PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... does Leyland know something?

kufram
04-16-2012, 04:19 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-tigers-leyland-rants-about-baseball-prognosticators-20120415,0,164295.story

Bucky F. Dent
04-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Jimmy needs to calm down and stop reading the magazines and newspapers. He should hang out here, amongst us, instead. Only then will he recognize true wrongheaded analysis and insanity. :D:

Golden Sox
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
His assessment of the White Sox is right on target. I don't see why this team can't contend for the playoffs. I would even be more confident if we could get some offense from our second baseman, third baseman and rightfielder.

pythons007
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
I think this is basic jargon from a ML manager. Take it from when Crash Davis is coaching up Meat in Bull Durham. know your basic cliches..."We play one game at time"...blah blah blah.

What did anyone expect him to say, after losing a series at Chicago. Did anyone really expect a holy **** we just lost a series to a **** team that isn't going to amount to ****!?!

Good series win, let's go win another series.

#1swisher
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Leyland is a genius. :tongue:

I like reading positive things about the White Sox. :cool:

rockinrobin23
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I hope he is right Iam liking what I see right now the pitching is off the chain loving it...

kufram
04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I think Jim Leyland is a straight-up baseball man and it is pretty easy to avoid making comment on another team. It wasn't the "White Sox will be in it at the end" comment that interested me. Of course I hope it is true.

It was his flat out "They donít know anything about baseball, people who make picks like that ... they know nothing about baseball. Nothing!Ē about the prognosticators I enjoyed.

tacosalbarojas
04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I hear Lamont has us pegged for 3rd or 4th.

TDog
04-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I have found that people in baseball generally don't like the prognostication industry and the modifer "so-called" is either stated or implied when they talk about "experts." You won't hear a manager refer to teams on his schedule as "garbage" even if the manager is confident he can beat them. Fans, on the other hand, will hear statements similar to Leyland's and believe they are only hearing excuses for poor performance against a garbage team.

A year ago, when the Whtie Sox were 5-3 after their opening weekend, most experts considered them a contender that would eventually fall to the Twins.

shingo10
04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I hear Lamont has us pegged for 3rd or 4th.

What's his deal been? Was it an ugly split between him and the Sox? He seems to really have a distaste for this organization.

Soxman219
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
That was nice of him. I think the Sox could be in Wlid Card contention but it's basically Detroit's division to lose.

doublem23
04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
What's his deal been? Was it an ugly split between him and the Sox? He seems to really have a distaste for this organization.

He had an interview in the Detroit Free Press where he mentions how much he liked Robin as a player, thought he will make a good manager, and was quoted to say that if the Sox and Tigers weren't in the same division, he'd be cheering for us.

Bucky F. Dent
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Think he will print a retraction after last night?

Oblong
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
No, last night he moved on to the Royals. Someone asked him when the young Royals would start to contend and he said "Right now."

Viva Medias B's
04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Like TLR, I wonder if Leyland still has a friendship with Jerry Reinsdorf and, thus, will have a respectful perspective of the White Sox.

tstrike2000
04-17-2012, 07:37 AM
They know abosolutely nothing!!!! Darn you people with no brains, nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Oblong
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Rod Allen, the Tigers color man, has a man crush on Kenny Williams.

Actually that's not quite fair. I think they are friends from their playing days. But when the Tigers play the Sox he talks up the organization quite a bit, moreso than others.

Leyland's a company guy. He's well respected in the league and I don't think he'd ever talk bad about anybody else in the game. Everybody is the greatest manager and the greatest fans and his favorite player, etc. That's not to say he's a BS-er, he's just a very positive person with regard to others. He thinks the game is very hard and humbling and to make it to this level you have to be very good.

He also knows the expectations for his own team and is doing his best to downplay it.

#1swisher
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
"That's a huge compliment coming from Leyland," said Danks.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120416&content_id=28841672&notebook_id=28842954&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws