PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-22 Sweep M's in Seattle, Sox 7 Mariners 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice to get the sweep

guillensdisciple
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Awesome 9-6 to start. Who woulda thunk?

October26
04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I still think we'll win this game

errr.... but Danks to get some quick outs this inning

Way back on page 7 of today's game thread, you will find kufram's post above, indicating that he believed the Sox would win this game (Sox were losing the game at that time). How awesome is that? Thank you, kufram - you called it! What a fantastic weekend for our Sox in Seattle - Sweet Sweep - Oh yeah!

:sweep :sweep :sweep

LoveYourSuit
The Sox can play the rest of the games on the road for me.

I'm liking this.

soltrain21
If Dunn and Rios (and Peavy) decide to keep this up for the year than we should be in this thing.

BigHurt3515
04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Said this a couple of times in the Game thread but our 4-5-6 hitters are all batting over .330. Wouldn't believe that if I was told it before the season began.

It is fun watching the Sox again! Hopefully they will still be playing well in June when they come to St. Louis!

ChiSoxGal85
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
ok, I'm a realist. The Sox swept the Mariners. Not the Tigers, not the Rangers...BUT they are winning and I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like right now.

Dunn is getting back to normal.
Rios is really picking it up at the plate.
AJ has cooled off some, but still doing ok.
Paulie's being Paulie.
De Aza is pulling his weight and Alexei has had his usual slow start, but I expect him to pick it up.
Beckham is making progress. He doesn't look completely lost any more.
Morel needs to figure it out at the plate, but if the others can take up the slack for a while, I can live with him. Viciedo too.

Peavy, Humber (MR PERFECT) and Sale are shining.
Floyd and Danks have looked shaky but I'm hoping they're just hitting a rough patch.
The bullpen has been better than solid.

I like the aggressiveness of our base coaches a lot.

And I'm really pleased with how the pitchers and catchers are catching runners stealing!

Yes, it's early...but I'm liking this season so far.

Zakath
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Another nice game from Alex Rios, who has tripled his average in the past 10 days (.111 to .333, going 3-4 today with 3 RBI).

Danks struggles but gets the W. Rested bullpen comes in and outside of the Bermuda Triangle hit in the 9th, shuts the Mariners down.

BigHurt3515
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
ok, I'm a realist. The Sox swept the Mariners. Not the Tigers, not the Rangers...BUT they are winning and I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like right now.

Dunn is getting back to normal.
Rios is really picking it up at the plate.
AJ has cooled off some, but still doing ok.
Paulie's being Paulie.
De Aza is pulling his weight and Alexei has had his usual slow start, but I expect him to pick it up.
Beckham is making progress. He doesn't look completely lost any more.
Morel needs to figure it out at the plate, but if the others can take up the slack for a while, I can live with him. Viciedo too.

Peavy, Humber (MR PERFECT) and Sale are shining.
Floyd and Danks have looked shaky but I'm hoping they're just hitting a rough patch.
The bullpen has been better than solid.

I like the aggressiveness of our base coaches a lot.

And I'm really pleased with how the pitchers and catchers are catching runners stealing!

Yes, it's early...but I'm liking this season so far.

I think Viciedo will heat up when Alexei does. Looking forward to watching those two play together this season

JB98
04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
It was a sloppy game, but the Sox outhit their mistakes. I know that sounds like a complaint, but it's really not. Not every game can be as crisp as the first two games of this series were. Sometimes, the offense has to overcome subpar (starting) pitching and defensive gaffes. Today, it did.

Nice job hitters. Nice job bullpen.

LITTLE NELL
04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Finally a sweep, seems like the last few years we won a lot of the first 2 games of a series but could not sweep. This just might be a fun year, Robin has the boys believing in themselves.

soxnut1018
04-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Great ending to a perfect weekend.

Zakath
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Finally a sweep, seems like the last few years we won a lot of the first 2 games of a series but could not sweep. This just might be a fun year, Robin has the boys believing in themselves.

First sweep of a 3-game series since August 26-28 of last year.

Which happened in...

Seattle.

The last time we swept someone in a 3-game series who were not named the Mariners was August 5-7 last year in Minnesota.

Last home sweep of a series 3 games or longer: July 26-29, 2010. Seattle.

BRDSR
04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
They (Hawk?) says every team is going to win 60, lose 60, and the remaining 42 will decide the season.

This game was played like it should have been lost. So now the Sox will win 61, lose 59, and the remaining 42 will decide the season.

Great series.

KMcMahon817
04-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Nice job, boys! Now let's take the series from Oakland. Love watching this team. And Danks, stop being such a wussy and attack the strike zone. Johnny has been my favorite for years, but man hes been frustrating to watch so far this year.

doublem23
04-22-2012, 06:34 PM
It was a sloppy game, but the Sox outhit their mistakes. I know that sounds like a complaint, but it's really not. Not every game can be as crisp as the first two games of this series were. Sometimes, the offense has to overcome subpar (starting) pitching and defensive gaffes. Today, it did.

