PDA

View Full Version : Seeing A Lot of Empty Seats at Marlins Ballpark

Red Barchetta
04-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I get many of the Miami games through our local cable (Fios/Sarasota) and I've had the chance to watch a few Marlins home games. A lot of blue empty seats, including tonight vs. the Diamondbacks. Strange considering it only hold around 35,000 and the ballpark is brand new. :scratch:

Parrothead
04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I get many of the Miami games through our local cable (Fios/Sarasota) and I've had the chance to watch a few Marlins home games. A lot of blue empty seats, including tonight vs. the Diamondbacks. Strange considering it only hold around 35,000 and the ballpark is brand new. :scratch:

It is not surprising, they should have not ever recieved a team. However, they are still kicking the Sox ass in average attendance..29,442 Miami to 20,970 for the Sox.

DSpivack
04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
It is not surprising, they should have not ever recieved a team. However, they are still kicking the Sox ass in average attendance..29,442 Miami to 20,970 for the Sox.

With a new stadium I would assume they would have a good season ticket base. I wonder how the attendance has been in terms of butts in seats.

Red Barchetta
04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
With a new stadium I would assume they would have a good season ticket base. I wonder how the attendance has been in terms of butts in seats.

What's interesting, is that many of the empty seats are in the lower sections so I'm sure they are included in the paid attendance stats, however the seats are unused.

I just think it's interesting considering the ballpark is new. Even if the Marlins are not playing well, I would think they would sell out the ballpark for at least the first few months.

SOX are playing in April in Chicago. Nothing new there...

doublem23
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
SOX are playing in April in Chicago. Nothing new there...

We also suck. Bad.

Parrothead
04-27-2012, 11:57 PM

Last I heard their season ticket base was about 15,000. Not good in my book, especially for a new park and the money they shelled out.

And yes, the Sox do suck bad !

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Those numbers are tickets sold, not the number of people in the park that night. The Marlins are playing bad right now and school is still in session so maybe when school gets out and if the Marlins start playing better they will draw more people, otherwise that franchise is in a lot of trouble.

DSpivack
04-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Last I heard their season ticket base was about 15,000. Not good in my book, especially for a new park and the money they shelled out.

And yes, the Sox do suck bad !

What is the Sox season ticket base this year?

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2012, 05:43 AM
I think the Marlins made a big mistake in the location of the new stadium. Most of the population is north of the stadium, its a long trek down from Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale and all the other cities in Broward county. I would have built it right on the Dade and Broward county line, maybe right near Dolphin stadium and Calder race course. There was nothing wrong with the Dolphin Stadium location, what was wrong is that it was a football stadium without a dome. Those afternoon rains in the summer kept a lot of fans away.

Parrothead
04-28-2012, 08:15 AM

I don't know but I am sure it is not good.

gobears1987
04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

It has to be dead with dynamic pricing and the fact most fans figured out they can just buy the big games (OD, Cubs, etc when they open the box office and get the rest from other season ticket holders dumping on Stubhub.

cws05champ
04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I think the Marlins made a big mistake in the location of the new stadium. Most of the population is north of the stadium, its a long trek down from Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale and all the other cities in Broward county. I would have built it right on the Dade and Broward county line, maybe right near Dolphin stadium and Calder race course. There was nothing wrong with the Dolphin Stadium location, what was wrong is that it was a football stadium without a dome. Those afternoon rains in the summer kept a lot of fans away.
Agreed about the stadium location. I live in Boca, and it is a haul to get down there. Plus, there is no direct public transportation to the stadium, and the parking situation is bad. You have to buy parking before hand and have your receipt to scan into the lots and garages there. I always thought they will have the same attendance problems even with a new stadium in that location. I know they want to cater to the Latin base down in Dade county, but the problem is a lot of the base don;t have the disposable income to shell out $30-70/ ticket for a baseball game.

I think they missed the boat on a perfect location in Fort Lauderdale where the Orioles Spring training facility used to be. It is close to I95, not too far from the Turnpike, has a Tri-Rail stop there at Commercial. Probably would have taken some additional infrastructure built up, but it could have attracted People from Palm beach, Broward and Mid to Nothern Dade.