PDA

View Full Version : Wood's 20 K's more "Perfect" Than Humber

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2012, 04:19 PM
So says Tim Baffoe.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/24/why-kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-is-better-than-perfect/

asindc
04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2920006&postcount=39

roylestillman
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Don't forget to read this guy's bio at the bottom. Need to find out what pizza place he delivers for and avoid it.

Quentin08
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
OMG! There's another one on Bleacher Report: "Kerry Wood and Why 20 K's Are More Dominant Than Phil Humber's Perfect Game"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157935-kerry-wood-and-why-20-ks-are-more-dominant-than-phil-humbers-perfect-game

Soxman24
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I love how when one of our pitchers does something good they always bring up Wood and his 20K game just to say it was better than what our guy did. And Cubs fans tell us to stop living in the past, please.

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 05:09 PM
OMG! There's another one on Bleacher Report: "Kerry Wood and Why 20 K's Are More Dominant Than Phil Humber's Perfect Game"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157935-kerry-wood-and-why-20-ks-are-more-dominant-than-phil-humbers-perfect-game

Bleacher Report: i.e., some moron on the internet. They don't even get paid for it, I don't think.

MarySwiss
04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
I have to admit, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Kaplan." Anyone else?

Edit: Okay, now I read the article, and my second thought was, "Is this guy still delivering pizza?"

KnightSox
04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I have to admit, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Kaplan." Anyone else?Yep.

Frontman
04-24-2012, 05:40 PM
I have to admit, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Kaplan." Anyone else?

Edit: Okay, now I read the article, and my second thought was, "Is this guy still delivering pizza?"

*Raises hand*

Seriously, isn't it enough just to appreciate the fact that someone made history? I wouldn't begrudge a Cubs pitcher for throwing a no-no/perfect game, why poo-poo on Humber's performance?

Seriously, the Cubs junk gets downright disgusting.

Frontman
04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok, I got to say even more, as this sort of idiot annoys the hell out of me.

Here is what I posted to Facebook in reply to Tim Buffoon...I mean, Tim Baffoe's commentary:

"THE DEFINITION OF PERFECT"
perfect
per·fect/ˈpərfikt/
Adjective:
Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
Verb:
Make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.
Noun:
The perfect tense.

Someone once asked me why I hate the Cubs. I stated I don't hate the Cubs, I hate the stupid fans. Not all Cubs fans, but the moronic "Our team is better every year" (no matter what the record or result of the season is.)

What I hate is this sort of nonsense. (See link and read Tim Baffoe's take on why Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game ranks more impressive and is better than Phil Humber's perfect game.)

What Phil Humber did Saturday (and what Mark Buehrle did back on July 23 2009) is perfection. There is no other performance by a pitcher in a single game that can compare to that.

I was fortunate to watch both games/listen on the radio, as well as watch Mark's no hitter back against the Texas Rangers. It's a rare thing to see/witness, and I loved the fact that it was a White Sox player to do it. One of the highlights of my years as a White Sox fan.

Was Kerry Wood's 20 K game impressive? Absolutely. Beyond impressive. It goes down as one of the greatest performances on either side of town.

However, it wasn't perfect. To give up a hit/run/error of any kind destroys the perfect game. That's why only 21 games have ever been considered perfect in the 100+ year history of baseball.

As a fan of sports, I would never, and I do mean never, begrudge another team or player their moment of perfection. Hell, if the Sox were on the receiving end of a no-hitter/perfect game and I was there in the stadium? I would be grateful to have personally witnessed an outstanding physical and mental performance by an athlete.

And ultimately, that's what honks me off about these idiots who call themselves Cubs fans. They are, sadly, a small but very vocal part of the overall Cubs fan base. They do not speak for all Cubs fans, as many Cubs fans I know appreciated and even congratulated Humber/the Sox/the Sox fans for Saturday's performance.

What I think is the saddest part of this? That the writer, besides working part-time for WSCR; also is a high school English teacher.

Who doesn't know the basic definition of "perfect."

Moses_Scurry
04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
If your a cub fan, Wood's game is better than any game ever pitched. If you are a Sox fan, Buehrle/Humber's games are better.

I love how the guy includes the line about how it is not cub bias. :roll eyes:

I feel like if 15 years from now some cub pitcher throws a no-hitter or perfect game, I would be embarrassed if this sort of article showed up comparing it to Humber and saying Humber's game was better. It shows that the cub fans have little to hang their hats on. There's really no point to it. Imagine what it will be like if the cubs win the World Series. How many articles will be comparing that future, fictional team to the 2005 White Sox??

I'm sure Diamondback fans think Randy Johnson's game was the best ever. I'm glad we don't have to read articles comparing it to the perfect games.

gobears1987
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Just ask those Flub fans how much they lvoe Kerry Wood's pitching this year. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Classic compensation for a well-deserved inferiority complex.

Brian26
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
So says Tim Baffoe.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/24/why-kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-is-better-than-perfect/

We get more clicks on the average post-game thread here than this clown will get on his little article over the next two weeks.

MarySwiss
04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, I got to say even more, as this sort of idiot annoys the hell out of me.

Here is what I posted to Facebook in reply to Tim Buffoon...I mean, Tim Baffoe's commentary:

"THE DEFINITION OF PERFECT"
perfect
per·fect/ˈpərfikt/
Adjective:
Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
Verb:
Make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.
Noun:
The perfect tense.

Someone once asked me why I hate the Cubs. I stated I don't hate the Cubs, I hate the stupid fans. Not all Cubs fans, but the moronic "Our team is better every year" (no matter what the record or result of the season is.)

What I hate is this sort of nonsense. (See link and read Tim Baffoe's take on why Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game ranks more impressive and is better than Phil Humber's perfect game.)

What Phil Humber did Saturday (and what Mark Buehrle did back on July 23 2009) is perfection. There is no other performance by a pitcher in a single game that can compare to that.

