PDA

View Full Version : "10 best things about being a White Sox fan" on Big League Stew (Yahoo Sports)

SteveFakeBlood
05-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm not sure who else has been reading it- but this spring Big League Stew (the MLB blog on Yahoo Sports) had bloggers from all 30 teams do a blog titled "The 10 best things about being a [an] (blank) fan". I've been reading them semi-regularly and they've mostly been pretty good (hate to admit it- but I actually enjoyed the Twins one). Unfortunately, the blogger for the 29th team posted their blog a few weeks back, leaving me waiting for the White Sox blog. Not that that makes Sox fans feel forgotten or anything (kind of like how I have felt the multiple times people have not only mistaken my Sox hat for a Red Sox hat AND have followed my explanation by saying "There's another team called the Sox?") :angry:.

Anyway, it finally went up and I was actually pretty impressed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/10-best-things-being-white-sox-fan-222522477.html

Yes, there's plenty of nit-picking to be had:
- Yes, technically other teams used "Na na hey hey (kiss him goodbye)" before we did (although, it's hard to argue that the Sox didn't lead to a revival of that song- and that it would be played or chanted all over today had Nancy Faust sustained it through the '80s and '90s)
- Obama being characterized as a Sox fan makes me wince simply because of this article http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-07/news/ct-met-kass-0407-20100407_1_sox-fan-sox-lore-famer-carlton-fisk
(http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-07/news/ct-met-kass-0407-20100407_1_sox-fan-sox-lore-famer-carlton-fisk)Understandably, his mind may have been on other things and he may have had an off day- but wow, just wow... I think I would be on some powerful narcotics or unconscious to not be able to at least name a few of my favorite players.
- Related: While it's kind of cool that Mayor Daley, Richard Roeper, Michael Clarke Duncan and George Wendt are all legit Sox fans (other celebrities pop up here and there- but to me these are the undisputed ones that I've either seen shown at games or have made appearances on DVDs or discussed things about the Sox in interviews, etc.)- it doesn't validate my fandom or come close to the top 10 best things about being a fan.

At the same time, it was kind of cool that he came right out of the gate and took pride in the fact that we celebrated the 2005 World Series alone.
Anyway, point is- I thought overall he summed things up nicely and while my list might be a little different- there's several points that would be the same. You could tell it was written by somebody who actually grew up a fan and genuinely cares about the club, which is what matters.

~ Steve

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2012, 06:58 AM
I really liked #10. Best ballpark in the city and one of the most underrated in MLB.

DumpJerry
05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Meh. This guy is not a Sox fan. Konerko's slam off Qualls did not land in the Sox Bullpen-just ask anyone who has been to the park since (not "sense") it happened. The crowd's reaction to Paulie's was the loudest there before or "sense" then? Was he also asleep when Pods went yard about a hour later?

Celebrity fans? Since when did Sox fans act like teenagers clambering for validation from the "in" crowd? This guy thinks like a Cub fan.

doublem23
05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
David Brown is a big Sox fan.

Pretty nice little read. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

asindc
05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Meh. This guy is not a Sox fan. Konerko's slam off Qualls did not land in the Sox Bullpen-just ask anyone who has been to the park since (not "sense") it happened. The crowd's reaction to Paulie's was the loudest there before or "sense" then? Was he also asleep when Pods went yard about a hour later?

Celebrity fans? Since when did Sox fans act like teenagers clambering for validation from the "in" crowd? This guy thinks like a Cub fan.

David Brown is a big Sox fan.

Pretty nice little read. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

Proves that even the most ardent of Sox fans can get some facts wrong about the team.

I do know that in talking to a couple of Sox fans that were at Game 2, they said that Pauly's HR put a bigger charge into the fans at the game than Pod's did. Among all the Sox fans I talked to that saw the game on TV, including myself, we felt the opposite. I will also add that my top 10 would include El Duque's ALDS Game 3 shutdown. That was the moment when I felt confident we would win it all.

DeadMoney
05-02-2012, 09:32 AM

IMO, Paulie's HR - and the aftermath/party for the next inning or so - was the loudest and most electric I've ever heard the park. In terms of the AB, everyone in the park was standing and ready on the first - and only - pitch before the slam. Off the bat, everyone knew it was gone and exploded.

For Pods' walk-off, it was a gradual 'rise' for everyone (and that ball was smoked right at me) because the ball just unexplicably kept going. But, as weirdly as this may seem since it was the winner, I don't think the result of Pods' HR came close to being as loud/electric as it was for PK's slam.

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
My list would also include Sept 22 and Oct 1, 1959.

