PDA

View Full Version : Perfection: Humber vs. Buehrle

thomas35forever
04-22-2012, 02:13 AM
I must admit that saying "Phil Humber" and "perfect game" in the same sentence is going to take some getting used to. It hasn't even soaked in for me yet. It was much easier to soak in Buehrle's and I can think of a few reasons why.

The first and most obvious one is that Mark was our franchise pitcher for over a decade. Prior to the game against the Rays, he had done a whole lot (19-win season, World Series ring, no-hitter, home run at a game I happened to be at). That perfecto was almost inevitable. With all due respect to Phil, I think people got a little more excited when Mark threw his masterpiece because he was already an established fan favorite and let's face it: we all love it when those types of players do something they're known for or something extraordinary that rewrites the history books.

Phil, on the other hand, is a guy who broke out in Spring Training a year ago and had a decent first year with the team. I know we were expecting him to have at least an average year, which is what you'd expect from your fifth starter. Until today, he hadn't done anything particularly noteworthy that generations will talk about, so this feat really is a pleasant surprise. We don't know what else he'll do in a White Sox uniform from here on out, but hopefully, this won't be the last big thing.

My point here is that a player's history, especially with one team, can have an impact on how fans react to an accomplishment such as this. If you're still confused, I'll go with something simpler. When I was in the seats for last Saturday's game, both Flowers and Konerko hit homers with Flowers' going much further. People had to take a second before cheering Flowers because they couldn't believe a missile just came off his bat. Konerko's home run was just average distance, but the fans knew to cheer right away because that's what he's known to do.

I would love to see Phil establish himself as a star here. He has a long way to go before we retire No. 41 and put his statue on the concourse, but you never know what could happen as he reaches his 30s. My sincere congrats to him and may he be blessed in many ways now and in the future.

MUsoxfan
04-22-2012, 02:28 AM
They're both equally awesome. In some ways Humber's can be more awesome in that it may be among the most unlikely PG's in history

Noneck
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
The big difference beside what was stated is doing it at home as opposed to doing it on the road.

soxfan1965
04-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Mark got a presidential call, did/will Phil get one?

Bob Roarman
04-22-2012, 07:17 AM
They're both equally awesome. In some ways Humber's can be more awesome in that it may be among the most unlikely PG's in history

How so? Buehrle pitches to contact, I think he only had,what, 5 or 6 strike outs in his perfect game? Pretty unlikely given the amount of balls put into play that he'd end up with a perfect game with how he pitches.

I don't really think it makes it "better" than Humber's game, or any other perfect game, just a whole lot more unlikely. Even moreso that he pretty much did it twice, a Sosa walk and subsequent pick off the only blemish.

SephClone89
04-22-2012, 07:26 AM
How so? Buehrle pitches to contact, I think he only had,what, 5 or 6 strike outs in his perfect game? Pretty unlikely given the amount of balls put into play that he'd end up with a perfect game with how he pitches.

Don't forget, the Rays had one of the best lineups in the majors at that time, and Buehrle had a not so great defense behind him. (Quentin, Pods, Dye?) in the OF, and four guys in the infield who bedore the year began had never played their position in the majors--Beckham, TCM, Getz, Fields. Plus the backup catcher, of course.

tacosalbarojas
04-22-2012, 08:03 AM
I think in order to make this argument more fun, Phil needs to just go ahead and win about 200 games for us over the next ten years. Go Phil!!! Go Mark!!!

SCCWS
04-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Let's not forget that Humber was only making his 2nd start of the season. It was impressive he was this good so early especially since he sat out the first rotation. He also had a no hitter going for a while last year during a game.

Zisk77
04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
The real question will be asked on CTL tomorrow by David Kaplan..." what more impressive Humber's perfect game or Kerry Woods 20 K performance"...

Moses_Scurry
04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I completely missed this one in it's entirety.:(: I didn't find out until I checked the box score after dinner last night and the game was over. Reading the game thread and post-game thread is nice, but it is pretty pale in comparison. I also can not watch games after they happen. I just can't do it. I've never watched game 4 of 2005 other than when it was actually happening.

I'll watch highlight shows and clips without a problem, but I just can't keep engaged with a game when I know the outcome already.

gobears1987
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
The real question will be asked on CTL tomorrow by David Kaplan..." what more impressive Humber's perfect game or Kerry Woods 20 K performance"...

