PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-27 Sawks Sock Sox postgame

samurai_sox
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Boston puts up 10 runs again. Danks looked off tonight.

DirtySox
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
They sure did.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Danks is starting to worry me. Not only has he not taken that next step to become a true ace right now he isn't even a good replacement for Buerhle.

doublem23
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/12/129156051954645220.jpg

amsteel
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Don't look now, but this offense is bad and will only get worse when AJ and Paulie cool off.

Rikirk
04-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Boston cant be that good can they?

GlassSox
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Well we are on a streak and it is embarrassing. :angry:

Let's see what Robin pulls out his hat now with this group.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM

They aren't, we might be this bad though.

Rikirk
04-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Well,...law of averages states we should win the next game.

:?:

PalehosePlanet
04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
After a terrible start, Boston has gotten hot -- just like last year. The Sox after a nice start have hit their cold streak. After the heartbreaker in Oakland, I hoped for the best, but I had a feeling this was coming; especially when you consider that we suck at home.

Hopefully we don't get swept. Jake has been great and Gavin is 6-0 lifetime vs. Boston so there is some hope.

DirtySox
04-27-2012, 11:18 PM
They aren't, we might be this bad though.

I stick by my slightly below .500 prediction.

I agree that beating this White Sox team isn't any sort of accomplishment, especially if the starting pitching fails to show up. We won't be out-slugging many opponents this year.

veeter
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Gordon has to be sent down. He's hit rock bottom.

tstrike2000
04-27-2012, 11:27 PM

Danks once again proving he's not an ace. Gordon's bad right now, but I think Morel is worse.

TDog
04-27-2012, 11:28 PM
There is a tendency by some who post at WSI to see every loss as a statement of the problems with this team, why it is destined to fail miserably. Some might even argue that until Jerry Reinsdorf and his group of bumbling fools sell controlling interest to someone who will invest personal wealth in free agents who will send back every rookie pitcher to the minors where they belong.

The fact is that this week, the Red Sox are simply a red hot team. It's not a question of the idiot manager leaving his starter in too long. It's not a question of the White Sox not having enough hitting. The Red Sox, who started the season playing bad baseball just as they ended last season, are playing great baseball. They beat up on the Twins, not because the Twins are a garbage team, but because they are playing great baseball.

Meanwhile, the Tigers can't even win with Verlander starting, and they haven't won since Verlander's previous start.

palehozenychicty
04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
This series is really weird, because the Sawx still have mediocre starters and pen pitchers. Their hitters are still top notch, as we have seen.

Our hitters are not top notch. Our pitching is good, but not elite. This is what happens.

We haven't taken advantage. Dang.

ChiSoxGal85
04-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I stopped watching after the walk to Youkilis in the 6th, since it smelled like a Danks meltdown again. Sigh. Tomorrow is another day.

Tragg
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
What's with the pitchers giving up all of those walks.

amsteel
04-27-2012, 11:43 PM

Their offense is, their pitching isn't and a decent offense could take advantage of that.

Noneck
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM
He's hit rock bottom.

I wonder if thats where he will stay.

JB98
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
I agree with TDog. Boston is hot. You could see this coming with the way the Red Sox swung the bats in Minnesota. When they start hitting, it's tough to beat them. It's especially tough to beat them when your starting pitcher starts walking guys the way Danks did tonight. He walked the leadoff hitter in the second. He paid. He walked two in a row in the sixth. He paid.

Brian26
04-28-2012, 12:43 AM

Danks once again proving he's not an ace. Gordon's bad right now, but I think Morel is worse.

I saw something tonight with Gordon that just makes me think he's done. Beckham struck out on a 94mph 0-2 fastball right down the middle. I mean, on 0-2 a good hitter has to be protecting against one pitch, the fastball. If a pitcher beats you with a curve or slider, then tip your cap. If you can't hit an 0-2 major league fastball right down the pipe when you're looking for it, then you're done. Send him down. At least Morel is occassionally knocking a hit and putting down some nice bunts. Beckham may be finished.

JB98
04-28-2012, 12:50 AM
I saw something tonight with Gordon that just makes me think he's done. Beckham struck out on a 94mph 0-2 fastball right down the middle. I mean, on 0-2 a good hitter has to be protecting against one pitch, the fastball. If a pitcher beats you with a curve or slider, then tip your cap. If you can't hit an 0-2 major league fastball right down the pipe when you're looking for it, then you're done. Send him down. At least Morel is occassionally knocking a hit and putting down some nice bunts. Beckham may be finished.

