PDA

View Full Version : One month in, how do we all feel?

doublem23
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Sox finish April 11-11, and are 1 GB behind Cleveland in the AL Central

FielderJones
04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm okay with it. Last April 30 the Sox were 8 games under and out of contention. This year the division race goes on.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
They are not as bad as I thought they would be but it's only one month in so I am not 100% sold on anything. If they keep pitching like this they could finish around .500 and maybe even contend if they start to hit a bit. But we will see.

DonnieDarko
04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I thought they would either be really, really good, or really, really horrible.

I'm confused that they're essentially a .500 team.

DumpJerry
04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
What, no churros?:whiner:

tstrike2000
04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Oops, meant to put So-So but accidentally clicked bad for my vote. I like our pitching staff and still have guys in our lineup that can hit, so I could see .500.

SoxSpeed22
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
They are better than I thought they would be. I did not expect this out of Peavy and Rios, so they are a pleasant surprise. We are playing better than I thought we would.
I think we will finish around .500 unless Beckham and Morel can figure it out and Viciedo calms down on his swing.

Foulke You
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I really like the pitching staff. Peavy is pitching like an ace, Sale looks like a capable replacement for Buehrle, Floyd and Humber are solid, and Danks will eventually stop sucking. Bullpen has a lot of quality arms and having three lefties there gives Robin quite a few options in ballgames that other managers don't have.

I said it at the beginning of the year and I feel exactly the same now. This team will go as far as their bats will take them. If a decent offense starts to support the pitching on this team, we can very well find ourselves winning the division or one of those newfangled 2nd wild card spots. If they don't hit and the offense remains inept, they will likely finish in the 77-81 win range. The pitching is too good for the Sox to completely bottom out in the division.

sox1970
04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
The Sox only scored 85 runs, which kinda sucks, but they only gave up 82 runs, which shows me they are capable of pitching at a level that can win the division.

It's just a matter of getting the players at the bottom of the order to hit. And if they can't hit, recognizing when to make a change.

And Addison Reed should close, but that will work itself out after a while.

They survived April. Hopefully by the All-Star break they're in first place and about 10-12 games over .500.

Hitmen77
04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm in between "good" and "so-so". This team, even though it's not a powerhouse, at least has not fallen flat on its face yet like recent Sox teams did out the gate.

I'd feel better about this team if Beckham and Morel looked better at the plate. At least it looks like Dunn is back to his .240/slugger mode. I'll take that over the historically bad numbers he put up last year.

DumpJerry
04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm with the others. Beckham and Morel are key right now. We need better production at the Dish from them. I'm not concerned about Viciedo, I think he'll have ok numbers in the end.

Not sure how I would vote. If we weren't in the AL Central, I'd say no chance at post-season, but Detroit is stumbling out of the gate and are experiencing off the field distractions (Young) which tells me 83 wins could take the Division. But then, if Detroit's bats heat up and the lead gets out of their gloves, 89-91 wins will be needed.

asindc
04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I figured that they would be a middle of the pack team with the best overall pitching in the division and a mediocre offense due to so many inexperienced players in the lineup.

Pleasant surprises, in order of surprise:
Rios- Our resident head case seems ready to play to his capability.
Peavy- I thought he would pitch well this year (contract year), but not this well.
Reed and Jones- They look very good so far.
AJ- He will cool off, but looking like a strong contract year push will last all season.
Dunn- I figured he would bounce back, but I'm glad to see the reports of him taking the offseason seriously (finally!) seem to be paying off.

Disappointments... so far:
Beckham- Who else to be at the top of this list?
Morel- I hope it's just a slow start.
Danks- I never figured him for an ace (#2 at most), but at least start pitching like a #3.
* I'm not disappointed in Santiago. He is doing what rookie closers do. I just don't think he should be closing right now. I'm also not disappointed in Ohman. He's just not very good.

Noneck
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
They look like about a .500 team until they back up the truck.

Irishsoxfan
04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I have no idea where this team will finish but overall I have enjoyed watching them play. The benefit of low(ish) expectations.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I had us pencilled in for 12-10 at this point and thats were we should be if it wasn't for that last game in Oakland.
I still have us pencilled in for 84 wins for the season and if all the planets line up right we might contend.
For that to happen, Beckham, Morel and Danks have to get on the right track. Beckham just might be a lost cause. I think as the weather warms up so will Viciedo, he might be just like TCM and hates cold weather.
Its time to give Reed a shot at closer, I like Thornton and Crain as our 7th and 8th inning men.
We need to start winning home games. How about 3 in a row from the Tribe and start our next trip in first place.

