PDA

View Full Version : Tanks?

FoulTerritory
04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Is it just me, or is Hawk now calling Viciedo "Tanks" . . . plural. Why wouldn't he be "tank"? He is, after all, only one singular entity.

Hawk, you are making no sense to me at all.

Boondock Saint
04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Hawk being Hawk. Now that Ozzie and Manny are long gone, someone's gotta take over that mantle.

soxinem1
04-15-2012, 05:17 PM
He's been using the plural on him. I don't know why, but he is, especially when one Tank will do.

RKMeibalane
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Hawk is an idiot. I hope Stone loses it one day and beats the **** out of him.

BainesHOF
04-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Then I hope Hawk decks Stone.

Broccoli Rob
04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Hawk thinks he's on the team

Huisj
04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
The tank is better than Tanks. That's just a dumb sounding nickname.

Crooked Number
04-15-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm glad you posted about this. I was wondering the same thing today during todays broadcast. Quite puzzling.

all*star quentin
04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Is it just me, or is Hawk now calling Viciedo "Tanks" . . . plural. Why wouldn't he be "tank"? He is, after all, only one singular entity.

He started this last season. :o:

RhubarbStew
04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Because it's a nickname he didn't come up with, so he has to change it. Yes, it's stupid.

RKMeibalane
04-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Because it's a nickname he didn't come up with, so he has to change it. Yes, it's stupid.

What's really annoying is that "Tank" was Frank's original nickname when he joined the Sox, as Hawk often referred to him as "Frank the Tank," before dubbing him the "Big Hurt" during the Robin Ventura-Goose Gossage-Grand Slam game in 1991.

Hawk's act is beyond old, but the Sox will never do away with him as long as Reinsdorf owns the team. It's sad.

Foulke You
04-16-2012, 03:45 AM

I had this same conversation with my wife while watching the game. Not sure whether this is Hawk just making a mistake by adding the "s" at the end or if he is really calling him "Tanks" now as a nickname.

wassagstdu
04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
If Jordan Danks ever makes the team they will have two Danks and a Tanks. Sounds like a Who's on First-type routine in the making, especially on days when everyone wears the same number.

moochpuppy
04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Hawk is just showing Viceido his appreciation. :rolleyes:

Golden Sox
04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I've always liked the Hawk. In my opinion he should be in the Broadcasters wing in Baseballs HOF. That being said, I've noticed this season he has started to slip. He has been missing plays, names and the number of outs in innings. I hope he doesn't turn into another Harry Caray at the end of his career. Caray missed plays and became a joke at the end of his career. If Hawk continues down the same path, I hope he retires.

aryzner
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
"Tanks" makes me think of:

-48OFresMkI

TheOldRoman
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
I would glady accept "Tanks" if all of our TV and radio announcers would stop ****ing calling him Diane. Dayan rhymes with Mayan.

doublem23
04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
I would glady accept "Tanks" if all of our TV and radio announcers would stop ****ing calling him Diane. Dayan rhymes with Mayan.

I don't think that's possible as there's technically an accent in the 2nd "A" in his first name.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427064020/http://www.radiococo.cu/Fichas/villa+clara/vclviciedo.htm

DonnieDarko
04-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, "Dah-yahn" is closer to the correct pronunciation, I believe.

Steelrod
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I've always liked the Hawk. In my opinion he should be in the Broadcasters wing in Baseballs HOF. That being said, I've noticed this season he has started to slip. He has been missing plays, names and the number of outs in innings. I hope he doesn't turn into another Harry Caray at the end of his career. Caray missed plays and became a joke at the end of his career. If Hawk continues down the same path, I hope he retires.
Too late!
BTW.. every time I hear Tanks, I think Your Welcome! Enough with the nicknames already.

TheOldRoman
04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't think that's possible as there's technically an accent in the 2nd "A" in his first name.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427064020/http://www.radiococo.cu/Fichas/villa+clara/vclviciedo.htm I am talking about the Americanized pronunciation. The Spanish pronunciation of his name is Dah-yon, but I don't think Diane is any closer to that. Call him Dah-yon or Dye-in, either would be fine. Dye-in at least uses the regular American pattern of underprouncing the last syllable of a name (for example, we don't say JorDAN, PipPEN or GoldMAN we prounce them Jordin, Pippin and Goldmin). Calling him Diane isn't the literal pronunciation and doesn't really follow any norms of speech, either. It just sounds weird, and, to top it off, is a woman's name.

Procol Harum
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Hawk has been going to the Jewels for years and thought it was only logical that....

FielderJones
04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Hawk has been going to the Jewels for years and thought it was only logical that....

No article. My mom is going to Jewels. :wink:

Noneck
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Maybe then soon the nick will be The Tanks.

GoGoCrede
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I am talking about the Americanized pronunciation. The Spanish pronunciation of his name is Dah-yon, but I don't think Diane is any closer to that. Call him Dah-yon or Dye-in, either would be fine. Dye-in at least uses the regular American pattern of underprouncing the last syllable of a name (for example, we don't say JorDAN, PipPEN or GoldMAN we prounce them Jordin, Pippin and Goldmin). Calling him Diane isn't the literal pronunciation and doesn't really follow any norms of speech, either. It just sounds weird, and, to top it off, is a woman's name.

I hate his pronunciation of "Jimenez" even more (although apparently I heard that's the way the player wants it pronounced?).

doublem23
04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
According to the Birmingham Barons 2009 media guide, it's Die-YAHN Vee-See-AY-Doe

http://www.milb.com/documents/2009/06/05/5159488/1/Roster_6_4.pdf

TheOldRoman
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
According to the Birmingham Barons 2009 media guide, it's Die-YAHN Vee-See-AY-Doe

http://www.milb.com/documents/2009/06/05/5159488/1/Roster_6_4.pdfYeah, that is how I described it in my post (though I spelled it Dah-yon). The last syllable rhymes with "on", not "ann". There is nothing trickly about it to anyone who understands the Spanish vowel sounds, as I believe you have said you do. I don't think that is close to the Diane pronunciation. If they aren't going to call pronounce it Die-YAHN (and I don't think announcers will since they still call Carlos Beltran "Bell-tran" instead of "Bel-tron"), I think Dye-in would be acceptable. I have no idea where the hell Diane came from.

fisk4ever
04-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Friday after reading the second shoutout to older guys in attendance, he said, "Two centurions!"

WSox597
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I noticed the Tanks thing this weekend. I wondered what was going on with that.

I can run hot and cold on Hawk, but he'll never be as bad as Caray was.

Hawk has a long way to go to become that god awful bad.

Noneck
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Okie Dokie :rolleyes:

Hendu
04-17-2012, 12:30 AM
The Tanks thing is really starting to get on my nerves. C'mon Hawk he already has a nickname, why do you have to make it plural?

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2012, 12:52 AM
The Tanks thing is really starting to get on my nerves. C'mon Hawk he already has a nickname, why do you have to make it plural?He was doing this last year. I asked about it then.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I noticed the Tanks thing this weekend. I wondered what was going on with that.

In Harry's last couple of years with the Cubs he became a parody of himself, Hawk is well on his way to becoming a parody of himself as well.

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2012, 01:53 AM
In Harry's last couple of years with the Cubs he became a parody of himself, Hawk is well on his way to becoming a parody of himself as well.I think Hawk is much lower key so far this year, and is engaging in give and take with Stone. The blown strike calls in the ninth would have resulted in a long rant in the past. He completely let it go tonight.