PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten 100th Anniversary of Tiger Stadium

Foulke You
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
This article is kind've sad. We have our our own empty parking lot of baseball history at 35th and Shields but at least there is an official marker there and baseball is still played at that intersection. Tigers fans don't even get that:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-stadium-opened-100-years-ago-just-like-fenway-park--but-it-s-ignored-in-detroit.html

dwitt76
04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Ashamed that the park is not somehow honered as it had a lot of great memories in it as well as character. I just watched a documentary on the classic ballparks and this was one of them (comiskey/fenway/wrigley were the others). I assume the city has no $$ to spare.

doublem23
04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Deadspin had a nice piece on this, too, especially the parts about how the City of Detroit has bumbled (surprise!) the process of preserving it for non-existant development.

http://deadspin.com/5904392/tiger-stadium-turned-100-this-weekend-too

SephClone89
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Ashamed that the park is not somehow honered as it had a lot of great memories in it as well as character. I just watched a documentary on the classic ballparks and this was one of them (comiskey/fenway/wrigley were the others). I assume the city has no $$ to spare.

What's it called?

Golden Sox
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I went there in 1991 to see the White Sox play the Tigers. I thought the stadium was in better shape than the old Comiskey Park.

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Deadspin had a nice piece on this, too, especially the parts about how the City of Detroit has bumbled (surprise!) the process of preserving it for non-existant development.

http://deadspin.com/5904392/tiger-stadium-turned-100-this-weekend-too

I went there in 1991 to see the White Sox play the Tigers. I thought the stadium was in better shape than the old Comiskey Park.

One of the interesting things about the destruction of both Tiger Stadium and Old Comiskey was how long it took partially because the stadiums were so solidly built. Granted both stadiums were in bad shape but they were probably in better shape than Wrigley Field is now and probably in better shape than Fenway was before its renovation.

dwitt76
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
What's it called?

America's classic ballparks. Made in the late 80's. Old Comiskey was still standing but the new one was being built. Hosted by actor Jeff Daniels. I netflixed it

Foulke You
04-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Wikipedia has a rather extensive history on the ballpark. What is especially interesting is the 21st century section where they detail some of the innovative proposals that could have saved the ballpark. Obviously, stripping the memorabilia out of the ballpark to sell for the city's coffers was more important to them. Now they are left with an empty lot...one of many in the crumbling city of Detroit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Stadium_%28Detroit%29

Hendu
04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
By mere coincidence, I drove by the Tigers Stadium site on Friday while on our way to Toronto (met my cousin for lunch at Russell St Deli in Eastern Market, then decided to drive down Michigan towards the Ambassador Bridge), and stopped to watch some of the pick-up game going on. Didn't realize it was the 100th anniversary.

Not surprising that developers have no interest in the land; there are vacant buildings and empty lots all over Corktown. A few cool bars and a good BBQ place too, but not enough critical mass to go developing a large vacant piece of land.

Wedema
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Besides The Cell and Comiskey, I saw more games at Tiger Stadium than any other ballpark. I used to go up to Detroit every year in the 90's to catch a series when the Sox were in town. Spent some fun nights in Windsor also.

RKMeibalane
04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Here's a nice commentary (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7851622/tiger-stadium-turned-100-little-fanfare) on Tiger Stadium from ESPN.

AZChiSoxFan
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Nice, but sad article.

So glad I got to attend a game there during the final season. It was the only game I ever went to there, but still, I loved the stadium. We sat in the top row of the upper deck behind home plate, and I felt like I was right on top of the field.

MeteorsSox4367
04-28-2012, 08:50 AM
One of the interesting things about the destruction of both Tiger Stadium and Old Comiskey was how long it took partially because the stadiums were so solidly built. Granted both stadiums were in bad shape but they were probably in better shape than Wrigley Field is now and probably in better shape than Fenway was before its renovation.

But Wrigley and Fenway deserved to be preserved because they're wonderful parks with wonderful baseball played in front of wonderful fans.

The White Sox and the Tigers? Who are they?

MeteorsSox4367
04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I got to see the Tigers and Mariners at Tiger Stadium in 1999. Aside from the neighborhood being interesting, I thought the ballpark was amazing. We sat down the LF line, but got there early enough to walk around inside and take pictures.

A friend had said that since I missed Comiskey that much, Tiger Stadium would remind me of it. He was right. Great old ballpark.