PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on the Tigers in Grantland today

doublem23
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Debates whether or not a team so top-heavy as Detroit is a legitimate World Series contender

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7876361/can-detroit-tigers-make-al-playoffs-three-stars-else

JB98
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Good read. It will be interesting to see if the superstar factor will allow Detroit to overcome its truly horrendous defense.

I was sitting at the ballpark at the Sox home opener, looking at the Tigers out on the field as the Sox batted, and I said to my girlfriend, "I'm not sure there's a single Detroit player out there who is better than average defensively at his position. Maybe Austin Jackson, but that's it. Most of them are well below average."

Right after that, Delmon Young misplayed a drive off the bat of De Aza into a triple. A nervous 3-2 Sox lead turned into a fairly comfortable 5-2 victory. The Tigers have got a lot of hitting to do if they're going to meet their lofty goals because I don't know that I've ever seen a worse defense on a team expected to contend for a pennant.

DSpivack
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Good read. It will be interesting to see if the superstar factor will allow Detroit to overcome its truly horrendous defense.

I was sitting at the ballpark at the Sox home opener, looking at the Tigers out on the field as the Sox batted, and I said to my girlfriend, "I'm not sure there's a single Detroit player out there who is better than average defensively at his position. Maybe Austin Jackson, but that's it. Most of them are well below average."

Right after that, Delmon Young misplayed a drive off the bat of De Aza into a triple. A nervous 3-2 Sox lead turned into a fairly comfortable 5-2 victory. The Tigers have got a lot of hitting to do if they're going to meet their lofty goals because I don't know that I've ever seen a worse defense on a team expected to contend for a pennant.

Their starting pitching has been pretty poor, as well. Maybe they can make the playoffs with that offense, but I don't think they're going anywhere once they get there with that rotation.

doublem23
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Their starting pitching has been pretty poor, as well. Maybe they can make the playoffs with that offense, but I don't think they're going anywhere once they get there with that rotation.

Fister should be back from the DL soon, possibly as early as Monday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120430&content_id=30075804&notebook_id=30075808&vkey=notebook_det&c_id=det

That should give them a boost, but yeah, their pitching staff has been atrocious so far this season. Obviously Verlander's great, Smyly has been real good so far this year, but Scherzer, Wilk, and Porcello, who have a combined 13 starts on the year, have a collective ERA of 6.86 (50 ER, 65.2 IP).

Foulke You
05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Debates whether or not a team so top-heavy as Detroit is a legitimate World Series contender

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7876361/can-detroit-tigers-make-al-playoffs-three-stars-else
Interesting read. The fact that they are so top heavy also puts them at a tremendous risk if injury were to knock one of them out of the lineup for any extended time. One ACL tear for Cabrera or one rotator cuff issue for Verlander can derail their entire team.