PDA

View Full Version : Emanuel wants "Fenway" at Wrigley

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
While the conversation/argument will come up on $ vs tradition, I do like the comments made about the rooftop agreements.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/chicago/emanuel-working-fenway-plan-wrigley-132803614.html

Madvora
04-19-2012, 08:40 AM
"The city will make more if the Cubs are more successful"

Looks like Chicago's headed for bankruptcy.

doublem23
05-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Ald. Tom Tunney of the 42nd Ward, which includes Wrigley Field, weighs in on the proposition, and makes specific mention that regular street closures for Cubs games are going to be a tough sell.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-tunney-wrigley-field-20120509,0,3574685.story

DumpJerry
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
If I win my silly bet (Dunn hits more dingers than games the Cubs win), renovations will be off the table because Cub fans will burn down the joint. Not because some poster at WSI won a silly bet, but because the Cubs managed to win only about 39/40 games all season......

DonnieDarko
05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
If I win my silly bet (Dunn hits more dingers than games the Cubs win), renovations will be off the table because Cub fans will burn down the joint. Not because some poster at WSI won a silly bet, but because the Cubs managed to win only about 39/40 games all season......

The way that things are looking in Minnesota, you might have wanted to bet on the Twins instead of the Cubs. :tongue:

RKMeibalane
05-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Will they? Most of them masturbate to the Cubs losing, so I don't see how being outperformed by Adam Dunn is going to change anything.

Frontman
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree with the Alderman. These "street fairs" to raise money for the Cubs shouldn't effect the community around it more than games already do. Hold the fairs on your own property, or else hand over profits to the city that is strapped for cash.

Same way something at US Cellular White Sox related goes to the Sox, and other events held there benefit the city/state as the state owns US Cellular Field. The streets are "owned" by the city, not by the Ricketts.

cub killer
05-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Will they? Most of them masturbate to the Cubs losing, so I don't see how being outperformed by Adam Dunn is going to change anything.
Exactly. They have the worst streak in worldwide sports history, and many (most?) have been losing seasons. Their on-field history is pretty pitiful, but that hasn't deterred the fans. If they break the 62 Mets record, it'll hardly faze them.

DSpivack
05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Exactly. They have the worst streak in worldwide sports history, and many (most?) have been losing seasons. Their on-field history is pretty pitiful, but that hasn't deterred the fans. If they break the 62 Mets record, it'll hardly faze them.

As I have entirely too much time on my hands, I was curious and looked it up. Since winning the World Series in 1908, they have had 46 winning seasons, 57 losing seasons, and 2 seasons at .500*. Most of those winning seasons came about in the first half of the 20th century.

*Yes, I realize now this adds up to 105, so I think my math went wrong somewhere.

SI1020
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
As I have entirely too much time on my hands, I was curious and looked it up. Since winning the World Series in 1908, they have had 46 winning seasons, 57 losing seasons, and 2 seasons at .500*. Most of those winning seasons came about in the first half of the 20th century.

*Yes, I realize now this adds up to 105, so I think my math went wrong somewhere. Even though they only won 2 WS, they appeared in 10 and up until the end of WWII were one of the most successful teams in MLB. After that everything changed.

DSpivack
05-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Even though they only won 2 WS, they appeared in 10 and up until the end of WWII were one of the most successful teams in MLB. After that everything changed.

They haven't won a world series since moving into Weegham Park, maybe that's their curse. I think a move to Anchorage will help that.

FielderJones
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
They haven't won a world series since moving into Weegham Park, maybe that's their curse. I think a move to Anchorage will help that.

Weeghman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field)