Nice job hitters. Nice job bullpen.

Exactly, good teams find ways to grind out wins when they don't play their best. Even the worst teams in baseball can win regularly when they play perfect baseball. Bad teams never win bad games.

Alex Rios looks like a guy whose tired of being told he sucks. I'm digging it.

doublem23
04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Great ending to a perfect weekend.

I'm going to have to nominate this for Sig of the Year. :thumbsup:

voodoochile
04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
OH YEAH!

Well so far this season is off to a great start. Everything the Sox need to have happen to have a chance this season is happening.

Dunn is off to a solid start.
Rios is off to a solid start
AJ and Konerko are staying hot
De Aza is proving to be a competent leadoff hitter
The starting pitching has been solid and at times spectacular.
The Bullpen is doing very well.

Here's hoping it continues and we can have a fun summer of baseball.

:soxwin:

:sweep<---------my favorite Sox related tag

:)

:supernana:

LITTLE NELL
04-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Nice job, boys! Now let's take the series from Oakland. Love watching this team. And Danks, stop being such a wussy and attack the strike zone. Johnny has been my favorite for years, but man hes been frustrating to watch so far this year.

He needs to step it up, his ERA is now 5.11
C'mon John, you are suppose to be the ace of the staff.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2012, 07:02 PM
9-6 is the type of start everyone was hoping for. Now they need to keep it going against another garbage team in Oakland.

Pitching has been solid, hitting is coming around (at least some of the guys), and the defense has been solid.

Only thing that concerns me and it's early so I don't know how this is going to play out, is the struggles last homestand. Last year the Sox struggled at home for some bizarre reason.

They simply can't have that happen again.

Lip

Railsplitter
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Brooms are nice

WisSoxFan
04-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Which is more common - the Sox winning on Sunday to sweep a series or a perfect game? :)

chisox77
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
9-6 is the type of start everyone was hoping for. Now they need to keep it going against another garbage team in Oakland.

Pitching has been solid, hitting is coming around (at least some of the guys), and the defense has been solid.

Only thing that concerns me and it's early so I don't know how this is going to play out, is the struggles last homestand. Last year the Sox struggled at home for some bizarre reason.

They simply can't have that happen again.

Lip

Agreed, Lip. But the Wednesday game against the Orioles (I attended this one), showed what the Sox are capable of . . . sparkling 8-1 win featuring three great plays at short by Alexei, strong pitching by Peavy, two homers (AJ and De Aza), and Dunn going with the pitch, sweeping a bases clearing double to left . . . good stuff . . . just need to do it at the Cell more often. This could shape up to a fun season, with a little more something added.

Aesero
04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
The Sox have taken 19 of the last 22 games against the Mariners. Remember that when you think of teams that beat the Sox regularly.

Expected much better out of Danks today, but a win is a win. Another great game by Rios. A hustle double against Ichiro! Let's hope they keep this momentum going into Oakland.

Oh and that last strike on Ichiro was way outside. I guess I can scratch off a bad call from last week and say it's even.

IronFisk
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
All is well...except I'm really regretting buying that Beckham jersey for my son last year.

:(:

hawkjt
04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Great day. Picked up a game on the whole rest of the division and 2.5 on the Tigers for the weekend. Thanks Rangers.

Alex's triple was simply outstanding clutch hitting. He is going up the middle so consistently...good thing. Surprised to hear Melton say that Morel needs to turn on more pitches because they are killing him on that outside corner...wouldn't it be the opposite?

Fukie contributed today...2 rbis...nice.
Lilly snapped outta his funk..all good.
Another TEAM win. Love it. Lets go to Oakland and show TDog what the Sox have this year.

chisoxfanatic
04-22-2012, 08:48 PM
All is well...except I'm really regretting buying that Beckham jersey for my son last year.

:(:
His rookie season seriously seems to have been a mirage.

It's nice that they got a sweep so early in the season.

guillensdisciple
04-22-2012, 08:51 PM
I will say one thing in regards to Viciedo. Depending on how this team does as we go along this year, it might be best to send Viciedo down and let Fukudome play out the year. If the Sox are an actual threat, and play amazing baseball then having an inexperienced rookie struggling will not help. I am not giving up on him by any means. I have high hopes for him, and hope he becomes a masher in the near future. He deserves his shot just like every other rookie deserves one. Currently, he seems to be over swinging, but I am sure that will be corrected with time.

However, what if the Sox do have a great rotation, a great bullpen? What if Dunn and Rios do have a resurgence? What if we are playing for the wild card or for the division come the trade deadline? Do we continue playing Viciedo and Morel even if they're struggling? Or, do we go to players like Fukudome to fill the void?

