PDA

View Full Version : Possible Beckham Replacement?

Lip Man 1
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Rogers says keep an eye on this kid in the Southern League:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0504-rogers-white-sox-chicago--20120504,0,502246.column

Lip

eriqjaffe
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I say we rush him to the big leagues as fast as humanly possible.

edit: I posted that before I saw in the article about how there's a precedent that could see him called up within a couple of weeks. Good gravy.

double edit: I didn't even notice the byline. It explains a lot.

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-04-2012, 12:49 PM
You had my attention until you said Phil Rogers. How does .255/408/.771 transfer over from AA?

doublem23
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
You had my attention until you said Phil Rogers. How does .255/408/.771 transfer over from AA?

Phil Rodgers School of Sports Journalism 101 states that if you just write as much idiotic nonsense as possible eventually by random chance you will get 1 or 2 things right at which point you can shove it everyone's face to prove how smart you are.

Just remember kids, this is the guy who developed the +1/-1 way to evaluate how teams did in the off-season.

FoulTerritory
05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Phil Rodgers School of Sports Journalism 101 states that if you just write as much idiotic nonsense as possible eventually by random chance you will get 1 or 2 things right at which point you can shove it everyone's face to prove how smart you are.

Just remember kids, this is the guy who developed the +1/-1 way to evaluate how teams did in the off-season.

Oh man, I do remember that! Frickin hilarious.

voodoochile
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Can we at least give Beckham a chance to show if his recent surge and much improved swing are going to stick before we bring up some low level minor leaguer to replace him?

dickallen15
05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
For as many White Sox Sox message boards that all wanted a total rebuild, it is amazing to me how there seemz to be no patience at all with young players. Sox fans should hope Beckham becomes the player many of us thought he could be, but it seems the majority wants to move on to the next player who will no doubt fail if the same amount of patience is shown.

ilsox7
05-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Can we at least give Beckham a chance to show if his recent surge and much improved swing are going to stick before we bring up some low level minor leaguer to replace him?

Only if he pays attention to game situations - like remembering outs in an inning. His entire mental approach to the game of baseball seems to be lacking substantially.

Crestani
05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
phil rodgers school of sports journalism 101 states that if you just write as much idiotic nonsense as possible eventually by random chance you will get 1 or 2 things right at which point you can shove it everyone's face to prove how smart you are.

just remember kids, this is the guy who developed the +1/-1 way to evaluate how teams did in the off-season.

+1

kufram
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Only if he pays attention to game situations - like remembering outs in an inning. His entire mental approach to the game of baseball seems to be lacking substantially.

I appreciate that his offense is hurting us right now but is there a catalogue of mental lapses that justify "his entire mental approach" is lacking?

TDog
05-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Even some of the most respected baseball writers fail to get things right most of the time. They aren't held accountable for getting things wrong. They don't quote their sources, so no one can hold them accountable for being misquoted.

The irony is that 50 years ago, baseball writers were much closer to the players and were taken into confidence more often and really knew what was going on although (perhaps because) they didn't make things public. Now even the "insiders" are outsiders.

Sometimes baseball writers will be right, but sometimes the psychics in the Enquirer guess right, too.

Foulke You
05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
For as many White Sox Sox message boards that all wanted a total rebuild, it is amazing to me how there seemz to be no patience at all with young players. Sox fans should hope Beckham becomes the player many of us thought he could be, but it seems the majority wants to move on to the next player who will no doubt fail if the same amount of patience is shown.
I would agree with this synopsis if Beckham was a fresh faced rookie getting his first taste of being an everyday player but he is not. I want Gordon to do well and feel he is wasting his talent but he is no rookie anymore. This is year THREE of us saying "gee whiz, if only Beckham can live up to his potential". How much patience do you have for a player who is not producing? The truth is that he just might never reach that potential that he showed in 2009. I feel that Viciedo is deserving of the patience you brought up because he is just putting his feet in the water as an everyday big league player. Beckham deserves to have a shorter leash based on how long this has gone on.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I would agree with this synopsis if Beckham was a fresh faced rookie getting his first taste of being an everyday player but he is not. I want Gordon to do well and feel he is wasting his talent but he is no rookie anymore. This is year THREE of us saying "gee whiz, if only Beckham can live up to his potential". How much patience do you have for a player who is not producing? The truth is that he just might never reach that potential that he showed in 2009. I feel that Viciedo is deserving of the patience you brought up because he is just putting his feet in the water as an everyday big league player. Beckham deserves to have a shorter leash based on how long this has gone on.

