball have 3 losses when leading after 8? Just wondering.

Miami.

kittle42
05-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Why? Because its easier to dump 11M owed to someone that can show he can close. It was worth giving him another shot so maybe someone would pick up his salary. From here on out it will be all about lowering payroll. This is a Major market team with a decent team payroll that isnt drawing flies. (29 of 30 in MLB attendance) This is at best a .500 club which will not draw from here on out, so now its all about how and who can they dump.

As it should be. This season is all about taking it on the chin, trading AJ, Peavy, and whomever else can fetch some players.

kittle42
05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
And I might vomit the next time I read about a "rebuild". A rebuild can't happen when the same GM that necessitated a rebuild is in charge. All the Sox are doing is shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Oh, the thing I fear most about this season is that we will have valuable, valuable pieces to sell at the deadline, and Williams will be the one selling them.

It sucks.

Foulke You
05-05-2012, 01:58 AM

Agree on all your points especially the Peavy one. Robin and Coop are playing with fire with Peavy. 120 pitches after 2 straight complete games is asking for a return trip to the DL. I couldn't believe he was out there for the 8th, let alone against Cabrera. Jake is a red ass competitor and is ALWAYS going to want to stay in the game but Robin is going to have to learn to take the ball from him. Peavy is extremely valuable to the Sox this year. He is pitching at an elite level right now. As a contender, we need him to compete with Cleveland and Detroit. As a non contender, u could catch a king's ransom of prospects at the deadline for him. If he is on the DL by June, you get squat both ways.

kufram
05-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Like most things in life there is good news and bad news. It is a matter of which you decide to focus on.

Bad news?

1) We lost a game, and we lost it in a tough way.
2) Our bullpen and pitching management is a little suspect.
3) We lost a good starter.

Good news?

1) There is another game today
2) We have a rookie manager who has done some very good things and will get better
3) We gained a possible very good closer and kept a good rookie setup

other good news?

1) Beckham
2) Dunn
3) Peavy
4) Peavy
5) Peavy... the guy seems to have it all, and then some
6) We don't give up

Chez
05-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Agree with the poster who questioned Peavy coming out to pitch the 8th and Thornton starting the 9th. The biggest surprise to me was that it was Peralta who hit the homer. I was sure it was going to be Raburn (and it might have been had he gotten the chance) who ruined our night. So there's my silver lining -- at least it wasn't Raburn. Sheesh.

dickallen15
05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Thornton did give up a homer and it was a bad pitch especially when the count was 0-2, but the man on base was a bloop hit, you really can't blame him for that. Robin made a questionable at best move when he let Peavy face Cabrera in the 8th which resulted in a run as well. Maybe Cabrera does the same or even homers off Reed, but Peavy had to be yanked there.

vinny
05-05-2012, 08:06 AM
I have zero data to back this up, but my god it sure seems like we blow a lot of leads/ties 8th inning or later the last 3 seasons including this one. If we are down after 7 we lose.....occasionally force extras where it seems like we almost always lose eventually anyway.

Between the Sale thing and that ending......rough day in Sox land.....

Behold, records when leading, tied, or behind at the start of an inning.
This season:
Inning Ahead Tied Behind
+------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
1 12-14 .462
2 5-1 .833 7-10 .412 0-3 .000
3 7-1 .875 5-7 .417 0-6 .000
4 8-1 .889 4-8 .333 0-5 .000
5 9-1 .900 2-6 .250 1-7 .125
6 10-1 .909 1-5 .167 1-8 .111
7 11-1 .917 1-3 .250 0-10 .000
8 11-2 .846 1-2 .333 0-10 .000
9 11-2 .846 1-0 1.000 0-12 .000
10 0-2 .000
11 0-1 .000
12 0-1 .000
13 0-1 .000
14 0-1 .000

2011:
Inning Ahead Tied Behind
1 79-83 .488
2 21-11 .656 50-42 .543 8-30 .211
3 44-15 .746 24-27 .471 11-41 .212
4 45-18 .714 21-25 .457 13-40 .245
5 55-13 .809 11-16 .407 13-54 .194
6 56-19 .747 12-14 .462 11-50 .180
7 60-13 .822 10-5 .667 9-65 .122
8 65-10 .867 8-6 .571 6-66 .083
9 70-8 .897 7-9 .438 2-65 .030
10 7-11 .389
11 2-5 .286
12 2-4 .333
13 1-3 .250
14 1-2 .333

