PDA

View Full Version : New things you noticed around the park today

GoGoCrede
04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Anything new? I know we already had a food thread. What's the verdict on the new offerings? Anything else new?

- Hot dog prices went up, now $5.25 (Edit: Apparently they were that price last year. Whoops)
- New souvenir cups have the throwback uniform on them
- Someone finally put an apostrophe in the 'What's your 20' segment. :tongue:
- I didn't hear Gene say "White Sox fans, on your feet," but granted I may have missed it or it was just a fluke. Also the fireworks seem different.

Also, I think Lori's doing a good job as organist.

ChicagoG19
04-13-2012, 06:16 PM
They had pictures of the starting lineup just outside of gate 4. Otherwise, I didn't see anything significantly different.

beasly213
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Hot Dogs were 5.25 last year too. At least I think they were..

GoGoCrede
04-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Hot Dogs were 5.25 last year too. At least I think they were..

Whoops! I didn't go to a whole lot of games last year, that's probably why I didn't remember that.

TommyGavinFloyd
04-13-2012, 06:34 PM
The batter's box seemed a little smaller. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
They had pictures of the starting lineup just outside of gate 4. Otherwise, I didn't see anything significantly different.

Was it a LED board or just a big piece of board?

Lundind1
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Fireworks were really low key as opposed to years past. Might have been different for opening day.

Let's hope they bring out the boomers for the homerunsn for the rest of the games this year. They may need a lot of them.

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
The batter's box seemed a little smaller. :cool:
I read about that but was at work and couldn't see it. What was it all about, & did it look like a legit complaint?
Fireworks were really low key as opposed to years past. Might have been different for opening day.

Let's hope they bring out the boomers for the homerunsn for the rest of the games this year. They may need a lot of them.

Some people in this neighborhood complained to the alderman that they were too loud.

esbrechtel
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Some people in this neighborhood complained to the alderman that they were too loud.

:(: this makes me sad...

Viva Medias B's
04-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I thought the Blackhawks Mustache (by cracky) Cam was lame.

ChicagoG19
04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Was it a LED board or just a big piece of board?

No. It looked like 13 x 10 Photographs just put up on the wall.

hoosiersoxfan
04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Did they serve Big Hurt Beer at the park? I haven't tried it yet or heard much about it. Not expecting anything too great but any reviews from anyone who has had it?

DumpJerry
04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Brent Morel laid down a successful sacrifice bunt. Pailie scored from first on a hit.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Killjoys.

Woofer
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Not to complain, but was todays "flyover" really lame? The jets passed somewhere behind the park, I heard them. They never flew over the field. And the fireworks were too quiet. The game was good.

ChiSoxFann
04-13-2012, 09:43 PM
No. It looked like 13 x 10 Photographs just put up on the wall.

I entered the park across 35th at Gate 5 and noticed them. They are photos just outside the main entrance.

Agree on the fireworks. They were pretty weak and I hope they bring back the aerial bombs. I wish they would bring back the air raid siren after homeruns also, but that's been gone for years.

There's also quite a few new food stands in the upper deck as many have mentioned. The Hooters wing stand has chicken wire around it to look like a chicken coop, which I got a chuckle out of.

DSpivack
04-13-2012, 09:46 PM
I entered the park across 35th at Gate 5 and noticed them. They are photos just outside the main entrance.

Agree on the fireworks. They were pretty weak and I hope they bring back the aerial bombs. I wish they would bring back the air raid siren after homeruns also, but that's been gone for years.

There's also quite a few new food stands in the upper deck as many have mentioned. The Hooters wing stand has chicken wire around it to look like a chicken coop, which I got a chuckle out of.

They should just call it the Chicken Coop!

http://cbswscram.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/don-cooper-7-21.jpg?w=385&h=215
"The What?"

Golden Sox
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Today was the first time I've been to the Chicago Sports Depot. I couldn't believe how nice it is. If I owned Grandstand I would be worried about the future of my store. I also realized how much I like watching White Sox baseball at the Cell. I don't have any interests in the other sports. This offseason was a very long one and I'm glad White Sox baseball is back.