You can remove the teal from that one.

thomas35forever
04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Heard on the radio last night that Rahm called him. Barack must have been a little busy, but who knows? Maybe there's one still to come.

samurai_sox
04-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I see no need to compare Humber's perfecto to Buehrle's.

I just happy that Humber did it in a Sox uniform, adding to the franchise's history.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I see no need to compare Humber's perfecto to Buehrle's.

I just happy that Humber did it in a Sox uniform, adding to the franchise's history.

Me too. That ball that Wise caught in the Burls game was hit hard, but so what? Plays like that are part of the game. Both games are magnificent achievements.

TommyJohn
04-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Actually, this one might be more along the lines of "Milt Pappas' final pitch was closer to a strike than Phil Humber's."

palehosepub
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Ilove it.
Unfortunately I dont think you need teal.......

GoGoCrede
04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Both games made me incredibly proud to be a Sox fan. Not that I wasn't already. It's been said many times, but how lucky are we to be able to experience this twice? To have the privilege to be able to compare the two?

October26
04-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Anyone else hear Farmer's story on the pre-game show today of Buehrle texting him yesterday? Farmer said Buehrle texted him to congratulate Humber and the Sox and also told Farmer: "Tell Sox fans to not forget me."

OMG, Mark Buehrle - how could we ever forget you?

Nor will we ever forget Philip Humber and the thrill he gave us by also pitching a Perfect Game. Humber confirmed that Buehrle had texted him yesterday to congratulate him.

Two Sox Perfect Games in less than 3 years? Oh yes! :bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Is champagne, chocolate and great sex an option?

SOXfnNlansing
04-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Like Humber said, "I have 12 wins and one of them was a perfect game". Right now it is like Danny Wright pitching a perfect game a generation ago. I did not see the game, but it is a very exciting event that happened in MLB. When Buehrle pitched his perfect game, I was personally involved with following every pitch via refreshing my cell phone. It was the most exciting thing for me.

Who the hell is Dallas what's his name with Oakland? It will probably be the same as his perfect game. The best part is the White Sox have 2 of the past 3 perfect games! When Buehrle had his, I went out and bought an actual Suntimes paper for a keep sake. Here it is Sunday afternoon and I have no motivation to drive to 7-11 and pick up a $2 Sunday paper.

SteveFakeBlood
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I completely missed this one in it's entirety.:(: I didn't find out until I checked the box score after dinner last night and the game was over. Reading the game thread and post-game thread is nice, but it is pretty pale in comparison. I also can not watch games after they happen. I just can't do it. I've never watched game 4 of 2005 other than when it was actually happening.

I'll watch highlight shows and clips without a problem, but I just can't keep engaged with a game when I know the outcome already.

I missed it too- I was out and ordinarily when I'm out, I'm still constantly refreshing my phone to check the Sox score- this time my phone was running low on battery though and I knew I'd have to call for a ride later. A series of revelations happened: 1) I saw the Sox had shut out at the M's 2) I saw in the boxscore Humber had pitched 9 innings with no hits 3) I saw he had walked no one and 4) I clicked on the recap and saw he'd pitched the 21st perfect game in MLB history.

I actually wish I had been texted or called, though (after the fact, I had a few texts)- even though I couldn't have gotten to a TV to watch it- I would've enjoyed refreshing my phone and knowing that at that moment I was in essence "watching" a perfect game with thousands of other Sox fans.

I sometimes have problems staying engaged with games I know the outcome of, but I made sure to watch this one late on MLB.TV- even though by the time I got to watch it was 1 AM, I had had a few beers and at points had difficulty staying awake (I probably cumulatively watched about 5 or 6 innings of the game), but I was wide awake for the last three innings since I knew what was going to happen.

Anyway, to chime in on the overall theme of the thread- here's a few important things to note when comparing to the two that have nothing to do with Buehrle and Humber's stature as players:

1) When Buehrle pitched his perfect game it was the first by a Sox pitcher in 87 years and the first in all of Major League baseball in 5 years. Humber's was the first by a Sox pitcher in only 3 calendar years and the followed the last MLB perfect game by less than 2 years. All in all, there have been four perfect games in the last four seasons- it would take hours to list off the four year periods in MLB history where there have been no perfect games- but there were no perfect games in entire decades of the 1910's, '30s, '40s or '70s.

