PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That's How You Play the Orioles Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Alexei's been flashing some leather this year.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Peavy again pitching a great game.

Keep it going, party animal.

Zakath
04-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Great performance by Jake. Beckham collects a couple of hits, Dunn draws 3 walks and busts the game open with a 3-run, 2-out double off a lefty no less, and AJ's showing no sign of cooling off.

Only downer: Morel continues to struggle mightily.

LoveYourSuit
Alexei should have the early lead for GG. Solid game by the Sox.

ElevenUp
Good pitching, hitting and defense. That will win a lot of games. Jake with a great start to the year.

tstrike2000
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Peavy was awesome tonight which bodes well for the pitching staff. Me likey Nate Jones, he's got some wicked stuff.

F4L
04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
If Robin doesn't sit Morel for tomorrow's game then I'm not watching the game. I seriously can't sit there and watch him ATTEMPT to hit anymore, its too much for me to swallow.

Anyways, Peavy looks fantastic. Let's hope he can stay healthy, nobody ever doubted his stuff, the health was always the concern. Gordon raised the BA about 50 points tonight, nice to see.

And what more can be said about AJ? Unbelievable hot streak he's on right now, if he stays consistent like this all year, one has to consider locking him up for 2 more years.

Aesero
04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Peavy looking dominant!

Good way to wash out that bad taste from the last two games.

kittle42
04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Nice game.

If Morel and Beckham play, they must hit 8 and 9 - in any order.

JB98
04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Big opposite field hit by Dunn off a left-handed pitcher. That one pretty much sealed the outcome.

ZombieRob
04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I like watching this team so much more than last years team. I like mixtures of young and older guys. Even if we don't win I think this will be fun team to watch.

Johnny Mostil
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I like watching this team so much more than last years team. I like mixtures of young and older guys. Even if we don't win I think this will be fun team to watch.

I doubt it. Last year's team was unwatchable all too often.

kevingrt
04-18-2012, 10:05 PM

You'd be in the majority. Watching De Aza play(minus two ugly OF plays this year), PK mash the ball, Rios look competent at the plate, Alexei be a GG SS, and the pitching is getting me very excited to see every game. This is fun stuff. I am APPRECIATING the game.

ChiSoxGal85
04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
AJ is on fire! Not only hitting, but throwing out runners?! Awesome stuff.

Peavy pitched a great game; great control. Alexei had three outstanding plays (and one stinker, but I'll overlook that). Beckham made some contact and got a couple hits. Great Dunn double to oppo field that scored 3. Morel...well...he needs a day or two off. As right as everything is going for AJ, it's all going wrong for Morel.

guillensdisciple
04-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Good game for the sox today. Love how peavy is pitching to start the season. Hopefully Adam can do work

TomBradley72
04-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Very impressive win- wth a number of players with highlights-

3 HRs from De Aza- it's great to see De Aza driving the ball- if he keeps this up- it would be the most power I can ever remember from the lead off spot
GREAT bat control by Dunn on the double to left- I think that is a very promising sign from him- he could have a huge year this year with that type of approach- NEVER saw it in 2011.
What is with AJ cutting down these runners trying to steal 2nd? Best he's ever looked since joining the Sox- is this the impact of new coaching?
Beckham's 2 hits- for a young kid like him- that could lift some pressure and make a huge difference. We have a young, hard working, GG level 2nd baseman- if he can finally break through with the bat- that's a really big deal and allows Robin to be patient with Morel.
Keep this up- and Alexei is an All Star and the GG winner.
Another great start by Peavy- he could be settling in as our #1

WhiteSox5187
04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Peavy looked great, AJ continues his hot pace at the plate and threw out TWO runners, Dunn went the other way and even Beckham got a couple of hits. Pretty good game.

vinny
04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Way to snap that slump, Sox! Tie the series tomorrow. Glad to see Beckham make some progress, and Jake sounded good. Three good outings straight, I like.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM

I'm with you. There is just a different feel, even when they don't win. I suspect the clubhouse is a very different place this year. :smile:

I've always love watching Alexei field and he seems to have (mostly) gotten past the "head up his ass" errors.

And AJ?:bandance:

TomBradley72
04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I doubt it. Last year's team was unwatchable all too often.

I've been disappointed or frustrated by other Sox teams- but the only White Sox team I just disliked and got no enjoyment from watching was the 2011 White Sox.

We're 2 weeks into the season- and this already a 100X more interesting than I thought this team/season would be- it's great to look forward to my team's games again- even after 2 frustrating losses before tonight- I still like their "fight" and with Ventura managing them- I like the direction.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Woo Hoo! Way to finally beat a crappy team and a crappy pitcher at home!

Back over .500.

Peavy looks great, he keeps pitching like this, Kenny might be able to get something for him at the break should he choose to deal.

10 of the 14 home runs the Sox have hit this year have been solo shots by my count (that's not good.)

Dunn finally gets a hit off a left hander...will wonders never cease.

Let's try for the split tomorrow. 7-5 wouldn't be bad at all. (although 8-4 would have been better...)