TDog
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I thought they would either be really, really good, or really, really horrible.

I'm confused that they're essentially a .500 team.

In one sense, the White Sox have been both really, really good AND really, really bad, which is why they are .500. That last game in Oakland, especially the last half inning, and the next 18 innings of baseball at home were pretty bad. Sunday's game, even with the Konerko-less Sunday lineup, the series in Seattle and the first two games in Detroit, were about as good as it gets, even perfect on one special Saturday.

The starting pitching has been better than I expected. Most starting pitchers around baseball have the ability to shut a team down but lack the consistency to do it very often if at all. Jake Peavy has been about as consistent a starting pitcher as there has been in the majors this April, and top-to-bottom, I don't think there has been a better starting rotation. The bullpen has had a couple of rough outings, but not as many as other bullpens have. Some fans might be concerned that Ventura is staying too long with his starters, but on the other hand, he isn't overworking the bullpen.

Not many players have been hitting. Konerko, who has had some poor Aprils, continues to impress as he has for the last couple of years. It isn't just the numbers he is putting up. It is how he is putting them up. His 400th home run wasn't just a career milestone. It tied a game in the ninth inning. And the first of his two doubles on Saturday should have scored a run in a game the White Sox lost 1-0.

Pierzynski had a great April both offensively and defensively, although the strain of catching as much as he does will likely slow down his offensive production later in the season. Rios appears to be living up to his potential. I expected a bit more from Dunn after last year. I thought he would be working to make more contact, but he is providing pretty much back to providing what he did before last season. Hopefully, the Sox will get a little more. And I'm expecting more offense from some of the players who got off to slow starts. It is odd that American League stolen base leader on the last day of April would have as many stolen bases as he has hits and walks combined.

If anything has impressed me most as a turnaround from previous years, it is the way White Sox catchers are throwing out runners attempting to steal.

Of course, the White Sox should have won two of three in Oakland, and the Tuesday night loss wasn't so far from being a winnable game. They White Sox should have won two of three in Texas to open the season. Of their 22 games, 10 have been against the Rangers, Red Sox and Tigers. While the White Sox have only won four of those games, they held their lineups to three runs or less in six of them. Overall, the White Sox at .500 have been more impressive relative to expectations than the Tigers who will finish April one above or one under .500.

The question is whether the White Sox will be able to build on the April positives, improve on the negatives and win more games than they lose over the next five months. One has to assume the Tigers will. Bullpens and starting rotations metaphorically can have their wheels fall off in May or June -- the dreaded June swoon. But last year, the White Sox dug themselves in a hole in April after getting off to a good start, winning seven of their first 11. They went from 7-4 to 11-22. But they were only 3.5 out in mid-August and ended August above .500.

This White Sox team looks like it could be pretty good. Like last year, it looks like a team that could have a better record than it has at the end of April. Unlike last year's White Sox team, it hasn't dug itself a hole to claw out of. There is always reason for pessimism, especially among White Sox fans, but April has shown there is plenty of reason for optimism.

I plan on sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Over By There
04-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Same as I felt a month ago - I think they'll finish within a few games of .500. I think there will be some good times (obviously Humber's perfecto was one already) and bad times (the Oakland game being one), but they'll play well enough to keep me interested.

kittle42
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Love the results of this poll. Realism!

tstrike2000
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I had us pencilled in for 12-10 at this point and thats were we should be if it wasn't for that last game in Oakland.
I still have us pencilled in for 84 wins for the season and if all the planets line up right we might contend.
For that to happen, Beckham, Morel and Danks have to get on the right track. Beckham just might be a lost cause. I think as the weather warms up so will Viciedo, he might be just like TCM and hates cold weather.
Its time to give Reed a shot at closer, I like Thornton and Crain as our 7th and 8th inning men.
We need to start winning home games. How about 3 in a row from the Tribe and start our next trip in first place.