Yeah but it's not like there's anyone pushing him for playing time. If Beckham was legitimately blocking someone from playing 2B everyday then I'd agree with you, but until that happens I think we're stuck in this limbo where, even though Gordon obviously sucks, the slim chance that it finally clicks with him probably outweighs the odds than anyone else internally can out-produce him. I mean, we're talking about Tyler Saladino here, a guy who barely cracks the Sox own Top 10 Prospects list, which says something as our farm system is notoriously bare of talent.

I guess the fact that the Sox switched Saladino to 2B for no apparent reason this week may mean Rogers is on to something, but I'd assume the logical thing to do, if people in the front office are content to punt 2012 as a mini-rebuilding year, is to let Gordon have the year to work on his ****, and evaluate him as a player this off-season. He's up for arbitration this off-season for the first time, so perhaps the Sox just end up non-tendering him if they feel he is a lost cause by then and find some veteran, light-hitting, defensive-minded 2B who can probably outproduce Gordon's pathetic .203/.276/.290 mark that he's sporting right now.

DirtySox
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Saladino isn't ready. No need to rush a questionable prospect in a quasi-rebuilding season.

slavko
05-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Given his performance since August of his rookie season, which is when the tailspin started, he can't afford to daydream on the bases. A player who is producing gets the benefit of pulling an occasional clinker. And yet....he looks a tad more comfortable at the plate.

ilsox7
05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I appreciate that his offense is hurting us right now but is there a catalogue of mental lapses that justify "his entire mental approach" is lacking?

This is simply my opinion and I am obviously not in the clubhouse, nor am I in Gordon's head, but I think the way he approaches his ABs is piss-poor. Actually, I don't think he has any sort of approach or plan when he goes up to the plate. Again, I know I cannot prove this, nor am I claiming to be able to prove it. But my observation is that he has never struggled at baseball in his life, came up to the big leagues and hit like crazy for a few months, and now has no idea how to adjust. The league clearly has adjusted to him and he has done jack**** to counter.

It may well be that he is physically unable to be a productive MLB player.

kittle42
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
This is simply my opinion and I am obviously not in the clubhouse, nor am I in Gordon's head, but I think the way he approaches his ABs is piss-poor. Actually, I don't think he has any sort of approach or plan when he goes up to the plate. Again, I know I cannot prove this, nor am I claiming to be able to prove it.

Link?!? :wink:

ilsox7
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Link?!? :wink:

www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com

SephClone89
05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com

"Page does not exist"

AM I RIGHT

SI1020
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com (http://www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com) Ha ha. Good one. FWIW I think you are correct about Beckham, and no I don't have a link either.

voodoochile
05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com (http://www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com)

Man you could at least have put some effort into it. Here, I took care of it for you...

www.ThingsInIlsox7sBrain.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

Brian26
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm not even sure if Beckham has changed his mechanics much (supposedly he's standing up straighter) and this isn't just a lucky hot streak, perhaps an aberration. Time will tell, but we're talking about three good games at the plate.

dickallen15
05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm not even sure if Beckham has changed his mechanics much (supposedly he's standing up straighter) and this isn't just a lucky hot streak, perhaps an aberration. Time will tell, but we're talking about three good games at the plate.

He definitely has changed. He has motion with his bat, its not the still bat he had before. He's been hitting some balls hard the past couple of weeks, they are now finding holes. A lot of people forget Beckham was a really good hitter the second half of 2010 (.875 OPS) before he broke his hand. He was brutal last year without question, but I wonder if the hand played a role at least initially and then perhaps its snowballed.

Regardless, he is showing he has the ability to be a lot better than he's been. Hopefully it will continue.

guillensdisciple
05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
What I have learned recently from beckham's improved form is that many of us think we know what the hell we're talking about when it comes to his swing. We don't know ****. His swing has looked the same all year, but I and many of us, continue to batting coach this guy.

Let it play out, if he sucks or is good the numbers will show it. Baseball is a game of failure- lets see how Beckham mitigates it.