PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-28 Peavy didn't deserve this BOS 1 SOX 0 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Well that sucked

TheFrisbee
04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
What a ****ty Chicago sports day.

GoGoCrede
Poor Peavy. :(:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
April swoon came a little late this year.

Tragg
We have 2 runners on, 1 out in the 7th, with the 2 worst hitters on the roster coming up. But we don't pinch hit for either one of them.
Good gracious.

Corlose 15
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
To answer a question asked in the pregame thread. Yes, Peavy is the White Sox stopper. It just doesn't do a damn bit of good with this offense.

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Complete game loss. When was the last time a Sox pitcher managed that?

Forget comeback player of the year for Peavy. If he keeps this up, he'll win the Cy Young Award.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Sucks when your stopper does his job wonderfully, and you can't score one ****ing run to have his back.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Jake did everything you could ask of your starting pitcher and then a lot more.

So far for the season, he's started 5 with 37 2/3 IP, 21 H, 7 ER, 5 BB, 33 K, 0.69 WHIP, 1.67 ERA.

The guy is a legit #1 and we couldn't bail him out.

Domeshot17
Kenny needs to get on the phone and find us a 2b and a 3b. The Morel and Beckham experiments need to end. Neither is going to amount to anything but good defensive backups. Put Lillbridge at 2nd and try and get a 3b.

soxnut1018
Complete game loss. When was the last time a Sox pitcher managed that?

Floyd did it in 2010 against the Cubs.

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Kenny needs to get on the phone and find us a 2b and a 3b. The Morel and Beckham experiments need to end. Neither is going to amount to anything but good defensive backups. Put Lillbridge at 2nd and try and get a 3b.

What do we have to give up for two starting infielders?

There's no reason to trade away what limited future we already have just to win 83 games instead of 79 games.

JB98
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Can't ask for a better effort from Peavy. Only one run allowed on four hits over nine innings against a Boston team that hung double-digits on the White Sox the last two nights. Excellent pitching.

Too bad the offense stinks. Konerko is getting better with age, seemingly, but everybody else in that lineup tonight can take a leap for all I care. Horrible approaches all the way around.

The Sox are 3-7 at home now. Remember when they won those first two games against Detroit? Yeah, that was fun while it lasted.

Golden Sox
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I can't remember the last time we had 5 hitters in our lineup hitting less than 200 like we did tonight. Is this what we're going to see the rest of the year? When will KW make a move or two to beef up this offense?

LongLiveFisk
04-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Hawk always says, "It's not who you play; it's when you play them." The Red Sox are certainly catching this team at the right time.

DumpJerry
04-28-2012, 10:06 PM
:angry: It's called ****ing run support! :angry: Use it!

LongLiveFisk
04-28-2012, 10:10 PM
:angry: It's called ****ing run support! :angry: Use it!

I hope you didn't sit through tonight's suckfest.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I can't remember the last time we had 5 hitters in our lineup hitting less than 200 like we did tonight. Is this what we're going to see the rest of the year? When will KW make a move or two to beef up this offense?

As someone else said earlier, we might as well stick with Morel and Beckham and find out just how badly they suck as opposed to trade whatever young talent we have for someone. But there are a lot of automatic outs in this lineup.

Dick Allen
04-28-2012, 10:11 PM
They continue to suck like this, not score runs, attendance continues to drop, Reinsdorf cries poor, then it's rinse and repeat. **** this ****.

Tragg
04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
We really have little to trade with and using that little in some hopes that this team can beat an admittedly flawed Detroit team probably isn't wise.
But we can send Beckham down (no use trading him at low value); we can keep Fukodome on a short leash - if he can't hit, he's useless. No use being patient with him. We have some AAAA players who could have a good stretch.

Rather, see where we are on June 15, and then start entertaining offers on some of our pitchers who won't be on this team next year. And no more deals to friends, fixating on one moderate ceiling prospect or middle relievers: extort, extort, extort.

Until then, when we have runners on in the last 1/3 of the game with Morel and Beckham on deck, for goodness sakes pinch-hit for them.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 10:13 PM
As someone else said earlier, we might as well stick with Morel and Beckham and find out just how badly they suck as opposed to trade whatever young talent we have for someone. But there are a lot of automatic outs in this lineup.

This is the 3rd straight year that Beckham has regressed.
How many more years do we give him?

