PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years Ago Today: Buehrle's No-Hitter

samurai_sox
04-18-2012, 05:20 PM
One Sox game I'll never forget.

e95xzTSuPOo&

DSpivack
04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I remember hearing a voice mail from a friend as I was leaving work--I was working in a restaurant at the time.

Hard to believe that was 5 years ago.

DumpJerry
04-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Very exciting night. I wonder if he'll repeat it tonight?

It was the third of four no-hitters I've attended (April 16, 1972 Burt Hooton; July 1, 1990 Andy Hawkins; Burls part I; May 3, 2011 Liriano :angry:). I don't care what MLB says, Hawkins threw a no-hitter.

WhiteSox5187
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
I remember that night, I thought it would build some momentum and get the Sox rolling. I was wrong. It still sucks seeing him in a Marlins uniform. I think it will for the rest of his contract.

roylestillman
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM

It was the third of four no-hitters I've attended (April 16, 1972 Burt Hooton; July 1, 1990 Andy Hawkins; Burls part I; May 3, 2011 Liriano :angry:). I don't care what MLB says, Hawkins threw a no-hitter.

Agreed, the Hawkins game on the 80th birthday of old Comiskey was one of five been in attendance for, along with both of Buehrle's, Liriano's and Jack Morris's also in the old ballpark.

#1swisher
04-18-2012, 06:28 PM
I was there! :cool: :gulp:

SBSoxFan
04-18-2012, 06:35 PM

Buehrle throwing a no-hitter against the Cubs would be great. Alas, it's not going to happen, at least not tonight anyhow.

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I was there. It was a gorgeous night.

Wedema
04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I was there. It was a gorgeous night.

It was a real cold night. In fact, my brother backed out at the last minute due to the cold and I ended up taking a guy from work. My brother regretted that decision for a long time!

Crooked Number
04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I was there sec 149 row 23 - except we ended up watching the entire game from the fan deck center field. Had a fabulous vantage point of Mark - his stuff was absolutely electric. I remember the highlight of the game was when the walk to Sosa broke up the perfect game - a lot of cubbie fans started chirping in their Sosa cubs jersey t shirts - then to all our delight, Mark picks him off. God that was great. Freezing cold, but great. I remember it dipping to 39 at one point.

Brian26
04-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I was there that night with Salty99. Great game. I've been lucky to see both of Buehrle's no-hitters in person.

One thing that may be forgotten over the years is that Buehrle was in the final year of his contract. At the time, it felt like he was destined to be gone, as the Sox and he weren't negotiating, and there was even some speculation he would have been traded at the deadline if a deal couldn't get done. So, in a way, that first no-hitter almost felt like a final great moment/hoorah in his last year. The one that sticks with me is after the initial celebration, Buehrle went over to the first base side and tipped his cap to the crowd, and then he came over to third base and did the same thing on that side. I'm glad he stuck around for another four years.

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I was there sec 149 row 23 - except we ended up watching the entire game from the fan deck center field. Had a fabulous vantage point of Mark - his stuff was absolutely electric. I remember the highlight of the game was when the walk to Sosa broke up the perfect game - a lot of cubbie fans started chirping in their Sosa cubs jersey t shirts - then to all our delight, Mark picks him off. God that was great. Freezing cold, but great. I remember it dipping to 39 at one point.
I too had a ticket in 149 (row 10) and spent the entire game on the fan deck!

I didn't think it was freezing out...I was comfy in my Sox hoodie!

voodoochile
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
If you want to relive it WSI style...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86549

voodoochile
04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
And here's the post game thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86556

thomas35forever
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Have to admit this one kind of lost its luster with the perfect game two years later, but this is still memorable. I remember I missed Lost that night to see the end of it. Glad I didn't have to work at Jewel that night either.

Hendu
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I was there! :cool: :gulp:

So was I with Mrs. Hendu, in the upper deck. I was shaking going into the 8th. Everyone was eerily silent...amazing experience. Wish I could have been there for the perfecto too.

HomeFish
04-19-2012, 02:22 AM
I turned down tickets to this game. A few months later, I would turn down tickets to Clay Buchholtz's no-hitter too.

Thankfully Buehrle gave me another chance 2 years later. That time I didn't turn down the tickets.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-19-2012, 03:51 AM
I was at Northern Illinois University at the time, in my final semester in Douglas Hall. I was typing a paper, when I got a call from my dad.

"Did you watch the Sox game?"

"No, why?"

"Buehrle pitched a no-hitter."