I was fortunate to watch both games/listen on the radio, as well as watch Mark's no hitter back against the Texas Rangers. It's a rare thing to see/witness, and I loved the fact that it was a White Sox player to do it. One of the highlights of my years as a White Sox fan.

Was Kerry Wood's 20 K game impressive? Absolutely. Beyond impressive. It goes down as one of the greatest performances on either side of town.

However, it wasn't perfect. To give up a hit/run/error of any kind destroys the perfect game. That's why only 21 games have ever been considered perfect in the 100+ year history of baseball.

As a fan of sports, I would never, and I do mean never, begrudge another team or player their moment of perfection. Hell, if the Sox were on the receiving end of a no-hitter/perfect game and I was there in the stadium? I would be grateful to have personally witnessed an outstanding physical and mental performance by an athlete.

And ultimately, that's what honks me off about these idiots who call themselves Cubs fans. They are, sadly, a small but very vocal part of the overall Cubs fan base. They do not speak for all Cubs fans, as many Cubs fans I know appreciated and even congratulated Humber/the Sox/the Sox fans for Saturday's performance.

What I think is the saddest part of this? That the writer, besides working part-time for WSCR; also is a high school English teacher.

Who doesn't know the basic definition of "perfect."

This just may be the best, most well-thought-out analysis possible. Well said, Front! :D:

balke
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Bleacher Report: i.e., some moron on the internet. They don't even get paid for it, I don't think.

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/bleacher-report-raises-22-million-expansion-134453

"Now, the site—which boasts more than 7,000 U.S. contributors—is getting yet another boost, TechCrunch reports. Yesterday, it announced a $22 million growth round (http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/24/as-football-season-kicks-off-bleacher-report-raises-22-million-more/) led by Oak Investment Partners, with participation from existing investors Crosslink Capital and Hillsven Capital."

balke
04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
My opinion: Buehrle > Wood > Humber.

The Seattle Mariners have a AA lineup right now.

Not that it matters - all 3 are amazing accomplishments.

beasly213
04-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't even know why we're talking about this guys column. He is just a regular guy who happened to win a contest the score was running to be a blogger for their website. And I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he won was because he's a regular caller on the B&B show as Ten Foot Midget.

Look, I get that sometimes columnists say crazy stupid things to get people to read what they wrote. But the problem here is this is a column that's written every time a perfect game or no hitter is thrown. It's not an original thought, it's lazy writing.

Plus if this guy was just some jackass who wrote on his own blog no one would have even ever read his article, but since he won a contest we're supposed to take what he says seriously? Please. :rolleyes:

SephClone89
04-24-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't even know why we're talking about this guys column. He is just a regular guy who happened to win a contest the score was running to be a blogger for their website. And I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he won was because he's a regular caller on the B&B show as Ten Foot Midget.

Look, I get that sometimes columnists say crazy stupid things to get people to read what they wrote. But the problem here is this is a column that's written every time a perfect game or no hitter is thrown. It's not an original thought, it's lazy writing.

Plus if this guy was just some jackass who wrote on his own blog no one would have even ever read his article, but since he won a contest we're supposed to take what he says seriously? Please. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the entire next generation of sportswriters will have been "some jackass who wrote on his own blog."

Hell, wasn't that who Bill Simmons was?

beasly213
04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
To be fair, the entire next generation of sportswriters will have been "some jackass who wrote on his own blog."

Perhaps you're right. And that's scary.

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Perhaps I'm just being too old-fashioned in distinguishing old and new media.

Heck, looking at Phil Rogers or many of the other sports writers around town, it's not like the old media folks are all experts in their field or great at what they do.

balke
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM

I think it's interesting because a poster on here called it that an article like this would be written. I also have been thinking in the back of my head - that Mariners lineup is just awful.

Brian26
04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
My opinion: Buehrle < Wood < Humber.

The Seattle Mariners have a AA lineup right now.

Not that it matters - all 3 are amazing accomplishments.

Within the context of your post, I think you meant to type:

Buehrle > Wood > Humber

Brian26
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I think it's interesting because a poster on here called it that an article like this would be written. I also have been thinking in the back of my head - that Mariners lineup is just awful.

You're not alone. That Mariners lineup is brutal, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get no-hit again this year.

balke
04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Within the context of your post, I think you meant to type:

Buehrle > Wood > Humber

:redface:

DumpJerry
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I love how when one of our pitchers does something good they always bring up Wood and his 20K game just to say it was better than what our guy did. And Cubs fans tell us to stop living in the past, please.

Well, in all fairness, they have a perfect game under their belts during the course of most of our lifetimes.

Oh wait, that was Koufax against them.

You're not alone. That Mariners lineup is brutal, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get no-hit again this year.
The Mighty Mariners just beat the 2012 World Series Champion Detoilet Tigers 7-4 tonight.

Detroit sucks! Detroit sucks!

Frontman
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM

No-hit is one thing, a perfect game on the other hand? That's a rarity.

They still have Ichiro. That man has a way of finding holes in the best of defenses, even at his diminished skill level.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, in all fairness, they have a perfect game under their belts during the course of most of our lifetimes.

Oh wait, that was Koufax against them.

The Mighty Mariners just beat the 2012 World Series Champion Detoilet Tigers 7-4 tonight.

Detroit sucks! Detroit sucks!

As is customary every Monday morning in my classroom, I ask my students if they did anything fun, exciting or note-worthy that they'd like to share. One kid (a Cub fan) brought up Humber's perfect game and tried to tell me the only reason the perfecto happened was because Seattle is such a bad team. If that were the case, wouldn't every pitcher throw a no-hitter or perfect game against them?

I told the kid that if he wants to believe Humber's perfect game was a result of a poorly-hitting Mariners team, that was his choice. I told him I'm choosing to believe it was because Philip Humber was just that good on Saturday. The few Sox fans I have in my class agreed with me.