Lip

PalehosePlanet
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Nice way to end a losing streak. Jake was great, and AJ? Wow, who'd have thought that he'd be off to a career year type of start.

As far as Morel goes, he needs to be sent down to AAA for a few weeks. Not only is he a strikeout machine but his D has been shaky too. That boot in the 5th could have opened the flood gates. Either that, or sit him for a few games.

Zakath
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
As far as Morel goes, he needs to be sent down to AAA for a few weeks. Not only is he a strikeout machine but his D has been shaky too. That boot in the 5th could have opened the flood gates. Either that, or sit him for a few games.

4-39 with 17 K's, and very few of those strikeouts were ones where he fouled off a number of pitches. He's gone down looking a ton, as they've been painting the outside corner on him all season.

Giving him some time off might help him, because he has some talent (he's not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination) and you don't want to get to the point where the fans REALLY start to turn on him, which would totally destroy him. Keeping him in the 2 hole is just asking for more trouble, where that position has to produce.

I've mentioned it a number of times, but he's trying to swing arms only.

palehozenychicty
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
A good rebound today. It's also nice to see Beckham get a couple knocks.

GoGoCrede
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
What a fun game to be at! I'm proud of Peavy. It was a great view from behind home plate. And the weather was absolutely amazing. Even the rain didn't ruin the weather. Sometimes I like it better when I attend a game the day after a loss, it means they're itching for a win.

It's painful watching Morel. Glad Beckham did better.

Again, proud of you, Peavy! :gulp:

Hendu
04-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Dunn with an opposite field double against a lefty? I was cursing myself for watching the previous 2 crap-fests in their entirety, but glad I stuck with them one more night. Nice game from Jake (2 in a row now)! He can go out all he wants in Wrigleyville if he keeps this up.

SoxSpeed22
04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Everybody seems a lot looser this year, which I like. Jake is just doing his job and Adam has discovered left field. We will have to see if these supposed adjustments from Beckham will lead to some more hits.

hawkjt
04-19-2012, 01:17 AM
I liked Gordo's body language at the plate tonite,especially on his first,breakthru hit....he seemed very aggressive and confident for some reason...maybe this will relax him and get him on a roll.

Morel is the oppo...zero confidence at the plate right now. I think he should get a nite or two off, and then hit lower in the order..take the pressure off. Maybe on the west coast he can relax.

Jake is pitching like he is completely healthy and in command. Nice to see.
Fingers crossed on his health,but right now he does look like our stopper.

Alex is quietly getting up to a respectable BA....270 something...it is a start.
DeAza continues to square up balls for homers and triples..a rare combo in a Sox uni in recent years.
What to say about AJ? Nothing...don't change a thing!
Now,go out and get a split tomorrow,and head out to warmer climes to get our offense cooking,hopefully in Seattle and Oakland.

kufram
04-19-2012, 04:11 AM
The most convincing win so far and only 2 pages in the post game thread. I haven't seen the game as it's the wrong time of day (night) for me, but very pleased to see a real solid win. We seem to have pitching... and defense.

What a start by AJ. Is it a contract year for him? I guess they all are contract years for him now. Hopefully when AJ cools off, as he is bound to, one of the others (come on Morel, you can do it) will step up.

AJ hasn't suddenly grown a new arm so I have to conclude that the pitchers are the difference and the reason why runners are being thrown out. AJ has surely caught enough criticism and blame here for failing at throwing out runners. What changed...? Not the pitching coach. Did Robin make it a priority?

I think Robin is wise to stick with the order thus far. If you get 7 out of 9 going, which I don't think is impossible, then you can adjust. I don't understand the demand to move a guy like AJ when he is doing so well. Stick with what IS working.

I get to watch live tonight. Give me a win guys.

cards press box
04-19-2012, 04:37 AM
A good win, for sure, but I really don't know who should bat 2nd for the Sox right now. In any event,

:winner

kufram
04-19-2012, 04:46 AM
PK and Robin put it better than I can.

“Robin knows the game and has a plan in place,’’ Konerko said. “There are guys who are going to play. Just because guys aren’t getting the job done, you’re still learning and getting better.’’

“I have that patience, and sometimes players don’t want to have that patience because they want it to happen right away,’’ Ventura said. “I understand that. For me, it’s what they bring every day as far as the attitude, playing hard and all those things. Don’t let that affect everything else. They still consistently come every day and have that drive to turn it around. For me, that’s the thing I see. It’s going to turn around for them.’’

October26
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
PK and Robin put it better than I can.

“Robin knows the game and has a plan in place,’’ Konerko said. “There are guys who are going to play. Just because guys aren’t getting the job done, you’re still learning and getting better.’’

“I have that patience, and sometimes players don’t want to have that patience because they want it to happen right away,’’ Ventura said. “I understand that. For me, it’s what they bring every day as far as the attitude, playing hard and all those things. Don’t let that affect everything else. They still consistently come every day and have that drive to turn it around. For me, that’s the thing I see. It’s going to turn around for them.’’

Great quotes - thanks for sharing!

