PDA

View Full Version : Sox increasing focus on draft and latin america?

delben91
04-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Small blurb in a Levine column on espn.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/9298/sox-back-in-small-market-mode), so consider the source.

Halfway through he states that both KW and Reinsdorf have acknowledged the team has invested far too little in the draft and overseas scouting and that needs to change, and is changing, starting this year.

Plus, with the new CBA, not sure how much "more investing" a team can do in the draft, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules that more or less invoke a somewhat set cost-per-slot.

cws05champ
04-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Small blurb in a Levine column on espn.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/9298/sox-back-in-small-market-mode), so consider the source.

Halfway through he states that both KW and Reinsdorf have acknowledged the team has invested far too little in the draft and overseas scouting and that needs to change, and is changing, starting this year.

Plus, with the new CBA, not sure how much "more investing" a team can do in the draft, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules that more or less invoke a somewhat set cost-per-slot.
Of course, they decide this now when the draft is basically slotted and a possible International draft coming. Way to be ahead of the curve guys!!

Frater Perdurabo
04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
A slot system in the amateur draft doesn't mean the Sox can't invest more resources on scouting and player development, both in the US and Latin America.

Tragg
04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
A slot system in the amateur draft doesn't mean the Sox can't invest more resources on scouting and player development, both in the US and Latin America.

Exactly. And it hopefully also doesn't mean that the Sox have to use the Indians/Royals/Pirates model of ignoring their major league club either. I don't know how much it costs to beef up scouting and player development but just not wasting money on the Teahens, Linebrinks, Cintrons should help, without having to starve the quality major league product.

The Sox just made some nutty picks last decade: a college closer in the first round, a slof-tossing lefty, e.g.

cws05champ
04-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Yes but the strategy would have been a little more effective under the previous rules IMO.

California Sox
04-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Jerry was the driving force behind the new rules. Now with what he considers a level playing field, he is willing to spend. Before, he was afraid of bidding up bonuses and repeating the Borchard mistake.

Sox have 5 mil to spend on the draft this year. I bet the spend it all. That is twice what they spent last year, but still only one Mark Teahen.

delben91
04-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Jerry was the driving force behind the new rules. Now with what he considers a level playing field, he is willing to spend. Before, he was afraid of bidding up bonuses and repeating the Borchard mistake.

Sox have 5 mil to spend on the draft this year. I bet the spend it all. That is twice what they spent last year, but still only one Mark Teahen.

I suppose incremental progress is better than none at all...

DickAllen72
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
JSS! (Just sign Soler).

palehozenychicty
04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Of course, they decide this now when the draft is basically slotted and a possible International draft coming. Way to be ahead of the curve guys!!

Right?! I bet this franchise would have won a few more of those divisions and possible pennants in the last decade if they had more depth in their system.