Brian26
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
No-hit is one thing, a perfect game on the other hand? That's a rarity.

Right. That's why I said "no-hit".

DumpJerry
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
As is customary every Monday morning in my classroom, I ask my students if they did anything fun, exciting or note-worthy that they'd like to share. One kid (a Cub fan) brought up Humber's perfect game and tried to tell me the only reason the perfecto happened was because Seattle is such a bad team. If that were the case, wouldn't every pitcher throw a no-hitter or perfect game against them?

I told the kid that if he wants to believe Humber's perfect game was a result of a poorly-hitting Mariners team, that was his choice. I told him I'm choosing to believe it was because Philip Humber was just that good on Saturday. The few Sox fans I have in my class agreed with me.
You're a Mandated Reporter. You know what needs to be done......1-800-25-ABUSE.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
You're a Mandated Reporter. You know what needs to be done......1-800-25-ABUSE.

:roflmao:

DrCrawdad
04-25-2012, 12:56 AM
The Sox win the '05 World Series, how do many Cubbie Clowns respond? Denigrate and make it about them. They tried to denigrate it by saying the Sox cheated then by going on and on about TV ratings. Then during the Sox World Championship parade they said about how much bigger and better it would be IF the Cubbies had won.

Buehrle's Perfect Game. Cubbie Clowns response? Once again denigrate it and then make it about them (see this moron's commentary).

And now Humber has a Perfect Game. How do Cubbie Clowns respond? Denigrate and make it about them.

We regularly hear from Cubbie Clowns that Sox fans have a "chip on their shoulder" a "little brother complex" and other pseudo-psycho babble. What explains their perpetual need to put-down Sox accomplishments and their constant need to make it about them? Insecurity? Delusions of grandeur?

Buehrle’s game in 2009, like most good Buehrle games, sort of snuck up on you. Between watching it in an empty restaurant as I worked a day shift of delivering pizzas and listening to it on and off on the car radio, I didn’t realize he was perfect until after the 6th inning.

Nothing wrong with delivering pizzas but imagine the response if it were a Sox fan slamming the Cubbies and revealing that they had been a pizza delivery guy...

C-Dawg
04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
One kid (a Cub fan) brought up Humber's perfect game and tried to tell me the only reason the perfecto happened was because Seattle is such a bad team.

The Cub fans here at the office all tried to make little of the perfect game due to the dropped third strike. To them it was either a) ball four or b) should have been safe at 1st had he run. In other words, in their own little worlds, it shouldn't have been considered a perfect game. A "fake" perfect game.

SOXPHILE
04-25-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't even know why we're talking about this guys column. He is just a regular guy who happened to win a contest the score was running to be a blogger for their website. And I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he won was because he's a regular caller on the B&B show as Ten Foot Midget. :rolleyes:

I was just going to post the same thing. He used to always call in to the "Who You Crappin ?" segment each Thursday, and do a long winded diatrabe, full of big words to try and impress Bernstein and show how just ever so smart he was. One of the most annoying callers in a segment full of the same, regular annyoing callers. Like Bernstein, always struck me as an insufferable, psuedo-intelletual jackass.

ChiSoxGirl
04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
The Cub fans here at the office all tried to make little of the perfect game due to the dropped third strike. To them it was either a) ball four or b) should have been safe at 1st had he run. In other words, in their own little worlds, it shouldn't have been considered a perfect game. A "fake" perfect game.

:rolleyes: Sometimes their envy of the Sox and their accomplishments is sickening.

Before Spring Break, I assigned a persuasive paper to my seventh graders, which was due last week and I began grading them on Monday night. Last night, I ran into a paper titled, "Why the Cubs are better than the Sox." According to this student, "The Cubs have the pizzazz that the Sox don't." :?: Some of the reasons the student listed for the Cubs being better than the Sox were downright mistifying-- they had Ron Santo, they had more famous players (listing Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Santo, Ryne Sandberg, Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood and Derrek Lee), their ballpark is better (because it holds concerts and is closer than "Cellular Field") and because the Cubs have more Division Championships and World Series appearances than the Sox. Um... OK.

Risk
04-25-2012, 10:05 AM
:rolleyes: Sometimes their envy of the Sox and their accomplishments is sickening.

Before Spring Break, I assigned a persuasive paper to my seventh graders, which was due last week and I began grading them on Monday night. Last night, I ran into a paper titled, "Why the Cubs are better than the Sox." According to this student, "The Cubs have the pizzazz that the Sox don't." :?: Some of the reasons the student listed for the Cubs being better than the Sox were downright mistifying-- they had Ron Santo, they had more famous players (listing Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Santo, Ryne Sandberg, Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood and Derrek Lee), their ballpark is better (because it holds concerts and is closer than "Cellular Field") and because the Cubs have more Division Championships and World Series appearances than the Sox. Um... OK.

Give the student an F. Sadly though, that student's arguments are probably on the same level as most Cub fans.

Risk

Golden Sox
04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Did anybody notice when the steroid testing began Kerry Wood lost over 30 pounds. It amazes me how they have built Wood up after one good performance. Because of his 20 K performance he has made over $70 Million Dollars in his career. They keep paying him big money even though hes won a few more games than what he has lost. In addition to that, they keep throwing money at him even though he's been on the DL 16 times.

pythons007
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I just don't get it. On a down day where neither team is playing and there is nothing to report, compare away. However, if you're going to do it have 2 separate writers give his take to why one is better than the other (i.e. writer A gives his take on why Wood's performance is better and writer B gives his take on why Humber's performance is better).

Don't give a one sided take 2-3 days after perfection. Let the guy experience and enjoy the performance!

Not only that, Wood isn't the only 20K game. Anyone remember 2 300W pitchers, in Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson? Yeah, they did that too. That is where this comparison should start and end, with these 3 guys. Compare their games with one another. Compare other perfect games with other perfect games.

