PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Ritchie Still Starting?

hold2dibber
07-23-2002, 10:08 AM
I was at the game last night, and Ritchie looked horrible. Terrible base running by the Twins and a lucky catch by Maggs in right saved him about 5 earned runs. I am completely flabbergasted as to what his problem is -- at the beginning of the year, he looked very solid. His pitches all had movement, he had good velocity and his location was good. Now, he's throwing meatballs up there. Hopefully, Cooper or someone can figure out what is going on, so we can get him turned around and don't end up with another Jamie Navarro on our hands.

In the meantime, however, I think he should be sent to the bullpen. He needs to work out his problems in the pen, at least so he can try to regain a little confidence. This year is over, so why not see what Biddle (assuming he has the arm strength) or Ginter or Foulke can do in a starting role?

alohafri
07-23-2002, 10:12 AM
".... Hopefully, Cooper or someone can figure out what is going on, so we can get him turned around and don't end up with another Jamie Navarro on our hands...."

Too late, it seems we ALREADY have another JN on our hands, except with a better attitude.

-Mrs. Aloha

kermittheefrog
07-23-2002, 10:39 AM
Ritchie is ridiculously bad. It is absolutely SICK that he goes to the mound every fifth day. I dunno what this outfit is thinking, Rocky Biddle would be a better rotation member at this point.

Tragg
07-23-2002, 11:02 AM
That's a good quesiton. Hell, put him in the pen (although he looks so Navarroesque that that probably won't help).

That's what kills me about this regime. Now that we're out of it, they decide it's time for stability. Keep wheeling out the same stiffs day after day after day.

Isn't this a good time to give Foulke a chance to start to see what he can do?

Does the looming strike prevent us from calling up a minor leaguer to see what he can do, or do we still not want to trod on the psyches of Royce Clayton and Sandy Aloma.

Sad
07-23-2002, 12:25 PM
good question
wish I knew the answer...

see his name in the starting spot any more :angry: and chalk it up as a loss... he fools nobody... and they keep marching his butt out there.

hell we aint but a few pitches into the game and there's 2-3 men on!

3 arms we gave away for this...

all screwed up from the top down... it's not easy being us.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2002, 12:39 PM
The best reason I can think of is because Jim Parque can't pitch, and Rocky Biddle is still rehabbing. The Sox have no veterans available to enter the rotation in Ritchie's place.

Besides that, the season is over. Might as well give him plenty of work now and see if he can't work out his problems. Lord knows the outcome of the games are meaningless.

The Sox were too cheap to ever fix the hole in the rotation created when Parque couldn't make the club last spring. Now with Ritchie sucking, we're effectively two men down from what KW had been praying for all last winter.

It was a pie-in-the-sky plan to begin with. Betting everything would simply fall into place was one of the two-biggest jokes the Sox believed last spring.

:ray
"The other joke was me thinking Minnesota was a fluke."

Chisox353014
07-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Is it possible Ritchie is injured? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a member of our staff. Any pitching mechanic gurus picking up anything weird in his motion that would indicate an injury or at least explain why he's getting lit up every time out there?
I just can't believe he's this awful without a reason. Although I guess somebody has to hold the title of "Worst Starter in MLB".

Dadawg_77
07-23-2002, 01:33 PM
You know its bad when you yearn to see Sturze(sp?) still on this team then that bum.

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Is it possible Ritchie is injured? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a member of our staff. Any pitching mechanic gurus picking up anything weird in his motion that would indicate an injury or at least explain why he's getting lit up every time out there?

I've been wondering if he's just trying to hard or if he's mentally defeated before he goes out there.

I think he is putting so much on himself to justify this trade that he's throwing poorly. He started out well, but has just taken a huge nose dive. While Kip and crew keep winning.

I don't think the success of said crew is the only reason why Todd is pitching poorly, but I think it is one reason.

Iwritecode
07-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I've bee wondering if he's just trying to hard or if he's mentally defeated before he goes out there.

I think he is putting so much on himself to justify this trade that he's throwing poorly. He started out well, but has just taken a huge nose dive. While Kip and crew keep winning.

I don't think the success of said crew is the only reason why Todd is pitching poorly, but I think it is one reason.

I posted it another thread but I think you are exactly right JM. I think I remember reading something earlier in the season about him saying that too. Couple that with a pitching coach that can't seem to fix minor flaws and a offense that always seems to explode the day before he pitches (Burly always seems to get good run support) and this is what you get.

Cheryl
07-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You know its bad when you yearn to see Sturze(sp?) still on this team then that bum.

Funny you should mention Tanyan. He was the losing pitcher of record this afternoon in Boston. The final score was 22-4.