PDA

View Full Version : No More Rivalry Series?

DSpivack
04-30-2012, 05:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7874251/mlb-eyeing-end-annual-rival-series-including-mets-yankees-sources-say

With Houston's move to the AL West next season, MLB is looking to end these series.

eriqjaffe
04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Personally, I won't miss 'em.

DumpJerry
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Someone needs to tell the reporter it's intra-city rivals, not inner-city rivals.

Oh, for the days when journalists knew how to write......

Tragg
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Fine with me.

downstairs
04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I like The Sox/Cubs series... but it should be 3 games per year, not 6.

Do it like this: sox home, cubs home, sox home one year... flip it the next.

johnny bench
04-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Last years 3 game home series with the Cubs drew 33,000+ more fans than the average 2011 home series.

DSpivack
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Someone needs to tell the reporter it's intra-city rivals, not inner-city rivals.

Oh, for the days when journalists knew how to write......

Some are even inter-city rivalries, as in the case of Kansas City-St. Louis, Miami-Tampa [Bay], Baltimore-Washington, San Francisco-Oakland, and Cleveland-Cincinatti.

sox1970
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM

I'd do this:

16 vs division (64)
8 vs 10 AL teams (80)

144 league games

Every team from one division plays every team from another division (15 games)

Plus 3 vs natural rival if you have one. So the Sox and Cubs would play 6 games every third year, and with interleague all season, they could occasionally play opening day against each other which would be kind of cool once in a while.

amsteel
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
BP's gonna want their 1/2 money back for that cup, they're paying for 6 games a year for people to ignore their marketing gimmick, damnit!

Lip Man 1
04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Won't bother me, the current system is badly flawed and is influencing divisions and titles because of the unbalanced nature of the scheduling.

Lip

Boondock Saint
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Personally, I won't miss 'em.

Amen.

Parrothead
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7874251/mlb-eyeing-end-annual-rival-series-including-mets-yankees-sources-say

With Houston's move to the AL West next season, MLB is looking to end these series.

'bout time. hope it happens.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2012, 01:10 AM
My wish is to end interleague play altogether, but I know that's not going to happen.

StillMissOzzie
05-01-2012, 01:29 AM

This was how it was when interleague play first started - 3 at home one year, 3 at the Urinal the following year. SMO

DumpJerry
05-01-2012, 06:50 AM
The only way interleague can be fair is to either institute the DH in the NL or abolish it in the AL. With the status quo regarding the DH, the home team has an advantage in interleague games.

Moses_Scurry
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
My wish is to end interleague play altogether, but I know that's not going to happen.

We'd need a couple expansion teams (INDY! INDY! INDY!)

Or a couple teams to fold (cubs! cubs! cubs!)

Chez
05-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I enjoy the Sox v. Cubs rivalry. Much more enjoyable going to the ballpark when it's full and buzzing than gaining another series against the Orioles or the Mariners or the Indians or the Rockies.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
We'd need a couple expansion teams (INDY! INDY! INDY!)

Or a couple teams to fold (cubs! cubs! cubs!)I think I'm missing something here. Why would we need expansion teams to do away with inter-league play? The leagues were the size they are now before they started inter-league.

Mohoney
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I think I'm missing something here. Why would we need expansion teams to do away with inter-league play? The leagues were the size they are now before they started inter-league.

Houston is moving.

Moses_Scurry
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I think I'm missing something here. Why would we need expansion teams to do away with inter-league play? The leagues were the size they are now before they started inter-league.

With odd number of teams in each league (once Houston moves), there will have to either be an inter-league game or at least one team per league with an off day every single day of the season.

It sounds like a scheduling nightmare either way to me, but I'm guessing it would be worse if they eliminated inter-league.

Adding or subtracting one team in each league would result in an even number of teams and make it possible to eliminate inter-league.

Hitmen77
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
The title of the thread is somewhat misleading. It says "no more rivalry series", but if I'm reading the article correctly what MLB is looking to do is limiting it to one 3 game series or two 2-game series a season.

