PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie and stats

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to take a look at his runs allowed in 2001 and 2002.

I'll just go up to this date last year. So no stats from August 1st and on.

2001:
Allowed 1 ER: 5 Games
Allowed 2 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 3 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 4 or more earned runs: 8 Games

2002:
Allowed 1 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 2 ER: 3 Games
Allowed 3 ER: 6 Games
Allowed 4 or more earned runs: 10 games

What does that tell us? I don't know. Just thought it would be interesting to look at.

Iwritecode
07-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Just wanted to take a look at his runs allowed in 2001 and 2002.

I'll just go up to this date last year. So no stats from August 1st and on.

2001:
Allowed 1 ER: 5 Games
Allowed 2 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 3 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 4 or more earned runs: 8 Games

2002:
Allowed 1 ER: 2 Games
Allowed 2 ER: 3 Games
Allowed 3 ER: 6 Games
Allowed 4 or more earned runs: 10 games

What does that tell us? I don't know. Just thought it would be interesting to look at.

Hey Jerry, would you be able to post game by game stats? I'm just curious how many earned runs and innings pitched he had in each game. That would put a little perspective on these stats. 4 or more earned runs doesn't look quite as bad if he went 8 innings as compared to 1 or 2.

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 11:11 AM
2001 and 2002 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=5766&year=2001)

idseer
07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
those stats are not TOO disparate yet at this point, but isn't around now when he really started to picth well last year?

i'd bet there'll be a large difference by year's end when you compare.

balz1472
07-23-2002, 11:25 AM
NAVARRO ('97 DEBUT W/ CWS): 9-14 5.80 ERA
RITCHIE ('02 DEBUT W/ CWS) : 5-14 6.12 ERA and rising daily (SO FAR)

kermittheefrog
07-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by idseer
those stats are not TOO disparate yet at this point, but isn't around now when he really started to picth well last year?

i'd bet there'll be a large difference by year's end when you compare.

Last year Ritchie's ERA was higher in the second half than it was in the first. Careerwise that is also true.

idseer
07-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Last year Ritchie's ERA was higher in the second half than it was in the first. Careerwise that is also true.

i'm surprised to hear that. i know his w-l record was a lot better.

raul12
07-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

what's the record for highest ERA for a pitcher with over 20 decisions? i wonder if he could compete with it.

btw, where's the k-o-meter at for so-so and mcwhiff?

Iwritecode
07-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Looking back at these stats, I can see why KW thought Ritchie would be a good gamble. I agree he probably gave up one too many arms but nobody could have predicted him being this bad so far this year or Kip and Josh taking off the way they have. Last year his run support was horrible. In the games he started last year, the Bucs barely managed over 3 runs per game. That is going to make it hard for any pitcher to win. With the offense the Sox were supposed to have this year, Ritchie would have done quite well. He's already had 9 games where he went at least 6 innings and allowed 3 runs or less. Plus a 10th one where he went 5.2 innings. He's only won 4 of those games. Last year at this time he had 10 games like that and only won 5 of them. (Although that stat can be skewed from last year because of the no DH rule, meaning in a few games he might have been pulled earlier than if he had pitched in the AL) Farmer and Rooney mentioned something about a flaw in his delivery a week or so ago. Something about when he brings his arm back. Maybe if he had a pitching coach who could correct that and a team that could give him some consistent offense, he would be a solid pitcher again. Right now I think he has lost his confidence. So all in all, I think Ritchie is a better pitcher than he has shown so far. I guess it's a combination of lack of run support, Nardi unable to identify and correct flaws in his delivery, putting to much pressure on himself due to the success of kip and josh, and some bad pitching.

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2002, 03:14 PM
I assume he is a better pitcher than he has showed this year. He is the worst in the league. It wouldn't be shocking if he came back and went 10-10 with a 4.5 ERA next year. Is that good enough though?

kermittheefrog
07-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I assume he is a better pitcher than he has showed this year. He is the worst in the league. It wouldn't be shocking if he came back and went 10-10 with a 4.5 ERA next year. Is that good enough though?

Short answer: No.

kermittheefrog
07-23-2002, 03:29 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=11

Ritchie is making my calls there look really good. His current ERA is pretty much where his road ERA was in Pitt with a slight adjustment upwards for the DH.