PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-29 Dunn homers, Thornton closes SOX 4 BOS 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Good win

SoxSpeed22
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Nice job by Floyd. Nice to jump on Beckett early and hold it. Viciedo's over-stride was pretty apparent, even on that hit. Reed and Thorny do the job and we get one here.

LITTLE NELL
We needed that one bad.

OmahaSoxFan
Well nice solid win to save from being swept at home. This team has some work to do though, obviously... but I like what we have seen the last two days from Peavy and Floyd. Still plenty of reason to be optimistic.

thomas35forever
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Four-game sweep? Not in our house.

October26
04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice win. Gavin pitched a fantastic game (just like Peavy did last night). I love seeing the Sox wearing the 1972 uniforms on Sundays, especially those red shoes. :D: Seeing that uniform and 1972 White Sox patch brings back so many memories for me. Oh, almost forgot, Viciedo was 2-4 today!:bandance:

TDog
04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
The White Sox did a great job of shutting down the Red Sox offense the last two games of the series, which is impressive considering the way the Red Sox were hitting on this road trip. Today Boston had just three hits in the seventh, when Floyd ran out of gas. From there, it was old-school bullpen, with Thornton coming in the the eighth and picking up the four-out save. It may be that Thornton has been appointed/anointed as the new closer, but that is what bullpen-by-committee looks like.

Two runs on two singles with runners at second, one following a sacrifice and the other following a two-out-none-on situation where the White Sox didn't sacrifice, and a two-run home run by Dunn is the definition of things working right offensively in a low scoring game.

When Floyd has come out with a strong breaking piches this year, he has been nearly unhitable. As hard as the Red Sox were making him work for outs, he wasn't going to have enough to stay in for nine innings, but the no-hit bit was nice for six innings. I hope as the weather warms up and becomes more consistent he finds his wicked breaking stuff more consistently. Every White Sox starter has shown the ability to be brilliant this season, and when they are, the Sox don't need much offense.

johnnyg83
04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
T Every White Sox starter has shown the ability to be brilliant this season, and when they are, the Sox don't need much offense.

Yessir.

doublem23
04-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Every White Sox starter has shown the ability to be brilliant this season, and when they are, the Sox don't need much offense.

Hope you're right because they aren't going to get much

shingo10
04-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I think everyone would have taken the Sox being .500 and one game out of first at the end of this month. They could have been much better but now there is a huge stretch of games against the division and if we play good ball we'll be sitting in good shape.

Tragg
04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Excellent game.

The only things that gives me pause for the future coming out of this game are bunting the top of the order in the first inning (I hope that was an attempt at a hit) and Fukudome.

DickAllen72
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Today Lillibridge and Escobar both showed they can outperform what Gordon Beckham has been providing this season. Hopefully we've seen the last of Beckham as a starter for at least a few games.

Foulke You
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Floyd had to be brilliant today with our Konerko-less lineup and he was. Interesting to see Thornton out there for the 9th. Robin knew this was a huge game to win and probably didn't want to risk the volatile Santiago against the potent middle of that Red Sox lineup.

I'd like to see the Lillibridge 3B/Escobar 2B combo get an extended look. Both of them gave some quality ABs today, especially Lillibridge.

LITTLE NELL
04-29-2012, 05:53 PM
How did Lilibridge look at 3B?
PS Leads the team in SBs.

SCCWS
04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Today Lillibridge and Escobar both showed they can outperform what Gordon Beckham has been providing this season. Hopefully we've seen the last of Beckham as a starter for at least a few games.

Solid pitching from all 3. Floyd was terrific. Nice to see Morel and Beckham sit but it is amazing a team is so bad offensively that they sit 2 starters hitting below .200 and replace them w 2 subs also hitting below .200. Then again Oakland has a team average of .203.

TDog
04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Hope you're right because they aren't going to get much

I think the hitting will improve. A few players are off to slow starts. I see the Cubans doing much better.

In any case, even in the American League, I think you're better off with strong pitching and defense and an offense that has to work harder for runs than a team that doesn't have much pitching but has the offense that promises to make up for it. The White Sox actually, have a better run differential than the Tigers, even after the thrashing the Red Sox gave them Thursday and Friday.

Still, it's only been 22 games.

I know some believe the White Sox should have swept the garbage last-place AL East team, especially after finishing the last homestand by losing three of four to the garbage first-place AL East team.

Crooked Number
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
The Sox have an interesting team this season, that is certain. Their starting pitching is solid, the hitting is streaky, the bullpen is solid, the defense is above average. Like others said earlier, holding this hot redsox offense to 2 runs the last two games after two 10 run debacles, you have to see that as a positive.

It's not out of the question to say this series should have been a split, as lopsided as the first two games were the Sox rallied back and rebounded nicely. Santiago has some issues, but Robin has adjusted. In years past our old manager would stick with his guy until the train was not only derailed, but spewn all over the countryside in a smoking pile.

