PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior signs with Red Sox?

DumpJerry
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Those are the "reports." (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/02/report-mark-prior-to-sign-with-red-sox/)

Boondock Saint
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Man, there is no end to the morons who will pay this guy to sit in a hot tub and get surgery.

eriqjaffe
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, somebody's gotta keep Bobby Jenks company.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
How many chances does this guy get? Although, now that I think about it, salvation may be coming.

Ryan Howard has resumed baseball activities and is currently working at the Phillies Spring Training complex in Clearwater, Florida. He's supposed to start hitting later this week.

The Phillies are scheduled to meet the Red Sox later this month at CBP.

I'm hoping Howard gets a shot at Prior, so he can line a ball off his shoulder, effectively ending this nonsense. Prior is done.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Some guys simply don't know when to quit do they?

Lip

DumpJerry
05-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Some guys simply don't know when to quit do they?

Lip
So, if you were offered a job that pays the MLB minimum wage and you'll be done doing the job in late September, no later than late October, you would say no because you know when to quit?

Shoot, if a MLB team called me up today to pay me the league minimum for 5 months or so, I'd say (to quote Hawk) "Yes! Hell yes!"

Moses_Scurry
05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Talk about a sign of Red Sock desperation!

SCCWS
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Talk about a sign of Red Sock desperation!

I don't think it is desperation. It is called succession planning in the business world and was something Theo was big on in Boston. Boston will add ML players especially to their AAA roster to try and protect against injuries. They had 3 outfielders hit the DL before they went out and acquired Byrd from the Cubs. What did they give up?? Michael Bowden who was one of the pitchers in the Buehrle to Boston near trade in 2007. Bowden has been sitting in AAA since 2008, filling in when the Red Sox needed a starter and often mentioned in trades.
They dumped JD Drew last winter and brought in 2 replacements in Ross and Sweeney to fight it out. Once Crawford went down, they kept both. They dumped Scutaro and acquired Punto and Aviles. They signed Jenks as insurance if Papelbon got hurt and they had signed Aceves from the Yankees to add depth. Papelbon signed elsewhere and Bard didn't work out. Once that happened and Jenks was hurt, they went out and got Bailey.

I wish KW did this although the financial resources may not be there. If Paulie goes down for a month, we bring in Lillibridge. A nice role player but not a ML first baseman.

thomas35forever
05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm hoping Howard gets a shot at Prior, so he can line a ball off his shoulder, effectively ending this nonsense. Prior is done.

Why settle for the shoulder? I wanna see the elbow episode repeat itself.

Boondock Saint
05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't think it is desperation. It is called succession planning in the business world and was something Theo was big on in Boston. Boston will add ML players especially to their AAA roster to try and protect against injuries. They had 3 outfielders hit the DL before they went out and acquired Byrd from the Cubs. What did they give up?? Michael Bowden who was one of the pitchers in the Buehrle to Boston near trade in 2007. Bowden has been sitting in AAA since 2008, filling in when the Red Sox needed a starter and often mentioned in trades.
They dumped JD Drew last winter and brought in 2 replacements in Ross and Sweeney to fight it out. Once Crawford went down, they kept both. They dumped Scutaro and acquired Punto and Aviles. They signed Jenks as insurance if Papelbon got hurt and they had signed Aceves from the Yankees to add depth. Papelbon signed elsewhere and Bard didn't work out. Once that happened and Jenks was hurt, they went out and got Bailey.

I wish KW did this although the financial resources may not be there. If Paulie goes down for a month, we bring in Lillibridge. A nice role player but not a ML first baseman.

So what's the benefit to signing a guy who hasn't pitched in a major league game in six years?

Brian26
05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
This news is just ducky!

tstrike2000
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Is he going to be the oversized errand boy who gets Lackey and Beckett booze in the dugout?

Lip Man 1
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Dump:

If I hadn't already made millions of dollars in a career (like Prior) I'd certainly jump at the offer.

The difference is he's wealthy beyond the means of 99% of regular folks. His body has told him on more than one occasion it is not cut out to go through this anymore.

If I made millions already and my body kept breaking down, I'd say 'thank you but no.'

If Prior needs the major league minimum to 'survive' he's got much bigger issues don't you think?

