PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Welcome Home (Not!) Postgame Thread

RKMeibalane
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Ugh...

vinny
04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, Dunn and Konerko had a decent night.

JB98
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
The Sox left 10 guys on base again. That speaks to the lack of depth in this lineup. They can get them on, but they can't get them in because invariably one of the black holes steps to the plate with RISP.

amsteel
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Good teams beat bad teams.

kittle42
04-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Remember how we were kinda mocking the Red Sox' lineup before the game...?

PalehosePlanet
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Well, after yesterday's heartbreaker, at least this one was easy.

slavko
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Remember how the season went into the sewer after Buehrle's perfect game? Look it up.

ChiSoxGal85
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I rapidly lost interest in this game after about the 5th inning. Man, the Sox need to learn to win in their own ballpark.

amsteel
04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Remember how the season went into the sewer after Buehrle's perfect game? Look it up.

That team had potential and was coming off a playoff appearance. This team has...Brent Morel.

SoxSpeed22
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
At least Viciedo started hitting the ball.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Sox have now hit 21 home runs this season in 19 games.

16 of them have been solo shots....JB may be on to something.

Lip

kittle42
04-26-2012, 11:11 PM
7, 8, and 9 in the lineup are now what an NL lineup is when the backup catcher and utility IF play.

That ain't gonna win you many games.

Noneck
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM

He might as well keep swinging from his heels considering the two behind him.

DrCrawdad
04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
That team had potential and was coming off a playoff appearance. This team has...Brent Morel.

7, 8, and 9 in the lineup are now what an NL lineup is when the backup catcher and utility IF play.

That ain't gonna win you many games.

The Sox might be able to survive with either Beckham or Morel not hitting but with both struggling, it's tough.

IMHO time to send Beckham to AAA ASAP to work everyday on his swing.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
He might as well keep swinging from his heels considering the two behind him.So you'd rather have three consecutive easy outs than two?

Lip Man 1
04-27-2012, 01:23 AM
Going back to last season Sox have lost 12 of the last 18 home games.

Not a great way to get the fans to come out is it?

Lip

cards press box
04-27-2012, 01:45 AM
OK, it wasn't pretty -- Patriots 10 Bears 3. The Sox should put it behind them and go get them tomorrow.

The Sox do need to start getting some production from the bottom of the lineup, though.

TDog
04-27-2012, 02:39 AM

And things didn't go well after Mark Buehrle's first no-hitter. And the White Sox tanked after Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter. And the 1969 Cubs were 8 games up on the Mets when Kenny Holtzman pitched his first-no-hitter in August 1969. For that matter,

It's just coincidental, of course, although some fans will look for curses.

Last season went south without anybody pitching a perfect game or a no-hitter. I think the season went into the sewer after Juan Pierre dropped a fly ball.

kufram
04-27-2012, 04:04 AM
The only good news today is that everyone else lost too....cept KC.

gobears1987
04-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Sox have now hit 21 home runs this season in 19 games.

16 of them have been solo shots....JB may be on to something.

Lip
Walkerball!

doublem23
04-27-2012, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't bank on them getting consistent, huge nights from Saltalamacchia, Sweeney, and Youkilis

Just one game. Win tonight, baby!

kevingrt
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Tonight's loss wouldn't have been so bad if they would have won Wednesday's game against Oakland. Nights like Thursday happen in baseball. Days like Wednesday should not happen in baseball.

doublem23
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Going back to last season Sox have lost 12 of the last 18 home games.

Not a great way to get the fans to come out is it?

Lip

If the Sox cared about their fans, they'd have turned the heat up about 20 degrees, too.

asindc
04-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Yes, and with good reason. Humber pitched poorly last night. They took advantage. Good for them. Doesn't mean Boston's lineup is any better than we said it was yesterday, nor more than Seattle is better than Detroit, despite the fact that they have beaten Detroit 10 out of the last 11 times they have played them in Detroit.

asindc
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Tonight's loss wouldn't have been so bad if they would have won Wednesday's game against Oakland. Nights like Thursday happen in baseball. Days like Wednesday should not happen in baseball.

Exactly.

doublem23
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Meh, teams blow late inning leads all the time. The mighty Angels, widely considered to be one of the consensus top teams in the AL just blew a 1-run lead in the 9th when their closer gave up a homer to Brandon Allen, he of the career .213 BA and .386 Slugging Percentage.

asindc
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Meh, teams blow late inning leads all the time. The mighty Angels, widely considered to be one of the consensus top teams in the AL just blew a 1-run lead in the 9th when their closer gave up a homer to Brandon Allen, he of the career .213 BA and .386 Slugging Percentage.

That's because Jordan Walden is just as bad as Santiago has been so far for us. Difference is that Walden is one month into his second year of terrible pitching.

doublem23
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
That's because Jordan Walden is just as bad as Santiago has been so far for us. Difference is that Walden is one month into his second year of terrible pitching.

Well I think that's offset that at least Santiago blew his save to a relatively good hitter in Cespedes. Walden got bet by Brandon Allen.

Hitmen77
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I wonder if Greg Walker is going to be mentioned in every post game thread this season. Okay, I haven't checked every single thread this year so maybe he hasn't been mentioned in every one, but it sure seems like it. Aren't we done beating that dead horse yet?

At least we got Tony Pena for him! :redneck

Noneck
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
So you'd rather have three consecutive easy outs than two?

Of course I meant depending on the situation.

doublem23
04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
I wonder if Greg Walker is going to be mentioned in every post game thread this season. Okay, I haven't checked every single thread this year so maybe he hasn't been mentioned in every one, but it sure seems like it. Aren't we done beating that dead horse yet?