The consensus seems to be that Beckham has lost it and may never get it back. Listening to Manto, Robin, and Frank Thomas, they seem to think he just needs to start is leg kick sooner so he can pounce on 90 mph fastballs instead of fouling them off. Although, there's so much that goes into hitting mechanics at the MLB level, who knows what's going to happen with Beckham.

voodoochile
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I would have voted .500 but this division is very weak and the "pre-ordained ALC Champion" Kittens just got swept by the Mariners in Detroit which makes me think they are not as good as they are cracked up to be. Given their defense and pitching issues, that's not a huge shock.

For me it's enough to be 1 game out of first at this point in time. Meaningful baseball is cool and this summer looks to have some.

TomBradley72
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I think Morel will progress enough to hit ~.250 and provide great defense- he hit ~.270 the last week and is able to get a bunt down, etc.

Beckham? I think he'll need a stint at AAA to get right- we'll miss his defense if that happens-

Flight #24
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
IMO the pitching is and will remain good and keep this team in contention. If Viciedo/Beckham/Morel can hit reasonably, can win the division. Of course, if Rios/AJ/De Aza con't maintain their play, then they'll drop like a rock, barring the return of Scott Podsednik and an amazing slew of 1-0/2-1 wins.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
I think Morel will progress enough to hit ~.250 and provide great defense- he hit ~.270 the last week and is able to get a bunt down, etc.

Beckham? I think he'll need a stint at AAA to get right- we'll miss his defense if that happens-

Both of them are pathetic, zero HRs and 5 RBIs between them.
I get the feeling that when Morel is in the batters box, he would rather be somewhere else.

DonnieDarko
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
The consensus seems to be that Beckham has lost it and may never get it back. Listening to Manto, Robin, and Frank Thomas, they seem to think he just needs to start is leg kick sooner so he can pounce on 90 mph fastballs instead of fouling them off. Although, there's so much that goes into hitting mechanics at the MLB level, who knows what's going to happen with Beckham.

I remember Hawk saying something about Beckham having trouble "keeping his hands back", too. What does that mean?

Whatever the case may be, I really want to see the guy go back to the minors for a bit to get his head and mechanics right. He's been brutal so far, and needs to show improvement.

Domeshot17
04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Exactly what we thought they would be, an 80-84 win team. I think if they had servicable players at 2b and 3b we might have a real shot to compete, but Morel and Beckham only bring half a game with them. While both are nice defensively, they are probably the 2 worst offensive players at their respective positions in the majors.

Tank has to pick it up. We need him to hit.

I think Robin has done an alright job. I don't love the way he is using the pen, Santiago closing is a bit odd.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
If our bats matched our pitching caliber in the early weeks of the season, we could have a 2 game lead in 1st. That said, no reason they both can't click.

Dunn is 1/2 way to last year's HR totals and it's April 30. Paulie is being, well, Paulie and AJ is playing like a man possessed. Yes, it's early but it's making me happy.

Tragg
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Morel is in his 2nd year and really isn't a high asset. See if he can hit.

We need to figure a way to get Beckham's swing back. Send him down and find him a coach. WE don't have anyone better; but he is a high asset and we need to figure out a way to get the return we need.

And we need a bench bat and then use the bench bat when appropriate.

kufram
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
There is a lot more good news than one would think by just looking at the record. I don't think we've won any games we should have lost but we have lost a couple we should have won.

Top of the good news list for me is that it appears to me that we have a team.. not just a bunch of guys being paid to play baseball but not enjoying it. I'm on board with that.

Robin seems able and has introduced a cultural change in some important areas.... holding runners being the most obvious.

I'm less worried about the holes in the offense than some are but that is because there are no quick answers. We've got what we've got. I've seen weak offenses win pennants. I'm not saying we're going to win the division but we haven't lost it yet.

You need great pitching, great defense, and timely hitting. I don't think anyone can coach timely hitting. It has to happen. Still can.

I'm interested and I know that some good career hitters have taken a few years to figure it out so why not ours?

If I wanted to be a realist.... I'd be a Yankee fan.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I have no idea where this team will finish but overall I have enjoyed watching them play. The benefit of low(ish) expectations.
co-signed

Golden Sox
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't want to keep repeating what everyone else has said about Morel and Beckham. Baseball is definitely full of surprises. We traded Getz to the Royals to make room for Beckham at 2nd base. Getz is now hitting over 300 and Beckham is just lost at the plate. I'm still hoping KW can upgrade our team at 2nd base and 3rd base. If he does this team can contend for the playoffs.

