PDA

View Full Version : * Official * Road trip starts on the right foot Post-Game Thread

doublem23
04-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Sale wins, Dunn homers, Dunn homers again. Life is good

soxfanreggie
04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Solid outing out of Sale and Adam Dunn...wow!...way to bust out the whuppin' stick there! Dropped some games to the Orioles we need to get back. Taking this series or more from the Mariners would be a great start.

tstrike2000
04-21-2012, 12:03 AM
"In 53 years, parts of 7 decades Stone Pony, the longer I've been in this game, the less I know."

My PTC, Dunn, huge game! Nice battling by Sale to get through some jams and an overall nice win.

guillensdisciple
04-21-2012, 12:04 AM
If the resurgence of
Dunn and rios happens this year, then we might be in for a very interesting baseball season.

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Sale is dominating and he's no where close to the finished product IMO. Scarry.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Nice win...seems to be a repeat of last year where the team plays better on the road.

We'll see if that lasts.

Lip

doublem23
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Sale is dominating and he's no where close to the finished product IMO. Scarry.

Absolutely, although let's hedge this and remember that this is the Mariners, whose offense makes the Sox look like the '27 Yankees, but you can still see how he struggles at various points of the game, still gets a little deep into counts way too often, but his "stuff" is fantastic. Probably the best I've seen from a Sox pitcher since Jose Contreras's insane run from '05-'06. Once he completely puts it together how to pitch in his mind, he's going to be something else.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
See a nice win tonight. Chris Sale will be the best pitcher on this team by next season. In fact, he could be by season's end. Dunn blasting is always good.

LongLiveFisk
04-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I wish we had gotten to see this Adam Dunn last year, but better late than never.

Great win tonight. :gulp:

hawkjt
04-21-2012, 12:25 AM
A few guys that need to relax at the plate seemed to be comfortable tonite...Dunn,Rios,Beckham,Morel...and Alejandro is an ignitor.

Solid start to the road trip. Now, again,please!

SoxSpeed22
04-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I like the whole concept of hitting the other way and line drives. Sale wasn't great but battled the whole way. Crain looked excellent and Santiago rebounded nicely. I also like seeing Beckham cut down on his step in. If Dunn is hitting the ball out of the park and Rios is using all sides of the field, we could be in for something.

Aesero
04-21-2012, 01:19 AM
I told my friend (Mariners fan) that Sale would go 7 innings with 10 Ks. I hope he can keep this up all season. His motion scares me every time he throws.

Way to go Dunn! Big game for him. Keep on moving up Big Donkey.

SteveFakeBlood
04-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Yes, we were playing the M's and their anemic offense- but a White Sox starting pitcher racking up double digit strikeout totals against anyone is worth a celebration :bandance: :gulp:, etc. I think the gaudy strikeout totals may obscure the fact that he was in several jams and wasn't exactly dominant- but the fact that he's able to work his way out of them is probably more important for a young pitcher- learning how to pitch under pressure/face adversity and all that. We could be in for a breakout John Danks circa 2008 season from him (Danks was 23 that year, just as Sale is now). Bullpen looked good other than Casper Wells absolutely destroying that one Santiago pitch (I was amazed it stayed in the park).

On the offensive side, we also weren't exactly facing stellar pitching- but Dunn's first multi-homer game for us in a pitcher's park is definitely a plus. As others pointed out, it's not lost on me that our three biggest question marks: Dunn, Rios and Beckham looked good tonight. Rios actually is very quietly hitting well- his power numbers are weak, but he's batting .289.

Great start to a road trip and lifted my spirits after that very disheartening series vs. the Orioles (with the exception of Wednesday's game, obviously).

~ Steve

Zakath
04-21-2012, 01:42 AM
The Sox follow the season high for K's on Thursday with the season low on Friday, only striking out 4 times (Dunn, Ramirez 2, Viciedo).

Hawk's right. The more you think you know about this game, the less you actually do.

Dunn now up to .265, going 6-10 over the last three games. Rios's hitting streak now stands at 8 games, and his average has climbed from .111 to .289.

AJ and Paulie were a combined 0-7 and we still won.

If this team can get contributions from different guys and put up big crooked numbers when needed, they can compete with Detroit. The day off looked like it helped Morel and Beckham, so it's not going to hurt Robin to juggle the lineup a bit.

Foulke You
04-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Absolutely, although let's hedge this and remember that this is the Mariners, whose offense makes the Sox look like the '27 Yankees, but you can still see how he struggles at various points of the game, still gets a little deep into counts way too often, but his "stuff" is fantastic. Probably the best I've seen from a Sox pitcher since Jose Contreras's insane run from '05-'06. Once he completely puts it together how to pitch in his mind, he's going to be something else.

Sale reminds me of the way Danks was back in 2007. He tends to not trust his fastball at times and pitches backwards. I think Sale's stuff is too good for that. He threw too many first pitch sliders and changeups while pitching with the lead which caused him to fall behind some batters. He is still learning on the job but overall I have been pleased with what we've gotten out of him.

Speaking of learning on the job, Santiago rebounded well today. Lots of screwballs today to keep the hitters off balance. Too many fastballs against Baltimore. Santiago is a pitcher that probably needs to work backwards to be really effective.

LITTLE NELL
04-21-2012, 05:55 AM
ESPN boxscore says that PK left the game in the 8th inning with a foot injury, nothing in the Times or Trib, whats going on?

kufram
04-21-2012, 07:42 AM
A good win because on a night when PK and AJ don't hit then other people stepped up. That is what a good team does. I hope this becomes a trend. Of course if everyone wants to hit on the same night that would be ok too.

I didn't see the game because of the time difference but I'm pleasantly surprised to see I can watch the game tonight. Another win please.

anewman35
04-21-2012, 08:11 AM
ESPN boxscore says that PK left the game in the 8th inning with a foot injury, nothing in the Times or Trib, whats going on?

He fouled a ball off his back foot. It didn't seem all that serious at the time, and he stayed in for the rest of the at-bat. In fact, I don't recall him leaving at all, and neither ESPN or Yahoo show anybody else playing first base in their box scores, so I think that note is just wrong.

Jurr
04-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Interesting note about Dunn. Manto has been working with him, using a medicine ball between his knees to keep him from lunging, which forces him to get more of a centered hip turn.

It's much the same method my golf instructor used on me to keep my knee from caving in. I think it's funny how mechanics of a swing can leave men who have been playing a sport at a pro level for years. Dunn has been swinging a bat his entire life, yet he's getting results from a drill used on amateur golfers!

TaylorStSox
04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
I think Sale might be tipping his FB, the Mariners were on top of it more than you'd think. If he can build his arm strength up and raise the velocity a couple MPH, he'll be scary good.

The whole team seemed to be going the other way. You gotta love that. Dunn's even going the other way. It looks like that's helping his timing. The sacrifice Rios hit was a bomb too. I thought it was gone when it left the bat. Fire somebody! :redneck

TaylorStSox
04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Fouled a ball off his foot. It looked painful, but not serious.

October26
04-21-2012, 08:33 AM
A good win because on a night when PK and AJ don't hit then other people stepped up. That is what a good team does. I hope this becomes a trend. Of course if everyone wants to hit on the same night that would be ok too.

I didn't see the game because of the time difference but I'm pleasantly surprised to see I can watch the game tonight. Another win please.

YES! I appreciated the Sox scoring lots of runs early in this game so that I could go to sleep feeling confident about the Sox chances for a win. Great to see the highlights on MLB Network this am and find out that Adam Dunn had homered twice. :bandance: :bandance:

I was very happy to hear about another nice pitching performance by Sale and the Sox bullpen last night. I am also looking forward's to today's game and if I get all of my errands done, I might be able to jump in the gamethread. Go Sox!

doublem23
04-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Fouled a ball off his foot. It looked painful, but not serious.

Yeah, he took the ball right off the ankle of his unprotected back foot, took a tumble and probably needed about a minute to shake it off and get back in the batter's box. Looked a little gimpy running to 1st as he ended up grounding out on that play.

That being said, I thought he stayed in the game and closed it out.

DSpivack
04-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Yeah, he took the ball right off the ankle of his unprotected back foot, took a tumble and probably needed about a minute to shake it off and get back in the batter's box. Looked a little gimpy running to 1st as he ended up grounding out on that play.

That being said, I thought he stayed in the game and closed it out.

He did. ESPN was wrong.

TomBradley72
04-21-2012, 11:01 AM
It was a small play- but Viciedo did a very nice job on the ball down the left field line- cutting it off and very quickly planting and throwing to 2nd base and holding Ichiro to a single- he seems to be quickly adjusting to left field.

Hawk and Stone were talking about how improved the Sox were in hitting cutoff men, etc.

Only 2 weeks into the season- but this team is hitting the cutoff man, getting bunts down, going the other way, nailing attempted base stealers, working pitch counts- it's a pretty dramatic turnaround with basically the same players.

DickAllen72
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
If the resurgence of
Dunn and rios happens this year, then we might be in for a very interesting baseball season.
I'm glad Walker is finally gone.

BigKlu59
04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
It was a small play- but Viciedo did a very nice job on the ball down the left field line- cutting it off and very quickly planting and throwing to 2nd base and holding Ichiro to a single- he seems to be quickly adjusting to left field.

Hawk and Stone were talking about how improved the Sox were in hitting cutoff men, etc.

Only 2 weeks into the season- but this team is hitting the cutoff man, getting bunts down, going the other way, nailing attempted base stealers, working pitch counts- it's a pretty dramatic turnaround with basically the same players.

That was a very pleasent game to watch. You are correct. It shows that when the little things are fundamentally sound, a solid W goes in the column. I think Robin has these guys concentrating on coming to the ball park and just going out there and enjoying the competition. Do your job to the best of your ability, and cut down on the mental mistakes. Funny how when there is competence and confidence in leadership the team follows in step..

BK59

shingo10
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Hawk also made a remark about how it was so refreshing for there to be discussion about baseball on the flight to Seattle and Stone chimed in with "that's for sure."

Everyone seems to be in the right place mentally so far. Great stuff.

ChiSoxGal85
04-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I liked that job by Viciedo a lot. He really hustled down there and the throw was pretty good too.

This was a fun game to watch. I'm really liking how this team plays under Robin. And Dunn is looking very comfortable up there. Hang on to your hats, we could be in for a ride. :bandance: