PDA

View Full Version : AJ's Power Surge

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2012, 10:00 PM
With tonight's home run, AJ is tied with PK and Dunn for the team lead in home runs.

AJ has never been much of a power hitter, so I'm curious what the WSI brain trust thinks might be responsible for AJ's power surge. Moreover, do we think it will continue?

balke
05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
With tonight's home run, AJ is tied with PK and Dunn for the team lead in home runs.

AJ has never been much of a power hitter, so I'm curious what the WSI brain trust thinks might be responsible for AJ's power surge. Moreover, do we think it will continue?

A couple years back he found a decent stroke when he was playing those hand eye coordination games. I think he always has the power and swing - he just misses a lot. My guess is he'll start missing again soon. It'd be nice if it continues though.

Noneck
05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
AJ is a big boy, if he concentrated on pulling the ball he could have always had decent power.

Boondock Saint
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM

He's always had a problem with swinging on top of balls, pulling everything to the first or second baseman. Maybe spent time in the offseason on keeping his bat down on swings. *shrugs*

#1swisher
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
This is the AJ, I know from years past...maybe the clubhouse drama was a bigger deal than we know, for him.

RKMeibalane
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
:hurt

"Will it continue? No doubt about it."

russ99
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
When A.J. came to the Sox after his debacle season in San Francisco, Kenny spelled out to him what he expected in order to sign him.

He was quoted earlier this year that he'd focus more on power hitting this year, so maybe he was more of a contact hitter before because that's what the team asked of him.

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
When A.J. came to the Sox after his debacle season in San Francisco, Kenny spelled out to him what he expected in order to sign him.

He was quoted earlier this year that he'd focus more on power hitting this year, so maybe he was more of a contact hitter before because that's what the team asked of him.

What's nice is that he's still making good contact and hitting for a high average.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I'd also assume that in addition to Ozzie being gone, A.J. is concentrating more or focusing better with on the field activities if for no other reason than because he's a free agent after this year.

I think he wants one final good contract before retiring.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-01-2012, 11:22 PM
He looks like he's in better shape than recent years-combined with the motivation of a contract year and new coaching staff-

DumpJerry
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Well, let's see now......contract year + a backup who can be a starter next year......yeah, I'm cynical.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Another reasonable explanation is being in the five-hole, where his job is to drive the ball, instead of second, where he was expected to make contact and move runners over, not to mention taking pitches to give Pierre a chance to steal.

doublem23
05-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Another reasonable explanation is being in the five-hole, where his job is to drive the ball, instead of second, where he was expected to make contact and move runners over, not to mention taking pitches to give Pierre a chance to steal.

Pretty sure this has more to do with it than anything else. That swing on the HR was short, compact, and very powerful. He wasn't trying to do anything else but drive the ball. On a night when fly balls weren't carrying well at the Cell, that thing was a no doubter. The second that ball was hit I was out of my seat doing the HR hand circle.

Also, at least in reference to tonight, Ubaldo Jimenez pitched like ****. He seems to be Cleveland's answer to John Danks. Worlds of talent, major struggles with consistency.

white sox bill
05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Test him!!

tstrike2000
05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
AJ's a strong guy, so we knew the potential for power has always been there. It seems to me he's doing a great job turning on inside pitches, getting his hands through the hitting zone, and not hooking the ball foul. His swing is compact and by his own admittance is getting more lift on the ball instead of hitting it for a single or double.

Irishsox1
05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Considering he hit 8 last year and 9 the year before, yea it's kinda weird. But when he was hitting farther down in the line up he use to hit in the mid to high teens.

And yes, being a free agent after this year doesn't hurt.

DickAllen72
05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
No more clubhouse distractions from Ozze.

Manto > Walker.

TDog
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
No more clubhouse distractions from Ozze.

Manto > Walker.

I seriously doubt Manto is a factor. And Pierzynski seems to thrive on clubhouse distractions.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2012, 02:33 AM
I think the talk of his power surge being a result of him batting lower in the order doesn't make an awful lot of sense because in 2010 and 2011 he got a combined 54 PAs as a number two hitter (all of them in 2010). I heard AJ interviewed awhile ago and he said that he thinks his power surge to start the year is a result of a lot of his doubles going over the fence. I think he will eventually revert back to his norms hitting about 15 HRs (due largely to his hot start) with about a .270-.290 batting average and drawing very few walks. I also read where he was hitting a lot this off season to help him recover from his wrist injury so that could also explain his power surge and improved hitting. I still think that AJ is the best catcher on the White Sox.