PDA

View Full Version : This sounds familiar. .

ohiosoxfan
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120430&content_id=30053678&vkey=news_mia&c_id=mia

Ozzie sounding off about players not doing the job. . . seems so refreshing not to have this drama going on here this year. .

doublem23
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Take away their sweep of the utterly hapless Cubs and the Marlins are a robust 5-14. They are ****ing awful. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of douchebags.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I feel bad for Buehrle. He deserves better.

Ownership deserves this cluster**** headed by the Twidiot.

doublem23
05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I feel bad for Buehrle. He deserves better.

Ownership deserves this cluster**** headed by the Twidiot.

**** him, he chose to chase the big payday and follow Ozzie to Miami. He knew exactly what kind of BS he was getting himself involved with. Lucky for him he gets to at least cash some giant checks. If there's anyone on this team who deserves a shred of pity, it's their young guys like Giancarlo Stanton or Logan Morrison, guys who are stuck with the Marlins for a few years and have watched their maniac owner chase off highly qualified managers like Joe Giardi or Fredi Gonzalez only to turn the keys over to this incompetent, vulgar dumbass. Both of them are stuck with the Marlins until at least the 2016 season, unless God smiles on them and they are mercifully dealt to greener pastures.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I feel bad for Buehrle. He deserves better.I watched him for a while the other day. He was getting pounded.

fisk4ever
05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
**** him, he chose to chase the big payday and follow Ozzie to Miami.

Really? "**** him"?

Dick Allen
05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Really? "**** him"?I agree with Doub. I was/am a big fan, but let him cry all the way to the bank.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
**** him, he chose to chase the big payday and follow Ozzie to Miami. He knew exactly what kind of BS he was getting himself involved with. Lucky for him he gets to at least cash some giant checks. If there's anyone on this team who deserves a shred of pity, it's their young guys like Giancarlo Stanton or Logan Morrison, guys who are stuck with the Marlins for a few years and have watched their maniac owner chase off highly qualified managers like Joe Giardi or Fredi Gonzalez only to turn the keys over to this incompetent, vulgar dumbass. Both of them are stuck with the Marlins until at least the 2016 season, unless God smiles on them and they are mercifully dealt to greener pastures.

Precisely. No one forced Buehrle to join the Marlins. He felt it was his last chance at a huge check, which is fine, but when things go sour, Buehrle will be one of the last people on the team I feel sorry for. You wanted the check, now deal with the drama.

Personally, I suspect that the Marlins won't be hearing many boos much longer, if you catch my drift. Already I've been reading that fan turnout is way lower than expected.

God, it feels so good to not have to deal with Ozzie's theatrics anymore.

LITTLE NELL
05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I feel the same way about Buerhle. I'm sure something could have been worked out to stay and finish his career with the White Sox. He is sort of a hypocrite because for many years is said money was not that big of a deal with him but when push came to shove he jumped at the big bucks.
May Ozzie and Mark wallow around in last place this year, would not bother me one bit.

ktssox
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
**** him, he chose to chase the big payday and follow Ozzie to Miami. He knew exactly what kind of BS he was getting himself involved with. Lucky for him he gets to at least cash some giant checks.

I agree with Doub. I was/am a big fan, but let him cry all the way to the bank.

**** him? That's a bit harsh, especially considering Kenny Williams decided he didn't need him. Buehrle didn't chase a big payday. His current contract is only $2 mil more than the previous - not really sure that's chasing the big bucks. He was made offers and went to the Sox with those offers. I'll have to find the article, but I know I read that he wasn't even expecting the Sox to match it - all they had to do was come close. Should a super consistent pitcher who's never injured take a huge pay cut to stay with the Sox? Seems like more Kenny's doing than his.

doublem23
05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
**** him? That's a bit harsh, especially considering Kenny Williams decided he didn't need him. Buehrle didn't chase a big payday. His current contract is only $2 mil more than the previous - not really sure that's chasing the big bucks. He was made offers and went to the Sox with those offers. I'll have to find the article, but I know I read that he wasn't even expecting the Sox to match it - all they had to do was come close. Should a super consistent pitcher who's never injured take a huge pay cut to stay with the Sox? Seems like more Kenny's doing than his.

Well, it's early, but by certain metrics, the Sox have the best pitching staff in the American League, so 1/6 of the way through the season, maybe KW was right when he decided the Sox didn't need Buehrle's services, especially at the insane $14.5 M per year he's going to make while in Miami.

I'm not mad at Buehrle (like I am mad at Ozzie). I don't think Mark ever gave the Sox anything less than 100%. I fondly remember his years here. Whenever he's done or he comes back to the Sox, I'll gladly welcome him home. But at present, I also only root for laundry. As long as he is an active player in the Majors on another team, he is the enemy. I don't have a problem with him making the cash grab, but at the same time, I feel no pity or remorse for him if the Marlins turn out to be a ****ty team.

TheOldRoman
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
**** him? That's a bit harsh, especially considering Kenny Williams decided he didn't need him. Buehrle didn't chase a big payday. His current contract is only $2 mil more than the previous - not really sure that's chasing the big bucks. He was made offers and went to the Sox with those offers. I'll have to find the article, but I know I read that he wasn't even expecting the Sox to match it - all they had to do was come close. Should a super consistent pitcher who's never injured take a huge pay cut to stay with the Sox? Seems like more Kenny's doing than his.Well, the team had budget constraints due to existing contracts and the fact that those contracts played pretty badly last year, leading to horrible attendance and the team losing money. I understand that Mark wanted to stay, and I believe when he said that he would have stayed here for a few mil less per year. It didn't work out. I don't have hard feelings just because he left.