05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't think Pods walkoff was nearly as loud as the Konerko Grand Slam. I think that when Pods crushed that ball, everyone was saying "No Way" more than cheering.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I really liked #10. Best ballpark in the city and one of the most underrated in MLB.
It is definitely very underrated. I like going there knowing that I don't have to bathe in Lysol when I get home. I also can eat decent food and don't have to worry about the people not knowing about the game...They're there to see BASEBALL. It is not the eyesore so many write about.
IMO, Paulie's HR - and the aftermath/party for the next inning or so - was the loudest and most electric I've ever heard the park. In terms of the AB, everyone in the park was standing and ready on the first - and only - pitch before the slam. Off the bat, everyone knew it was gone and exploded.

For Pods' walk-off, it was a gradual 'rise' for everyone (and that ball was smoked right at me) because the ball just unexplicably kept going. But, as weirdly as this may seem since it was the winner, I don't think the result of Pods' HR came close to being as loud/electric as it was for PK's slam.
Could that possibly be because of how unexpected it was? People probably didn't know how to react BECAUSE it was Pods in the 9th.

DeadMoney
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Could that possibly be because of how unexpected it was? People probably didn't know how to react BECAUSE it was Pods in the 9th.

Oh absolutely. I also think that by the time it made it out, it was a lot more celebrating and a lot less cheering.

russ99
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Anyone who speaks the truth about #5 is definitely a Sox fan.

Good to see that our there.

Irishsox1
05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
The Uniform change was a big thing. For years the Sox had either ugly uniforms (1983) or they kept switching them like every 2 years. The Black, Grey and White with the black hat is the best look and they finally stuck with it.

It was just something that was messed up that they finally addressed.

soxinem1
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I think #10 should be higher. As one of the biggest detractors of the 'original' Comiskey Park II, I think the park has really warmed up in the last ten seasons.

Having been to numerous stadiums across the country, I can honestly say that the food at The Cell is better than almost all the others, and has been so even before they moved in 1991.

And this is a 'Baseball' stadium, meaning we mean business. While it is cool to chat and mingle with friends, we care more about what goes on out in the field, and there is nothing better than walking down the ramps at the end of a White Sox victory!! :bandance:

Rocky Soprano
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I will also add that my top 10 would include El Duque's ALDS Game 3 shutdown. That was the moment when I felt confident we would win it all.

That is also the moment where I felt this team was not going to be stopped.

Great article!

Golden Sox
05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I find it interesting what he said about Harry Caray when he was on the Southside of Chicago. He should of put in his article how Caray changed his act when he went on the Northside and became a total houseman for the bad guys. His comments about the scoreboard were good. Hate to say it, but the present scoreboard at the Cell is obsolete now. The Diamondvision is too small. Most MLB stadiums have built bigger scoreboards with much bigger Diamondvisions than what the Cell has now. Maybe sometime in the future,a new scoreboard will be built in the Cell. Everything considered it's a nice article.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh absolutely. I also think that by the time it made it out, it was a lot more celebrating and a lot less cheering.
I was at Puffers during Game 2, and all I remember doing was screaming "Pods, What the ****?!"

My boyfriend and I talked after the game, and he told me that he and his buddy ordered pizza right before Pods' at bat, because he thought the game was going deep into extra innings.

I think that the way the inning was going, and the type of player Paulie has been, his slam was more expected, so people were louder. Nobody expected Pods' GW blast to happen. I STILL to this day cannot believe that two of the biggest home runs in our entire season that year were hit by Scott Podsednik and Geoff Blum!

beasly213
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Take off "Obama being a Sox fan" and put in the Black Out game.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Take off "Obama being a Sox fan" and put in the Black Out game.
Best game I've been to outside of ALCS Game 2.

kittle42
05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
It is definitely very underrated. I like going there knowing that I don't have to bathe in Lysol when I get home. I also can eat decent food and don't have to worry about the people not knowing about the game...They're there to see BASEBALL.

You're not spending enough time on the OF concourse during 30k+ attended games.

moochpuppy
05-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Anyone who speaks the truth about #5 is definitely a Sox fan.

Good to see that our there.

Agreed!

beasly213
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
You're not spending enough time on the OF concourse during 30k+ attended games.

Yup. There's people who are just there to have a good time at every stadium. I love the Sox but this myth that ALL FANS AT THE SOX PARK WATCH THE GAME! is ridiculious.

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Yup. There's people who are just there to have a good time at every stadium. I love the Sox but this myth that ALL FANS AT THE SOX PARK WATCH THE GAME! is ridiculious.

Being from the old school it sort of blows my mind why one would pay the high cost of a ticket, parking, food and drinks and not watch a game. Why not just walk down to the corner tavern.

