PDA

View Full Version : Humber on Letterman

Lip Man 1
04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Monday night giving the Top 10 list according to Gonzo.

Lip

34rancher
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
In NY or from Oak?

thomas35forever
04-23-2012, 02:57 AM
I'll be watching.

And I assume he'll be on from Oakland.

cub killer
04-23-2012, 04:58 AM
I wonder what the Top 10 List will be. Top 10 signs you are throwing a perfect game? Will he compare a perfect game to the presidential race?

And I also wonder which celebrities Letterman will slag in this particular Top 10.

VenturaFan23
04-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Cool, dvr is set.

DumpJerry
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
In NY or from Oak?
Why would he be in Oakland? He does not pitch again until Thursday night here in Chicago. Oftentimes, the first starter of a series goes to the city ahead of the team by a few days to get rested up.

asindc
04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Why would he be in Oakland? He does not pitch again until Thursday night here in Chicago. Oftentimes, the first starter of a series goes to the city ahead of the team by a few days to get rested up.

I don't think the Sox would want to have Humber flying from Seattle to New York to Chicago, even with four days to do it. They might allow it, but I would be surprised.

DumpJerry
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
It was taped Saturday night (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0423-white-sox-humber--20120423,0,4654009.story).

Procol Harum
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Outstanding: DVR must!

asindc
04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
It was taped Saturday night (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0423-white-sox-humber--20120423,0,4654009.story).

In that case, I seriously doubt he flew to NY after Saturday's game, and then back to Seattle for the Sunday afternoon game.

shingo10
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
When Buehrle and Dewayne Wise were on the top 10 list it was taped the Twinkie Dome if I remember right. I think it was about a week after the actual perfecto.

anewman35
04-23-2012, 09:02 PM

The article doesn't actually say it was taped Saturday night (and it would be really weird if it had been, since Letterman's writers wouldn't even have been around on a Saturday to write it).

From this picture (http://twitpic.com/9d8isl) the Sox posted, it was recorded today in Oakland.

sox1970
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes, it was shot this afternoon in Oakland. There's a video clip on the Late Show website.

thomas35forever
04-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Just watched it. List itself was just okay. We also found out Phil doesn't ice afterward, which Letterman took a jab at.

vinny
04-24-2012, 12:04 AM
He's a cutie. He even shaved.

fram40
04-24-2012, 12:37 AM

I thought one of the best comments during the game itself - one of the announcers stated that had Humber known he was going to be on camera so much he probably would have shaved.

ChiSoxGal85
04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
The list was ok - I think some were inside Letterman jokes that weren't that funny if you don't watch Letterman regularly. I liked the meatloaf one, though...and the fantasy team.

But I'm proud of Philip - he well represented our Sox. Great job. :bandance:

GlassSox
04-24-2012, 01:25 AM
The list was ok - I think some were inside Letterman jokes that weren't that funny if you don't watch Letterman regularly. I liked the meatloaf one, though...and the fantasy team.

But I'm proud of Philip - he well represented our Sox. Great job. :bandance:

I agree, I think he did a very nice job.

doublem23
04-24-2012, 01:36 AM

They usually send them the night before to make sure there are no travel hiccups and the SP gets proper rest the night before but, I know we all think MLB players just sit around their hotels or the clubhouse all day getting wasted or sleeping, but they actually do get some work in on off-days, whether that be time with the training staff or doing some light bullpen throwing.

thomas35forever
04-24-2012, 02:12 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120423&content_id=29474236&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws
More on the appearance and a call from a White Sox fan who lives in a certain house in Washington D.C.

hawkjt
04-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Sox jumping on the Perfecto to promote Humbar's first start since Saturday ...thursday at SoxPark vs the Red Sox...all upper deck seats for 9 dollars(for 9 perfect innings) and all lower seats for 27 dollars(27 outs)...go get'em sox fans...and lets welcome the boys back from a great road trip,and give Phillip the home field greeting he richly deserves.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Sox jumping on the Perfecto to promote Humbar's first start since Saturday ...thursday at SoxPark vs the Red Sox...all upper deck seats for 9 dollars(for 9 perfect innings) and all lower seats for 27 dollars(27 outs)...go get'em sox fans...and lets welcome the boys back from a great road trip,and give Phillip the home field greeting he richly deserves.

Wow...great move by the Sox.

I'd kill to go to this game, but I got two jobs, and I work both on Thursdays. Why couldn't it have been on Saturday?

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2012, 06:32 AM

UD for $9 is a pretty good deal...I may have to take them up on that. :D:

34rancher
04-24-2012, 07:38 AM
For those who turned off after Humber was done with the top ten list, Dave called him back later in the show. Talking about muddying up the baseball, chewing sunflower seeds, and the speed of the perfect game. He also wanted to know how his yacker was, to which Phil responded "tremendous".