Humber/Buehrle 27 up and 27 down. Wood 29 up 27 down. Yeah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

TheOldRoman
04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Classic compensation for a well-deserved inferiority complex.Yep, a predictably pathetic display from the fanbase that boasts their mythical attendance trophies, which had taken to the airwaves and print to spew their jealousy anytime the Sox have accomplished anything. "Our pitcher was better" is nnother case of the Cubbie clowns pouting, "my dad can beat up your dad!"

tstrike2000
04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Yes, everyone knows a gabillion times over that Kerry Wood had one of the greatest pitching days ever by an MLB pitcher with his 20 K performance. And yes, we know aside from Wood and Cone, the only other MLB pitchers to have 19 or 20 K's in a game are hall of famers. Ahh, but Wood won't make the HOF because of injury. Or it could also be because he's never had an ERA under 3.00, never won more than 14 games in a season, or ever won a Cy Young Award.

I don't know why some of these morons, hate the Sox or not, can't just congratulate Phil Humber on an amazing accomplishment instead of comparing it to their walking science experiment of a pitcher. Especially from a game that happened 14 years ago.

The next pointless blog entry from these people will be how baseball had a conspiracy against the 1969 Cubs that in turn helped the '69 Miracle Mets win the World Series.

Smokey Burg
04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Well of course, Kerry Woods 20 K game is more important! Fisrt off, its because he was with the CUBS! Second, after that game the CUBS! went on to dominate the National League and have won every World Series since! And have become the most popular team in baseball hsitory, leading the leagues in attendance and merchandise sales and promotions! Now whenever anybody thinks about baseball, the first word to come to mind is CUBS!

TommyJohn
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
It's pointless to get worked up over what these dopes have to say. First, Kaplan pulled this BS three years ago to start a fight. He had to make a day of White Sox achievement all about the Cubs, and he succeeded. People on this board were even sniping at each other about it. So congrats to Dave Kaplan. He has demonstrated once and for all that asshats go far in life. And really, where did this dope get the idea for the blog entry? From what Kaplan pulled 3 years ago, of course. Funny how we didn't get the same arguments from them when Halladay or Braden pitched their perfect games. Although, if Humber had lost his perfecto on the final pitch, with the ump calling ball four, I've no doubt that Kaplan or some other joke would have said that Milt Pappas' near-perfect game was more impressive.

One thing I'd like to point out-can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? Imagine that all of Chicago is basking in the glow that only a Cubbie perfect game can provide (although ALL Cubbie games are perfect) and disgruntled Sox fans said that "so-and-so was more impressive" or "winning the World Series was better." What do you think we would hear? "Quit living in the past!" And some would, I'm sure, dismiss us as lowlife morons. Hell, some on this board would dismiss us as lowlife morons.

TheVulture
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
So says Tim Baffoe.

That's just mainstream media sanctioned trolling there.

DrCrawdad
04-25-2012, 07:31 PM
...First, Kaplan pulled this BS three years ago to start a fight. He had to make a day of White Sox achievement all about the Cubs, and he succeeded. People on this board were even sniping at each other about it. So congrats to Dave Kaplan. He has demonstrated once and for all that asshats go far in life. And really, where did this dope get the idea for the blog entry? From what Kaplan pulled 3 years ago, of course. Funny how we didn't get the same arguments from them when Halladay or Braden pitched their perfect games. Although, if Humber had lost his perfecto on the final pitch, with the ump calling ball four, I've no doubt that Kaplan or some other joke would have said that Milt Pappas' near-perfect game was more impressive.

One thing I'd like to point out-can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? Imagine that all of Chicago is basking in the glow that only a Cubbie perfect game can provide (although ALL Cubbie games are perfect) and disgruntled Sox fans said that "so-and-so was more impressive" or "winning the World Series was better." What do you think we would hear? "Quit living in the past!" And some would, I'm sure, dismiss us as lowlife morons. Hell, some on this board would dismiss us as lowlife morons.

AMEN!

Yep, a predictably pathetic display from the fanbase ... spew their jealousy anytime the Sox have accomplished anything. "Our pitcher was better" is another case of the Cubbie clowns pouting, "my dad can beat up your dad!"

AMEN!

AMEN!

That's what I'm talking about!

Frontman
04-25-2012, 08:26 PM
I highly doubt Boers and Bernsie will allow their guy to be thrown under the bus, but I had to send in a "Who You Crappin?" on Baffoe on this one.

I'll post it up here if it doesn't get on the air.

TDog
04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
In the postgame thread shortly after completed his perfect game, I noted that some would place this behind Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game because that is what many fans do. The fact is, more people reached base against Kerry Wood that afternoon that reached base in the last two no-hitters pitched by the White Sox combined.

That was Kerry Wood's fifth major league start, and, as impressive as it was, it wasn't even a no-hitter. As impressive as it was, his career was pretty much downhill from there. The fact is, the night Kerry Wood had a chance to win an NLCS Game 7 to send his team to the World Series for the first time in nearly six decades, he gave up seven runs in less than six innings. It is irrelevant that in another century and another league he may have pitched a better game than Phil Humber or Mark Buehrle when they pitched perfect games, unless it's more about looking good on a May afternoon at the beginning of year career than actually having a career that fulfills your promise. Buehrle has more than done that and hopefully, post-prospect, post-surgery, post-journeyman Humber will begin to life up to his. Regarless, Humber will have pitched more perfect games than Kerry Wood. The begins with Cy Young and ends with Humber, and there is no Kerry Wood in the middle.

The fact is, Kerry Wood in his career has fewer wins than Wilbur Wood did. And it's not as close as the relative speeds of their out-pitches.

Frontman
04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
In the postgame thread shortly after completed his perfect game, I noted that some would place this behind Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game because that is what many fans do. The fact is, more people reached base against Kerry Wood that afternoon that reached base in the last two no-hitters pitched by the White Sox combined.

