PDA

View Full Version : 5/3 Post Game Thread: "Danks" a lot...Sox on wrong side tonight

Lip Man 1
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Didn't see anything so here it is.

Sox lose 7-5, Danks gives up seven runs (six earned), go 2-9 with RISP.

On the "positive" side, they actually hit a home run with a guy on in the 9th, Dunn's 6th. To little to late though.

Lip

Boondock Saint
05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Danks really ****ed this up. I really don't have much else to add.

shingo10
05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I believe that other than the first Cleveland game he pitched, Danks has given up a run EVERY inning after the Sox have scored. Unreal.

Out of all the worries this team had coming in, he was not supposed to be one of them.

Hopefully the road treats us like it has been. Or else we are in trouble.

amsteel
05-03-2012, 11:23 PM
April was sorta OK. The rest of the season...does not look so sorta OK.

Aesero
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
puke Danks, Beckham's running mistake. more puke

tstrike2000
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Danks stinks right now, hopefully he can rebound. Nice to see Dunn have a good night, but the Sox also blew several chances with RISP.

The Immigrant
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Mediocre team doing mediocre things.

JB98
05-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Well, at least the Sox didn't roll over and die. They couldn't get the big hit to get back in the game, but I've seen plenty of games over the last few years where they couldn't be bothered to even put themselves in position. They tried to come back, but they are too offensively-challenged to overcome horse**** starting pitching most of the time.

This loss is on Danks. His poor performance in the early going this season has really harmed the team. The Sox won't stay in the race with him pitching like this.

BainesHOF
05-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Danks was left in too long. It was pretty obvious he was done before he gave up the homer.

Foulke You
05-03-2012, 11:31 PM
So many things made me angry in this game:

1). Danks was awful but Robin should have probably never let him face Kipnis with runners on. There was nothing in his outing tonight that suggested he would pitch out of that.

2) Gordon losing track of the outs and getting doubled off ending a 2 runner threat.

3) I really hate Chris Perez. Almost Joe Nathan levels of rage. Nice trash talking of Rios after the game, dbag.

4) Ten stranded runners. Ten!

5) Ump doesn't call the low strike ALL NIGHT and he rings up AJ in the 9th which let Perez off the hook.

Bah! I'm a grumpy Sox fan tonight!:angry:

Tragg
05-03-2012, 11:31 PM
What's with the aversion to pinch hitters. Why in the world is Escobar, and his .130 average, batting in the 8th with runners on base, down 4?

TaylorStSox
05-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Anybody know what happened with Rios and Perez? I'm thinking some players are going to be hit with baseballs next week.

Anybody have an insight on Danks? I know his velocity's down, but he also looks reluctant to throw anything offspeed.

Parrothead
05-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Anybody have an insight on Danks? I know his velocity's down, but he also looks reluctant to throw anything offspeed.

yea, he sucks.

Golden Sox
05-04-2012, 12:00 AM
He was lousy tonight. Hes been lousy the first month of the season. Did anybody really think he would be this bad this season? Hopefully he can turn this around soon. He has become the $65 million dollar bust.

Foulke You
05-04-2012, 12:03 AM

He has only thrown his changeup sparingly this year, especially to left handers. I agree with Hawk and Stone that it his bread and butter pitch and it is a mystery why he isn't using it. Throw in the dip in velocity on his fastball and his wildness and you have a recipe for a bad beginning to Johnny's season.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 12:16 AM
If somebody out there wants to let John know the season started 5 weeks ago, I think we'd all appreciate, OK thanks.

JB98
05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
****, we can't even summon the energy to melt down after losses anymore. Only three pages last night, two pages tonight.

Maybe that means we're all rational enough to understand .500 is about our ceiling this year. :shrug:

doublem23
05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Maybe that means we're all rational enough to understand .500 is about our ceiling this year. :shrug:

The beauty of lowered expectations, although, I will say I was happy with the energy they kept bringing. Just couldn't find that one big hit, which is understandable because so/so-to-bad teams don't always get that one big hit every night. But at least they didn't roll over and die. I have no doubt that if the 2011 Sox were playing this game, after Kipnis' homer, they wouldn't have put another runner on base.

Feels like there's a life or fire to this team again, they just desperately need some more talent.

soxfan21
05-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I just hope we learn how to win at home this year, a 2-5 homestand just doesn't cut it.

JB98
05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
The beauty of lowered expectations, although, I will say I was happy with the energy they kept bringing. Just couldn't find that one big hit, which is understandable because so/so-to-bad teams don't always get that one big hit every night. But at least they didn't roll over and die. I have no doubt that if the 2011 Sox were playing this game, after Kipnis' homer, they wouldn't have put another runner on base.

Feels like there's a life or fire to this team again, they just desperately need some more talent.

No question. This group tries to come back when they get behind. They are just too challenged offensively to pull it off most times.

PalehosePlanet
05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
****, we can't even summon the energy to melt down after losses anymore. Only three pages last night, two pages tonight.