Brian26
04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Not to complain, but was todays "flyover" really lame? The jets passed somewhere behind the park, I heard them. They never flew over the field. And the fireworks were too quiet. The game was good.

I thought they messed up and flew over too soon (although not low enough to see them) and didn't have time to circle back around. It was definitely botched.

Brian26
04-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Today was the first time I've been to the Chicago Sports Depot. I couldn't believe how nice it is. If I owned Grandstand I would be worried about the future of my store.

The Upper Deck t-shirt shop (on the 3rd base side) has been renovated, and the actual t-shirt stand has been moved over the 2nd floor of the Chicago Sports Depot.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2012, 09:55 PM
There was no Ozzie Guillen. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
:(: this makes me sad...
Killjoys.
It still seemed loud enough...I heard it from inside my apartment, and I'm about a mile away.

StillMissOzzie
04-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I thought they messed up and flew over too soon (although not low enough to see them) and didn't have time to circle back around. It was definitely botched.

I counted 3 trips, if you include the 3rd one that was off in the distance beyond RF. The first time, the Sox were still being introduced - way too early! The second time, during the National Anthem - just a bit too early, but AGAIN! Then, a few minutes later, they did a turn a ways south of USCF, but still visible from my seats.

And they didn't get low enough either - probably the same whiny people who complained about fireworks noise were complaining about jet roar.

SMO
:gulp:

Woofer
04-13-2012, 10:00 PM

During the National Anthem they flew behind the third base side stands. I thought the same thing, too early maybe they would try it again. About 10 minutes later, I saw the 2 jets loop back around the park and hightail it South. I love flyovers, I was looking forward to a good one today.

Wedema
04-13-2012, 10:02 PM
The Irish Nachos were a disappointment at $8 as the green helmets were very small compared to the Nacho helmets. I didn't try the new Loaded Baked Potatoes but noticed that they are $7.50 each. To add bacon on your Vienna Beef grilled hot dog it will set you back $1.50.

Woofer
04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Today was the first time I've been to the Chicago Sports Depot. I couldn't believe how nice it is. If I owned Grandstand I would be worried about the future of my store. I also realized how much I like watching White Sox baseball at the Cell. I don't have any interests in the other sports. This offseason was a very long one and I'm glad White Sox baseball is back.

We drove by Grandstand after the game. There were probably 25 people lined up outside the door waiting to get in. If anything, maybe some competition between the two will help to keep prices low.

tebman
04-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Is this true? If so, have they not noticed those fireworks for the last 51 years? Come on! That's a signature piece of White Sox iconography.

We were at the game today and I was disappointed in the fireworks, or lack thereof. I hope whatever issue prevented the show from happening gets resolved soon.

October26
04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
While in the Women's Restroom, I saw a young lady kneeling in front of a toilet bowl, vomiting. Her friend was holding her hair back and comforting her. I saw this because they were both so drunk that they forgot to close the stall door. In all of the years that I've been attending ballgames, I don't remember ever seeing that at the ballpark.

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Is this true? If so, have they not noticed those fireworks for the last 51 years? Come on! That's a signature piece of White Sox iconography.

We were at the game today and I was disappointed in the fireworks, or lack thereof. I hope whatever issue prevented the show from happening gets resolved soon.
I read it in Bridgeport News...I don't remember exactly which issue, and it's been in the garbage for a while.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Exactly. The long-timers should be used to it, and the newcomers, well I guess that's like moving near an airport and then complaining about the noise. :shrug:

soxfan21
04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
exactly. The long-timers should be used to it, and the newcomers, well i guess that's like moving near an airport and then complaining about the noise. :shrug:

+1.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM
While in the Women's Restroom, I saw a young lady kneeling in front of a toilet bowl, vomiting. Her friend was holding her hair back and comforting her. I saw this because they were both so drunk that they forgot to close the stall door. In all of the years that I've been attending ballgames, I don't remember ever seeing that at the ballpark.

At least they made it to the bathroom. I was at a game a few years ago when the girl next to me decided to start vomiting all over the ground. I was in the first row of the OF. It took three trips to security to get her removed by everyone in the section. Finally removed her when the group she was with forgot to wash down the ground. Ruined the game for me. People need to learn how to hold their alcohol. It not THAT hard.