2010:
Inning Ahead Tied Behind
1 88-74 .543
2 30-9 .769 47-40 .540 11-25 .306
3 41-13 .759 33-26 .559 14-35 .286
4 48-9 .842 23-22 .511 17-43 .283
5 53-9 .855 13-17 .433 22-48 .314
6 59-12 .831 13-12 .520 16-50 .242
7 63-10 .863 10-11 .476 14-53 .209
8 69-7 .908 10-6 .625 8-61 .116
9 76-3 .962 8-7 .533 3-64 .045
10 6-10 .375
11 4-6 .400
12 0-1 .000

So, yeah, we're on a pace to exceed 2011 in the blown ninth inning leads department.

Also, FWIW, we have two walk-off losses and no walk-off wins this season.
2011: 5 walk-off wins, 9 losses
2010: 3 walk-off wins, 7 losses

October26
05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Like most things in life there is good news and bad news. It is a matter of which you decide to focus on.

Bad news?

1) We lost a game, and we lost it in a tough way.
2) Our bullpen and pitching management is a little suspect.
3) We lost a good starter.

Good news?

1) There is another game today
2) We have a rookie manager who has done some very good things and will get better
3) We gained a possible very good closer and kept a good rookie setup

other good news?

1) Beckham
2) Dunn
3) Peavy
4) Peavy
5) Peavy... the guy seems to have it all, and then some
6) We don't give up

Good post. Thanks. I haven't been on WSI much this past week (illness) and I picked a bad day to check back in yesterday. First the news about Sale and then the Thornton meltdown. Awful day.

I like your list of good and you are correct: Robin is a rookie manager and he will get better. I'm hopeful that the Beckham resurgence continues and also that Viciedo and Morel start hitting better.

mahagga73
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM

I know Santos is hurt,but that move was pure stupidity.I hope they didn't do it over money.He was coming along pretty good.Now you have to have Sale in the closer role because frankly Thornton is only effective one or two batters at a time because he throws the straightest pitches in the majors.They could have had Sale stay in the rotation and Santos doing his thing as closer.Top that off with that stupid contract they gave to a middling mediocre starting pitcher and the future doesn't look so good now.I give KW a D minus to F this offseason.

oldgrouch
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Peavy missed the spot on the pitch to Cabrera that put them within 1, then Thornton wasn't even close to the spot on the HR to Peralta.

Once Avila got the single in the ninth, it should have been a no-brainer to bring in Reed for Peralta.

Peralta was with Cleveland and the Indians own Thornton. Read your
stat sheet Robin!

DSpivack
05-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I know Santos is hurt,but that move was pure stupidity.I hope they didn't do it over money.He was coming along pretty good.Now you have to have Sale in the closer role because frankly Thornton is only effective one or two batters at a time because he throws the straightest pitches in the majors.They could have had Sale stay in the rotation and Santos doing his thing as closer.Top that off with that stupid contract they gave to a middling mediocre starting pitcher and the future doesn't look so good now.I give KW a D minus to F this offseason.

Again, Sale did not leave the rotation because of Santiago's struggles. That makes no sense.

GoGoCrede
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Look at it the other way: You weren't home watching them blow it.

That's true. I was pretty confident when I headed out. For sure thought this would be a celebration thread.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Hawk goes silent:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-soxs-walkoff-loss-to-tigers-leaves-harrelson-speechless-20120505,0,3349983.story

Lip

SephClone89
05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Hawk goes silent:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-soxs-walkoff-loss-to-tigers-leaves-harrelson-speechless-20120505,0,3349983.story

Lip

So ridiculous.

sox1970
05-05-2012, 11:37 AM
So ridiculous.

Ridiculous that Hawk didn't say anything because the picture said it all, or ridiculous because they made a story about it?

Parrothead
05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Hawk goes silent:

Lip

The Hawk is an ass and needs to go. He makes watching a game unwatchable.

hawkjt
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Nothing need be said by Hawk. We could all see what happened.