Lip

PaleHoser
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
If true, Prior either has compromising photos/video of someone or the best agent known to man.

soltrain21
05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Dump:

If I hadn't already made millions of dollars in a career (like Prior) I'd certainly jump at the offer.

The difference is he's wealthy beyond the means of 99% of regular folks. His body has told him on more than one occasion it is not cut out to go through this anymore.

If I made millions already and my body kept breaking down, I'd say 'thank you but no.'

If Prior needs the major league minimum to 'survive' he's got much bigger issues don't you think?

Lip

And what if it's not about the money for him? Can he not love playing baseball and trying to make a comeback? Is he denied that?

DSpivack
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Dump:

Lip

Also, I doubt he'll be getting the full-league minimum, as I assume this is a minor league deal, thus no guaranteed major league contract and no guaranteed major league money.

If he still has the desire to play baseball, more power to him to enjoying life in Pawtucket or wherever.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Sol:

Anything is possible but for a guy who basically has never been healthy and who hasn't pitched a game in the majors in how many years? this is about the longest of long shots you can get.

There's a lot of hardball leagues for guys (and there are different age brackets) so if Mark really still wants his 'baseball jones' he can do that and not have to put his body (which keeps breaking down) through this.

In some ways this reminds me of guys like Farve and MJ who simply couldn't walk away (I guess the difference with them was they actually had a career to remmeber...)

Hey it's his life, good luck to him. I'm just thinking its very foolish.

Lip

HomeFish
05-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Not his fault that baseball is fun to play.

SOXPHILE
05-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I definitely think this will work out. I've heard from my sources that he has absolutely perfect mechanics.

doublem23
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Baseball players seem to age a lot better than football or hockey players; the toll the sport takes on your body seems relatively mild to the world's far more dangerous contact sports. It's not like pitching a few times a month in the minors is really putting himself in harm's way.

According to Baseball Reference, Prior has made nearly $13 million in his professional career. If he has any sort of money savvy and will power, he's easily set for life, so why not spend a summer playing ball, kicking it back, and doing what he most likely loves? And he gets paid for it! Sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

Bob Roarman
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Sol:

Anything is possible but for a guy who basically has never been healthy and who hasn't pitched a game in the majors in how many years? this is about the longest of long shots you can get.

There's a lot of hardball leagues for guys (and there are different age brackets) so if Mark really still wants his 'baseball jones' he can do that and not have to put his body (which keeps breaking down) through this.

In some ways this reminds me of guys like Farve and MJ who simply couldn't walk away (I guess the difference with them was they actually had a career to remmeber...)

Hey it's his life, good luck to him. I'm just thinking its very foolish.

Lip

I don't think he runs the risk of ending up with CTE trying to make a comeback.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Bob:

No...just another potential arm injury / surgery.

I assume someday he might want to play with his kids, or play golf or do things normal individuals are able to do without pain or arthritis...but that's his choice.

My opinion on this is colored by the fact that in the past two years I've come down with a bad back in two places. It's not something that came about because I was trying to lift 400 pounds, it's time taking its toll. It's not fun and there are some difficult days.

With a guy having gone through everything he's gone through and rich beyond his means I just don't see the gain in this.

Lip

Smokey Burg
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
All right, everybody rasie your hands if you thought "Mark Prior, shows some promise but he'll never be like Jamie Moyer" when he came up into MLB.

Domeshot17
05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Why not. He probably looks at Will Ohman and says "Man if he can pitch in the majors as a reliever I can probably do it too".

RKMeibalane
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Why not. He probably looks at Will Ohman and says "Man if he can pitch in the majors as a reliever I can probably do it too".

I wouldn't call what Ohman does pitching. :cool:

SCCWS
05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
So what's the benefit to signing a guy who hasn't pitched in a major league game in six years?

They signed him to a minor league deal. That is a low investment that they must think has some chance of a payoff.

pythons007
05-04-2012, 02:39 PM
They signed him to a minor league deal. That is a low investment that they must think has some chance of a payoff.

Yes, but there is also a low investment after I eat a meal at Taco Bell. But the payoff is nothing I am really looking for.

jdm2662
05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, but there is also a low investment after I eat a meal at Taco Bell. But the payoff is nothing I am really looking for.

There is a huge payoff to eating Taco Hell. You get free testing of the functionality of your toliet.