SI1020
04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
We really have little to trade with and using that little in some hopes that this team can beat an admittedly flawed Detroit team probably isn't wise.
But we can send Beckham down (no use trading him at low value); we can keep Fukodome on a short leash - if he can't hit, he's useless. No use being patient with him. We have some AAAA players who could have a good stretch.

Rather, see where we are on June 15, and then start entertaining offers on some of our pitchers who won't be on this team next year. And no more deals to friends, fixating on one moderate ceiling prospect or middle relievers: extort, extort, extort.

Until then, when we have runners on in the last 3rd of the game with Morel and Beckham on decks, for goodness sakes pinch-hit for them. I am with you 100% on this. It seems like the best strategy in a very difficult situation.

Tragg
04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Just send him down and find him a coach.
No reason to give him away; but no reason to keep him on the ML team either.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Beckham is near the end of his rope but it's not like this team is one piece away from contending so from where I am sitting you might as well stick with him for this year and hope that somehow, someway he can find his swing. His regression really started in 2011 because prior to a late September series against Cleveland in 2010 it looked like Beckham had it figured out. He had a miserable first half but then started hitting quite well in the second half. He got hit by a pitch as I recall and he has never been the same.

JB98
04-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I am with you 100% on this. It seems like the best strategy in a very difficult situation.

Yeah, I'm also against looking for a quick fix.

Get on the phone and look for a new 2B and 3B now? Ha! That's hysterical. Good luck with that. I sincerely doubt there are too many teams looking to deal starting-caliber infielders when it isn't even May 1 yet. The Sox would have to overpay, and they have nothing to overpay with.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Get on the phone and look for a new 2B and 3B now? Ha! That's hysterical. Good luck with that. I sincerely doubt there are too many teams looking to deal starting-caliber infielders when it isn't even May 1 yet. The Sox would have to overpay, and they have nothing to overpay with.

Chone Figgins might be available!

DumpJerry
04-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I hope you didn't sit through tonight's suckfest.
I sold this game for well above face on Stubhub about two months ago when I found out I had a conflict tonight.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 10:22 PM

.270 in 2009, .252, .238, and now .153. He started out slow last year and picked it up in May and July, but regressed in August and September, and is starting where he left off last year.

He's a complete rebuilding job waiting to happen. Morel, on the other hand, has really fallen off the cliff quickly, and it looks like his is a motivational issue.

Years shouldn't be the timetable for Gordon at this point. It should be months or weeks. The only place that 9 hitters are doing worse is in the National League.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Ryan Sweeney's batting average is higher than Morel and Bechkam combined. Why can't we trade for players like Sweeney ....................

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
.270 in 2009, .252, .238, and now .153. He started out slow last year and picked it up in May and July, but regressed in August and September, and is starting where he left off last year.

He's a complete rebuilding job waiting to happen. Morel, on the other hand, has really fallen off the cliff quickly, and it looks like his is a motivational issue.

Years shouldn't be the timetable for Gordon at this point. It should be months or weeks. The only place that 9 hitters are doing worse is in the National League.

It might be days.

Soxman219
04-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Bad day for Reinsdorf that's for damn sure. Peavy pitched his heart out and loses. I HATE losses like this.

Foulke You
04-28-2012, 10:26 PM

What about the switch hitting Escobar for 2B? Kid seemed hungry in Spring Training and hasn't gotten a shot to play every day yet. Wouldn't cost you anything to find out what he has either. Sox didn't know Alexei could play every day until they gave him a shot to do it in 2008.

RKMeibalane
04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Ryan Sweeney's batting average is higher than Morel and Bechkam combined. Why can't we trade for players like Sweeney ....................

Because the Sox trade them away. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Bad day for Reinsdorf that's for damn sure. Peavy pitched his heart out and loses. I HATE losses like this.

Thats what happens when a team is in a slump, you hold a team that has been hot with the bat to 1 run and get shutout. I hate all losses but these kind really hurt.

palehozenychicty
What do we have to give up for two starting infielders?

There's no reason to trade away what limited future we already have just to win 83 games instead of 79 games.

Exactly. As poorly as they've been offensively, this team has to give them a chance.

SCCWS
We have 2 runners on, 1 out in the 7th, with the 2 worst hitters on the roster coming up. But we don't pinch hit for either one of them.
Good gracious.

Ventura left the dugout in the 7th to get a hot chocolate. By the time he got back the inning was over.

RKMeibalane
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Ventura left the dugout in the 7th to get a hot chocolate. By the time he got back the inning was over.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. :?:

JB98
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
What about the switch hitting Escobar for 2B? Kid seemed hungry in Spring Training and hasn't gotten a shot to play every day yet. Wouldn't cost you anything to find out what he has either. Sox didn't know Alexei could play every day until they gave him a shot to do it in 2008.

If Beckham is going to be sent down, I'd rather see Escobar than Lillibridge.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Because the Sox trade them away. :cool:

And if we traded to get him, he'd hit about .230 like he did for us in '06 and '07 in limited action.

He got really good in Oakland, but he's hitting out of his skull so far for Boston.

Tragg
04-28-2012, 10:32 PM

I was getting flashbacks of Jerry Manuel.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 10:33 PM
It was early but Dunn refusing the signal to go for home on the misplay in left was big in the end.

DickAllen72
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Beckham sucks. He's a good defender and his ability to play 2B, 3B and SS should be utilized as a utility infielder. But if he is starting games, it should be at AA level, not the major leagues.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I can't tell if you're joking or not. :?:

I can't either. If he did, couldn't we send one of the T-shirt chicks out to get him one?

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I can't either. If he did, couldn't we send one of the T-shirt chicks out to get him one?

He would have sent Beckham but he was afraid he would strike out finding one.

DickAllen72
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
It was early but Dunn refusing the signal to go for home on the misplay in left was big in the end.
Dunn's loafing on the basepaths and Beckham's total ineptness as a hitter contributed greatly to the Sox wasting Peavy's magnificent performance.

Dunn can be talked to about his baserunning, but Beckham appears to be beyond fixing as a major league hitter.

Rohan
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
The last time i felt this bad for a pitcher was Armando Galarraga's should-have-been perfect game in 2010.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Dunn's loafing on the basepaths and Beckham's total ineptness as a hitter contributed greatly to the Sox wasting Peavy's magnificent performance.

Dunn can be talked to about his baserunning, but Beckham appears to be beyond fixing as a major league hitter.

Cafardo from Boston Globe said Peavy will attract a lot of attention at the trade deadline if he stays healthy.

SteveFakeBlood
04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, today's game sucked- and today sucked for Chicago sports fans.

Still, let's keep things in perspective- we're still only 1 game out and 4-1 against the AL Central. Considering we're under .500 and have multiple players hitting below .200 and our opening day starter has an ERA over 6- I'd say we're actually not in horrible shape. Yeah, there's a lot of things that are going to have improve if we're going to be contending after the All-Star break- but it's not there yet- can we get to at least May until we talk about having a fire-sale?

As for Beckham, he's regressed the last three years at the plate- but he's become one of the best defensive second basemen in the AL. He was in the Top 5 in the league last year in Fielding %, Range factor, put-outs and assists. I'm sure more obscure Sabrmetrics could hammer that point home even more. Intangibly, I also think he has great chemistry with Alexei.

I think on offense our biggest issues are that we have an inconsistent leadoff hitter, can't find anyone who works in the #2 hole and the bottom of the order has been less than worthless. The middle of our order has actually been really good- Paulie is just Paulie, Dunn is doing what he signed him to do (getting extra base hits and having a high OPS in spite of a terrible average and high strikeout totals), Rios has looked great except for the power and AJ has obviously been performing above expectations. Alexei could be doing better, but the main problems are at the top and bottom.

Beyond Jake Peavy himself, did anyone really have any idea he'd have an April like this?

~ Steve

Tragg
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Cafardo from Boston Globe said Peavy will attract a lot of attention at the trade deadline if he stays healthy.
We'd never do this, and we probably shouldn't do it, but the gutsy move would be to put him on the market now. You're giving a team a dominant #1 for nearly a full season. See if anyone will pay a dominant #1 price.

DSpivack
04-28-2012, 10:47 PM
We'd never do this, and we probably shouldn't do it, but the gutsy move would be to put him on the market now. You're giving a team a dominant #1 for nearly a full season. See if anyone will pay a dominant #1 price.

He has a limited NTC to 8 teams. I wonder what those 8 are?

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 10:50 PM
As for Beckham, he's regressed the last three years at the plate- but he's become one of the best defensive second basemen in the AL. He was in the Top 5 in the league last year in Fielding %, Range factor, put-outs and assists. I'm sure more obscure Sabrmetrics could hammer that point home even more. Intangibly, I also think he has great chemistry with Alexei.

Paulie is just Paulie, Dunn is doing what he signed him to do (getting extra base hits and having a high OPS in spite of a terrible average and high strikeout totals), Rios has looked great except for the power and AJ has obviously been performing above expectations. Alexei could be doing better, but the main problems are at the top and bottom.