SCCWS
04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
I have very impressed with the pitching. I also am impressed that Robin w no experience has done a good job his first month. I am concerned that they don't have a closer yet. Some have mentioned Reed but I noticed yesterday he was not getting his fastball over 94. It is early and it was cold but a ML reliever has to be able to get up to 96-97. Despite the weather Aceves and Thornton hit 96.
I like to look at what teams are playing w key players out. For example, Boston has 2 starting outfielders and 2 starting pitchers out. As the summer goes on, some teams will probably get better as players who started the year on the DL return. But other players will go down as well. The White Sox are fortunate in that none of their "starters" are injured other than Crane. But the downside is what happens when the White Sox loose a key player or two. I think the pitching could take a hit and still be pretty good. But the roster is so thin, that if any of the first 6 batters goes down, there is no one in sight that is a capable replacement.
Their margin of error is very narrow, so I think .500 would be an accomplishment this year.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Overall 11-11 isn't that bad considering the hitting woes, the two bullpen implosions and some starting pitchers (Danks...) haven't hit their stride yet.

Only downer for me is that the club only went 5-5 against Baltimore, Seattle and Oakland...they really needed to do better against them. The schedule is going to get harder and they had a chance to make some hay early...and didn't.

Lip

AnkleSox
04-30-2012, 07:25 PM
I think a major factor in determining this season will be whether or not these guys can start winning at home. Last year they were above .500 on the road but still finished with a losing record because of uninspired play at the Cell.

That being said I like what Robin has done thus far and I am throughly enjoying some bounceback years from former offensive dregs as well as watching a very exciting pitching staff.

bluedemon45
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Its just nice to have a good feeling again to turn on the White Sox game. Last year was difficult.

The White Sox have good enough starting pitching to keep us in games this year. Lets just see if they can improve on the negatives.

Moses_Scurry
04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I think the offense will get better but the pitching will regress. In the end they'll be within a game or two either way of .500.

To me, that would not be a terrible season. I really wasn't expecting a whole lot going into the season. I feel like the team is getting a really good look with what they have in guys like Morel, Viciedo, Beckham, Sale, Reed, etc. If nothing else, this season should give Kenny (or his replacement) a good idea of what needs to be done in the offseason.

I don't feel like the future looks as dim as I felt it looked last season.

Zakath
04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Considering we could be 13-9 or 14-8, so-so pretty much explains it.

4-6 has been our strength, 7-9 has been a disaster (was 2 and 7-9, but Morel moved down). Beckham has been a continual disappointment and Morel has fallen off a cliff. Rios is showing his 2010 form, and Dunn, while having some :angry: strikeouts, has produced. de Aza has shown some surprising power in the leadoff spot, and beyond some blunders in center, has been decent defensively. AJ and Paulie have apparently figured out what Ponce de Leon got wrong.

Peavy has been absolutely amazing, looking like the guy that won the 2007 Cy Young. Been very impressed with Sale as a starter, and despite Thursday's outing, Humber has been better than anticipated. Gavin's performance on Sunday has seriously made me re-evaluate my feelings about him, and there are signs that as usual, if he gets his curveball under control, he's a tough pitcher. Danks has been the most disappointing starter, and almost all due to control issues.

Jones and Reed have been great out of the 'pen, as has Thornton. Ohman, after his initial difficulties, has been solid in his last 4 appearances. Santiago is just not a closer. Hopefully, Crain comes back healthy.

May's schedule gives them a lot of opportunities to get into first, including 10 meetings with Cleveland.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
After suffering through such horrible starts and playing catch up the last few years, I always said I would be happy if the SOX were .500 after the first month as the team always seems to get hot when the weather warms up.

I guess I got my wish... :cool:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I figured that they would be a middle of the pack team with the best overall pitching in the division and a mediocre offense due to so many inexperienced players in the lineup.

Pleasant surprises, in order of surprise:
Rios- Our resident head case seems ready to play to his capability.
Peavy- I thought he would pitch well this year (contract year), but not this well.
Reed and Jones- They look very good so far.
AJ- He will cool off, but looking like a strong contract year push will last all season.
Dunn- I figured he would bounce back, but I'm glad to see the reports of him taking the offseason seriously (finally!) seem to be paying off.