DumpJerry
04-13-2012, 11:49 PM
We were late getting down there, so we saw the double flyby outside the park. They first flew by east of the park and high, I figured they were going to the staging area for the real thing. Then, while we were getting ready to enter Gate 5, the real flyby (much lower and louder) took place it was not over the park, it was over Lot B.

The fireworks were so quiet, they can use them on Dog Day because the dogs won't notice them. Who is the idiot who complained after all these years? Someone new to the 'hood who did not know about the ballpark? This is like people who get a house a block from Wrigley and then complain about the congestion on gamedays or get a home half a mile from the airport and complain about the noise......

GoGoCrede
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
I saw the flyby near my section, 554. It was a huge blink and you'll miss it moment, though. I only saw it because I heard it coming and moved my head in the right direction

HomeFish
04-14-2012, 12:27 AM
They no longer have fireworks at all in DC, after local residents complained about the noise. Be happy you still have fireworks - though White Sox baseball without obnoxious fireworks just isn't White Sox baseball. I like to scoff at the 4th of July firework shows put on by small towns by pointing out that I see more fireworks after Paul Konerko hits a home run.

beasly213
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I wasn't at the game or in the neighborhood today. But seriously who complained they were too loud? What the hell is wrong with people? You moved to a neighborhood where the Sox play and fireworks go off MAYBE a few times during a three hour period. Jeeze that's lame. :rolleyes:

I really hope the boom's come back. Those are the best ones!

What's next? someone is going to complain 35th is backed up before games?

GoGoCrede
04-14-2012, 12:44 AM
I wasn't at the game or in the neighborhood today. But seriously who complained they were too loud? What the hell is wrong with people? You moved to a neighborhood where the Sox play and fireworks go off MAYBE a few times during a three hour period. Jeeze that's lame. :rolleyes:

Pure speculation, but maybe the loud boom is why people got pissed. I remember jumping a mile every time when the fireworks went off before I learned to anticipate the sound (this was the fireworks at the beginning of the game, not after home runs). I liked to amuse myself by watching other people jump.

beasly213
04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Pure speculation, but maybe the loud boom is why people got pissed. I remember jumping a mile every time when the fireworks went off before I learned to anticipate the sound (this was the fireworks at the beginning of the game, not after home runs). I liked to amuse myself by watching other people jump.

I'm sure that's what people complained about but they have to be new people to the neighborhood. People that have lived there know fireworks are going off during the games including the boom.

As Bridgeport has started to grow more people have been moving in. My guess is it's some new people who moved in complained about it last year.

Crooked Number
04-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Here is something I noticed. I arrived around 1:15 - made a mad scramble from work to the park - did anyone else notice that every single gate was delaying people entry? I went to 4 different gates because each one was at a standstill. I ended up running out of options when I reached gate 2. Missed the first inning because of it. Me and about 500 other people sat there for almost 15 minutes. It was very strange.

Another thing I noticed was the lack of aerial bombs for Dayan's hr (which I think others have mentioned I didnt read through this whole thread).

New organist is still off. She played take me out to the ball game too fast, and the crowd wasn't able to keep up with the 1, 2, 3 strikes & her rendition of na-na goodbye is dreadful, it sounds like it's just chords. Probably just minutiae, not a big a deal...

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2012, 01:18 AM

I wonder how this might impact Fireworks nights this season. It's kind of hard at least to have the grand finale without the extra-loud boom booms!

I absolutely hate coming home from work at the moment the Sox game is letting out. I'm so glad I reached 31st Street by the 9th inning. It wasn't too bad! That's one weekday home game down! Only 4 more of these left this season, which I can deal with.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-14-2012, 01:25 AM
New frozen dairy product for sale by the Lemon Chill vendors -- tiny bits of Oreo-type cookie in it. $4.50.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2012, 01:26 AM
New frozen dairy product for sale by the Lemon Chill vendors -- tiny bits of Oreo-type cookie in it. $4.50.
That sounds good! Were they as big as the Lemon Chill containers?