After dropping three out of four to the Orioles, the Sox responded with the sweep in Seattle. Now, they find themselves in the same position, with an opportunity to rebound against a hot Indians team - with bigger implications - a division rival. Got to start winning at home.

An interesting note that Stone mentioned today, not one AL central team is above .500 at home thus far.

jdm2662
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
On another note, Gavin Floyd is now 7-0 lifetime against the Red Sox. If only he faces the Tigers and Red Sox every start...

Some other interesting notes:

All five teams in the AL Central have records below .500 at home... All four teams but the Twins are over .500 on the road. Both the Sox and the 2012 ALC champs have the same record after 22 games.

And oh yeah, the Sox still can't hit for ****. At least they didn't waste two good pitching performances in a row.

EdHerman12
04-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Great performance by Gav. If only they could hit with more regularity whebn they pitch like that things would be ok!

I found it interesting...back after Buehrle tossed his perfect game vs TB in '09 they lost 6 of their next 7 games...then won 5 of the next 8...with 15 games coming up against AL Central teams I'd love to see 12 wins or better...

ChiSoxGal85
04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Didn't see the game due to being on the road, but I liked Robin putting Thornton in the 9th - good to see that Robin can be flexible. Good win!

Lip Man 1
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
The nicest thing about the game today was the Sox actually hit a home run with someone on base...it's not quite a miracle on the level of the parting of the Red Sea or the 69 Mets...but it's close.

Lip

Chez
04-29-2012, 08:11 PM

And also tied for the league lead. I never heard why PK was scratched from the line-up. Anyone know?

PalehosePlanet
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
And also tied for the league lead. I never heard why PK was scratched from the line-up. Anyone know?

Neck stiffness.

Great outing by Gavin and just enough offense. Nice to end the skid at five.

palehozenychicty
04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the hitting will improve. A few players are off to slow starts. I see the Cubans doing much better.

In any case, even in the American League, I think you're better off with strong pitching and defense and an offense that has to work harder for runs than a team that doesn't have much pitching but has the offense that promises to make up for it. The White Sox actually, have a better run differential than the Tigers, even after the thrashing the Red Sox gave them Thursday and Friday.

Still, it's only been 22 games.

I know some believe the White Sox should have swept the garbage last-place AL East team, especially after finishing the last homestand by losing three of four to the garbage first-place AL East team.

Yeah. A last place team with some of the better players in the game.

Their ptiching staff is poor, but the offense is still filled with talent.

If the Sox had a second baseman like Pedroia, we'd be feeling real good.

JB98
04-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Typically, it's a good pitching performance -- not an offensive explosion -- that puts an end to a losing streak. Peavy pitched well enough to stop the madness last night. It didn't happen. Floyd backed it up with a strong outing, and with this win hopefully the silliness is over now. Big couple weeks coming up with lots of games against divisional foes.

TDog
04-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah. A last place team with some of the better players in the game.

Their ptiching staff is poor, but the offense is still filled with talent.

If the Sox had a second baseman like Pedroia, we'd be feeling real good.

The comment about garbage teams was meant as a comment on the folly of labeling teams as garbage. I wasn't demeaning the quality of the opposition.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
You mean an Orioles organization that hasn't had a winning season since 1997, has one of the worst owners in the game and that will finish the year again with 90 losses? If that's not "garbage" than I don't know what is. If only they had Nate Schierholtz everything would be well I suppose.

:rolleyes:

Lip

Brian26
04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
The comment about garbage teams was meant as a comment on the folly of labeling teams as garbage.

You mean an Orioles organization that hasn't had a winning season since 1997, has one of the worst owners in the game and that will finish the year again with 90 losses?

Ease up, guys. That's enough.

cards press box
04-30-2012, 12:35 AM

I was there today and I thought that Lillibridge did fine at 3B. He stole a base and his sacrafice bunt in the first inning might have been a turning point in the game. Given the lack of team offense, it's a worth a shot to give him some playing time and put him at the top of the lineup. It might also be interestng to lead off Lillibridge and bat De Aza second.

Good win

It sure was. And after a bad losing streak in lousy weather, it's nice to say:

:winner

hawkjt
04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Getting those early 3 runs on the board had to help Gavin a bunch...so I tip my hat to DeAza,Lilly,Alex,and Adam. Nice to tack on one more late after the long drought also.

Gavin had it going today..he mgiht be ready to have one of those ''streaks''...last two outings- 14 innings,5 hits, 1 run...nice.

The good news? Tues-Thursday,temps in the high 70's-80's for a change. Maybe the bats break out!

Foulke You
04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
I think the hitting will improve.A few players are off to slow starts. I see the Cubans doing much better.
I agree. The Cubans will start to hit when it warms up. We know for a fact Alexei can't play in cold weather. He has done this almost every season in a White Sox uniform. He usually picks it up in mid May. Viciedo also has started slow in AAA the last two seasons so it is likely that he also will pick it up. He has looked dangerous at the plate recently and had a homer and RBI single in the series.