That was Kerry Wood's fifth major league start, and, as impressive as it was, it wasn't even a no-hitter. As impressive as it was, his career was pretty much downhill from there. The fact is, the night Kerry Wood had a chance to win an NLCS Game 7 to send his team to the World Series for the first time in nearly six decades, he gave up seven runs in less than six innings. It is irrelevant that in another century and another league he may have pitched a better game than Phil Humber or Mark Buehrle when they pitched perfect games, unless it's more about looking good on a May afternoon at the beginning of year career than actually having a career that fulfills your promise. Buehrle has more than done that and hopefully, post-prospect, post-surgery, post-journeyman Humber will begin to life up to his. Regarless, Humber will have pitched more perfect games than Kerry Wood. The begins with Cy Young and ends with Humber, and there is no Kerry Wood in the middle.

The fact is, Kerry Wood in his career has fewer wins than Wilbur Wood did. And it's not as close as the relative speeds of their out-pitches.

Well said.

Noneck
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
The fact is, Kerry Wood in his career has fewer wins than Wilbur Wood did.

Actually about half as few wins.

C-Dawg
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
That was Kerry Wood's fifth major league start, and, as impressive as it was, it wasn't even a no-hitter. As impressive as it was, his career was pretty much downhill from there.

Imagine if Kerry hadn't struck out 20 Astros all those years ago. He'd be just another washed up former ballplayer, probably selling used cars somewhere. He's gotten a LOT of mileage out of that one game. That he's still pitching at all in 2012 is evidence of that.

DumpJerry
04-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Imagine if Kerry hadn't struck out 20 Astros all those years ago. He'd be just another washed up former ballplayer, probably selling used cars somewhere. He's gotten a LOT of mileage out of that one game. That he's still pitching at all in 2012 is evidence of that.
I disagree 100%. Wood has been a good face of the franchise. He does good community work, never gets in trouble with the law, alcohol or his wife and seems like a very likable guy. In some ways, I'd say he's the Cubs' Thome or Konerko. It's just that some Sox fans can't get past the logo on his hat. It is unfortunate that his health has prevented him from playing to his full potential. That is probably more the fault of his high school coach who made him throw two games in one day during the state tournament than anything the Cubs did to him. His shoulder was never the same after that day in high school.

asindc
04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
This constant harkening back to the 20-strikeout game reminds me of Al Bundy's (from Married with Children) constant refrain: "Ya know, I once scored four touchdowns in a football game in high school."

I also think Kerry Wood seems like a decent guy and I don't blame him for his injury troubles. I also think he would have been a top-flight pitcher had he not become so injury-prone. But the knee-jerk references to his signature game (not by him, mind you) in circumstances such as these come across as desperate clinging to a fleeting moment of glory.

doublem23
04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
I disagree 100%. Wood has been a good face of the franchise. He does good community work, never gets in trouble with the law, alcohol or his wife and seems like a very likable guy. In some ways, I'd say he's the Cubs' Thome or Konerko. It's just that some Sox fans can't get past the logo on his hat. It is unfortunate that his health has prevented him from playing to his full potential. That is probably more the fault of his high school coach who made him throw two games in one day during the state tournament than anything the Cubs did to him. His shoulder was never the same after that day in high school.

That's all around crap-o-la. There are plenty of guys who do charity work, don't beat up their wives, and never end up on Deadspin doing body shots off strangers at 2 AM. If that was all that you needed to qualify as a "star" in baseball, every team would win 130 games every year. The majority of Kerry Wood's career he has been a good, not great, middle reliever. This isn't the stuff of legends. He's not the keystone to a winning club. He's OK.

And I wasn't aware you had a M.D. in orthopedics but your blaming his health problems on his high school coach is laughable. Laughable. Wood graduated from high school in 1995 and had back-to-back 200 IP seasons in the Majors in 2002 and 2003. Might want to call Hollywood Upstairs Medical Clinic and get a refund.

pythons007
04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I highly doubt Boers and Bernsie will allow their guy to be thrown under the bus, but I had to send in a "Who You Crappin?" on Baffoe on this one.

I'll post it up here if it doesn't get on the air.

I'll be listening! Hope to hear it.

DumpJerry
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
That's all around crap-o-la. There are plenty of guys who do charity work, don't beat up their wives, and never end up on Deadspin doing body shots off strangers at 2 AM. If that was all that you needed to qualify as a "star" in baseball, every team would win 130 games every year. The majority of Kerry Wood's career he has been a good, not great, middle reliever. This isn't the stuff of legends. He's not the keystone to a winning club. He's OK.

And I wasn't aware you had a M.D. in orthopedics but your blaming his health problems on his high school coach is laughable. Laughable. Wood graduated from college in 1995 and had back-to-back 200 IP seasons in the Majors in 2002 and 2003. Might want to call Hollywood Upstairs Medical Clinic and get a refund.
Where did I say he was a star player? All I said is that some Sox fans have a Pavlov type reaction to the mere mention of his name like he's Satan and that if he was with any other team, we would probably be saying nice things about him as a person.

Before you accuse me of being a medical doctor (I never said I was one, I was only reporting what has been widely reported and is easily confirmed), you might want to fire your research staff. The Cubs took Wood right out of high school. Wood had signed a letter of intent with TCU, but never attended because he opted to go straight to the Cubs' organization.

doublem23
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Where did I say he was a star player? All I said is that some Sox fans have a Pavlov type reaction to the mere mention of his name like he's Satan and that if he was with any other team, we would probably be saying nice things about him as a person.

Before you accuse me of being a medical doctor (I never said I was one, I was only reporting what has been widely reported and is easily confirmed), you might want to fire your research staff. The Cubs took Wood right out of high school. Wood had signed a letter of intent with TCU, but never attended because he opted to go straight to the Cubs' organization.

