PDA

View Full Version : Mantos not concerned about strikeouts

#1swisher
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Manto explains, they are striking out aggressively. Getting two strikes in the proper way, not sloppy, at all. Not swinging at bad pitches, and we are taking deep counts.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120419&content_id=29056916&notebook_id=29105540&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

DumpJerry
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
He doesn't have to be concerned about the strikeouts.

He knows there are plenty of people at WSI who will do that for him.

kittle42
04-20-2012, 12:39 PM
It's Manto.

gobears1987
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe it wasn't all Walker's fault.

I'm not saying Walker was good, but the way people at WSI thought he was screwing up swings was ridiculous.

TomParrish79
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.midnightonly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/manos-1.jpg

kittle42
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM

A winner is you.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I've got that MST3K episode on DVD. Classic.

tacosalbarojas
04-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Awesome. First thing I thought when reading thread title was 'sure am glad Jose isn't worried about our strikeouts'.

tacosalbarojas
04-20-2012, 01:38 PM
PS - it's also Sale, not Sales (looking straight at you fools on the CSN postgame).

doublem23
04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe it wasn't all Walker's fault.

I'm not saying Walker was good, but the way people at WSI thought he was screwing up swings was ridiculous.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that he was actively screwing up guys' swings or whatever, people just thought he wasn't getting through to a lot of our hitters and after several years of below average offense, it was time to try something new.

I love this "I guess Walker was awesome, after all!" crap, too. Of the last 1,470 games the Sox have played, Greg Walker was the hitting coach for 1,458 of them (that is north of 99%). Perhaps we can give Manto a fraction of the time Walker got to turn this around before we start making insane, sweeping comments?

Foulke You
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't recall anyone ever saying that he was actively screwing up guys' swings or whatever, people just thought he wasn't getting through to a lot of our hitters and after several years of below average offense, it was time to try something new.

I love this "I guess Walker was awesome, after all!" crap, too. Of the last 1,470 games the Sox have played, Greg Walker was the hitting coach for 1,458 of them (that is north of 99%). Perhaps we can give Manto a fraction of the time Walker got to turn this around before we start making insane, sweeping comments?
Excellent post. The "Walker wasn't really the problem after all" posts are indeed starting to get very irritating. Perhaps people should wait longer than 12 games before declaring Manto to be the same hitting coach as Walker.

Foulke You
04-20-2012, 03:11 PM
"Joel, is this a snuff film?"

DSpivack
04-20-2012, 03:31 PM

I wish this caught on as a nickname for Jose Valentin.

Foulke You
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I wish this caught on as a nickname for Jose Valentin.
It was a WSI only nickname. I have fond memories of this tag:
:mkillcub

WhiteSox5187
04-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Here are my own two cents about Walker, he may not have been THE problem and he may not have even been part of the problem but he was certainly not part of the solution either. If Atlanta starts tearing the cover off the ball and continues to do so for the next five years or however long Walker is there then it would seem to suggest that he is a decent hitting coach. But the results of his tenure from the White Sox make it clear that he was not getting through to our guys.

guillensdisciple
04-20-2012, 04:17 PM

We're irrational. The same irrationality that made us hate walker is the same rationality that will make us hate this guy too.

Hitmen77
04-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Here are my own two cents about Walker, he may not have been THE problem and he may not have even been part of the problem but he was certainly not part of the solution either. If Atlanta starts tearing the cover off the ball and continues to do so for the next five years or however long Walker is there then it would seem to suggest that he is a decent hitting coach. But the results of his tenure from the White Sox make it clear that he was not getting through to our guys.

Two excellent posts. This is pretty much how I feel about the Walker situation.

tstrike2000
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
It's Manto.

I like Mentos so far. He seems like he's really working well with the guys, and their breaths are minty fresh.

Boondock Saint
04-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I like Mentos so far. He seems like he's really working well with the guys, and their breaths are minty fresh.

I suggest we refer to Manto from now on as The Freshmaker. I know I will.

GoGoCrede
04-21-2012, 03:45 PM

I thought it DID say Mentos at first and wondered what delicious mints had to do with the Sox. Oooh, that could be their new endorsement. Someone call Brooks.

tstrike2000
04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I suggest we refer to Manto from now on as The Freshmaker. I know I will.

I thought it DID say Mentos at first and wondered what delicious mints had to do with the Sox. Oooh, that could be their new endorsement. Someone call Brooks.

I like the idea. It also kind of goes along with a fresh new coaching staff aside from Coop.