Beyond Jake Peavy himself, did anyone really have any idea he'd have an April like this?

~ Steve

Do you know what Dunn is hitting against left handers??? .095--hopefully that is not what we signed him to do.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Do you know what Dunn is hitting against left handers??? .095--hopefully that is not what we signed him to do.

Which is actually an improvement over his .064 from last year.

He's never hit lefties great (.223 lifetime) but it's gotten worse since he came to the AL.

PalehosePlanet
04-28-2012, 10:59 PM

But at the same time there are a ****load of middling, so-so types of IF'ers that could be had for almost nothing that can hit .240-.250-ish and play above average defense. There are AAA 30 year old players all over the league that fit this description. Send Gordon and Morel down and insert the new acquisitions and see if the team is more competitive. If not, so what? Bottom line is Morel and Beckham need to go down to the minors to get their swings in order.

This plan worked for another failed prospect in Alex Gordon.

SteveFakeBlood
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Fair enough, I was mainly looking at his overall numbers: 4 homers, 14 RBIs, .825 OPS. But yeah, obviously he needs to get better against left-handers.

~ Steve

JB98
04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
But at the same time there are a ****load of middling, so-so types of IF'ers that could be had for almost nothing that can hit .240-.250-ish and play above average defense. There are AAA 30 year old players all over the league that fit this description. Send Gordon and Morel down and insert the new acquisitions and see if the team is more competitive. If not, so what? Bottom line is Morel and Beckham need to go down to the minors to get their swings in order.

This plan worked for another failed prospect in Alex Gordon.

Not so sure about that. Other GMs will see KW as desperate. They won't just give somebody to him for next to nothing.

SoxSpeed22
04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Jake still looks great though, we might be able to trade him for something this year (assuming we eat most of the salary and nullify the option).

Lip Man 1
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Already the 4th game this season the Sox pitching staff held an opponent to three runs or less and lost.

They have yet to win a game scoring under three runs themselves.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Not so sure about that. Other GMs will see KW as desperate. They won't just give somebody to him for next to nothing.

As an example, Mike Aviles, who we faced tonight, was acquired for two non prospects by Boston late last summer. KW would be asking for a Clint Barmes type of player, and I doubt it would cost much.

JB98
04-28-2012, 11:40 PM
As an example, Mike Aviles, who we faced tonight, was acquired for two non prospects by Boston late last summer. KW would be asking for a Clint Barmes type of player, and I doubt it would cost much.

Yeah, late last summer. This is late April, 21 games into a season.

RKMeibalane
04-28-2012, 11:43 PM

:reinsy

"You people are crazy if you think we're gonna' get equal value for Peavy!"

Brian26
04-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, late last summer. This is late April, 21 games into a season.

Yeah, the concept of making a trade this early in the season is ridiculous.

I imagine the Sox will be tempted to trade Peavy right before the deadline (my pick has been Washington) and get a nice return since he is gone next year anyway.

doublem23
04-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Aw there's that ****ing team from the past 2-3 seasons that I hated... Nice of them to drop in

DSpivack
04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, the concept of making a trade this early in the season is ridiculous.

I imagine the Sox will be tempted to trade Peavy right before the deadline (my pick has been Washington) and get a nice return since he is gone next year anyway.

The Nats needs won't likely be pitching, as they have 5 strong SPs. They're allowing a ridiculously low 2.65 runs per game thus far, but scoring just 3.55. They could use a LF (assuming Harper is sent back down, although if they're lucky Morse will as good as he was last year when he returns from injury) or a 2B (although replacing Espinosa with Lombardozzi might be an in-house solution that works).

Brian26
04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
The Nats needs won't likely be pitching, as they have 5 strong SPs.

The Nationals have stated that Stephen Strasburg is on a IP limit this year and will be shut down before the end of the season, no matter what, even if they're fighting for the playoffs.

Harry Potter
04-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Frustrating loss. Actually three consecutive nights of sitting out there in the cold and coming away empty :angry:

DSpivack
04-29-2012, 12:02 AM
The Nationals have stated that Stephen Strasburg is on a IP limit this year and will be shut down before the end of the season, no matter what, even if they're fighting for the playoffs.

