05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
This kid's for real

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21073869&c_id=mlb

PicktoCLick72
05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
But he doesn't respect the game!!!!!!!!

SI1020
05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Textbook on how to set up for the throw home after the catch. Very impressive.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
You know who loves throws on a line from left field?

Yaz!

Irishsox1
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Big throw, but the ball should have been thrown on a line giving the cutoff the opportunity to cut it off keeping both runners from advancing. He didn't, the runner was safe at home and both runners advanced.

But I guess he was just announcing his presence with authority.

doublem23
05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Big throw, but the ball should have been thrown on a line giving the cutoff the opportunity to cut it off keeping both runners from advancing. He didn't, the runner was safe at home and both runners advanced.

But I guess he was just announcing his presence with authority.

Actually looks like he nailed the guy at the plate but got screwed by another one of MLB's comically incompetent umpires

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17lejl5mx94j3jpg/xlarge.jpg

Either way, maybe he loses the small battle here, but he wins the war. Nobody's running on Bryce Harper any more.

TheVulture
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Wow. Not many left fielders would even think about that play, just lob it to the thirdbaseman and call it day.

TheVulture
05-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Actually looks like he nailed the guy at the plate but got screwed by another one of MLB's comically incompetent umpires

To be fair to the ump, from that angle we can't really determine if the glove is actually touching the leg.

DumpJerry
05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Aaron Rowand would have nailed the runner by ten feet.

voodoochile
05-02-2012, 06:10 PM
To be fair to the ump, from that angle we can't really determine if the glove is actually touching the leg.

Yeah and all the angles I saw in the video seemed to show him safe.

SI1020
05-02-2012, 07:14 PM

But I guess he was just announcing his presence with authority. Regardless of the outcome I'll take that throw. It will be remembered.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Aaron Rowand would have nailed the runner by ten feet.

In the back of the head, maybe. :cool:

Dick Allen
05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Anybody remember Bo Jackson's throw from the base of the RF wall at old Comiskey to 3rd base? What an athlete.

SI1020
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Since I'm taking up lost causes today I never did understand the criticism of Rowand. He was a valuable player on the 05 WS team and in the Sox tradition of great defense at the CF position. He is yet to be adequately replaced. End of hijack. I love great outfield defense and look forward to more highlight reel plays from Harper in the future.

shes
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Anybody remember Bo Jackson's throw from the base of the RF wall at old Comiskey to 3rd base? What an athlete.

Greatest throw I've ever seen.

Harper's was pretty good, but given the thread title, I thought it would be Bo-esque.

SBSoxFan
05-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Textbook on how to set up for the throw home after the catch. Very impressive.

He caught the ball over his wrong shoulder (non-throwing side) and took several steps before releasing the ball. Had he set up properly and made the same throw the runner would have most certainly been out.

Parrothead
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow, one decent throw, which was off target but far, and the kid is the defensive outfielder of the year and in the hall of fame already. Yikes.

HomeFish
05-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Not even the best throw made by a Nationals outfielder this year. Rick Ankiel threw a strike - literally - from center field.

But teams are comically not running on Bryce Harper thus far.

SI1020
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
He caught the ball over his wrong shoulder (non-throwing side) and took several steps before releasing the ball. Had he set up properly and made the same throw the runner would have most certainly been out. My first thought was that you were being picky. Since I never claimed to be a baseball genius I watched the play again. My second thought then was that you were being picky. He set up just fine. An outfielder can rarely choreograph his throw home perfectly, due to the trajectory and speed of the batted ball. He must make the catch first and foremost. Additionally I always found it more comfortable to catch the ball over what you call the wrong shoulder. The shift to the throwing arm could and should be quick. I wonder what you might think is good outfield play. If I was coaching and one of my guys made a play like that he'd get nothing but praise from me. Like I said, I never claimed to be a baseball genius.

SI1020
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Not even the best throw made by a Nationals outfielder this year. Rick Ankiel threw a strike - literally - from center field.

But teams are comically not running on Bryce Harper thus far. Yes that was a great throw wasn't it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/rick-ankiels-strike-from-center-field/2012/04/17/gIQAZe4qNT_blog.html

soxfanreggie
05-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Pretty nice peg there. The kid has talent, so we'll see how he ends up.

Parrothead
05-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Pretty nice peg there. The kid has talent, so we'll see how he ends up.

So far not so good at the plate. But it is still early.