Nobody was offering Buehrle anywhere close to what the Marlins did. He may have gotten 4 years elsewhere, but he wasn't coming close to the $14.5 million per year. He KNEW Ozzie was a clown. He knew the **** show he would be walking into, after experiencing it and reportedly being one of the vets who was frustrated after the last couple of years. So Mark Buehrle, a self-professed country boy who said it wasn't about the money, who said he would retire rather than play somewhere he was uncomfortable, decided to follow the asshat manager to play in the loudest city in America, where they ban his beloved pittbulls, when he could have presumably gone elsewhere for a few million less, been more comfortable and had a better chance to win.

This contract was all about the money. And that's fine, he's getting $58 million he wasn't due last year. Good for him. However, I don't have any sympathy for him when the team goes down in flames and he has to answer questions about his manager's antics on a regular basis. I hope the extra $8-10 million is worth being in a ****ty situation for the next four years. I'm guessing it is.

ktssox
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Ok, fine responses both of you. But just so you know - saying you don't feel sorry for someone based on their decisions is a lot different than saying **** you. It sounded pretty harsh. I root for the laundry too, but it doesn't mean I can't lament the fact that one of my favorite players is no longer on my favorite team.

hawkjt
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, it's early, but by certain metrics, the Sox have the best pitching staff in the American League, so 1/6 of the way through the season, maybe KW was right when he decided the Sox didn't need Buehrle's services, especially at the insane $14.5 M per year he's going to make while in Miami.

I'm not mad at Buehrle (like I am mad at Ozzie). I don't think Mark ever gave the Sox anything less than 100%. I fondly remember his years here. Whenever he's done or he comes back to the Sox, I'll gladly welcome him home. But at present, I also only root for laundry. As long as he is an active player in the Majors on another team, he is the enemy. I don't have a problem with him making the cash grab, but at the same time, I feel no pity or remorse for him if the Marlins turn out to be a ****ty team.

This pretty much captures it for me. Burls was always one of my favs,and I still like and respect him. I wanted him to return,but I really think it was a mutual decision between Kenny and Burls that the price tag was too high for the Sox. I do not wish him ill,but do not want him to have a great year either.
I hope he stays healthy,but gets pounded,as I do not wish success for Ozzie and the Marlins...call me petty,but I have turned on Ozzie the last year or so,in part due to his family and Cowley,but he never shut it down.

I think Burls will succeed ultimately,tho,as he will always be crafty. But he does give up hits,and if they do not catch the ball,not good for him. Sox did catch the ball,generally,which was good for him.

JB98
05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't feel sorry for Buehrle, but I don't think I'd ever say, "**** him" either. He was too good of a player for the Sox for too long for me to have spite for him.

Our former manager? Well, yeah, **** him. Once upon a time, he was a pretty decent manager. Not anymore. He sucked his last three years with the Sox, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't suck now too. Only a matter of time before he gets fired. When that happens, I will laugh uproariously.

RKMeibalane
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Our former manager? Well, yeah, **** him. Once upon a time, he was a pretty decent manager. Not anymore. He sucked his last three years with the Sox, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't suck now too. Only a matter of time before he gets fired. When that happens, I will laugh uproariously.

I don't think he lasts past this season at the rate he's going. In less than one month, he's been suspended five games, pissed off a large chunk of his fanbase, and berated his team, one of the worst in baseball, for its poor play. It's only a matter of time before he does something else and finds himself under fire from Marlins brass or the MLB offices.

hawkjt
05-01-2012, 02:15 PM
It is kind of funny to read the Marlin fans comments about their hitting coach,and how Ozzie wanted to bring in Greg Walker,but was stuck with Eduardo Perez, son of HOFer Tony Perez,special assistant to the president of the Marlins,who was hired late last year.

Always the hitting coach,ya know? The truth is,post-steroids,there are just not that many good hitters ...not enough to go around anyway.

The Sox have come up about 2-3 short of good hitters for a number of seasons...hard to find,I guess.

DSpivack
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
It is kind of funny to read the Marlin fans comments about their hitting coach,and how Ozzie wanted to bring in Greg Walker,but was stuck with Eduardo Perez, son of HOFer Tony Perez,special assistant to the president of the Marlins,who was hired late last year.

Always the hitting coach,ya know? The truth is,post-steroids,there are just not that many good hitters ...not enough to go around anyway.

The Sox have come up about 2-3 short of good hitters for a number of seasons...hard to find,I guess.

The Braves had a great month at the plate, FWIW.

DumpJerry
05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I was discussing the Buehrle situation with a friend recently. While we can say "he went for the money," we don't really know what, if anything, the Sox put on the table. Yes, hints were dropped that Kenny made an offer. Yes, Buehrle indicated that his people might have tried to get a matching offer from the Sox when the Marlin's made their pitch, but the bottom line is that unless you were actually part of the negotiating team for either side, you don't know what was said between the team and Burls.

Right now, it is only rumor and speculation that the Sox made an offer. Given how quickly they signed Danks to an extension after Buehrle signed, I'm thinking they didn't make much of an offer (a contract like Danks' is not negotiated overnight, it was most likely in the works and the team was waiting for Buehrle to sign with someone so it would not look like they were casting him off).

TheVulture
05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
**** him, he chose to chase the big payday and follow Ozzie to Miami.

The Sox didn't even offer Buehrle a contract. What did you want him to do, retire?