They're saying they'll limit him to 160 IP. Would that mean a 6-man rotation? I doubt they would do that; I would guess they'll have guys to come up and make a few spot starts (John Lannan is pissed that they sent him down to AAA after being a decent starter for a couple years, and perhaps not coincidentally he's off to a poor start). That said, they still have Gonzalez, Zimmermann, Jackson and Detwiler, each of whom are dealing thus far. If they're investing prospects and money into a trade, I don't think a SP would make sense--it's just not a need. Hitting is.

soxfanreggie
04-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Peavy sure throwing well to start the year. Sad we couldn't put a couple runs on the board for him. Hopefully they can bust out the sticks tomorrow.

amsteel
04-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Peavy's gonna be pissed when he finds out that even when you pitch well for the Sox you lose games.

In all seriousness I've been hard on Peavy since he got here, and I'm more than happy to take it all back if he continues to pitch like this. A salute to you sir. That being said, I LOVE the idea of putting him on the trading block now. He's a #1 starter, so hopefully we can get a competent 2B/3B and a serviceable starter back for him. Sell high!

StillMissOzzie
04-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I didn't see any of the game tonight, but did see the lowlights on ESPN. This talk of playing Beckham since this team isn't going anywhere smacks of self-fulfilled prophecy. I am ready to hop on the "Bacon to AAA" bandwagon pretty darn soon.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Frustrating loss. Actually three consecutive nights of sitting out there in the cold and coming away empty :angry:
You've been to a baker's dozen games so far this season??? :o:

I was watching hockey and listening to music tonight. When I heard the fireworks, I thought that signified home run. Turns out they were just the postgame fireworks. Poor Peavy.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2012, 01:55 AM
It was early but Dunn refusing the signal to go for home on the misplay in left was big in the end.He didn't refuse the signal, he didn't see it, because he was jogging between second and third while being a spectator, watching the left fielder instead of the third base coach. If he'd been going hard and watching the coach, he could have scored.

pmck003
04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
As frustrating as it is too watch Morel and Beckham, along with Viciedo & Santiago to some degree, I don't want to see any changes yet (unless they really see a positive reason to send any of to the minors other than just for making a change).

Dropped some poorly executed games in oakland, lost a tough one to Boston tonight; Boston being maybe the best team in mlb if just for this week; - had the Sox won even one of these games probably feeling ok still.

Yes these guys above have to hit better, and there is still the ongoing need of seeing smarter decisions with both the play on the field and management, but too early to judge imho. We knew what was coming this year..

Noneck
04-29-2012, 03:39 AM
I dont see Peavy having a much higher value than he has right now. I wouldnt be upset if he was traded now.

Noneck
04-29-2012, 04:21 AM

What I have read is that he can block a trade to 8 teams, not to be traded to only 8 teams. Thats a whole lotta difference.

Sad
04-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Aw there's that ****ing team from the past 2-3 seasons that I hated... Nice of them to drop in

it's amazing how these ****ers just slide into this ****-ass mode for days on end :angry:

SCCWS
04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
In regards to Beckham and Morel, I think there is another concern before they are sent to AAA. How good is the AAA batting coach? We all blame Beckham's woes on Walker, but when was the last time a player arrived from Charlotte that looked like he could handle ML pitching. Certainly Morel, Viciedo, Flowers and Escobar are all questionable offensively. Maybe that is KW's fault for having lousy prospects and not the training they received. But maybe sending Morel or Beckham to AAA won't solve the problem as opposed to letting the ML staff continue to work w them.

Brian26
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
He didn't refuse the signal, he didn't see it, because he was jogging between second and third while being a spectator, watching the left fielder instead of the third base coach. If he'd been going hard and watching the coach, he could have scored.

Although Dunn's lack of hustle was brought up on the game broadcast by Stone, I'm not convinced he would have been able to score on that play. The ball only got away for a moment. I don't think it would have even been close, and Dunn appears to shy away from sliding into home on close plays as evidenced during the Oakland series.

hawkjt
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Dunn should have been running hard til the moment McEwing backs him down or sends him...it probably takes a perfect throw and relay to get him,altho lately,that is what has happened vs the Sox. Still,like to have tested that process...Dunn!:angry:

Even with the disasterous week, Sox are a few wins away from 1st place. It is April,and all we can do is hang on,and hope the young hitters come out of it soon...Tank,Morel,and Gordo are killing this team right now.

wilburaga
04-29-2012, 11:27 AM
He didn't refuse the signal, he didn't see it, because he was jogging between second and third while being a spectator, watching the left fielder instead of the third base coach. If he'd been going hard and watching the coach, he could have scored.