SoxandtheCityTee
04-14-2012, 01:32 AM
That sounds good! Were they as big as the Lemon Chill containers?

Nope, much smaller. They were maybe 10 oz. -- though according to the nutritional labeling, that was 2.5 servings. We lolled.

Foulke You
04-14-2012, 02:56 AM
The fireworks were so quiet, they can use them on Dog Day because the dogs won't notice them. Who is the idiot who complained after all these years? Someone new to the 'hood who did not know about the ballpark? This is like people who get a house a block from Wrigley and then complain about the congestion on gamedays or get a home half a mile from the airport and complain about the noise......
In addition to being quieter, I noticed they initially launch these long streaking fireworks in an 'X' like pattern now before the aerial ones go off. Perhaps this was an attempt to spice it up due to the lack of decibels now. It's a cool effect but I miss those booming blasts.

On a different note. I also noticed the vendors are selling those aluminum pint bottles of beer now.

BainesHOF
04-14-2012, 03:25 AM
The team should have doubled down and made the fireworks louder.

Medford Bobby
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM

No wonder I did not hear any boom boom on my xm radio.....:whiner:

TaylorStSox
04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
The team should have doubled down and made the fireworks louder.
No more betting references, please.

DumpJerry
04-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Maybe we should complain to the Alderman and tell him we will go to bars and restaurants outside the ward pre and post-game. Copy the letter to the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce.

FoulTerritory
04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Also, I think Lori's doing a good job as organist.

Generally I agree. But why doesn't she ever play "Kiss him Goodbye" after homeruns, or better yet, after the final out of the victory. These were cherished traditions and seemed to reflect a sort of unified joy at the ol' ballpark.

Also, why does she only seem to be present on weekends? My guess is it'll back to the same ol' canned loud crap saturating the atmosphere come Monday night.

Harry Potter
04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Aluminum pint beers > Plastic bottle beers

Agreed that the fireworks were weak!

TomBradley72
04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
New organist is still off. She played take me out to the ball game too fast, and the crowd wasn't able to keep up with the 1, 2, 3 strikes & her rendition of na-na goodbye is dreadful, it sounds like it's just chords. Probably just minutiae, not a big a deal...

Completely agree.

During the player announcements yesterday- it's like she was playing an LP at 45 rpms (for anyone that remembers what that means)- she plays too fast and doesn't seem to remotely have the same feel for the game and the traditions (Na Na) as her predecessor.

I miss Nancy Faust. :whiner:

I want a good "Na Na" and I want aerial bombs!

LongLiveFisk
04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Generally I agree. But why doesn't she ever play "Kiss him Goodbye" after homeruns, or better yet, after the final out of the victory. These were cherished traditions and seemed to reflect a sort of unified joy at the ol' ballpark.

Also, why does she only seem to be present on weekends? My guess is it'll back to the same ol' canned loud crap saturating the atmosphere come Monday night.

When she did play the "Na Na Hey Hey" song, she was playing it in a slightly different key or something and it sounded weird.

Warriorjan
04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I agree, it was in what seemed like a different key and didn't sound right. Look, I can understand why she wants to be her own person and all, but can't she listen to a tape of Nancy playing it and try to emulate it at least part of the way? It doesn't seem to have a real intro (dum-dum-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum, na-na etc) like Nancy had and the pace gets all messed up. Why mess with what worked?

Wedema
04-14-2012, 11:34 AM
If you miss Nancy, you can go and see her play at Kane County Cougar games on Sundays this year.

Red Barchetta
04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Not sure if this is new or something I just noticed, however on TV, the pictures of the retired SOX numbers/players on the outfield walls looked a lot better. More like pictures vs. stencil drawings.

Milw
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
As long as this has turned into a complaint thread (and I don't disagree with any of the complaints that have been lodged), I've got to complain about the lack of a replay after Alexei's fantastic double play that saved the game in the seventh.

