PDA

View Full Version : Worst Call of 2012?

amsteel
05-02-2012, 04:03 PM
1B Ump Tim Welke just called Jerry Hairston out on the attached play. Mattingly came out and bitched but to no avail. Can we have robots and lasers yet?

doublem23
05-02-2012, 04:03 PM
:rolling:

TDog
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM
There was a play at the end of last night's Giants game where it looked like Ryan Theriot had a double that would have put the tying run on second, but the umpire called the ball foul. A couple of fouls later, Theriot grounded out to second to end the game.

I wondered while watching Bruce Bochy arguing the call if sharing with an umpire that they are only going to be embarrassed by the replay if they don't change the call might do more harm than good.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Mattingly came out and bitched but to no avail.

Was Mattingly ejected? I'm hoping the Dodgers send a tape of this to MLB to review. Welke should be suspended for blowing a call like that. That's Joe West-esque.

vinny
05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
"The Human Element", indeed. :scratch:

http://deadspin.com/5907145/tim-welke-demonstrated-why-the-human-element-is-a-pathetic-joke?tag=umpires

SI1020
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm an OF fan and I think baseball should do whatever is necessary to get the calls right. If it means computers call ball and strikes, and reviews for plays like this then so be it. MLB umpiring continues to regress and actually makes a mockery of some games. On this particular play wasn't the umpire in an odd position to make the call?

doublem23
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
On this particular play wasn't the umpire in an odd position to make the call?

He was, but that's kind of understandable, IMO. You can't expect a guy to be in perfect (or even good) position every single play. What's disturbing to me is that not one of the other umps overruled him. How all 4 of them could not see that Helton was easily 2 feet off the bag is just ridiculous. Are these umps really that proud that they'd rather look like a bunch of buffoons rather than confer with each other and get it right?

I get the mistakes on the bang-bang type plays, where replay shows that maybe the batter beat the throw to the bag by a millisecond, or vice versa. This is inexcusable. How can 4 umpires screw that up?

CubKilla
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
NHL has the perfect system IMO. Leave the reviews to umpires assigned in the League office when something egregious, such has this, occurs. No review of balls, strikes, or check-swings and only the clear and conclusive to the call on the field replay reviews can be overturned. Crew Chief gets buzzed on the field when a play is under review.

On most plays in baseball, the review would take 2-3 minutes tops.

Bucky F. Dent
05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
NHL has the perfect system IMO. Leave the reviews to umpires assigned in the League office when something egregious, such has this, occurs..

You intended for this to be teal, right?????

pythons007
05-04-2012, 02:35 PM
He was, but that's kind of understandable, IMO. You can't expect a guy to be in perfect (or even good) position every single play. What's disturbing to me is that not one of the other umps overruled him. How all 4 of them could not see that Helton was easily 2 feet off the bag is just ridiculous. Are these umps really that proud that they'd rather look like a bunch of buffoons rather than confer with each other and get it right?

I get the mistakes on the bang-bang type plays, where replay shows that maybe the batter beat the throw to the bag by a millisecond, or vice versa. This is inexcusable. How can 4 umpires screw that up?

The first base ump first has to ask for help for the other umpires to give judgement. He refused.

slavko
05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Respectfully, the single pic doesn't tell you where his foot was when he caught the ball. I need to see a sequence. There is a Gentlemen's Agreement that the 1B can get his foot off the bag a tad early to avoid getting spiked.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Respectfully, the single pic doesn't tell you where his foot was when he caught the ball. I need to see a sequence. There is a Gentlemen's Agreement that the 1B can get his foot off the bag a tad early to avoid getting spiked.

You can watch the video here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21095337&c_id=mlb

That image is taken pretty much at the moment Helton has control of the ball. The most telling part of the video, IMO, is that even Helton does a double take at the ump when he calls Hairston out.

You don't get a good look at it at first, but at about the 1:00 mark, they do a replay that shows very clearly Helton's nowhere near 1B when he has that ball.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
FWIW, the play was #1 and #2 on this week's SportsCenter Not Top 10.

cub killer
05-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I assume that was a neighborhood play.

McCarver explained what a neighborhood play was during game 5 of the 2005 ALCS.

PeteWard
05-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow. That was one of the worst calls ever.:o:

Bucky F. Dent
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
On this particular play wasn't the umpire in an odd position to make the call?

IMO he wasn't in a position that should have impeded his view especially given how far Helton was off the bag.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I assume that was a neighborhood play.

McCarver explained what a neighborhood play was during game 5 of the 2005 ALCS.

Neighborhood play? His foot's not even in the same county as the bag.

soxfanreggie
05-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Definitely a horrible play. That's one where as an ump, I would try to signal to the other guy that "Hey, you need to check with us." and pretend he called a conference.

thomas35forever
05-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Wow. How do you miss that? Mattingly had every right to be upset.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Wow. How do you miss that? Mattingly had every right to be upset.

Which brings up another interesting point: it's not a good idea to blow a call at 1B when perhaps the greatest defensive first baseman in baseball history is managing in the same game.

pythons007
05-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Worst Call Ever goes to the umpire that screwed up Gallaraga's perfect game.

RKMeibalane
05-08-2012, 12:29 PM

At least Jim Joyce apologized for his mistake. I don't think anyone felt worse about what happened than he did.

TDog
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Worse than Don Denkiger's blown call that cost the Cardinals the 1985 World Series?

asindc
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Worse than Don Denkiger's blown call that cost the Cardinals the 1985 World Series?

Just what I was thinking.