As for Thornton, his laser straight fastball only repetoire is just not going to fool a good fastball hitting team like Detroit for long.
And his fastballs were at 94-95mph,not 98-99mph,like in the past.

Robin needed to go to Reed when the next righthanded hitter came to bat. I know fans get frustrated with the Tony LaRussa righty/lefty doctrine,but the Ozzie/Robin approach with letting Thornton face righthanded hitters late in games has failed. Thornton is not a 9th inning pitcher,period. He admitted yesterday on the Score that the only time he uses his offspeed stuff is when he is not spotting his fastball well...so, last nite he sticks to the fastball,and misses his spot,and game over.

Sox played so well in this game,til the 9th,it hurts.
Losing 8 of 10 is a crusher after that 10-6 start.
Kills all fan momentum,all team morale...makes the season loom bleakly ahead,like the Sahara desert.
Throw in the Bulls collapse,and you got a miserable Chicago sports day..one of the worst.

hawkjt
05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
The Hawk is an ass and needs to go. He makes watching a game unwatchable.

Sure, that 9th inning would have so much more enjoyable with a young sterile,neutral observer play by play announcer excitedly describing that homer going over the wall.....just what we need.

Watching means using your eyes,not your ears. Turn off the volume if it hurts your eyes to listen to Hawk.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Thornton used to be good against RH batters. In at least one previous season, he actually had better numbers against RH than LH. Maybe his decline against RH coincides with abandoning his breaking stuff?

chisox12
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Thornton isn't a closer. I don't know when the **** the Sox are going to realize this.

And Ventura needs to learn how to work a pitching staff. You're the ****ing manager Robin...if you wanted Peavy out of the game, take his ass out. He lets Peavy talk him into keeping him in and there's another run. So frustrating.

Parrothead
05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Watching means using your eyes,not your ears. Turn off the volume if it hurts your eyes to listen to Hawk.

I have for a while now. Can't wait til the Sox dump him. That day may be better the winning the World Series.

GoGoCrede
05-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Sure, that 9th inning would have so much more enjoyable with a young sterile,neutral observer play by play announcer excitedly describing that homer going over the wall.....just what we need.

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, exactly? Is there not an announcer who is in the middle?

I already have a low volume on games. But sometimes when I'm doing something else in the background it's nice to be able to know what is going on.

Parrothead
05-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Why does it have to be one extreme or the other, exactly? Is there not an announcer who is in the middle?

I already have a low volume on games. But sometimes when I'm doing something else in the background it's nice to be able to know what is going on.

Agreed. I enjoy the National Annoucers much better. No blaming the umps for every bad call, every play by the Sox is the best ever, no story about Rico Petercelli, Yaz, ect...

mahagga73
05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Again, Sale did not leave the rotation because of Santiago's struggles. That makes no sense.
they don't need Santiago ,who is terrible,if they still have Santos.

Boondock Saint
05-05-2012, 10:18 PM
they don't need Santiago ,who is terrible,if they still have Santos.

Sergio is 2 for 4 in save opportunities this year, has an ERA of 9.00 and is currently on the DL. Get over it.

asindc
05-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Sergio is 2 for 4 in save opportunities this year, has an ERA of 9.00 and is currently on the DL. Get over it.

Why are you bringing facts into the discussion?

Boondock Saint
05-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Why are you bringing facts into the discussion?

It's my greatest weakness.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Ridiculous that Hawk didn't say anything because the picture said it all, or ridiculous because they made a story about it?Exactly. It's television; sometimes being quiet and letting the picture tell the story is the right move for a TV announcer.

I have for a while now. Can't wait til the Sox dump him. That day may be better the winning the World Series.Don't hold your breath. Hawk is there until Hawk doesn't want to be there.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Or as long as JR owns the club. And who knows how long that will be.

Lip

Parrothead
05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Exactly. It's television; sometimes being quiet and letting the picture tell the story is the right move for a TV announcer.

Don't hold your breath. Hawk is there until Hawk doesn't want to be there.

Sadly, you are right.

SI1020
05-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Agreed. I enjoy the National Annoucers much better. Most of the network blow dried *******s bore me to tears while making me want to throttle them.