Disappointments... so far:
Beckham- Who else to be at the top of this list?
Morel- I hope it's just a slow start.
Danks- I never figured him for an ace (#2 at most), but at least start pitching like a #3.
* I'm not disappointed in Santiago. He is doing what rookie closers do. I just don't think he should be closing right now. I'm also not disappointed in Ohman. He's just not very good.

I don't think this could be put any better. Danks is starting to concern me a little. He needs to step up. I guess I never really expected too much from Beckham and Morel.

Frontman
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm concerned about Danks, Floyd (although he pitched a gem yesterday) Beckham and Morel. I hope Robin realizes that Reed should get a shot at closing.

Beyond that, I've seen a far more positive, energetic White Sox team that's playing better than previous years. One month in, and I'm not ready to throw my remote through the TV, so it can't be all bad!!!

BigKlu59
04-30-2012, 10:22 PM
:D: 11-11 wash after April and a game out instead of being 8-10 down works for me. MLB has parity written all over it. .500 for this squad seems to be the minimum requirement. Who knows... They can win the division with one good hot month playing .800 ball if the sister kissing in the division holds serve..

BK59

soxfanreggie
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Starting pitching is by far exceeding my expectations, but we have a lot of progress to make on the offensive end.

34rancher
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
So far, they are outperforming my 72-90 prediction. I was impressed by a winning west coast road trip. I wish this team would actually play at home with some wins here and there. Robin has done a nice job. Peavy has done far better than I ever thought he could. I feel like I am just waiting for his other shoe to drop and get injured. I just hope he makes it to the trade deadline. I think we could get some serious talent for him at that point. Maybe even dump some payroll.

WLL1855
05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I guessed 75 wins at the start of the year and they're a little above that pace. If they finish the year with a winning record I'll call it a success but anything can happen. Not likely, but I could possibly see Detroit pulling a choke job this year and someone else stealing the division from them. I'd find that amusing.

TaylorStSox
05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
So far, they are who we thought they were, a mediocre team rebuilding/retooling. I'm surprised by Peavy. I thought he was done. I thought Rios would have a big year. Dunn's been a nice surprise. I thought PK might start to show some wear. Sale's progress is what I expected. He's a future 1/2. Morel's been disappointing, but he'll come around. He's still trying to find some identity at the plate. Beckham's toast. He should be in AAA. I'm guessing they're protecting Reed. They have a lot more invested in him than in Santiago. They probably want him to build confidence through success. He'll be closing by June.

Going forward the pitching will regress. The hitting will get better as Ramirez and Tank heat up. They'll continue to be a mediocre team. Hopefully, Peavy and Rios will continue to produce and maybe, just maybe, turn into trade assets.

russ99
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Record wise, it's as expected, and I have hope they could end up above .500.

Starting pitching is pretty solid, except for Danks. The pen is a bit messy, one more FA arm in the offseason could have pulled it together a bit more.

OK with the lineup so far, but someone to go out and grab the 2nd spot in the lineup, patience with Morel and Beckham is a bit thin and they really need to cut down on the strikeouts.

Robin's done a good job so far. My only minor issue is too much patience with underperforming players, but last year's manager did that too.

KMcMahon817
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I am stuck in between .500 and a potential playoff team. About where I had them at the beginning of the season (84 or 85 wins). I think they could surprise, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. The first month of the season has done nothing to change my mind.

Mohoney
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
If the pitching and the top 6 in the lineup can keep us in contention up to the trade deadline, hopefully Kenny can trade for a 2B or 3B that can hit. Until then, might as well put your best defensive team out there, even if it includes two offensive sinkholes.

bigsoxfan420
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
This team is right about where I thought and hoped they would be. If the offense can more consistent they will be in awesome shape.

Smokey Burg
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
I was expecting much worse. At least they haven't dug themselves a huge hole. A good season is definitely a possibility.

JB98
05-01-2012, 02:12 PM
It's been about what I expected. So-so. Not great, but not terrible either.

Pitching-wise, Peavy has been a pleasant surprise, while Danks has disappointed. Our bullpen has been better than I expected, too, despite the two blowups by Santiago. Reed and Jones have been solid relievers to this point.