I also liked the positive quote I read from John Danks prior to the game last night; I'll see if I can go online today and find it. Yesterday marked two special anniversaries in White Sox history (Opening Game at Comiskey Park II in 1991; Buehrle No-Hitter in 2007). I was thinking about those two special days as I tuned in to watch the game last night.

What a fun game! I was jumping up and down and clapping in front of my HDTV when I saw 2/3 of the 3 amigos (Beckham and Dunn) get hits. Honestly, when I saw that Beckham's average had dipped to .089 during his first at bat, I wanted to cry. Beckham did get 2 hits last night and that will help raise his batting average. As others have previously stated, Morel looks lost at the plate. Sigh. AJ's homer onto the foul pole seemed to wake up the Sox offense and Amazing Alexei continues to impress with his stellar defense. Peavy pitched another great game. :D:

Hopefully, the Sox can get the game in today as the forecast calls for rain all day here in Chicago.

Tragg
04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
How does Fukudome look at the plate?
He's not young, he doesn't have a big contract, and our bench bat (and he's all we got) has to produce.

doublem23
04-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Another strong outing for Jake. Perhaps he needs to be out drinkin' and grabbing ass on Clark Street every weekend. :wink:

shingo10
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
De Aza reminds me of The Rock (Tim Raines not Dwayne Johnson) for some reason. Maybe its his number.

The Morel situation is puzzling as he started the spring on fire and now looks like he is new to the game. Hopefully things turn around for him soon. He needs to take a cue from Beckham and at least provide solid D for us.

Also, I'd love for the Sox to get a good "mop-up" guy in the pen so they don't have to use guys like Reed and Jones in blow out games.

DonnieDarko
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Also, I'd love for the Sox to get a good "mop-up" guy in the pen so they don't have to use guys like Reed and Jones in blow out games.

I think that's what Stewart should be made to do...even if he sucks.

soxinem1
04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Big opposite field hit by Dunn off a left-handed pitcher. That one pretty much sealed the outcome.

Might that be his first RBI extra-base hit off a LHP in a White Sox uniform? :scratch:

If not, it sure seems like it.

kittle42
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Would have been Stewart had he not gotten blown up the night before.

slavko
04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
De Aza reminds me of The Rock (Tim Raines not Dwayne Johnson) for some reason. Maybe its his number.

The Morel situation is puzzling as he started the spring on fire and now looks like he is new to the game. Hopefully things turn around for him soon. He needs to take a cue from Beckham and at least provide solid D for us.

I think Raines was "Rock." May have referred to something he carried in his back pocket.

hawkjt
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
So far,weather looks ok...hold off,rain! A win today and it is a 4-3 first homestand...not great,but acceptable..and almost as important,decent weather. Then they head to the west coast to warmer climes,so maybe they can avoid the total deep chill on the bats and in temps this April.

Today Ozzie is going with Lilly at third and hitting 2nd,with Escobar at second for Gordo. AJ is also sitting with Tyler Flowers catching Gavin. Dunn is at first with PK DHing.

Go get this one,Sox!

slavko
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Might that be his first RBI extra-base hit off a LHP in a White Sox uniform? :scratch:

He saw the pitch well and went with it. I was staring at the TV, mouth wide open. I'm happy I wasn't hallucinating.

guillensdisciple
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
So far,weather looks ok...hold off,rain! A win today and it is a 4-3 first homestand...not great,but acceptable..and almost as important,decent weather. Then they head to the west coast to warmer climes,so maybe they can avoid the total deep chill on the bats and in temps this April.

Today Ozzie is going with Lilly at third and hitting 2nd,with Escobar at second for Gordo. AJ is also sitting with Tyler Flowers catching Gavin. Dunn is at first with PK DHing.

Go get this one,Sox!

When you say Ozzie you mean Ventura right?

tstrike2000
04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AJ is on fire! Not only hitting, but throwing out runners?! Awesome stuff.

Peavy pitched a great game; great control. Alexei had three outstanding plays (and one stinker, but I'll overlook that). Beckham made some contact and got a couple hits. Great Dunn double to oppo field that scored 3. Morel...well...he needs a day or two off. As right as everything is going for AJ, it's all going wrong for Morel.

He became friends with Ryan Braun in the offseason.

tstrike2000
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM

I was curious of that myself. Looking at 2011, Dunn had exactly one extra-base hit (a double) off lefties with 3 RBI's while going 6-for-94 on the season which is .064.

So he's already matched his 2011 extra-base hit/RBI output against lefties after last night's game.

#1swisher
04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Ventura and Manto: The goal of having Beckham getting his foot down early is to improve his pitch recognition.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Manto-Ventura-discuss-Beckhams-approach?blockID=692602&feedID=661&awid=5425899796293085021-914

SoxSpeed22
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Ventura and Manto: The goal of having Beckham getting his foot down early is to improve his pitch recognition.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Manto-Ventura-discuss-Beckhams-approach?blockID=692602&feedID=661&awid=5425899796293085021-914One thing at a time, but that's a nice start.