You compared Kerry Wood to Jim Thome or Paul Konerko, Thome who is going to wind up in Cooperstown one day and Konerko who might be all around one of the Top 5 greatest players in White Sox history. Kerry Wood reaches neither of these milestones with the Cubs, save for 1 day when he struck out a bunch of Astros.

And yes, I did correct my typo; Wood was drafted out of high school in 1995, blaming his high school coach for his arm problems when he was pitching a combined 400 IP in the Majors 7-8 years later is ludicrous. And you're always quick to snap on anyone who offers advice on these boards outside of their professional expertise, so unless you have some link to back up this completely insane theory that Wood was ruined in high school, I'm going to call BS on it.

He was a flash in the pan, but his career was nothing special. One of thousands of similar cases in MLB history.

C-Dawg
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I disagree 100%. Wood has been a good face of the franchise. He does good community work, never gets in trouble with the law, alcohol or his wife and seems like a very likable guy. In some ways, I'd say he's the Cubs' Thome or Konerko. It's just that some Sox fans can't get past the logo on his hat.

His personality has nothing to do with it. I stand by my theory - he'd be retired already had it not been for the 20-strikeout game. His best days are way behind him. Its just a theory however since he's still around, sort of.

DumpJerry
04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
You compared Kerry Wood to Jim Thome or Paul Konerko, Thome who is going to wind up in Cooperstown one day and Konerko who might be all around one of the Top 5 greatest players in White Sox history.
I was comparing him to Thome and Konerko not in terms of the impact of his playing abilities, but as a representative of the franchise to the public.

Tragg
04-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I think it's defensible to prefer Wood's game....but this author said he watched it over 12 times. Yikes. WE can see where his head is.

SOXPHILE
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Dump, Doublem -

Kerry Woods' injury history can be traced to a couple of things. One of them is probably him throwing two games in one day back in high school. The other is the fact that throughout his career, he has had terrible mechanics, throwing across his body. This had been pointed out to him by several people, one of them being Steve Stone. He would not change, and when told what Stone had said, he sniffed "who's he ?" So, while he is looked at as a good guy, I've always viewed him as stubborn and arrogant. He's had to take a few bites of the humble pie the last several seasons, being pulled from a starters role and inserted into the bullpen; made a closer, and being less then impressive in that role. Then. <gasp !>, being sent to play for two other teams, the Jnjuns and Yankees. Now, he's back with the Cubs, as a middle reliever (when he's not on the DL). Right now, he's really nothing more than a mascot for the Cubs fans. Whenever he finally decides to retire, I have no doubt he'll be working for the Cubs broadcast team in some capacity, and they most assuredly will have a "Kerry Wood Day" at the Urinal, when they honor him and retire his number, as any pitcher with career numbers of 86-74, 63 saves & 3.66 ERA would deserve !

pythons007
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Dump, Doublem -

Kerry Woods' injury history can be traced to a couple of things. One of them is probably him throwing two games in one day back in high school. The other is the fact that throughout his career, he has had terrible mechanics, throwing across his body. This had been pointed out to him by several people, one of them being Steve Stone. He would not change, and when told what Stone had said, he sniffed "who's he ?" So, while he is looked at as a good guy, I've always viewed him as stubborn and arrogant. He's had to take a few bites of the humble pie the last several seasons, being pulled from a starters role and inserted into the bullpen; made a closer, and being less then impressive in that role. Then. <gasp !>, being sent to play for two other teams, the Jnjuns and Yankees. Now, he's back with the Cubs, as a middle reliever (when he's not on the DL). Right now, he's really nothing more than a mascot for the Cubs fans. Whenever he finally decides to retire, I have no doubt he'll be working for the Cubs broadcast team in some capacity, and they most assuredly will have a "Kerry Wood Day" at the Urinal, when they honor him and retire his number, as any pitcher with career numbers of 86-74, 63 saves & 3.66 ERA would deserve !

They would sooner rather than later petition him for the HOF as well.

Smokey Burg
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Soxphile, you hit the nail on the head IMHO. From the day he came into the major leagues commentators such as Steve Stone and many others stated that if he didn't change his mechanics he was going to wear his arm out in 2 -3 years. Sure enough, he wouldn't listen and he has spent much of his career in the dugout. His health problems are due solely to his own arrogance and stubborness. Whether he ever had the ability to become a hall of famer, I'll leave that to debate by the learned scholars on sports talk radio, but he could have been pretty good.

TheOldRoman
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Soxphile, you hit the nail on the head IMHO. From the day he came into the major leagues commentators such as Steve Stone and many others stated that if he didn't change his mechanics he was going to wear his arm out in 2 -3 years. Sure enough, he wouldn't listen and he has spent much of his career in the dugout. His health problems are due solely to his own arrogance and stubborness. Whether he ever had the ability to become a hall of famer, I'll leave that to debate by the learned scholars on sports talk radio, but he could have been pretty good.True. He knew his mechanics were a problem and refused to alter them. However, from all indications Wood is a very nice guy, in stark contrast to Mark Prior who was a raging dillhole.

Frontman
04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
You can be a nice guy, yet still be arrogant and stubborn. Those who feel, justly or unjustly, that they are one of the best will always have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. But, towards others and in ways of help/caring/charity; they might be very giving and supportive.

I think Kerry is one of those guys. The "who's he?" shows he didn't respect Steve Stone for Steve's accomplishments; but he has given quite a deal to charity and the community of Chicago.

Frontman
04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Ok, I did promise to post it here. (My God, were some of those calls BRUTAL today.)

Submitted by The Frontman

This one goes out to Tim Buffoon....I mean, Tim Baffoe.

Earlier this week, some 3 days after Phil Humber's perfect game, you got around to blogging about Humber's performance and comparing it to Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. What earned you this crap was not the comparisons between the two, even the debate that Kerry Wood's performance was "more dominant" which you provided some good saber-metrics to support (after the statement "I don't want to go all saber-metric on you but...")