Dunn's baserunning is reminiscent of # 35's in that he doesn't appear to relish using his considerable bulk to advantage when the situation warrants.

SCCWS
04-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Dunn should have been running hard til the moment McEwing backs him down or sends him...it probably takes a perfect throw and relay to get him,altho lately,that is what has happened vs the Sox. Still,like to have tested that process...Dunn!:angry:

Even with the disasterous week, Sox are a few wins away from 1st place. It is April,and all we can do is hang on,and hope the young hitters come out of it soon...Tank,Morel,and Gordo are killing this team right now.

As well as lack of clutch hitting. Last night Rios had 3 chances and failed. KW at least needs to go out and find some right handed bat that can spell Dunn against lefties. Someone who can be had for a cheap price like red Sox grabbed Byrd.

kevingrt
04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
As well as lack of clutch hitting. Last night Rios had 3 chances and failed. KW at least needs to go out and find some right handed bat that can spell Dunn against lefties. Someone who can be had for a cheap price like red Sox grabbed Byrd.

I don't think the White Sox have that mindset right now though. I know the Red Sox gave up a overhyped relief kid that has not met his potential and don't have to pay a dime of this year's salary to Marlon Byrd but I don't even think that is in KW's head right now. Why don't we use Lillibridge at DH or throw him in LF and have Dayan DH on occasion versus lefties. I know Lillibridge's average is down (like everyone else) but he actually looks decent at the plate. He's been taking good cuts and has been hitting the ball relatively hard. Give him a try versus lefties.

Dunn legit has zero chance versus lefties at this point.

kufram
04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
In regards to Beckham and Morel, I think there is another concern before they are sent to AAA. How good is the AAA batting coach? We all blame Beckham's woes on Walker, but when was the last time a player arrived from Charlotte that looked like he could handle ML pitching. Certainly Morel, Viciedo, Flowers and Escobar are all questionable offensively. Maybe that is KW's fault for having lousy prospects and not the training they received. But maybe sending Morel or Beckham to AAA won't solve the problem as opposed to letting the ML staff continue to work w them.

People want simple solutions when there probably are none. It is brutal to go through but I think we have to go through it and hope the no shows with the bat figure out how to put the ball in play in the least.

It's a real shame that Peavy's effort was wasted, but it is sure good to have a stopper and it looks like we have one.

kittle42
04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I sold this game for well above face on Stubhub about two months ago when I found out I had a conflict tonight.

Bet that buyer was ticked when he/she could have had a ticket for 5 bucks on gameday!

DickAllen72
04-29-2012, 12:22 PM
They can pick up Brandon Inge and use him as a third catcher. That frees up Tyler Flowers to DH against lefties.

kittle42
04-29-2012, 12:31 PM
The organization is not playing for this year. Picking up a guy like Inge is a waste of space.

My biggest fear of the season is that Williams will get garbage in return for AJ and Peavy at the deadline.

DickAllen72
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The organization is not playing for this year. Picking up a guy like Inge is a waste of space.

My biggest fear of the season is that Williams will get garbage in return for AJ and Peavy at the deadline.
But if picking up Inge allows Flowers to get more ABs, then it actually helps them prepare for next year.

Noneck
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
That frees up Tyler Flowers to DH against lefties.

Do you actually think the Sox will platoon the 43 million dollar man?

DickAllen72
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Do you actually think the Sox will platoon the 43 million dollar man?
I doubt it, but I was responding to SCCW who stated they need to find somebody to platoon with Dunn. If they were going that route, Inge would be a good pickup to allow Flowers to DH against lefties, free up AJ to pinch hit on days he's not starting and also besides being a third catcher, Inge can play some 3B and even some OF.

Noneck
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
I doubt it, but I was responding to SCCW who stated they need to find somebody to platoon with Dunn. If they were going that route, Inge would be a good pickup to allow Flowers to DH against lefties, free up AJ to pinch hit on days he's not starting and also besides being a third catcher, Inge can play some 3B and even some OF.

Yea I agree, I talked up Inge in another thread but this makes sense with Inge being able to catch and it also gives the Sox a backup for Flowers when AJ is dealt.

DSpivack
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Yea I agree, I talked up Inge in another thread but this makes sense with Inge being able to catch and it also gives the Sox a backup for Flowers when AJ is dealt.

Inge hasn't caught in years, not since 2008, and before that 2004. I think he is done, he was hitting .100 this year after hitting .197 last season. No matter the question, Brandon Inge is not the answer.