I also have more hope for Morel than Beckham.

Notice how Beckham is in an 0-2 or 1-2 hole almost every at-bat? It's not a coincidence. Pitchers know he can't catch up with even an average MLB fastball. They are coming right at him. Rightfully so. No need to waste pitches on a guy who is pretty close to an automatic out.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Left to go see a movie around the 5th. Damn, just damn.

Noneck
04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Beckham has been having trouble getting up to a fastball for quite some time.

LongLiveFisk
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Left to go see a movie around the 5th. Damn, just damn.

Well it's not like you missed much.

GoGoCrede
04-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Well it's not like you missed much.

I think we were ahead when I left. Damn.

SoxSpeed22
04-28-2012, 01:49 AM
This is a fairly empty post-game thread, so I'm assuming I didn't miss much in watching the draft.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Beckham has been having trouble getting up to a fastball for quite some time.

He was having a nice second half in 2010 and then he got hit by a pitch in Cleveland and was shut down for the year. Since then his swing has become much longer, I am not sure what if any impact that injury had on him but he has just not been the same guy since.

pudge
04-28-2012, 03:36 AM
It was fun being good for a while! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

kufram
04-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Now we find out if Peavy really is our stopper this year.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 06:33 AM
There is a lot of luck in baseball, a lot of wins and losses come into play by when you catch a team that can do no wrong or other times when teams are as cold as ice. That is what is going on right now, we caught Boston at a wrong time plus we stink right now. That loss in Oakland really hurt this team plus Danks and Beckham really stink. Its time to either sit Beckham for a week or send him down to Charlotte.
C'mon Jake, we need you tonight.

Zakath
04-28-2012, 07:26 AM
There is a lot of luck in baseball, a lot of wins and losses come into play by when you catch a team that can do no wrong or other times when teams are as cold as ice. That is what is going on right now, we caught Boston at a wrong time plus we stink right now. That loss in Oakland really hurt this team plus Danks and Beckham really stink. Its time to either sit Beckham for a week or send him down to Charlotte.
C'mon Jake, we need you tonight.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Sometimes snatching defeat from the jaws of victory doesn't hurt you, and then sometimes it sends you into a tailspin. If there's such a thing as a Pyrrhic loss, Wednesday was it.

Also seeing another disturbing trend that we saw in 2011 - we're not a good home team. Last year we were 43-38 on the road but only 36-45 at home. So far this year we're 7-4 on the road but only 3-6 at home. :scratch:

doublem23
04-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Now we find out if Peavy really is our stopper this year.

Yep. Plus, Floyd is something like 6-0 with a 3.something ERA against Boston in his career. Hopefully Sunday we're talking about a series split and these first two crapfests are a distant memory.

October26
04-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Don't have much more to add to what has already been said in this thread. Hard to believe just one week ago today the Sox were flying high after Humber's Perfect Game. The baseball season is definitely like riding on a rollercoaster (lots of highs and lows). Sox are currently in a valley.

It is a cold, raw, rainy morning here in Chicago. Here's hoping that it stops raining and that Peavy and the Sox can "right the ship" starting tonite.

guillensdisciple
04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
All I gathered from this game is that the money spent on Danks was better spent elsewhere. Him and Gavin are not consistent enough to be given the hype they are given by their contacts.

doublem23
04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
All I gathered from this game is that the money spent on Danks was better spent elsewhere. Him and Gavin are not consistent enough to be given the hype they are given by their contacts.

Eh, Gavin's contract isn't that bad, he's getting paid $7 M this year and then has a $9.5 M team option next year, even for average pitchers, that's pretty reasonable. We'll see what happens with Danks, it could just be a funk. All pitchers have rough patches. Justin Verlander's first 4 starts in 2008 he was 0-3 with an ERA over 7. Not suggesting Verlander or Danks are in the same class, just noting that even one of the best pitchers of our generation can struggle for a month or so.

Danks' extension is only worth $13 M a year until 2016. We live in a world where Matt Cain can get over $21 M a year for 6 years. You gotta pay for pitching.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
This series is really weird, because the Sawx still have mediocre starters and pen pitchers. Their hitters are still top notch, as we have seen.

Our hitters are not top notch. Our pitching is good, but not elite. This is what happens.

We haven't taken advantage. Dang.