No, what earned you this crap is the simple fact you stated in your blog's title that it was "better than perfect."

As an English teacher, you should be familiar with the concept of what words mean. After all, this is how you make a living part of the time. However, since you had failed to look up the very basic definition of perfect, I thought I'd allow Dan to read it to you:

Adjective:
Verb:
Noun:
The perfect tense.

You cannot get beyond perfect. Phil Humber's performance, by the standard that Major League Baseball has set, was perfect. Kerry Wood was NOT perfect. He allowed a hit, he walked one batter and hit another batter. I'm sure Craig Biggio would point out plunking an opposing batter isn't even close to perfect execution.

As much as you'd wish it, and as much as Cubs fans want a perfect game, Kerry Wood's 20K game isn't a write-in candidate to be included among the 21 perfect games. Yes, Kerry Wood was dominant that day back in 1998. His 20 strike outs were by far impressive, and will be a part of baseball history.

It's not perfect, nor is it "better than perfect."

Tim, we pretty much know you're going to be on this segment as "Ten Foot Midget." You'll use that University of Iowa-Governor's State University over-under combo education of yours to write some impressively big words rant against someone.

Sadly, that education of yours never bothered to include the concept of knowing what any of those impressively big words mean.

Next time you're sitting in your empty pizza place, waiting to deliver to a customer on a Saturday afternoon, grab a smart phone or I-pad, spend some time on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.com/) and look up some of them.

I'd suggest you begin with the word "perfect."

Tim Baffoe, who you crappin?

MarySwiss
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok, I did promise to post it here. (My God, were some of those calls BRUTAL today.)

Earlier this week, some 3 days after Phil Humber's perfect game, you got around to blogging about Humber's performance and comparing it to Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. What earned you this crap was not the comparisons between the two, even the debate that Kerry Wood's performance was "more dominant" which you provided some good saber-metrics to support (after the statement "I don't want to go all saber-metric on you but...")
No, what earned you this crap is the simple fact you stated in your blog's title that it was "better than perfect."

As an English teacher, you should be familiar with the concept of what words mean. After all, this is how you make a living part of the time. However, since you had failed to look up the very basic definition of perfect, I thought I'd allow Dan to read it to you:

Adjective:
Verb:
Noun:
The perfect tense.

You cannot get beyond perfect. Phil Humber's performance, by the standard that Major League Baseball has set, was perfect. Kerry Wood was NOT perfect. He allowed a hit, he walked one batter and hit another batter. I'm sure Craig Biggio would point out plunking an opposing batter isn't even close to perfect execution.

As much as you'd wish it, and as much as Cubs fans want a perfect game, Kerry Wood's 20K game isn't a write-in candidate to be included among the 21 perfect games. Yes, Kerry Wood was dominant that day back in 1998. His 20 strike outs were by far impressive, and will be a part of baseball history.

Tim, we pretty much know you're going to be on this segment as "Ten Foot Midget." You'll use that University of Iowa-Governor's State University over-under combo education of yours to write some impressively big words rant against someone.

Sadly, that education of yours never bothered to include the concept of knowing what any of those impressively big words mean.

Next time you're sitting in your empty pizza place, waiting to deliver to a customer on a Saturday afternoon, grab a smart phone or I-pad, spend some time on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.com/) and look up some of them.

So I guess you were correct in predicting that it wouldn't make it to the air? No surprise there. And very nicely done, Front! :D:

RadioheadRocks
04-26-2012, 07:15 PM
i just don't get it. On a down day where neither team is playing and there is nothing to report, compare away. However, if you're going to do it have 2 separate writers give his take to why one is better than the other (i.e. Writer a gives his take on why wood's performance is better and writer b gives his take on why humber's performance is better).

Don't give a one sided take 2-3 days after perfection. Let the guy experience and enjoy the performance!

Not only that, wood isn't the only 20k game. Anyone remember 2 300w pitchers, in roger clemens and randy johnson? Yeah, they did that too. That is where this comparison should start and end, with these 3 guys. Compare their games with one another. Compare other perfect games with other perfect games.

humber/buehrle 27 up and 27 down. Wood 29 up 27 down. Yeah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

game

set

match

TDog
04-27-2012, 02:30 AM
I believe what everyone is overlooking in Kerry Wood's performance is tainted because it the Astros had never faced him before. Despite winning 102 games, they had trouble against pitchers they had never faced before. For example, look at how badly they did against Kerry Wood, who came into the game with an ERA of 5.89. The Dodgers had scored 7 earned runs against Wood, knocking him out in the second inning. Obviously, a rookie pitcher who had done that poorly against the Dodgers should have been meat to the Astros lineup.

gobears1987
04-27-2012, 04:05 AM
I was just going to post the same thing. He used to always call in to the "Who You Crappin ?" segment each Thursday, and do a long winded diatrabe, full of big words to try and impress Bernstein and show how just ever so smart he was. One of the most annoying callers in a segment full of the same, regular annyoing callers. Like Bernstein, always struck me as an insufferable, psuedo-intelletual jackass.

:hijacked:

"Unemployed Lawyer" and "Gary in Evanston" are still the two worst crappers in history have had made me tune out of that stupid segment.

pythons007
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
:hijacked:

"Unemployed Lawyer" and "Gary in Evanston" are still the two worst crappers in history have had made me tune out of that stupid segment.

Gary in Evanston sounds like a single guy still living with his mom.

Frontman
04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Maddox Boy was especially brutal yesterday to start the segment. Usually pretty good, but when you start with

a: Soccer

and

b: Obscure soccer facts

as the basis of a crap? You're probably going to get the shotgun treatment sooner rather than later. I'm surprised they let him go on as long as they did.

pythons007
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Maddox Boy was especially brutal yesterday to start the segment. Usually pretty good, but when you start with

and

as the basis of a crap? You're probably going to get the shotgun treatment sooner rather than later. I'm surprised they let him go on as long as they did.