DonnieDarko
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I intend to get tickets to Thursday night's game.

And what's a "yacker"? >_>

asindc
04-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I intend to get tickets to Thursday night's game.

And what's a "yacker"? >_>

A bender. Ol' Uncle Charlie.

MisterB
04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
A bender. Ol' Uncle Charlie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png/220px-Bender_Rodriguez.png? http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsD/4513-19202.gif ?

:redneck

Hitmen77
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png/220px-Bender_Rodriguez.png? http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsD/4513-19202.gif ?

:redneck

:rolling:

white sox bill
04-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I actually like Marks Top Ten better, but Phillip had a few good ones. My neighboor, a cubs fan, went to game at Wrigley Saturday and went to a bar afterwords. He was wondering why everyone at the bar was glued to the TV then he realized what was happening. He thought the perfecto was cool, but other cub fans pointed out it was against Seattle and of course they pointed out we are like 29th in attendance. Leave it to cub fans to point to the attendance issue 3 wks into the season...

But it was nice to have the option of choosing which perfect game Top Ten we preferred Marks or Phils. Not to many other teams have that choice

AnkleSox
04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I actually like Marks Top Ten better, but Phillip had a few good ones. My neighboor, a cubs fan, went to game at Wrigley Saturday and went to a bar afterwords. He was wondering why everyone at the bar was glued to the TV then he realized what was happening. He thought the perfecto was cool, but other cub fans pointed out it was against Seattle and of course they pointed out we are like 29th in attendance. Leave it to cub fans to point to the attendance issue 3 wks into the season...

But it was nice to have the option of choosing which perfect game Top Ten we preferred Marks or Phils. Not to many other teams have that choice

The Cubs haven't exactly had spectacular attendance this season either.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM

He is. :redface:

DumpJerry
04-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Did anyone point out to the idiots that the game was in SEATTLE? Did anyone tell them that SEATTLE is a very, very long drive from here and the Red Line does not go that far?

Idiots.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Did anyone point out to the idiots that the game was in SEATTLE? Did anyone tell them that SEATTLE is a very, very long drive from here and the Red Line does not go that far?

Idiots.

Not in Ed Farmer's world! After the 27th out was recorded, Farmer gave the date of the game as April 21, 2012 (correct) and the location as U.S. Cellular Field (nope). I'm not quite sure how in the world Farmer thought the game was in Chicago. Sound the fail horn for him!

DumpJerry
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Not in Ed Farmer's world! After the 27th out was recorded, Farmer gave the date of the game as April 21, 2012 (correct) and the location as U.S. Cellular Field (nope). I'm not quite sure how in the world Farmer thought the game was in Chicago. Sound the fail horn for him!
:farmer
I miss Ozzie.

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Idiots.

Maybe Ed Farmer is a big fan of the model train set at the Museum of Science & Industry. That model mock-up has a train going from Chicago to Seattle.

GoGoCrede
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM

You must be joking. Seriously. :rolling:

1ytCEuuW2_A

vinny
04-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Maybe Ed Farmer is a big fan of the model train set at the Museum of Science & Industry. That model mock-up has a train going from Chicago to Seattle.
Nerd alert! :thumbsup:

BTW I was floored to find out that that layout runs entirely on a mechanical DC block system. They usually run 3 trains on each track and there are 10 blocks on each loop.

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM

BTW I was floored to find out that that layout runs entirely on a mechanical DC block system. They usually run 3 trains on each track and there are 10 blocks on each loop.

When I was little my dad had a model train set (HO) for me in an extra bedroom of his. I think he had as much fun building it as I did playing with it. :tongue:

That layout at the MSI is one of the coolest I have ever seen. Another one that comes to mind is in the basement of Denver's Union Station, and one in a park in San Diego.

DumpJerry
04-24-2012, 11:53 PM

When I was little my dad had a model train set (HO) for me in an extra bedroom of his. I think he had as much fun building it as I did playing with it. :tongue:

That layout at the MSI is one of the coolest I have ever seen. Another one that comes to mind is in the basement of Denver's Union Station, and one in a park in San Diego.
You boys be careful of the Blue Comet.

DSpivack
04-25-2012, 12:27 AM
You boys be careful of the Blue Comet.

Sadly, I've only seen a couple Sopranos episodes.

ChiSoxGirl
04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
You must be joking. Seriously. :rolling:

Nope, I'm serious. I first heard the soundbite Sunday morning on Hit & Run and I couldn't believe it. Since Sunday morning, the soundbite has been edited and the part when Farmer said Humber threw his perfect game was thrown at U.S. Cellular Field has been cut out.

Warriorjan
04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, he did say that but it has been edited out. A friend of mine mentioned it to me when we talked on the phone right after the game. I missed it somehow, as I was too busy jumping around my living room.