I'm fine with that. I'd also be happy if the Cubs and Sox only met every 3 years when it was the AL Central's turn to face the NL Central.

The current schedule sucks because it means that division rivals get to face a different set of teams throughout the season. In a year when the Brewers are a playoff contender and the Cubs are cellar dwellars, it makes no sense to have one AL Central team face the Cubs 6 times while another AL Central team faces the Brewers 6 times.

I also personally hate the Cubs-Sox series. If the Sox win it, I'm glad but it's not the "highlight of the season" for me. But, if the Cubs win a series, all the Cubs fans I come across come out of the woodwork and shoot their mouths off and wave their W flags like this outcome was the best thing ever (even though Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. :rolleyes:). So, I'd be happy to see it limited to fewer games.

That being said, I'm surprised they're doing this. This is a big attendance boost for teams like the White Sox. Even typical high attendance teams like the Cubs have seen some erosion of ticket sales in recent years and hosting the Sox is always a big draw to Wrigley.

robertks61
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I also personally hate the Cubs-Sox series. If the Sox win it, I'm glad but it's not the "highlight of the season" for me. But, if the Cubs win a series, all the Cubs fans I come across come out of the woodwork and shoot their mouths off and wave their W flags like this outcome was the best thing ever (even though Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. :rolleyes:). So, I'd be happy to see it limited to fewer games.

Agree. I'm good with 3 games alternating ballparks each year. When they beat us in the first S.T. game this year there was bragging by some of the clown fan base on F.B. I laughed at the stupidity.

hawkjt
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I enjoy the Sox v. Cubs rivalry. Much more enjoyable going to the ballpark when it's full and buzzing than gaining another series against the Orioles or the Mariners or the Indians or the Rockies.

Agree. In a season like this where neither team is expected to challenge for a division, it is a highlight of the season,if the Sox win.

It is not the only highlight,but it is a highlight. I am as much a purist as anyone,but I do like a full ballpark with a lot of buzz,which only happens in the Cubs series,really.

If the Sox are hanging in contention into Sept,then the Cubs probably have contributed 4-6 wins to the Sox record. The Cubs are horrible this year,worse that the Sox,and these are games the Sox can win,while the Tribe play the Reds,who are better than the Cubs,and the Tigers usually play the Braves who are better than the Cubs. I like that.

Foulke You
05-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree. I know it is trendy on WSI to be down on the crosstown series but I find it to be an interesting diversion in the middle of the season. The games usually have memorable moments and lively crowds. These series are usually more fun when both teams are doing well but even when they aren't, they are fun to watch. Besides, the Sox have won seven straight series against the Cubs dating back to '08. Why would we want to have that reduced to only three games again? :cool:

russ99
05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
With odd number of teams in each league (once Houston moves), there will have to either be an inter-league game or at least one team per league with an off day every single day of the season.

It sounds like a scheduling nightmare either way to me, but I'm guessing it would be worse if they eliminated inter-league.

Adding or subtracting one team in each league would result in an even number of teams and make it possible to eliminate inter-league.

Which if a part of the reason why it was really stupid for Bud to "extort" the Astros into moving into the AL, where they didn't want to go.

Some teams will now have easier schedules and others will have a more difficult schedule.

Contraction or expansion would have been a much better idea. I'm hopeful the next commissioner corrects this and puts the Astros back in the NL (even NL West) where they belong.

Interleague is nice every once in a while, but it will lose it's luster after a year or two of everyday interleague play.

I wonder who the Astros NL rivals will be. Hopefully it's St. Louis. Knowing Bud, he'll probably give them Colorado.

Frontman
05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
If this did away with the "Crosstown Classic" BS, I would be a very happy baseball fan. It's the two weekends out of the summer I DON'T want to watch baseball, as it brings out the moronic in far too many on both sides of town.

Soxman24
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Agreed 100%

Irishsox1
05-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Fine by me moving the Cubs to 1 series rotating year to year. I doubt Reinsdorf would be happy, the Cubs series is usually the best attended during non-playoff years.