Offensively, all the veterans except for Ramirez (a notoriously slow starter) are looking better than they did last season. The young hitters, though, are all slumping. That's my biggest concern moving forward. You can't expect guys who are on the wrong side of 30 to carry your offense forever. Sooner or later, the Sox need some younger position players to step forward and prove they deserve to be in the everyday lineup.

balke
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
For me, I'm still in disbelief even though I'm surprised. I'd be perfectly okay if the Yankees called and took Peavy while he's still going strong. If Boston wants Thornton - that's okay too.

Good job so far though. I like watching and am mentioning these two players because they have been pleasant surprises.

Chez
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Like others have mentioned, I had such low expectations for this team that I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far -- especially from Reed, Peavy and Rios. And what can you say about Konerko? The guy is a rock of consistency and stability. I still think .500 would be a good showing by this group.

hawkjt
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
After Cutler and DRose going down,blowing up promising seasons, I am starting to just appreciate the day to day wins,and try not to project ahead much.

So far, I have enjoyed the season,more than I expected,even tho,the A's and O's losses painful blown games did suck. In my book,the Sox could be 13-9 or better,and in first place. But, also, the Tigers did lose Fister,and are stumbling,so I will take it and be glad the Sox are playing decent pitching and defense right now.

The offense? Still a work in progress,but just having Dunn and Rios off to solid starts takes some of the frustration away. At least the struggles are limited to the young guys,Gordo,Brent and Dayan...so there is hope.

palehozenychicty
05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
They are who we thought they were: The Chicago White Sox. They have long been a decent team with intriguing talent, but not enough to go very far into October. 2005 was the exception. The trend continues this season.

That being said, it is concerning that the young position players are off to poor starts. We need them to play well. JB was right to say that.

Jurr
05-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I will say this- for the first time in a few years, I actually find this team to be entertaining to watch.

The veterans look to be re-energized, the pitching staff is talented, and the young hitters are all works in progress. It looks like the team is actually focused.

I tune out when I see pro athletes and their coaches make the game seem like a job. When guys are playing hard, focusing, and actually seem to be genuinely concerned with winning, I'm in. It has not felt that way for a while.

If Beckham and Morel figure out how to handle the pieces of wood in their hands, we could have a great summer.

chisox12
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
If Beckham and Morel figure out how to handle the pieces of wood in their hands, we could have a great summer.

That is a HUGE if. I have much more confidence that Morel will figure it out. Don't know with Beckham.

doublem23
05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
That is a HUGE if. I have much more confidence that Morel will figure it out. Don't know with Beckham.

At least right now it appears that Gordon won't be the most disappointing Beckham of that draft. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Noneck
05-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I still feel the roster they currently have is about a .500 club. But now even more than before I feel as though the Sox will have about 70 wins. The Sox currently rank 29/30 in MLB attendance. I can see many players being traded as soon as possible. AJ, Peavy, Floyd, Thornton, Crain, look as though they are sure dumps if someone will take them. Then who knows, Paul will see the future and may agree to say goodbye. Yea I know people will talk weather but this runs a lot deeper than that. Look at stub hub and see what games are going for, this attendance thing is not going to go away. People are not going to Sox games to see a .500 club and thats the best they can be.

MARTINMVP
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't watch as many games as most posters here, but when I do watch, one obvious thing is different. When runners are in scoring position, and the likes of Dunn, Rios or AJ are at bat, I have room for some optimism. Hell, as long as it isn't GB or Morel at the plate, I have room for some optimism.

There was no room for such optimism last year.

Right now, the Sox are treading water - it is a far improvement over the last few years with the bad starts. The Ozzie nonsense and drama no longer being an issue is very nice.

balke
05-20-2012, 04:58 PM
This may just be a mirage - but right now I see Viciedo, Rios, Dunn, and even Beckham showing some good play right now. Peavy is so far what the Sox need him to be.

If this isn't a mirage - the Sox might be onto something good. Maybe just a third baseman away. Danks would have to turn it around - but some of the players who have killed this team are finally headed in the other direction at once.

kittle42
05-20-2012, 06:13 PM
This may just be a mirage - but right now I see Viciedo, Rios, Dunn, and even Beckham showing some good play right now. Peavy is so far what the Sox need him to be.

