PDA

View Full Version : Fire Williams Manuel Yesterday

Viva Magglio
07-23-2002, 06:59 AM
None of us will dispute that relieving Nardi Contreras of his duties was the right thing to do. That move is a no-brainer. However, it was not nearly enough. Things have never been more moribund. The pennant race is long over for us, and we are now in danger of falling to fourth place. On top of all that, we already trail the Cubs by one game in the loss column and only lead them by a half-game overall.

I do not know what Jerry Reinsdorf is doing. He is just sitting in his box doing whatever as the team flounders, just like Emperor Nero sat playing the fiddle as Rome was burning. After yesterday's fiasco, Ken Williams and Jerry Manuel both must be fired without delay. During his meeting with the media yesterday, didn't you noticed a panicked tone in KW's voice? This regime has lost it.

Williams has decimated the organization from top to bottom. He could go down as the worst general manager not only in White Sox history but Chicago sports history! And considering the incompetent GM's employed in Chicago throughout the past century, that's quite an accomplishment for Kenny GM.

Meanwhile, Jerry Manuel is just going through the motions. Like Wannstedt, he is totally lost. Don't give me this stuff about him being the 2000 Manager of the Year. That was then, and this is now. Manuel makes questionable pitching changes, cannot settle on a lineup, provides no discipline for rebellious players, and is a poor motivator.

The first thing I wish Jerry Reinsdorf would do is sell the team, but we all know that is not going to happen. So instead, I wish JR would fire Ken Williams immediately and name Ron Schueler the interim GM for the balance of the season. Then I wish Schueler would fire Jerry Manuel and let someone of his own choice manage the team for the balance of the season. Hell, I'm even willing to bring Terry Bevington back!!! Finally, with the July 31st trading deadling fast approaching, Schueler should wheel and deal the appropriate players away. We need to trade Ray Durham and Carlos Lee. They are our most valuable tradable asssets. We also need to get rid of Royce Clayton and Frank Thomas.

Williams Manuel has only enveloped this franchise with malaise. Please get rid of them.

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Williams isn't going anywhere.

After the comments Williams made yesterday, Manuel might be gone at the end of the this year.

soxtalker
07-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

After the comments Williams made yesterday, Manuel might be gone at the end of the this year.

That's what I would have said before KW's media meeting yesterday. I didn't see it, but, based on what other posters have said and the reports in today's newspapers, the panic was pretty evident. So maybe his job isn't too safe. JR doesn't like to fire the people who have been loyal to him, but he has fired GM's before.

Dadawg_77
07-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He did get the kiss of death on Friday. "We stand behind our guy, he won't be going anywhere any time soon" How many times has that been said and the guy in question gets wacked with two weeks.

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
He did get the kiss of death on Friday. "We stand behind our guy, he won't be going anywhere any time soon" How many times has that been said and the guy in question gets wacked with two weeks.

If he does get fired, I think it will be after the season.

Jerry Manuel's job as White Sox manager is still safe.

"For the rest of the year,'' general manager Kenny Williams said Monday. "That statement's on record.''

Cheryl
07-23-2002, 09:59 AM
I'm climbing on the Fire Jerry bandwagon. After his comments yesterday about how difficult it was to fire his good friend Nardi, it's obvious to me he has to go. If keeping a good friend on the payroll is more important than pitching, he has no business managing any team at any level of play.

soxrme
07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
SCHUELER, BEVINGTON??? LETS GET SERIOUS. WE HAD A CHOICE BETWEEN DAN EVANS AND KW. WE CHOSE THE CHEAPER AND LESS EXPERIENCED OF THE TWO FOR WHATEVER REASON.(FILL IN THE BLANKS). OUR MANANGER CAME CHEAPLY ALSO. WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SCOUTING IS ANOTHER QUESTION THAT HAS TO BE ANSWERED. IF KW IS REALLY RUNNING THINGS HE SHOULD BE LET GO ON GENERAL PRINCIPLES BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
3 PITCHERS FOR 1 IS RIDICULOUS, LOSING TO PITCHERS WE HAVEN'T FACED BEFORE (ADVANCE SCOUTS??) IS CRAZY.
I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT KW HAS BEEN A JR FAVORITE SINCE HIS PLAYING DAYS AND WE ARE STUCK WITH HIM.

Tragg
07-23-2002, 11:05 AM
So instead, I wish JR would fire Ken Williams immediately and name Ron Schueler the interim GM for the balance of the season.

Schueler was a crap GM. And if you believe KW, which I do, he had a hand in the Ritchie trade. Bevington was worse than Manuel.

No, let's clean house.

Tragg
07-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
[B]WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SCOUTING IS ANOTHER QUESTION THAT HAS TO BE ANSWERED. IF KW IS REALLY RUNNING THINGS

Outstanding question. Not only advance scouting but those scouting our own talent.

soxtalker
07-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

Schueler was a crap GM. And if you believe KW, which I do, he had a hand in the Ritchie trade. Bevington was worse than Manuel.

No, let's clean house.

I agree on cleaning house, but this will probably await the off-season. There are more candidates available. Scheuler in his later years did avoid trading away his young talent. (Of course, that meant that most of the time he avoided trading.) That might be a plus over KW, though it really doesn't look like there will be many trades anyway.

Keystone Combo
07-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

Outstanding question. Not only advance scouting but those scouting our own talent.

Can't fix one without fixing the other. Same goes for GM - Manager - Coaching Staff

You have to get rid of the whole thing unless you want it to continue to fester inside the organization.

CLEAN HOUSE........ and JERRY SELL PLEASE!!!!!!