Red Sox are not yet top notch. Let's not forget the Red Sox are playing 2 or 3 bench/AAA outfielders each game right now.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Yep. Plus, Floyd is something like 6-0 with a 3.something ERA against Boston in his career. Hopefully Sunday we're talking about a series split and these first two crapfests are a distant memory.

Now Lester has been Danks like so I think we can beat them today. I don't like the odds tomorrow against Beckett the way the offense is going despite Floyd's success.

doublem23
04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Now Lester has been Danks like so I think we can beat them today. I don't like the odds tomorrow against Beckett the way the offense is going despite Floyd's success.

Josh Beckett sucks. Strikeouts are way down, home runs are away up, no excuse other than our own Sox's offensive ineptitude not to slap him around a little.

russ99
04-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Two weeks to a month in AAA against easier pitching could do a world of good.

Then put De Aza in the 2-hole and let Lillibeast lead off and play 2B.

DickAllen72
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Notice how Beckham is in an 0-2 or 1-2 hole almost every at-bat? It's not a coincidence. Pitchers know he can't catch up with even an average MLB fastball. They are coming right at him. Rightfully so. No need to waste pitches on a guy who is pretty close to an automatic out.
Beckham's defense and versatility make him a candidate for utility infielder. That's how the Sox should use him. If only they can pick up a decent second baseman cheap.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Josh Beckett sucks. Strikeouts are way down, home runs are away up, no excuse other than our own Sox's offensive ineptitude not to slap him around a little.

Beckett got tagged in his first start in Texas for 5 HR's. He has given up 6 runs and 1 HR in his next 3 starts.

oldgrouch
04-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Beckham is cocking his bat right before he swings hence he can't catch
up to the heater. Has anyone else seen this?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Golden Sox
04-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Last year when the White Sox were losing after the 7th inning,the fans got up and left the Cell. Everybody knew the team wouldn't come back. Last night I noticed that the park emptied out after the 7th inning.

kittle42
04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Last year when the White Sox were losing after the 7th inning,the fans got up and left the Cell. Everybody knew the team wouldn't come back. Last night I noticed that the park emptied out after the 7th inning.
20,414? Looks like it was empty before it started.

Noneck
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
up to the heater. Has anyone else seen this?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He has had that hitch for quite some time.

SI1020
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
up to the heater. Has anyone else seen this?:rolleyes::rolleyes: This has been one of the most discussed topics on Sox boards since 2010. You can go on line and find scouting reports and video of his swing while he was at Georgia. He always had the foot plant and hitch in his swing, but all of his movements were quick and fluid. The foot, the hitch, the swing all in one quick motion. he sprayed balls to all fields and indeed in his rookie year he looked like a can't miss star in the making. Now for whatever reasons everything is tentative. Sometimes he waits so long to plant his foot that the ball is practically in the catcher's mitt before he swings. The hitch is also longer and the swing longer and loopier. Many of us know nothing amateurs can see this, and sometimes you just want to scream at Beckham when he's at bat. I don't know why Beckham mangled his swing and don't know what if anything the Sox are doing to correct it. Manto showed imagination in dealing with Dunn lunging at pitches, so I hope he can do something with Beckham. He looks totally lost now.

Beckham at Georgia.

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/gordon-beckham-swing.html

amsteel
04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
At some point this year I wouldn't be surprised to see a Danks/Floyd+Beckham trade for a consistent 2B/3B + a whole slew of terrible prospects.

DSpivack
04-28-2012, 03:08 PM
At some point this year I wouldn't be surprised to see a Danks/Floyd+Beckham trade for a consistent 2B/3B + a whole slew of terrible prospects.

I think Beckham's value at this point is pretty damn low.

amsteel
04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I think Beckham's value at this point is pretty damn low.

His values lies with him not playing. He's worth more off the field than on, much like Dunn last year.

Noneck
04-28-2012, 03:47 PM
His values lies with him not playing. He's worth more off the field than on, much like Dunn last year.

The difference is the long term monetary investment in Dunn, and Beckham can be sent down, Dunn can not.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Very depressing when we have 3 regulars south of the Mendoza Line.

October26
04-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Very depressing when we have 3 regulars south of the Mendoza Line.

Sure is, Nell. I was going to post these stats earlier. Here are the batting averages after last night's game (I assume these are the 3 you are referring to in your post above):

Viciedo .183
Morel .171
Beckham .161

That bottom third of the Sox line-up for the most part are 3 automatic outs right now (you must know how much it kills me to say that about Viciedo). I still have hope for Viciedo and Morel to snap out of it. Not so sure about Beckham. And I know Lillibridge has not played much this year but he's only batting .158.