If this isn't a mirage - the Sox might be onto something good. Maybe just a third baseman away. Danks would have to turn it around - but some of the players who have killed this team are finally headed in the other direction at once.

Don't do this to yourself.

They pounded an inferior team.

Look forward to 2013.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Look forward to 2013.

Whats going to change for 2013, no phenoms in the minors.
I think this team can win the division.
Starting 5 is as good as any other in MLB.
Bullpen with a few exceptions is pretty solid.
Dunn is back.
PK is our rock.
AJ is solid.
The Tank is starting to roll.
I love DeAza.
Beckham needs to step it up and 3B is a problem.
We need to start winning at home.

All in all I think we will be in it until the end.

hawkjt
05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Whats going to change for 2013, no phenoms in the minors.
I think this team can win the division.
Starting 5 is as good as any other in MLB.
Bullpen with a few exceptions is pretty solid.
Dunn is back.
PK is our rock.
AJ is solid.
The Tank is starting to roll.
I love DeAza.
Beckham needs to step it up and 3B is a problem.
We need to start winning at home.

All in all I think we will be in it until the end.

Exactly. There is no waiting til 2013 or beyond. PK is on borrowed time. AJ is getting older. Peavy is probably gone next year.

I reject the notion that there is no such thing as baseball magic. I saw it for real in 2005. This division is no great shakes. Sox could win 85 games and take the division like the Cardinals did in 2006 when they won their division and world series...last I checked they are not apologizing for it.

SCCWS
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
The best thing about this weekend, is they swept w/o their best player for most of the weekend series. Now I understand it was against a lousy team, but regardless they went 3-0.
I still see a .500 team. The bench is still a very weak part of the team. I think Hudson is a good addition in the fact he is a veteran they added with out giving up anyone. But any major injury is a concern as long as the bench continues to be a major weakness. They have no option longterm for PK-Dunn-AJ-Rios-Alexi etc. I guess they could possibly get through lost time w a starter since the rotation is very strong and they have a couple of potential fill in starters. But this is a very thin 40 man roster should a major injury or series of injuries which we see several teams going through right now hits the White Sox.

Frontman
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I feel good about the team. Split the two game series with the Angels, sweep the Cubs. Now, they need to start winning at US Cellular Field, and keep playing solid baseball.

doublem23
05-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Look forward to 2013.

I see your point but the 2010 team used the creampuff NL to vault themselves back in the race. I'm not sure the 2012 AL Central has another team that will match the Twins' 94 wins in '10, if the Sox can win 88 games again, they actually might be in the thick of things.

That said, it's refreshing to see this, it does give me hope for 2013 and beyond. This off-season a lot of people around here proclaimed the Sox were headed into a tailspin that would take them to the bottom of the league. Looks like this is still an average team that is in need of more of a couple of tweaks and not a complete tear down and rebuild.

kufram
05-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Look forward to 2013.

Keep as optimistic as you want to because no one can predict what will happen. In baseball it is the team that plays the best, not necessarily the team with the best players.

They swept an MLB team in their park.

Look forward to tomorrow.

Shoeless
05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
They swept an MLB team in their park.

This is what I like to see. This team is showing some life.

palehozenychicty
05-21-2012, 10:02 AM
The best thing about this weekend, is they swept w/o their best player for most of the weekend series. Now I understand it was against a lousy team, but regardless they went 3-0.
I still see a .500 team. The bench is still a very weak part of the team. I think Hudson is a good addition in the fact he is a veteran they added with out giving up anyone. But any major injury is a concern as long as the bench continues to be a major weakness. They have no option longterm for PK-Dunn-AJ-Rios-Alexi etc. I guess they could possibly get through lost time w a starter since the rotation is very strong and they have a couple of potential fill in starters. But this is a very thin 40 man roster should a major injury or series of injuries which we see several teams going through right now hits the White Sox.

I feel pretty much the same way. They have some talent here and there, but the roster and farm are so thin. It'd be hard for them to improve much at the deadline. But let's see what happens.

MetroPD
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I feel pretty good right now. I'll feel even better if Peavy stays healthy. I really like that he brings that Ace pitcher mentality and is a vocal leader. With him healthy, he's showing he can not only talk the talk, he can walk the walk.

oldgrouch
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Why oh why do we ever start Floyd against the Twins? Look at his record
against them.:angry::angry: