PDA

View Full Version : So....I made a silly bet

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a die-hard Cub fan in my office suite. Each year we bet a lunch on whose team will have a better overall record at the end of the season, sometimes we do a side bet on the head-to-head records.

This year, we did our usual overall record bet. About two weeks into the season, I realized I was going to win this one by a wide margin. I decided, out of pity because he has two young kids at home he needs to feed and clothe, to make an offsetting bet he can't lose. The bet is Adam Dunn will hit more home runs than the number of games the Cubs win.

After last night's action, I asked him if he was hearing footsteps since the "score" is Dunn 7, Cubs 9. :wink:

MarySwiss
05-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a die-hard Cub fan in my office suite. Each year we bet a lunch on whose team will have a better overall record at the end of the season, sometimes we do a side bet on the head-to-head records.

This year, we did our usual overall record bet. About two weeks into the season, I realized I was going to win this one by a wide margin. I decided, out of pity because he has two young kids at home he needs to feed and clothe, to make an offsetting bet he can't lose. The bet is Adam Dunn will hit more home runs than the number of games the Cubs win.

After last night's action, I asked him if he was hearing footsteps since the "score" is Dunn 7, Cubs 9. :wink:
Awww, what a nice guy!

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 04:26 PM
For the record, it has happened.

In 2001, when BALCO hit 73 home runs, eight teams won fewer than 73 games and two teams won 73.

In 1999 when McGwire was playing clean, three teams won less than the 65 home runs he hit

1998 when McGwire was a strapping young man full of natural strength, six team won less than the 70 well-earned round trippers he hit out and one team won 70 games.

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I figure Dunn is on track for 30/32 home runs. If I win this bet, there will be some serious crying on the North Side.....

doublem23
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I figure Dunn is on track for 30/32 home runs. If I win this bet, there will be some serious crying on the North Side.....

He's on pace for 45 as of today, which means the humiliation should still be sufficient payment if you win this bet.

:cool:

DumpJerry
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
He's on pace for 45 as of today, which means the humiliation should still be sufficient payment if you win this bet.

:cool:
Well, the Cubs somehow beat the Dodgers today.:angry:

Guess Adam needs to go 4-4, all dingers, tonight.

MarySwiss
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, the Cubs somehow beat the Dodgers today.:angry:

Guess Adam needs to go 4-4, all dingers, tonight.
Relax, Dump. It's a long season! :-)

LITTLE NELL
05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I'd love it if you won that bet but it ain't going to happen.

LongLiveFisk
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I really think you can win this bet. :tongue:

LITTLE NELL
05-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Actually as of late the Cubs have been playing better than us, if things continue like blowing tight games like tonght you might owe him a dinner after all is said and done.

DumpJerry
05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
After today's action:
Dunn 8
Cubs 10.

I'm getting hungry.

doublem23
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Not exactly looking like the Cubs and Sox wins head's up is a slam dunk for our boys right now, either.

downstairs
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Ha!

Dunn - 9
Cubs - 11

DumpJerry
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
If Dunn (or anyone else, for that matter) has more dingers than Cub wins after mid June, that would be an embarrassment of historical magnitude given that they are now testing for steroids and HGH.

thomas35forever
05-07-2012, 05:51 PM
You're quite a guy. Gotta love when things happen out of pity.

DumpJerry
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
You're quite a guy. Gotta love when things happen out of pity.
Naw. I did it because the opportunity to humiliate him until the end of time was too good to pass up. If I lose, there is no humiliation on my part since it is a longshot, at best.

Anyway, in addition to his usual 40, Dunn owes us 30 from last year.....

JB98
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Not exactly looking like the Cubs and Sox wins head's up is a slam dunk for our boys right now, either.

Yeah, the Sox have only one more win than the Cubs right now.

That says more about the Sox than it does about the Cubs.

tstrike2000
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, the Sox have only one more win than the Cubs right now.

That says more about the Sox than it does about the Cubs.

And not that far above Kansas City and Minnesota considering how bad those teams are.

JB98
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
And not that far above Kansas City and Minnesota considering how bad those teams are.

The AL Central is historically one of the weaker divisions, and it's really horrible this year. I don't think the Indians are as good as their current record indicates either.

gobears1987
05-21-2012, 04:37 AM
It needs to be said that Dunn is only trailing the Cubs by 1 at the quarter point of the season.

Railsplitter
05-21-2012, 05:54 AM
It needs to be said that Dunn is only trailing the Cubs by 1 at the quarter point of the season.
Extroplating those numbers over 162 games, Dunn would have 55 homers and the Cubs 60 wins.

raul12
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
If the Cubs continue to lose to the Pirates tonight, Dunn will be tied. Whodathunk! :o:

MarySwiss
05-25-2012, 08:10 PM
If the Cubs continue to lose to the Pirates tonight, Dunn will be tied. Whodathunk! :o:
I was thinking the same thing! Dump's bet is not likely to hold up, but it's kind of fun for now!! :D:

Zakath
05-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Ding, ding. They're tied. 10th loss in a row.

FielderJones
05-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Now that the score is tied at 15, have you sent any taunting texts? :tongue:

DumpJerry
05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Now that the score is tied at 15, have you sent any taunting texts? :tongue:
He returns from his vacation Monday. I don't want to make him cry in front of his wife and kids, I'd hate to get rid of what little pride he has left in him.....

I'll see him Tuesday. I guess I'll just print out the menu with various items circled.....:D:

white sox bill
05-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Dump I'd opt for the ever expensive Surf and Turf, one as eat in and get one for carry out. Make him pay.....:smile:

gobears1987
05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Dunn just took the lead with that monster shot.

Zakath
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Dunn just took the lead with that monster shot.

Cubs came back to tie him. 16 each.

PalehosePlanet
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
And we're back into a 19-19 tie!

JB98
06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
This is getting kind of funny. It's June 9, it's not early anymore, yet Dump is still tied in his bet with his Cub fan friend.

DumpJerry
06-09-2012, 11:23 PM
And we're back into a 19-19 tie!

This is getting kind of funny. It's June 9, it's not early anymore, yet Dump is still tied in his bet with his Cub fan friend.
If someone told me when I made the bet back in mid April I would be tied on June 9th, I would have asked the person what they were smoking.

gobears1987
06-11-2012, 04:16 AM
20-20 :o:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-11-2012, 07:06 AM
:threadrules:

On June 11, I never would've thought it to be like this. Regardless of what happens for the rest of the season, if Dunn "loses" to the Cubs win #, the fact that it's where it is NOW is hysterical. Sad, yet hysterical.

If I knew you better DJ, I'd offer to cover a portion of the bet out of sheer pride.

DumpJerry
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Given how hot it was this weekend at the Sox games, my friend is lucky Dunn did not get hot and have some multiple home run days. After all, the Cubs can only win one game a day (unless they have a doubleheader, but I don't think they've had any rain outs yet).

thomas35forever
06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
If the Cubs win tonight, Dunn will remain tied with them.

Dibbs
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow, didn't think there was any chance of winning this bet when I first read it. Now I'm not so sure! It would be hilarious if you pulled it off.

The Immigrant
06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
This thread is all kinds of awesome.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
If the Cubs start dumping productive players like Dempster, Soriano, and LaHair, they might not win 50 games.

The only thing the Cubs have going for them is that they have a lot of games remaining against NL opponents.

DumpJerry
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Right now I'm sick cheering for the Tigers.

But I guess that sure beats rooting for the Cubs like most of my Sox friends are doing right now....

PalehosePlanet
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Right now I'm sick cheering for the Tigers.

But I guess that sure beats rooting for the Cubs like most of my Sox friends are doing right now....

Not to be Dump; the Cubs pull one out thanks to Mr. No Range Johnny Peralta making two errors in the 8th and they rally to tie Adam at 21.

As a side note -- and I'm sorry if I sound like a total hater dick -- but if you're team has the worst record in baseball, do you really embarrass yourself by dancing with a W flag after a win?

DumpJerry
06-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Not to be Dump; the Cubs pull one out thanks to Mr. No Range Johnny Peralta making two errors in the 8th and they rally to tie Adam at 21.

As a side note -- and I'm sorry if I sound like a total hater dick -- but if you're team has the worst record in baseball, do you really embarrass yourself by dancing with a W flag after a win?
Well, that W flag probably has some stiff creases in it. Unlike the L flag which needs replacing soon with something less tattered......

voodoochile
06-12-2012, 10:57 PM

I'm sure Dump will be just fine if the flubbies end up leading Dunn by 2 come Friday.

Well that is to say I'm sure he's rooting for the baby blue bears these next two games. If Dunn hits 2 more homers the next two nights and the bet is tied come Friday morning I'm sure Dump would be even happier.

DSpivack
06-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Well, that W flag probably has some stiff creases in it. Unlike the L flag which needs replacing soon with something less tattered......

I've said it before and I'll say it again: They wave a white flag even when they win.

kevingrt
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Somehow Detroit's craptastic infield defense (and poor umping) may cost you this bet.

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I think Dump should go on one of his hunger strikes until Dunn gets a lead of 10.

DumpJerry
06-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I think Dump should go on one of his hunger strikes until Dunn gets a lead of 10.
I save those to make the team play better.

voodoochile
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I save those to make the team play better.

I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb here and guess that Dunn having 10 more home runs than the flubbies have wins at any time this season probably means the Sox are playing better - or at least winning a heck of a lot more than they are losing.

DumpJerry
06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb here and guess that Dunn having 10 more home runs than the flubbies have wins at any time this season probably means the Sox are playing better - or at least winning a heck of a lot more than they are losing.
Well, if Dunn is ten ahead of the Cubs at any point this season from this date forward then the Cubs are worse than we ever imagined or Dunn is Babe Ruth.

Dunn is out of the lineup tonight.:whiner: I wonder if my betting partner stepped on his ankle or something......

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
My first lead of the season!:)

Holy ****, I never thought I would be in the lead on this bet on June 15th......

vinny
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Big Donkey retakes the lead for Dump! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
With the Red Sox rolling into town this weekend to face the Hapless Ones, there's a good chance I start to pull away in this thing.......

Kershaw will be tough tomorrow night, but Dunn has been not bad against lefties this year, relatively speaking....

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Holy ****, I never thought I would be in the lead on this bet on June 15th......

:rolling:

FielderJones
06-14-2012, 11:24 PM
With the Red Sox rolling into town this weekend to face the Hapless Ones, there's a good chance I start to pull away in this thing.......

Let the taunting begin! :tongue:

thomas35forever
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Me neither. It's embarrassing that it's come to this at this point in the season.

cub killer
06-15-2012, 05:59 AM
This is like a sitcom episode. The fact that you're in the lead at this point kinda makes you the winner already. Don't have any mercy on this co-worker, you gotta rub it in. Too hilarious.

If ESPN or any other media found out about this bet, it'd be a good idea for them to do a segment on it. This is just too funny and ironic. Sports comedy gold.

guillensdisciple
06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
In my four years at wsi I have never read a thread with the quality of this one. The only one that stacks up is munch v rose but this one is better.

Bravo bravo. Realistically, I think Dunn needs to hit 55 to keep it close.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Realistically, I think Dunn needs to hit 55 to keep it close.

Being in the NL helps the Cubs. But things could get uglier of they trade their productive veterans. They might even challenge the 43-119 Tigers from a decade ago.

SOXPHILE
06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
How bout the '62 Mets 40-120 ? If they are able to unload some players by the trade deadline, is that possible ? Barring injury or a huge dropoff, Dunn should be able to gete 40 HR's.

thomas35forever
06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Keep it up, Adam! This bet will be Dump's!

DumpJerry
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Bravo bravo. Realistically, I think Dunn needs to hit 55 to keep it close.
So it is spoken, so it is done.......

Well, the tie in the bet today lasted about 4 hours or so.....:D:

guillensdisciple
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Yeppppp..:
You sir are a genius.

Best bet I have ever heard of. Imagine if there were actual odds in Vegas and you put money on it.

MarySwiss
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM

And the night is young, sir! Let's hope the Dodgers keep that pitcher in for awhile.

BTW, there's a Cubs fan at work, and I am soooooo rubbing this in!!!! Keep it going! :cool:

MarySwiss
06-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Damn! I was really hoping you'd go up by two, Dump! :D:

thomas35forever
06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I actually told my Tribune colleagues about this the other night and my boss joked that it should be the next poll question on the website. So if you see that on the site soon, you can credit me for planting the idea.:cool:

DumpJerry
06-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I actually told my Tribune colleagues about this the other night and my boss joked that it should be the next poll question on the website. So if you see that on the site soon, you can credit me for planting the idea.:cool:
You can put it on the board yesss!:D:

guillensdisciple
06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
You will have the lead for at least tonight.

FielderJones
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
This series is an opportunity to put some distance between Dunn and the Cubs. Dunn homers, especially with men on, increase the possibility of a Cubs loss in head-to-head action.

DumpJerry
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
So today was my first contact with the guy since Dunn took the lead (I did not want to mess up his weekend by texting him). He has all but conceded that making the bet was a mistake on his part.

I suggested a new off-setting bet.

Konerko's batting average is >than the Cubs' winning percentage.

He declined.

MarySwiss
06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
So today was my first contact with the guy since Dunn took the lead (I did not want to mess up his weekend by texting him). He has all but conceded that making the bet was a mistake on his part.

I suggested a new off-setting bet.

He declined.
You're a funny guy! :bandance:

DSpivack
06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
He declined.

I think that's more likely than Dunn topping the Cubs.

DumpJerry
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
After a lull in the action, I am now within two of tying the bet up.

Yankee Stadium, the site of our next four games, has a real nice home run porch in Right.:D:

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Cubs on a little winning streak right now, be nice if Dunn got a little hot himself to help the Sox on this homestand.

DumpJerry
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Cubs on a little winning streak right now, be nice if Dunn got a little hot himself to help the Sox on this homestand.
Yeah, I'm hurting right now......:(:

MarySwiss
07-04-2012, 09:34 AM
So Dump:

How exactly was this bet worded? Seems to me if it was simply "most home runs vs. games won," you could make a strong case for any homers Dunn hits at the ASG to count. Including the home run derby, if he participates. :cool: :gulp:

DumpJerry
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
So Dump:

How exactly was this bet worded? Seems to me if it was simply "most home runs vs. games won," you could make a strong case for any homers Dunn hits at the ASG to count. Including the home run derby, if he participates. :cool: :gulp:
ASG stats don't figure into a player's season stats.

MarySwiss
07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
True. And it's nice you're taking the high road, but you could have some fun with your friend. :D:

SephClone89
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
So Dump:

Home Run Derby participants were announced yesterday, no Dunn:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120701&content_id=34294412&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

DumpJerry
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
True. And it's nice you're taking the high road, but you could have some fun with your friend. :D:
I'm opening a case of Whoopass on the main wager (who has the best record at the end of the season).

Foulke You
07-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm opening a case of Whoopass on the main wager (who has the best record at the end of the season).
I have one friend who is collecting early on a bet. A Cub fan friend was supremely confident that Sale was going to fall flat on his face as a starter and bet my buddy that he would not win 10 games. Needless to say, my friend is collecting his cash before the all star break. Like taking candy from a baby. :D:

LITTLE NELL
07-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Whats with these guys lately, winning a lot of games and series. I only watched them when they played the Sox.

DumpJerry
07-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Whats with these guys lately, winning a lot of games and series. I only watched them when they played the Sox.
Yeah, it's been two weeks since I actually tracked this bet......:whiner:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
The Cubs are 5-18 in August. That's .217 ball. They are 48-77. It's very possible they play .220 ball through their last 37 games. That's only 8 more victories. Dunn would need a great surge, but he's at 38 homers. This could still end up very close.

MarySwiss
08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Dump, I SOOO want you to win this bet. :D:

skobabe8
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Dump, I SOOO want you to win this bet. :D:

I think the fact that it is still possible and it's almost September means that Dump won the spirit of the bet.

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Lost in all the excitement that we had with the Sox in Detroit I just noticed that the Flubs have been eliminated from winning the division, shucks.