Much like how it only seems like one poster continues to beat the utterly nonsensical "The Sox never beat rookie pitchers!" (even though the Sox have beaten 4 pitchers they've never seen before already this season), it only appears to be a 1-2 who keep bringing up Walker every chance they get. I guess they think it's funny? :dunno:

At least we got Tony Pena for him!:redneck

God, remember when people were wondering if he would develop into Konerko's eventual replacement at 1B? Yikes. Things have not worked out quite right.

kufram
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Days like Wednesday do happen in baseball... sometimes they happen to teams better than us. Mickey Owen knew all about it.

russ99
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Viciedo has 3 HRs, 3 RBIs and 4 runs. Not especially the run producer we were expecting so far...

SCCWS
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't bank on them getting consistent, huge nights from Saltalamacchia, Sweeney, and Youkilis

Just one game. Win tonight, baby!

Sweeney leads the majors in doubles. Must be something in those Boston Baked Beans. I thought WS would have the advantage in the match-up of 5th starters but Humber had nothing on a pitcher's type of weather night.
Tonight they throw their #4 in Bard ( their version of Chris Sales) against Danks. White Sox need a big effort from Danks against a Red Sox lineup w 4th and 5th left handed hitters.

kittle42
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
God, remember when people were wondering if he would develop into Konerko's eventual replacement at 1B? Yikes. Things have not worked out quite right.

He was a Sox prospect. We should have known the eventual outcome.

wassagstdu
04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately? When Rios was asked if he was OK with getting pinch hit for a couple of days ago, he said something like, yes, he was OK with it because his power numbers are not good. Now Rios is hitting the ball really well by going to right and performing like we all hoped he would. But he is watching his power numbers and is not satisfied. Look for him to go back to pulling and jacking and striking out and popping up. I am guessing that the rest of the team has the same thought process, so when they get home to the launching pad, they have one thing on their minds, even though in Seattle they set aside the power numbers because of the park dimensions and did well.

We think they did well because they won. But they are looking at a different set of stats. Somebody needs to remind Rios and others that "Only one stat matters: W."

doublem23
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately?

I would guess it has to do with their overall lack of "being good."

kittle42
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I would guess it has to do with their overall lack of "being good."

doubs, a lot of people would like to scoreboard watch and pretend the Sox are contenders this season. I say, let them have their fun.

I said, IMO, 2011 would be a success if it ended Ozzie's reign. 2012 will be a success if it ends Kenny's (bonus if it helps us realize we need a ton of actual prospects).

TaylorStSox
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately? When Rios was asked if he was OK with getting pinch hit for a couple of days ago, he said something like, yes, he was OK with it because his power numbers are not good. Now Rios is hitting the ball really well by going to right and performing like we all hoped he would. But he is watching his power numbers and is not satisfied. Look for him to go back to pulling and jacking and striking out and popping up. I am guessing that the rest of the team has the same thought process, so when they get home to the launching pad, they have one thing on their minds, even though in Seattle they set aside the power numbers because of the park dimensions and did well.

We think they did well because they won. But they are looking at a different set of stats. Somebody needs to remind Rios and others that "Only one stat matters: W."
Dunn pinch hit for Rios the other day, so the rest of the team is going to start trying to do nothing but pull the ball? Teal? :redneck?

kufram
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Patronize

palehosepub
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
The game was disappointing from the "get go" although I am sure the cold numbed many fans. I thought the response to Humber's arrival on the mound was lukewarm and most people didn't stand up to congratulate Paulie on #400 during his first plate appearance. I thought the crowd would be better being the Red Sox are in town and the mostly positive road trip. I saw many ushers showing people to their seats so you could tell these fans dont come to the park very often (and they were NOT wearing Red Sox attire). I dont think the $9 / $27 ticket promo had much of an impact on the crowd.

Hitmen77
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
And things didn't go well after Mark Buehrle's first no-hitter. And the White Sox tanked after Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter. And the 1969 Cubs were 8 games up on the Mets when Kenny Holtzman pitched his first-no-hitter in August 1969. For that matter,

It's just coincidental, of course, although some fans will look for curses.

Last season went south without anybody pitching a perfect game or a no-hitter. I think the season went into the sewer after Juan Pierre dropped a fly ball.

Don't forget that the '22 Sox were only 2 games back until Robertson pitched his perfect game. It was all downhill after that.

Coincidence my ass!

Foulke You
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
The game was disappointing from the "get go" although I am sure the cold numbed many fans. I thought the response to Humber's arrival on the mound was lukewarm and most people didn't stand up to congratulate Paulie on #400 during his first plate appearance. I thought the crowd would be better being the Red Sox are in town and the mostly positive road trip. I saw many ushers showing people to their seats so you could tell these fans dont come to the park very often (and they were NOT wearing Red Sox attire). I dont think the $9 / $27 ticket promo had much of an impact on the crowd.
Not exactly sure what you are talking about. I was in section 140 last night and Paulie got a standing ovation when he came to the plate. Humber got a nice round of applause coming in from the bullpen too. As far as the noise level, it was 39 degrees and many people around me were wearing gloves which muffles quite a bit of clapping. Overall, it was just a miserable night to be at the ballpark.

wassagstdu
04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Dunn pinch hit for Rios the other day, so the rest of the team is going to start trying to do nothing but pull the ball? Teal? :redneck?

I think you missed my point.

Crestani
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Viciedo has 3 HRs, 3 RBIs and 4 runs. Not especially the run producer we were expecting so far...

Quentin has 0, 0 and 0 because he is on the DL again...So Viciedo is producing more then he has..!!