I was stunned. I immediately looked on ESPN, and sure enough, there was Buehrle on the front page. I kicked myself for not watching it.

Both the no-hitter and perfect game I had no idea happened until after each game.

SteveFakeBlood
04-20-2012, 12:48 AM
I was at this one as well. It was pretty cold- and a quick search of old box scores on Baseball-reference.com validates that- start time temperature was 40 degrees, meaning by the end it had dipped into the 30s. Not freakishly cold for an April day in Chicago- but uncomfortable in the upper deck at the Cell (I was on the 3rd base side upper deck, between home plate and third).

I remember lots of boos when Sosa walked and roars when he got picked off (luckily there weren't any Cubs fans in our vicinity) and Jerry Hairston getting tossed. I remember asking my friend Tom "Have you ever seen a game like this?" and reprimanding the middle school/high school aged kids around us for talking about the no-hitter in the 4th or 5th inning. And of course, I remember just maniacally jumping and down, screaming and losing my voice- and hoarsely calling my dad and several of my friends after the game ended and the scoreboard exploded like crazy. (Funny story: My dad, being an eternal pessimist, heard on the radio about a no-hitter being thrown, but wasn't paying close attention and figured it was being thrown against the Sox, so he didn't watch the game). I'm not sure if it still holds up, but I know at the time, according to Stats Inc., it was the only game in major league history to feature a multi-homer performance (Thome), a grand slam (Dye) and a no-hitter. I lost my ticket stub on the train ride home- but the scorecard from that game still occupies a prized position next to my Frank Thomas bobblehead, Robin Ventura Starting Lineup figure and Buehrle Wheaties box.

I actually went to the Marlins game last night and got to see Buehrle pitch, only realizing later that it was the 5-year anniversary. He didn't pitch a no-no, but I'll take 8 innings of 1 run ball and an RBI single to go along with the Marlins absolutely destroying the Cubs.

Anyway, unless I attend a division, pennant or World Series clinching game (with the exception of the division-clinching, obviously these aren't likely scenarios) or maybe just a playoff victory some day- there'll be nothing better live than seeing possibly my favorite Sox player of all-time pitch a no-hitter.

~ Steve

doublem23
04-20-2012, 01:00 AM
I was at Northern Illinois University at the time, in my final semester in Douglas Hall. I was typing a paper, when I got a call from my dad.

"Did you watch the Sox game?"

"No, why?"

"Buehrle pitched a no-hitter."

I was stunned. I immediately looked on ESPN, and sure enough, there was Buehrle on the front page. I kicked myself for not watching it.

Both the no-hitter and perfect game I had no idea happened until after each game.

I'm almost positive that game was on WCIU because I don't believe I could have watched it down in Peoria. By the end, a few buddies and I were sitting around watching GameCast on someone's computer. Crazy.

esbrechtel
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I was supposed to go to the game with my dad but I had a huge paper for class to finish. So i called him, he took my cousin.

I had the game on in the background and was so angry that I didn't go. All I've ever wanted was to keep score and have my own scorecard from a no hitter.

DumpJerry
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I too had a ticket in 149 (row 10) and spent the entire game on the fan deck!

I didn't think it was freezing out...I was comfy in my Sox hoodie!
That was the best seat in the house. We were sitting the middle of the front row, so we could see the movement on every pitch thanks to the dark background and bright white ball.

I wonder if they replaced the area I wore down pacing back and forth in the 8th and 9th innings between each of Burl's pitches......

soltrain21
04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Yawn. I was at the Perfect Game.

What I remember from that night is being at The Decemberists' concert. I pull out my phone before the encore and I see I have missed calls and texts from my parents and my brother. I thought someone died.

Bruizer
04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
My Cub-lovin' daughters were there with me, as well as my Sox-lovin' son! Everyone was hanging on every pitch that night for different reasons! :tongue:

Chez
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
The brightest spot in an otherwise horrible season. I'll always remember 2007 as the Year of Andy Gonzalez and Ryan Bukvich. Hard to believe the Rangers were so dreadful only five seasons ago.

DumpJerry
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
The brightest spot in an otherwise horrible season. I'll always remember 2007 as the Year of Andy Gonzalez and Ryan Bukvich. Hard to believe the Rangers were so dreadful only five seasons ago.
Thome's 500th was pretty darn exciting. Of course, he notched it in September when hope was dead, dead, dead.

Wedema
04-21-2012, 07:30 PM
One Sox game I'll never forget.

e95xzTSuPOo&

This thread brought good luck to Philip Humber today!