PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Santos to DL

TheFrisbee
04-22-2012, 02:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7841577/sergio-santos-put-disabled-list-toronto-blue-jays

SoxSpeed22
04-22-2012, 02:47 PM
That's a shame. Hope he does well in Toronto.

Lamp81
04-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Santos is a great story, and he pitched very good for us.

Molina better turn out good, or I'll want KW's head for this trade!

Santos had a relatively small contract, I didn't see the need to move him, or at least we could have gotten a better return.

TDog
04-23-2012, 02:20 AM

Santos had a relatively small contract, I didn't see the need to move him, or at least we could have gotten a better return.

Before the White Sox traded Santos, he agreed to a contract extension that willl pay him $1 million for 2012, $2.75 million for 2013 and $3.75 million for 2014. From 2015 through 2017, he is under contract for $6 million, $8 million and $8.75 million, although there is a $750,000 team buyout option beginning in 2015. If he doesn't develop into an elite closer, he is likely to be on the free agent market for the 2015 season.

I don't believe he is an elite closer now, or at least when he was White Sox property at the end of last season. He may develop into one, but I don't believe he will be making $6 million in 2015. He has pitched two major league seasons, and in each he hasn't been at all reliable in September.

As I understand it, the Blue Jays don't believe his current injury is serious, but Hector Santiago, making the major league minimum, has had more success closing this year for the White Sox than Santos has for the Blue Jays. But it's still very early.

DumpJerry
04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
First Hudson. Now Santos. Kenny has some powerful peeps out there......

Chez
04-23-2012, 08:49 AM
First Hudson. Now Santos. Kenny has some powerful peeps out there......

And, of course, TCQ has been on the DL since the season started.

Tragg
04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
And, of course, TCQ has been on the DL since the season started.

Of course TCQ had a lot of DL time with us, as has Peavy.

asindc
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM

I say the trade should be judged on how much production the Sox get out of the closer's position during the term of Santos' contract versus what Santos does during that time. My sense is that KW traded Santos because he thought he could get at least the same production from less expensive players. Molina's development would be a bonus, IMO.

Tragg
04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
You simply cannot give players away because you want to shave a few bucks, especially when they have market value. Santos had solid value in the trading market. Yes, Molina needs to produce for this not to be a failed trade, regardless of what Santos does.

After all, the Diamondbacks didn't just give us Jackson when they clearly wanted to dump salary - they twisted us for all they could get and we paid and paid big.
We need to do the same.
Williams just gave Swisher to the Yankees when we tired of him and his fairly modest salary. Of course the 3 players we traded FOR him are all productive major leaguers now, one of whom signed a big contract last off-season.

asindc
04-23-2012, 09:58 AM
You simply cannot give players away because you want to shave a few bucks, especially when they have market value. Santos had solid value in the trading market. Yes, Molina needs to produce for this not to be a failed trade, regardless of what Santos does.

After all, the Diamondbacks didn't just give us Jackson when they clearly wanted to dump salary - they twisted us for all they could get and we paid and paid big.
We need to do the same.
Williams just gave Swisher to the Yankees when we tired of him and his fairly modest salary. Of course the 3 players we traded FOR him are all productive major leaguers now, one of whom signed a big contract last off-season.

So if Santos busts out with Toronto and our closer situation is solidified for the duration of Santos' contract, then you will still consider the trade a failure if Molina does not pan out? Interesting.

johnnyg83
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I say the trade should be judged on how much production the Sox get out of the closer's position during the term of Santos' contract versus what Santos does during that time. My sense is that KW traded Santos because he thought he could get at least the same production from less expensive players. Molina's development would be a bonus, IMO.

Seconded. We have some really nice, young arms in the bullpen. Santos was traded from a position of strength.

#1swisher
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Shoulder inflammation, is that serious?

Get back to being perfect Sergio! :gulp:

Foulke You
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Nestor Molina was a highly regarded starting pitching prospect in the Blue Jays organization and White Sox brass (KW, Hahn, and Cooper) view him as a future front line starter. I would say that is a decent return for a converted infielder with only 75% of a season of closer experience. (Remember, Thornton was our closer during all of April) Santos is young and was solid last year but certainly not great. What do you think market value for Santos should have been? It doesn't seem to me that KW "gave away" Santos.

TDog
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM

I don't believe the White Sox were trying to save money. If that had been the case, they simply would have renewed Santos on their terms and not signed the extension. I believe the White Sox picked up a starting pitching prospect who, as a prospect, was more highly regarded than Hudson was when he was traded, although not as far along in his development.

Tragg
04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
So if Santos busts out with Toronto and our closer situation is solidified for the duration of Santos' contract, then you will still consider the trade a failure if Molina does not pan out? Interesting.
Absolutely.
There's something called opportunity cost.
When we had Santos, he had value. If Molina flushes out, we squandered that value. Now if you trade for prospects, you are going to do some squandering - that's part of the game. But we've done too much squandering the last 4 years.
If we knew that Santos was fools-gold that's OUR competitive advantage, which has a value.
If both flush out, it's what is called a bad trade for both teams: both teams will have squandered players that had value at the time.

doublem23
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Absolutely.
There's something called opportunity cost.
When we had Santos, he had value. If Molina flushes out, we squandered that value. Now if you trade for prospects, you are going to do some squandering - that's part of the game. But we've done too much squandering the last 4 years.
If we knew that Santos was fools-gold that's OUR competitive advantage, which has a value.
If both flush out, it's what is called a bad trade for both teams: both teams will have squandered players that had value at the time.

You have no way of knowing what Santos' perceived value was when he was traded, it's quite possible that Molina was the best offer KW got, and if the Sox knew that Santos was the least stable young arm (and he's not that young) in the Sox bullpen stable, then moving him at his probable peak value for the best offer he got was a good move.

thomas35forever
04-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Can we have one of former pitchers do well this season?