Also, Alexei is staying just above the Mendoza line at .203. I know it's early and I'm trying to be patient.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Sure is, Nell. I was going to post these stats earlier. Here are the batting averages after last night's game (I assume these are the 3 you are referring to in your post above):

Viciedo .183
Morel .171
Beckham .161

That bottom third of the Sox line-up for the most part are 3 automatic outs right now (you must know how much it kills me to say that about Viciedo). I still have hope for Viciedo and Morel to snap out of it. Not so sure about Beckham. And I know Lillibridge has not played much this year but he's only batting .158.

Also, Alexei is staying just above the Mendoza line at .203. I know it's early and I'm am trying to be patient.

You got the 3 right, I also have hope for Viciedo but the other 2 especially Beckham, I'm not sure if there is any hope at all.

SCCWS
04-28-2012, 06:16 PM
You got the 3 right, I also have hope for Viciedo but the other 2 especially Beckham, I'm not sure if there is any hope at all.

Maybe it is time to see what the heck the hitting coach in Charlotte is doing? We blamed Walker for all the hitting problems, but Morel, Viciedo and Escobar don't look like they are major league ready.

oldgrouch
04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
This has been one of the most discussed topics on Sox boards since 2010. You can go on line and find scouting reports and video of his swing while he was at Georgia. He always had the foot plant and hitch in his swing, but all of his movements were quick and fluid. The foot, the hitch, the swing all in one quick motion. he sprayed balls to all fields and indeed in his rookie year he looked like a can't miss star in the making. Now for whatever reasons everything is tentative. Sometimes he waits so long to plant his foot that the ball is practically in the catcher's mitt before he swings. The hitch is also longer and the swing longer and loopier. Many of us know nothing amateurs can see this, and sometimes you just want to scream at Beckham when he's at bat. I don't know why Beckham mangled his swing and don't know what if anything the Sox are doing to correct it. Manto showed imagination in dealing with Dunn lunging at pitches, so I hope he can do something with Beckham. He looks totally lost now.

Beckham at Georgia.

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/gordon-beckham-swing.html
I watched him tonight and his front foot barely moves which I think has really
screwed up his timing.

LongLiveFisk
04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Maybe it is time to see what the heck the hitting coach in Charlotte is doing? We blamed Walker for all the hitting problems, but Morel, Viciedo and Escobar don't look like they are major league ready.

Funny you should mention that because I always had a really hard time believing it was entirely Walkers fault. There's a new sheriff in town now.

That said, it's still only April but this is maddening.

SI1020
04-29-2012, 12:05 AM
I watched him tonight and his front foot barely moves which I think has really
screwed up his timing. He has said previously that he needs to plant the foot to get into the rhythm of his swing. I think he is so screwed up now that he doesn't know what to do. You should have seen him at Georgia. Everything about him at the plate and in the field was smooth. The SEC is good but it ain't MLB. That being said, if he does fall by the wayside, it will be one of the worst failures to develop a talent in White Sox history.

DSpivack
04-29-2012, 12:27 AM
He has said previously that he needs to plant the foot to get into the rhythm of his swing. I think he is so screwed up now that he doesn't know what to do. You should have seen him at Georgia. Everything about him at the plate and in the field was smooth. The SEC is good but it ain't MLB. That being said, if he does fall by the wayside, it will be one of the worst failures to develop a talent in White Sox history.

Biggest since Joe Borchard, if not bigger than him.

oldgrouch
04-29-2012, 02:57 PM
He has said previously that he needs to plant the foot to get into the rhythm of his swing. I think he is so screwed up now that he doesn't know what to do. You should have seen him at Georgia. Everything about him at the plate and in the field was smooth. The SEC is good but it ain't MLB. That being said, if he does fall by the wayside, it will be one of the worst failures to develop a talent in White Sox history.

I saw the pics above of him at Georgia and he had a very high stride.

SI1020
04-29-2012, 03:06 PM
I saw the pics above of him at Georgia and he had a very high stride. His bat was much quicker. I live in SEC territory and can walk to the South Carolina Gamecocks stadium. I watch a lot of SEC baseball. I know that and a nickel will get me a cup of coffee. The guy has lost it. Is anyone throwing him a lifeline?

Noneck
04-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Biggest since Joe Borchard, if not bigger than him.

Hopefully the Sox can get as much for Beckham as they did for Borchard.