Frontman
05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Great list. I'm cool with the current President being mentioned as being part of the 10 best things, but he'll leave office (either next year or in four years) so that really isn't a part of the history of the White Sox.

I would mention things like the Black Out, but also playing host to the very first All-Star Game would definitely be a part of the top 10 for me.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Can I just point out again, like a broken record :wink:, that Na Na Hey Hey was being sung at Comiskey years before Nancy played it; she picked it up from the crowd, not the other way around. It had been used by fans at south side high schools, including the one I attended, at least since the basketball season of 1970-71. I heard it, and sang it, at Sox Park in summer 1971.

russ99
05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Great list. I'm cool with the current President being mentioned as being part of the 10 best things, but he'll leave office (either next year or in four years) so that really isn't a part of the history of the White Sox.

I would mention things like the Black Out, but also playing host to the very first All-Star Game would definitely be a part of the top 10 for me.

The blackout game was super cool, but I'm not that big a fan of the blackout since it's basically lifted from the Jets/Coyotes whiteout concept.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
The blackout game was super cool, but I'm not that big a fan of the blackout since it's basically lifted from the Jets/Coyotes whiteout concept.
That organization was not the first to start something of that sorts, so it's not their tradition.

tacosalbarojas
05-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Can I just point out again, like a broken record :wink:, that Na Na Hey Hey was being sung at Comiskey years before Nancy played it; she picked it up from the crowd, not the other way around. It had been used by fans at south side high schools, including the one I attended, at least since the basketball season of 1970-71. I heard it, and sang it, at Sox Park in summer 1971.
Nancy started in 1970. The way I heard her tell the story was that she'd always been playing it but 1977 was the first time fans responded to it in full.

RadioheadRocks
05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I will also add that my top 10 would include El Duque's ALDS Game 3 shutdown. That was the moment when I felt confident we would win it all.

Great article!

Add me to that list as well. As great as the first two ALDS games were, this is where I got the feeling that we were going to win it all.

"HOCUS POCUS SAYS HERNANDEZ!!!!!"

fram40
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
For me - I couldn't agree more with #2 - the Konerko grand slam is the most exciting moment in Sox history for me and was the instance I realized that the Sox were going to prevail (altho Jenks blowing the save definitely dented the feeling of confidence)

I would have to add one more moment from 2005 - when PK hit the double in Game 5 to plate the first insurance run. It was at that moment that I realized, "HOLY **** We're winning the pennant and going to the World Series!"

For someone my age - too young for '59 but old enough to remember the god-awful '70 team, Dick Allen, and the '77 Hit Men, some how, someway, the '83 club has to make my top ten as well. Finally making the post-season was so ****ing cool.

I'd probably remove #3 and #6 to make room for these two

PeteWard
05-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Friday night games at old Comiskey. Nothing like it, esp in 72-73 and 77 when they contended. The place was full of focussed fans and they were LOUD. Yes, there were drunken brawls now and then, but those nights were magic for a kid.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Great article!

Agreed. That was it for me too. I've heard JR say the same.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Nancy started in 1970. The way I heard her tell the story was that she'd always been playing it but 1977 was the first time fans responded to it in full.

I can remember it from the early 70s.

SteveFakeBlood
05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't mean to bump up or hi-jack the thread, just was out of town for a few days. Upon another reading, I still think the Obama point can be eliminated- but maybe should be replaced with "History" in general. Yes, many of the points already relate to this (albeit, mostly recent history). But depending on when you were growing up there was a contending Sox team you fell in love with (for me, it was the '93 Sox- I can still recite most of the starting lineup's power numbers; for my Dad it was the Go-Go Sox of Fox, Aparicio, Pierce and Minoso- unfortunately, I never got the chance to talk baseball with my Grandpa- and there was a dearth of contending teams in his day- but I'm sure he enjoyed watching guys like Appling and Lyons play). I'm sure on this board there's people who swear by the '67 or '72 or '77 or '83 teams. So maybe the point could've been "111+ (or 112- depending if you count 1900 or not) seasons of history" or something similar, but more eloquently put. When I brought an English friend to a game back in '07, it wasn't his first baseball game (he had studied abroad in San Diego and gone to a Padres game), but he said it was his best experience because he went with a big baseball fan and because from the opening montage, not to mention my own family history, he could tell there was a lot of fascinating history involving the team and that going to a game wasn't just something to do for people who were bored, but something for die-hards. I'm paraphrasing quite a lot, but that was the general sentiment I inferred from what he said. The Sox may only have won three World Series, but there's a lot of history to be proud of.

~ Steve