PDA

View Full Version : Heath Bell Chokes Again

Boondock Saint
05-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Just blew a 2 run lead against the Giants, and now has four blown saves to go with his three saves on the season. He gave up a double and two singles before Ozzie pulled him for Steve Cishek. Zambrano is gonna be pissed.

Can't help but laugh.

edit: Bell's ERA is now 11.74

edit: This is also Zambrano's third consecutive start in which he left the game with a lead, only for Bell to blow the save in the ninth. Zambrano is 0-2 on the season.

samurai_sox
05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Nice. I approve of anything that could be a pain in the ass to both Ozzie and Zambrano.

TDog
05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Nice. I approve of anything that could be a pain in the ass to both Ozzie and Zambrano ....

... the two most hated baseball men in Chicago, by White Sox and Cubs fans alike.

Technically, Bell didn't blow the save. He came out of the game with Marlins still leading when Guillen relieved him. One run was in and runners were on first and third with no one out. The Giants didn't hit the ball out of the infield after that, but tied the game on a squeeze bunt that went for a hit against Cishek.

Unfortunately, Stanton homered in the 10th for the Marlin win, giving Cishek a relief win to go along with his blown save.

Although I disagree with Billy Beane's philosphy in many ways, I tend to see his point on the folly of spending big money on closers. Analysts deride the concept of closer-by-committee, but many teams lose many games because they depend on well-defined closers who don't get the job done. This year, there seems an especially high number of blown saves, but I don't know if that is really a trend or just observational prejudice, like seeing more crime when the moon is fool or the White Sox not doing well against pitchers I assume are gargage because I've never heard of them.

C-Dawg
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Zambrano is gonna be pissed.

Hope that new ballpark has reinforced Gatorade coolers!

:gulp:

Jerko
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
DAMN I usually watch the Marlins just for some 8th and 9th inning humor, but I tuned it out last night.

doublem23
05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Though both earned runs in the 9th inning were charged to Bell, technically, the blown save goes to Steve Cishek, who entered the game with a 2-1 lead and was on the mound when the tying run scored.

russ99
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
... the two most hated baseball men in Chicago, by White Sox and Cubs fans alike.

OK, Zambrano I get, but why is Ozzie one of the "two most hated baseball men in Chicago"?

The guy was fantastic for us on the field and helped win us a championship off the field.

I'll never understand this notion of wishing failure on a Sox legend, we all had issues with the team and some had issues with his managing the last few years, but this is a shameful way to treat someone in the "Sox family".

There are many players and coaches in my 40+ years of following the Sox that I wasn't a fan of, and even disliked on a personal level, but never would I act like this.

ElevenUp
05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Though both earned runs in the 9th inning were charged to Bell, technically, the blown save goes to Steve Cishek, who entered the game with a 2-1 lead and was on the mound when the tying run scored.

Well at least he gets a hold.

doublem23
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Well at least he gets a hold.

Since he didn't record an out, he doesn't get that, either. He just gets 3 hits and 2 earned runs tacked on to his season total.

kittle42
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
OK, Zambrano I get, but why is Ozzie one of the "two most hated baseball men in Chicago"?

The guy was fantastic for us on the field and helped win us a championship off the field.

I'll never understand this notion of wishing failure on a Sox legend, we all had issues with the team and some had issues with his managing the last few years, but this is a shameful way to treat someone in the "Sox family".

There are many players and coaches in my 40+ years of following the Sox that I wasn't a fan of, and even disliked on a personal level, but never would I act like this.

How true. He was nothing but a class act in his last few seasons with the Sox, left in a respectful and dignified manner, and has been nothing but a class act so far in Miami, where he is revered by all.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Ozzie loved being a part of the "Sox family" so much that he negotiated with the Marlins while under contract with the Sox.

All of 2011, you could tell he did not give a rat's ass about this team or anyone on it. All he cared about was himself. His managing was so bad that you can't help but wonder if he did it on purpose. For those who say "Why would he do that?" Simple...he knew he wasn't going anywhere else but Miami, because Miami wanted him to spearhead their re-branding, and knew that Miami would take him no matter what.

After his resignation, Ozzie almost immediately booked a press conference to announce his signing with the Marlins...he didn't even wait for the season to end.

World Series title or not, that's pretty low-class. Not that Ozzie was ever a classy guy to begin with, but it's pretty insulting to our intelligence when he tells everyone he isn't going to the Marlins and had no talks with them (even though numerous sources have stated otherwise), and then the moment he leaves, announces he's signing with them. I know he can't say anything while under contract, but still, it was the worst-kept secret in baseball.

Give it a few years, and I may feel different, but right now, I don't exactly have fond feelings for him. That game where he pinch-hit Dunn for Lillibridge against the Twins STILL has me seething because of the pure stupidity of the move...Ozzie's not that dumb, which means he likely did it on purpose.

I know you love all things Ozzie, russ, but the majority here do not feel like you do.

Jerko
05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Ozzie loved being a part of the "Sox family" so much that he negotiated with the Marlins while under contract with the Sox.

All of 2011, you could tell he did not give a rat's ass about this team or anyone on it. All he cared about was himself. His managing was so bad that you can't help but wonder if he did it on purpose. For those who say "Why would he do that?" Simple...he knew he wasn't going anywhere else but Miami, because Miami wanted him to spearhead their re-branding, and knew that Miami would take him no matter what.

After his resignation, Ozzie almost immediately booked a press conference to announce his signing with the Marlins...he didn't even wait for the season to end.

World Series title or not, that's pretty low-class. Not that Ozzie was ever a classy guy to begin with, but it's pretty insulting to our intelligence when he tells everyone he isn't going to the Marlins and had no talks with them (even though numerous sources have stated otherwise), and then the moment he leaves, announces he's signing with them. I know he can't say anything while under contract, but still, it was the worst-kept secret in baseball.

Give it a few years, and I may feel different, but right now, I don't exactly have fond feelings for him. That game where he pinch-hit Dunn for Lillibridge against the Twins STILL has me seething because of the pure stupidity of the move...Ozzie's not that dumb, which means he likely did it on purpose.

I know you love all things Ozzie, russ, but the majority here do not feel like you do.

I'll never forget that game. Even my Ozzie-supporting friends think that was nothing but a big "**** you" to Williams.

cws05champ
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Ozzie was traded to the Marlins wasn't he?

doublem23
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Ozzie was traded to the Marlins wasn't he?

Not exactly, the Sox and Ozzie agreed to release him from his contract following the 2011 season, but the Sox also retained the rights to demand compensation from any team Ozzie would sign with prior to 2013.

Rocky Soprano
05-03-2012, 03:25 PM

:o: You're defending Ozzie?! :o: I thought I would NEVER see the day! :o:

QueerGirrl
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
How true. He was nothing but a class act in his last few seasons with the Sox, left in a respectful and dignified manner, and has been nothing but a class act so far in Miami, where he is revered by all.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080702135305/familyguy/images/c/cf/Vlcsnap-165143.png

"Oh hohoho!! It's funny because the opposite is true! Oh hohoho."

Irishsox1
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
If Dunn wasn't so horrible last year, I could see the anger of the move but Dunn was horrible.

Ozzie just wore out his welcome, just like Billy Martin would. Time for a change, thank him for 2005 and move on.

DSpivack
05-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Heath Bell just blew another save.

doublem23
05-05-2012, 03:46 AM
Heath Bell just blew another save.

Misery loves company

DSpivack
05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Misery loves company

He has now been removed from the closers role.

That story came out before yesterdays' game. The Marlins did not need a closer yesterday, or any reliever, as Mark Buehrle went the distance, giving up just 1 run.