He was really bad. There were quite a few that were down right awful.

SOXPHILE
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM

and

I was very pleasantly surprised they did give him the shotgun. Maddux Boy is one of the Bernstein sycophants, in love with his own voice, and plays the role of Captain Obvious, regurgitating and agreeing with anything Bernstein says, which of course Bernstein loves to hear and usually gives him carte blanche to ramble on:

Bernstein : "Maddux Boy, you're on the air"

Maddux Boy : "Hello boys. Dan you are absolutely 100% correct in everything you have said about this Penn State scandal. Child molestation is always wrong, and never ever right. Also, on another note, yeah, you are 100% dead on about the Bears offensive line. They really need to be better at blocking or else Jay Cutler is going to get seriously hurt. Thanks guys, have a great day !"

Foulke You
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Adjective:
Verb:
Noun:
The perfect tense.

Nicely done Frontman :clap:

TheVulture
04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I stand by my theory - he'd be retired already had it not been for the 20-strikeout game.

I'm sure his 3.48 ERA over the last five years has nothing to do with it. Why Cleveland was paying him ten million a year on the other hand is another question all together.

Dan H
05-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Many baseball fans are hitorians to a degree and there is nothing wrong with comparing one accomplishment with another. However, Cubs fans prove one thing when they try to demean an accomplishemnt of a Sox player: That they don't care what the Sox do and are not jealous any thing the Sox do is one big myth. It is a myth constantly told by Cubs fans and the local sports media.

One other thing that it proves is that Cub fans hold onto selected memories because they have no recent successes to remember. Their team hasn't even appeared in a World Series in almost seven decades and they haven't won a playoff game in nearly 10 years. That's why when Paul Konerko hits his 400th home run, you don't don't hear a beep out of them and when a Sox pitcher throws a perfect game, we are treated to a walk down the Kerry Wood memory lane.

I really have nothing against anybody who plays for the Cubs. It is the team's phony tradition I can't stand.

beasly213
05-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I was very pleasantly surprised they did give him the shotgun. Maddux Boy is one of the Bernstein sycophants, in love with his own voice, and plays the role of Captain Obvious, regurgitating and agreeing with anything Bernstein says, which of course Bernstein loves to hear and usually gives him carte blanche to ramble on:

Bernstein : "Maddux Boy, you're on the air"

Maddux Boy : "Hello boys. Dan you are absolutely 100% correct in everything you have said about this Penn State scandal. Child molestation is always wrong, and never ever right. Also, on another note, yeah, you are 100% dead on about the Bears offensive line. They really need to be better at blocking or else Jay Cutler is going to get seriously hurt. Thanks guys, have a great day !"

Maddux Boy is a regular caller to a lot of shows. If I remember correctly he was a big Murph fan/caller.

He only calls in to say he agrees with the hosts 100%

As for the Who Ya Crappin segment, it's gotten pretty bad. You get maybe 3 good calls in a segment that has what 15?

Frontman
05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Maddux Boy is a regular caller to a lot of shows. If I remember correctly he was a big Murph fan/caller.

He only calls in to say he agrees with the hosts 100%

As for the Who Ya Crappin segment, it's gotten pretty bad. You get maybe 3 good calls in a segment that has what 15?

B&B admits when its bad, though. I personally think they get better results with the emails that come in, versus the call ins (and rightfully so for someone to call in who isn't used to broadcasting to be good on live radio.)

DirtySouthsider
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Another factor that plays into this is the pressure. Wood was pitching an incredible game, but he gave up a hit to lead off the 3rd. That relieved any pressure to be perfect or a no-hitter.

I'm sure Humber had to fight back the thoughts and feelings of being perfect from probably the sixth inning on. It almost got to him - he almost lost control while facing the first batter in the ninth. But you have to be so mentally strong to go perfect.

Maybe Wood was aware of the 20K record, but in my opinion, probably not. He was a rookie, so was he really aware of what the record was? Was someone giving him a running total of where he was at?

Another side note - Wood's 20Ks happened on May 6, 1998 - dry, 71 degrees at Wrigley Field - attendance .....15,758

Frontman
05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Another factor that plays into this is the pressure. Wood was pitching an incredible game, but he gave up a hit to lead off the 3rd. That relieved any pressure to be perfect or a no-hitter.

I'm sure Humber had to fight back the thoughts and feelings of being perfect from probably the sixth inning on. It almost got to him - he almost lost control while facing the first batter in the ninth. But you have to be so mentally strong to go perfect.

Maybe Wood was aware of the 20K record, but in my opinion, probably not. He was a rookie, so was he really aware of what the record was? Was someone giving him a running total of where he was at?

Another side note - Wood's 20Ks happened on May 6, 1998 - dry, 71 degrees at Wrigley Field - attendance .....15,758

He's clearly not a baseball historian by any means, not knowing what Steve Stone has ever done in baseball......

DrCrawdad
05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
...Cubs fans prove one thing when they try to demean an accomplishment of a Sox player:

That they don't care what the Sox do and are not jealous any thing the Sox do is one big myth. It is a myth constantly told by Cubs fans and the local sports media.

They constantly catapult the propaganda that Cubbie fans don't follow the Sox...don't care about the Sox...never comment about the Sox...

But then there are Cubbie fans talking about the Sox (or in this case, talking about the Sox but then trying to make it about them) and that's because they're just interested in baseball. Then a week later deny ever talking about the Sox.

It's a weird thing - Denial? Dishonesty?

RadioheadRocks
05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
They constantly catapult the propaganda that Cubbie fans don't follow the Sox...don't care about the Sox...never comment about the Sox...

But then there are Cubbie fans talking about the Sox (or in this case, talking about the Sox but then trying to make it about them) and that's because they're just interested in baseball. Then a week later deny ever talking about the Sox.

It's a weird thing - Denial? Dishonesty?

Bingo! Hypocrisy be thy name...