PDA

View Full Version : Frank says Dunn is "more comfortable" playing for Robin.

asindc
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I started listening in the middle of the conversation, but Frank is currently discussing the team on ESPN 1000, and he said he thinks Dunn feels more comfortable with Robin than he did with Ozzie. When asked to elaborate, he said that it is easy to understand what Robin is selling. I did not catch more than that.

34 Inch Stick
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I think Frank is projecting his dislike for Ozzie even if it might be true

Rocky Soprano
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM

If it's true then I don't see a problem with him saying it.

TheOldRoman
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Uh oh. Now we get to hear Ozzie rant about Dunn and call Frank is a piece of ****.

tstrike2000
04-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Uh oh. Now we get to hear Ozzie rant about Dunn and call Frank is a piece of ****.

You never know. Although, after Ozzie's last escapade and subsequent suspension, hopefully he'll just keep his mouth shut.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM

No, I imagine he's on a very short leash right now.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2012, 05:14 PM

What makes you believe that Frank doesn't like Ozzie?

DrCrawdad
04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Last year I ran into AJ at Midway in early October as he was headed home. I had a very, very brief conversation with AJ. AJ was very cool towards me. He basically apologized for the season and confidentially said it would be better next season. You could read into it as you wish but so far he's right.

TomBradley72
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
The entire team seems "more comfortable" playing for Robin and his staff.

It's early and there may be a lot of factors involved- but Dunn, Rios, Peavy, AJ- are all playing at a higher level than they did under Ozzie.

DickAllen72
04-24-2012, 05:28 PM
No surprise about that.

kittle42
04-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Last year I ran into AJ at Midway in early October as he was headed home. I had a very, very brief conversation with AJ. AJ was very cool towards me. He basically apologized for the season and confidentially said it would be better next season. You could read into it as you wish but so far he's right.

Confidentiality isn't what it used to be. :wink:

soltrain21
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't see how that's possible. Ozzie was fantastic at making his guys at ease by drawing all the attention to him. It was just fantastic people managing.

Frontman
04-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I thought Frank's beef was with Kenny, which is now ancient history. Frank was welcomed back to the team with open arms to be an ambassador.

Back to the point at hand, I know it isn't just the team, but the fanbase as a whole that is more comfortable with Robin. We all grew tired of Ozzie's rants and lunacy; and Robin has been a steady hand at the helm since taking over. There hasn't been any sideline BS this year. Robin hasn't taken up the plight of injured infielders or any other sort of nonsense.

It's been about White Sox, the team they're playing, and the performance of the game just played/about to be played.

When all is said and done, that's what we got and what the team and the fanbase needs.

voodoochile
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Well it's pretty obvious Dunn is in better shape now than he was last year too. Whether that was caused by the early season surgery throwing him off his regular routine or he decided to take things more seriously realizing he wasn't a kid anymore I wouldn't speculate, but watching him last night he definitely was less squishy than he was last year.

delben91
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Well it's pretty obvious Dunn is in better shape now than he was last year too. Whether that was caused by the early season surgery throwing him off his regular routine or he decided to take things more seriously realizing he wasn't a kid anymore I wouldn't speculate, but watching him last night he definitely was less squishy than he was last year.

I luv it when you analyze!

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Less squishy?

http://bostonist.com/attachments/boston_jon/squishee.jpg

:whiner:

Frontman
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
-1kl4LnLzfQ

russ99
04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Seems obvious to me the actual reason - the low expectations this season and little pressure.

No "All In!" nonsense, no guaranteed division titles before the season, no assuming you can coast to a win with little to no hard work, no pressing if your stats look ugly.

It's easy to blame Ozzie for some of that, but the players surely did their part last year too.

I am glad things are better this year. I'm sure Robin keeping things loose doesn't hurt. But there's no need pushing a dislike of Ozzie on every situation involving this year's team - it's real constructive...

DrCrawdad
04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Confidentiality isn't what it used to be. :wink:

Good catch! I meant: confidently, he spoke with confidence.

ilsox7
04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
It's pretty obvious to anyone with common sense and a brain that these players may have been more sick of Ozzie than 99.9% of the fans. And that's pretty amazing considering how sick of him the sane part of the fanbase was.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
It's pretty obvious to anyone with common sense and a brain that these players may have been more sick of Ozzie than 99.9% of the fans. And that's pretty amazing considering how sick of him the sane part of the fanbase was.

I always wonder how the average and casual fans felt about Ozzie. Sure, there were plenty who disliked him on here, but I don't know that it's representative of the entire fanbase, especially considering the warm reception he usually got at games and Soxfest.

Aesero
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I always wonder how the average and casual fans felt about Ozzie. Sure, there were plenty who disliked him on here, but I don't know that it's representative of the entire fanbase, especially considering the warm reception he usually got at games and Soxfest.
Average and casual fans probably don't watch every game, and because of that weren't able to see the decision making he made day in and day out that frustrated this board so much.

Their perceptions of Ozzie would be taken most from remembering that he led the 05 team and the articles written about him (aka he who shall not be named from the Sun Times).

tacosalbarojas
04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Everyone knows Ozzie didn't want a traditional DH, ie an Adam Dunn. As well as we know Ozzie after his playing career and his eight years managing, you know he couldn't have made an awkward situation easy in any way for Dunn...obvious from a lot of what went on last year too, so of course, Dunn is more comfortable playing for Robin...he'd probably be more comfortable playing for Earl Weaver after last year.

fram40
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
What makes you believe that Frank doesn't like Ozzie?

Didn't Frank and Ozzie have an uneasy relationship as teammates?

IIRC - Ozzie always rode Frank hard for being obsessed with his stats.

balke
04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Comfort? Does anyone embrace this notion of comfort?