OmahaSoxFan
04-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Awesome to see the boys get the three-game sweep... even though it was the Mariners - its never easy going on the road and taking a series, let alone sweeping one (with a Perfect Game in the middle to boot from Humber!). I am really liking what I am seeing from the team. Rios and Dunn appear to be getting it together at the plate, and if they keep it up, and Beckham, Viciedo and Morel can start putting together consistent good plate appearances - this team has a chance to roll - as I think the starting pitching and bullpen so far look pretty solid.

It's early, but this could be one of those surprise fun seasons - just have to hope Robin keeps these guys motivated!

HomeFish
04-22-2012, 09:49 PM
We've owned Seattle recently. The 2000 ALDS and the Jon Raunch 4-HR game have been avenged.

slavko
04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Suddenly, a bullpen. First time I've watched Reed and seen him dominate. We could have had Kerry Wood (just went DL) if he hadn't been using us for leverage before he re-signed up north. I'm happy he got his bucks elsewhere. We get some breaks once in a while. Five starters can pitch a little too. Betcha a lemon cookie one of them gets traded by July. (okay, it's Floyd)

Got some breaks from Blue the last couple days. Strike zones like Puget Sound.

Doesn't Robin look smart on the dugout step? Great bullpens make managers look smart. Is he smart? Dunno. Ain't dumb.

Thrilled with Rios's turnaround. Thrilled with everything. Winning some games has that effect.

GlassSox
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Said this a couple of times in the Game thread but our 4-5-6 hitters are all batting over .330. Wouldn't believe that if I was told it before the season began.

It is fun watching the Sox again! Hopefully they will still be playing well in June when they come to St. Louis!

I hope so too, my wife and I are meeting friends there for the June 14th game. Really looking forward to it.

Brian26
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
We've owned Seattle recently. The 2000 ALDS and the Jon Raunch 4-HR game have been avenged.

It is Rauch. To be fair, Jim Parque gave up three of those homers to Cameron.

Brian26
04-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Expected much better out of Danks today, but a win is a win.

It's beyond frustrating to watch the Sox claw back to take the lead and then Danks comes out and walks the leadoff hitter.

Brian26
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
It was a sloppy game, but the Sox outhit their mistakes.

There's a lot of sloppiness, but there are many subtle things they are doing right. I love that the outfielders are throwing the ball to the correct base (ie when a runner is taking third or scoring, the Sox will get it back in to 2nd base to keep the trail runner from scoring position). On the other side, the Sox are taking extra bases all over the place on offense, with lots of first-to-thirds and guys scoring from first on RBI doubles.

TomBradley72
04-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I will say one thing in regards to Viciedo. Depending on how this team does as we go along this year, it might be best to send Viciedo down and let Fukudome play out the year. If the Sox are an actual threat, and play amazing baseball then having an inexperienced rookie struggling will not help. I am not giving up on him by any means. I have high hopes for him, and hope he becomes a masher in the near future. He deserves his shot just like every other rookie deserves one. Currently, he seems to be over swinging, but I am sure that will be corrected with time.

However, what if the Sox do have a great rotation, a great bullpen? What if Dunn and Rios do have a resurgence? What if we are playing for the wild card or for the division come the trade deadline? Do we continue playing Viciedo and Morel even if they're struggling? Or, do we go to players like Fukudome to fill the void?

What had Fukudome done to really earn more playing time?

He's a nice 4th/5th OF- nothing more.

MUsoxfan
04-22-2012, 11:28 PM
If I was a betting man, I would have lost my ass today. I expected the Sox to get slaughtered knowing they most likely partied hard last night.

Zero complaints with the game today

boiker
04-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Is it OK to be cautiously optimistic about this team this year?

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Is it OK to be cautiously optimistic about this team this year?Sure. Emphasis on "cautiously."

TDog
04-23-2012, 03:43 AM
If I was a betting man, I would have lost my ass today. I expected the Sox to get slaughtered knowing they most likely partied hard last night.

Zero complaints with the game today

It wasn't like they clinched the division, and they were coming off a day game. Ventura did go with a Sunday lineup, though.

I was transacting business while the game was going on, but I was very happy to see the White Sox came through with the wind. There might have been some sort of a meltdown if the Sox had lost to another "garbage team."

The Sox, by the way, did take two of three from the Tigers last weekend. It doesn't hurt that the Sox played the Tigers and Mariners and missed Verlander and Hernandez, but neither of them have have pitched a perfect game lately.

Tragg
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM

Fukudome is hitting .181 with an ops of .451.
Viciedo is hitting .186 with an ops of .577.

Moving Viciedo out and putting Fukudome in is an Ozzie-move.
In fact, I'd say that it's Fukudome who should be on a watch list. He's not young, we don't have much invested in him, so there's not much reason for patience. He's our top bench bat and he must produce.

kittle42
04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
It would figure that the first time in his career that Fukudome has a crap April is when he's a member of the White Sox.

TomBradley72
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
It would figure that the first time in his career that Fukudome has a crap April is when he's a member of the White Sox.

He contributed yesterday- he hasn't had much playing time.