I think I wasted all my breath bitching and moaning in the game thread, and with friends commiserating on the phone, during the game that I'm just spent by the time the recap thread rolls around.

palehozenychicty
05-04-2012, 12:49 AM

Bingo. Danks didn't throw well, but he's not an ace. He's solid, and that is it.

As someone said, our starters have to throw really well because the lineup isn't good enough to capitalize on a daily basis.

FoulTerritory
05-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Bingo. Danks didn't throw well, but he's not an ace. He's solid, and that is it.

As someone said, our starters have to throw really well because the lineup isn't good enough to capitalize on a daily basis.

He is not solid. He use to be. But 89 mph fastballs and no effective changeup has rendered him bad.

Boondock Saint
05-04-2012, 02:08 AM

The thing is, the Sox pulled within one run three times. The first time, Danks gave up a homer to the first batter he faced the next half inning. The second time, he gave up a 3 run homer the next half inning. The third time, it was the ninth inning, and the Sox only had two outs left to get the last run. The offense kept fighting, but Danks kept throwing gas on the fire.

edit: The Sox only pulled within two runs in the ninth, but you get the point.

hawkjt
05-04-2012, 02:42 AM
In the postgame,Danks acknowledged that something aint working,and he has to find it. He did indicate he is healthy,which is good.

I agree that he simply cannot be allowed to face Kipnis,who is on fire,and kills the Sox, Sox do not have leftys that can hit leftys,but other teams do,and Kipnis is one of them. Robin probably thought Danks would have a better shot than the rightys out of the bullpen,but I do not think so.
Shame. Sox could have had a big comeback win tonite,and headed to Detroit in first place.

Clutch hitting still an issue,clearly,but at least they got some hits.
Gordo losing track of outs? Inexcusable brain cramp,not that much to keep track of out there,and he so rarely gets on base,he needs to be smart when he does.

tstrike2000
05-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Lowered expectations and most of 2010 and 2011 sucking the life out of us.

TomBradley72
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I was downtown for work and had a dinner meeting get cancelled- so wandered over the park to see the game- $20 ticket had me in Section 117- game wasn't so great thanks to Danks and sloppy defense- but the beer vendors were in great form-

The guy who has an incredibly "deep growl", another guys who just went up and down the aisles saying "remember your friend....beer" and another who just kept making random statements- but would end all of them with the word- beer.

That was the highlight of the evening.

That and a pretty cool version of the national anthem.

Chez
05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Danks was left in too long. It was pretty obvious he was done before he gave up the homer.

Completely agree. If Crain were healthy, I think we would have seen him face Kipnis (notwithstanding L-R match-up). Even without Crain available, I thought a pitching change was necessary at that point.

chisox12
05-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Yep. Some pretty questionable moves by Ventura handling the pitching staff so far this season.

kufram
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Oh well... back on the road, where we can win some games. There have to be reasons why the White Sox can't win at home.

Wedema
05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Anybody know what happened with Rios and Perez? I'm thinking some players are going to be hit with baseballs next week.

Rios was mad because Perez was yelling on the mound as the ball he hit went to the shortstop. Perez said he was yelling at his teammates as he was fired up that the won the series and are in first place. But, did you notice how fast Rios went down the line so he could turn and confront Perez? I wish he would hustle that way all the time!

guillensdisciple
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
He was lousy tonight. Hes been lousy the first month of the season. Did anybody really think he would be this bad this season? Hopefully he can turn this around soon. He has become the $65 million dollar bust.

The good news is, and he does suck hard, is that he is not a 240 million dollar bust.

Foulke You
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Rios was mad because Perez was yelling on the mound as the ball he hit went to the shortstop. Perez said he was yelling at his teammates as he was fired up that the won the series and are in first place. But, did you notice how fast Rios went down the line so he could turn and confront Perez? I wish he would hustle that way all the time!
Perez shows up hitters and celebrates saves one octave below Valverde theatrics. It's his gimmick. Hopefully, a Sox hitter will have the chance to stand and admire a long HR off him at some point next week.

KenBerryGrab
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh well... back on the road, where we can win some games. There have to be reasons why the White Sox can't win at home.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/pride_crew/y2011/group_poster_649x382.jpg

Lip Man 1
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey it could be worse...the Sox could have the Royals home record.

:D:

Seriously if you want to shoot yourself in the foot as far as generating any excitement among the fan base, the best way to do it is to keep looking bad at home.

Many of the folks who come out once or twice and see them play poorly won't be coming back.

Lip

doublem23
05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey it could be worse...the Sox could have the Royals home record.

:D:

Seriously if you want to shoot yourself in the foot as far as generating any excitement among the fan base, the best way to do it is to keep looking bad at home.

Many of the folks who come out once or twice and see them play poorly won't be coming back.

Lip

Eh, that's kind of a chicken and egg thing, isn't it? Is the reason people aren't energized about the team because they lose at home or is it because they're just not that good in general? Like, if the Sox somehow offset their poor play at home by playing exceptionally well on the road, and found themselves in a legitimate playoff chase midway through the season, do you think people would really still not want to come out and see them, even if they still played bad at home?

Tragg
05-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Fly ball pitching staff is one reason.