I would gladly pay Adam to leave the team right now if he failed so miserably last year because he felt "uncomfortable" with his boss. That's a horrid atmosphere for a team to let breed. "Don't like your boss? just take the season off until he gets fired".

RKMeibalane
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Didn't Frank and Ozzie have an uneasy relationship as teammates?

IIRC - Ozzie always rode Frank hard for being obsessed with his stats.

He did, but it always seemed to me that Ozzie had a bigger problem with Frank than the reverse. Frank voiced his concern for Ozzie after he made the awful Castro comments, and wished him well. He also defended him in 2005 when Magglio trashed the entire Sox organization, and called Ozzie "his enemy."

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Comfort? Does anyone embrace this notion of comfort?

I would gladly pay Adam to leave the team right now if he failed so miserably last year because he felt "uncomfortable" with his boss. That's a horrid atmosphere for a team to let breed. "Don't like your boss? just take the season off until he gets fired".

Do you really think he purposefully trashed an entire season of his career--the worst season any MLB regular has ever had--because he didn't like the manager? That's insane.

TDog
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Seems obvious to me the actual reason - the low expectations this season and little pressure.

No "All In!" nonsense, no guaranteed division titles before the season, no assuming you can coast to a win with little to no hard work, no pressing if your stats look ugly.

It's easy to blame Ozzie for some of that, but the players surely did their part last year too.

I am glad things are better this year. I'm sure Robin keeping things loose doesn't hurt. But there's no need pushing a dislike of Ozzie on every situation involving this year's team - it's real constructive...

Many Sox fans believe Ozzie Guillen ruined their summer, and they aren't going to get over it.

I believe you and Voodoo are closer to what is going on.

This year, however, the pressure and expectations are one the Tigers, and the White sox aren't nearly as bad as many, including many of their fans, expected them to be.

balke
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Do you really think he purposefully trashed an entire season of his career--the worst season any MLB regular has ever had--because he didn't like the manager? That's insane.

I don't know one way or the other anymore. It was such a drastic drop in performance with little to no clear explanation. His coming into the season making comments about how he needs to play in the field cause he's not a DH doesn't help his case for me. I see his failure as an extension of his attitude.

fram40
04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
He did, but it always seemed to me that Ozzie had a bigger problem with Frank than the reverse. Frank voiced his concern for Ozzie after he made the awful Castro comments, and wished him well. He also defended him in 2005 when Magglio trashed the entire Sox organization, and called Ozzie "his enemy."

Interesting pov. I've always assumed Frank had ulterior motives for backing Ozzie.

slavko
04-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Lighter bat, lighter arms...no wonder he's making contact.

TomBradley72
04-24-2012, 10:13 PM

It's still a small sample size- but when you have basically the same roster- and the only real changes you made is the manager and the staff- and the change is this dramatic- it's not a matter of disliking Ozzie- it's just so obvious that the change was needed and that he we as a big part of the problem at the end of hsi tenure.

fram40
04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Just finished reading Jayson Stark's useless info column:

Adam Dunn became the first player in baseball history to strikeout in each of his team's first 15 games. He extended the streak to 16 games last night.

Looks like the streak may end tonight ...

Frontman
04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Ozzie brought down all this negativity towards him on his own. His disgust at Thome/Dunn; his NL approach in the AL, his "I want gloves," his pick a fight attitude at every turn, as well as his need to bring topics to the microphone that had nothing to do with baseball eventually made the fan base sour on him.

Ozzie also couldn't just leave Chicago without finding every bridge, taking a torch to it, and then cursing at those left on the other side. His continual appearances on Chicago radio proved he didn't want to leave it well enough alone.

Sure, there will always be Ozzie lovers in the fan base (just like there will always be Barry Bonds, Kerry Woods, A-Rod, etc lovers in other team's fan bases.)

But I think Dunn is just illustrating the fact that sometimes a change in leadership can remove pressures that a player or employee feels. Could be real, could be imagined, but at the end of the day?

He's playing better ball these past two weeks. The whole team is.

fram40
04-25-2012, 12:39 AM

Adam Dunn became the first player in baseball history to strikeout in each of his team's first 15 games. He extended the streak to 16 games last night.

Looks like the streak may end tonight ...

Interesting that RV pinch hit for Rios in the ninth - thus depriving Rios one last chance to extend his hitting streak.

Dunn pinch "hit" for Rios and successfully extended his streak to 17 games.

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2012, 12:58 AM

Looks like the streak may end tonight ...It didn't.

kobo
04-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Ozzie brought down all this negativity towards him on his own. His disgust at Thome/Dunn; his NL approach in the AL, his "I want gloves," his pick a fight attitude at every turn, as well as his need to bring topics to the microphone that had nothing to do with baseball eventually made the fan base sour on him.

Ozzie also couldn't just leave Chicago without finding every bridge, taking a torch to it, and then cursing at those left on the other side. His continual appearances on Chicago radio proved he didn't want to leave it well enough alone.

Sure, there will always be Ozzie lovers in the fan base (just like there will always be Barry Bonds, Kerry Woods, A-Rod, etc lovers in other team's fan bases.)

But I think Dunn is just illustrating the fact that sometimes a change in leadership can remove pressures that a player or employee feels. Could be real, could be imagined, but at the end of the day?

He's playing better ball these past two weeks. The whole team is.
This is what we should all be focused on right now. No matter what any of us think the results at this time prove that a change was needed. I like what I see out of this team right now, and whatever Robin and his staff are selling the players are buying into it. I don't know what to expect but I am enjoying this start and I am going to try my best to get out and support this team.

BNLSox
04-25-2012, 02:43 AM
I luv it when you analyze!

YES! Just laughed out loud and woke up my wife and dog.

Well played sir, well played.