2) Being on the road vs. at home does make somewhat of a difference. It's not a stretch to say a number of us either knew someone at Buehrle's perfect game or knew someone who had turned down tickets- I doubt many of us knew anyone who had traveled to Seattle.

That said, I understand the original meaning behind the post. By age 29- Mark had already made three All-star teams, won a World Series and pitched a no-hitter and won 107 games. Phil's pedigree up to this point is obviously not as impressive.

That said, no matter the timing- no matter the pitcher throwing both were amazing achievements. Buehrle pitches to contact and Humber was in baseball purgatory for 6 years with arm injuries and a lack of support from the organizations he played in- anyone throwing a perfect game is impressive and their performances are impressive for different reasons.

~ Steve

fisk4ever
04-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Anyone else hear Farmer's story on the pre-game show today of Buehrle texting him yesterday? Farmer said Buehrle texted him to congratulate Humber and the Sox and also told Farmer: "Tell Sox fans to not forget me."

OMG, Mark Buehrle - how could we ever forget you?

AJ said Buehrle texted him to say, "Your got your perfect game."

doublem23
04-22-2012, 06:38 PM

Buehrle got to talk to the POTUS, which is cool. Humber got a shout out from Kate Upton, which is better. :cool:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/SI-model-Kate-Upton-tweets-to-Phil-Humbe?blockID=694508&feedID=661&awid=6825479197925327893-915

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Buehrle got to talk to the POTUS, which is cool. Humber got a shout out from Kate Upton, which is better. :cool:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/SI-model-Kate-Upton-tweets-to-Phil-Humbe?blockID=694508&feedID=661&awid=6825479197925327893-915

Who is Kate Upton? I'd rather get a call from the POTUS.

BleacherBandit
04-22-2012, 08:05 PM

A 19 year old swimsuit model.

voodoochile
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM

The one in the Hardee's drive-in movie theater commercial eating the jalapeno burger.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
The one in the Hardee's drive-in movie theater commercial eating the jalapeno burger.

Meh. The last film I saw in the theater was in 2009. I also avoid pop culture like The Plague.

Anyway, I hope the most powerful Sox fan in the world calls Humber.

voodoochile
04-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Meh. The last film I saw in the theater was in 2009. I also avoid pop culture like The Plague.

No it's an ad for Hardee's set in a drive in movie theater. She is eating a jalapeno burger very seductively. I figured you may have seen the ad since it's a common one for sporting events recently.

NardiWasHere
04-22-2012, 08:52 PM

No it's an ad for Hardee's set in a drive in movie theater. She is eating a jalapeno burger very seductively. I figured you may have seen the ad since it's a common one for sporting events recently.

I imagine Frater youtube-ing Kate Upton and rushing back to WSI... "I WAS WRONG! I WAS WRONG! KATE UPTON IS MOST DEFINITELY BETTER! I WAS WRONG! I TAKE IT BACK!"

GoGoCrede
04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

I'm very much into pop culture and didn't know who she was either, lol. But I don't think I was the target audience for that Hardee's commercial, anyway. :redneck

soxinem1
04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I think no-hitters/perfect games, and hitting for the cycle deserve a call from the President, regardless of what team she/he may be a fan of.

Just my two cents.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I imagine Frater youtube-ing Kate Upton and rushing back to WSI... "I WAS WRONG! I WAS WRONG! KATE UPTON IS MOST DEFINITELY BETTER! I WAS WRONG! I TAKE IT BACK!"

LOL

Nope. :)

Voodoo, we don't have many Hardee's in this part of Texas, so we don't get many of their commercials. In fact, the last time I remember seeing/hearing a Hardee's commercial was when I lived in Springfield, Illinois. In 1983. I never saw one when I lived in the Chicago area 83-98, nor here in Texas since 99.

slavko
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM

Hasn't this been done before? You know the name of the starl.., I mean personal..., I mean the celeb... You know who.

voodoochile
04-23-2012, 01:30 AM

LOL

Nope. :)

Voodoo, we don't have many Hardee's in this part of Texas, so we don't get many of their commercials. In fact, the last time I remember seeing/hearing a Hardee's commercial was when I lived in Springfield, Illinois. In 1983. I never saw one when I lived in the Chicago area 83-98, nor here in Texas since 99.

LOL I wasn't expecting Frater to change his mind, more so since I know he's a political junkie, I was merely trying to reference who she is and figured most people had seen the ad by now. And, hey, if Kate Upton is the second choice, it's not the worst second choice in the world...

Hasn't this been done before? You know the name of the starl.., I mean personal..., I mean the celeb... You know who.

Yeah, I liked the Padma Laksmi ad too... :tongue:

tstrike2000
04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
I agree with some posts mentioned here. They're both awesome. Buehrle's was awesome not only for "The Catch" but how he worked the ball around the strike zone and working quick, like he usually did. Humber was just awesome in how he was dropping that curve at will and had amazing control. He only got to a three ball count a couple of times. Though an unlikely candidate for a PG, we know Humber can pitch. He was our best pitcher for most of the first-half last year and could supplant Floyd as our #3 starter.

October26
04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
AJ said Buehrle texted him to say, "Your got your perfect game."

Thanks - that is fantastic to read/hear. I love knowing that Buehrle still feels so connected to the Sox. Not surprising since Mark Buehrle made so many friends while he was here and gave Sox fans enough thrills to last a lifetime. Love #56 forever!

I was watching Comcast this morning and they had a quote on there from Buehrle saying something to the effect that his palms were sweating while watching Humber's Perfect Game on Saturday. Buehrle said he was more nervous watching Humber's Perfect Game than he was when he pitched his own. Great stuff.

soxfan1965
04-24-2012, 11:11 AM

I see Humber finally got the presidential call on Monday, plus a mention on Letterman's Top 10, plus a text from Tim Tebow, per the Sun Times.

pythons007
04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Well at least this pairing has merit. When Buehrle threw his perfect game Dumbass Kaplan compared it to Wood's 20K game. Kaplan is a moron, boob, asshat, doucher.

Congrats to Phil Humber on this unbelievable milestone!!!!!

Mendoza Line
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Well at least this pairing has merit. When Buehrle threw his perfect game Dumbass Kaplan compared it to Wood's 20K game. Kaplan is a moron, boob, asshat, doucher.

Congrats to Phil Humber on this unbelievable milestone!!!!!

Well, this didn't take long to go from parody to reality, courtesy of CBS
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/24/why-kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-is-better-than-perfect/

DSpivack
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/24/why-kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-is-better-than-perfect/

And that guy grew up in Beverly?!

asindc
04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
The author seems to be confusing "exciting" with "accomplished."

GoGoCrede
04-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Someone in the comments sums it up nicely: "What a waste of time for everyone involved."

Warriorjan
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
This guy lost me when he used the term "Cubbies". Comparing the three games is really like comparing apples and oranges, and I happen to actually like Kerry Wood, frankly.
I can't believe I'm going to come, albeit in a small way, to Kaplan's defense, but I will relate this: when Mark pitched the perfect game (or maybe it was the no-hitter, honestly can't remember which), he was talking about it on his sports show, to which I had tuned in to see if in fact he would be talking about it. Anyway, a stupid lady calls up complaining that he shouldn't even be discussing the achievement as it was a Sox player, WGN is theCubs station, blah, blah blah, just furious with him, and I will say that he really laid into her for being stupid. He did find that attitude to be unbelievable. So I give him a point for that, rather reluctantly.
Too bad Mark isn't still on the Sox, how awesome would it be to have two pitchers on the staff who had pitched perfectos!

pythons007
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Is there no ethics in writing in Chicago anymore? In my opinion when writers/journalists/bloggers/columnist/etc. compare something so stupid to a perfect game literally right after it happens is a joke. It makes it sounds like throwing a perfect game is easy or meaningless. Saying that the pitcher didn't dominate the team like Wood/Clemens did.

It also irks me that they don't include Clemens in this argument as well. That's the absurd thing. Wood isn't the only one to accomplish a 20k game. Not to mention this happened 15 years ago.

You want to compare a perfect game, go ahead, but compare it to the other 20 perfect games EVER THROWN IN BASEBALL HISTORY!

Compare Woods' "dominance" to Clemens' game or Johnson's 20K game.

Let Humber feel like a god for a week before you start in my opinion disrespecting his pitching performance. 27 up 27 down IS dominance.