Here you've got a game-saving Play Of The Season candidate on Opening Day against your rival, causing the packed house to go nuts. Just about everyone in my section as saying, "Check out this replay," or some variation, and pointing to the scoreboard. We wait. And wait. And what do the geniuses in the scoreboard room show us? Freegin Red Sox and Yankees game highlights. Followed up by an ad for Waste Management or something. And then a "Now Pitching for the Tigers" announcement with live video of the new Tigers pitcher warming up. Are you kidding me? It was a serious letdown, and it really killed the crowd's buzz. We wanted to cheer that play again, and the scoreboard crew took that opportunity from us.

Look, I know the Sports Update highlight segment or whatever is sponsored by WGN, and they probably are obligated to play that at a certain time. And ditto with regular ads. But come on, find 5 seconds to show a fantastic replay. Ridiculous.

Milw
04-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Not sure if this is new or something I just noticed, however on TV, the pictures of the retired SOX numbers/players on the outfiedl walls looked a lot better. More like pictures vs. stencil drawings.
They looked the same as they have for a couple seasons. They haven't been the stencil drawings since, I believe, they added Carlton Fisk to the wall (in 2009 ?).

ChiSoxFann
04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
As long as this has turned into a complaint thread (and I don't disagree with any of the complaints that have been lodged), I've got to complain about the lack of a replay after Alexei's fantastic double play that saved the game in the seventh.

Completely agree. Everyone in my section was looking at the scoreboard waiting to see it. I didn't get to see it again until I watched the replay of the game last night.

And with the retired numbers on the wall. I believe they were changed to the current pictures shortly before Frank's number was retired. I wish they would redo the Jackie Robinson picture on the RF wall. It's still the original, cheesy design while the Sox ones are really nice pictures. It really looks bad, IMHO.

GoGoCrede
04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
When she did play the "Na Na Hey Hey" song, she was playing it in a slightly different key or something and it sounded weird.

I noticed that, took me a second to figure out what she was playing.

Red Barchetta
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Completely agree. Everyone in my section was looking at the scoreboard waiting to see it. I didn't get to see it again until I watched the replay of the game last night.

And with the retired numbers on the wall. I believe they were changed to the current pictures shortly before Frank's number was retired. I wish they would redo the Jackie Robinson picture on the RF wall. It's still the original, cheesy design while the Sox ones are really nice pictures. It really looks bad, IMHO.

That's probably why I noticed it. I live in FL, however I usually try to make it to one weekend series in Chicago every season.

I'm sure they also install new or repaired padding covers each season to make them appear newer or refreshed.

Max Power
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
The two biggest changes (fireworks, organist) have already been covered. I'll add I enjoyed the new between inning contest of firing several flyballs to a fan trying to catch them in the outfield. That has all kinds of entertainment potential.

GoGoCrede
04-14-2012, 12:18 PM
The two biggest changes (fireworks, organist) have already been covered. I'll add I enjoyed the new between inning contest of firing several flyballs to a fan trying to catch them in the outfield. That has all kinds of entertainment potential.

I don't think that's new. I remember seeing it before.

Milw
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Might have just been an Opening Day thing, but there was a conspicuous absence of animated between-innings games on the scoreboard. I don't necessarily have a problem with this--the cap game is fine, but the races are kind of dumb-but it's notable given how absurdly prevalent those dumb scoreboard races were during the Gallas era (five or six per game!). Good riddance.

tacosalbarojas
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I noticed that, took me a second to figure out what she was playing.
She is awful, plain and simple. I'd rather we have no organ music at all, which is what I believe Brooks wants.

FoulTerritory
04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
She is awful, plain and simple. I'd rather we have no organ music at all, which is what I believe Brooks wants.

Yeah, its interesting because Brooks used to go on about how he wasn't sure if he'd replace Nancy because people would inevitably be unhappy with her replacement. This seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me though. I mean, you need to want to find someone skilled and dynamic, do a thorough search, and then also perhaps have said person apprentice with Nancy, especially if they have no previous experience playing at sports games. Brooks has handled this badly.

ChiSoxGal85
04-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Did anyone at the game yesterday try out the wi-fi? How was it?

Wedema
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
The between inning contest of shooting balls for a fan to catch is the United Fly Away Friday promotion that has been done at all Friday home games for the last few years.

kittle42
04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
The beer selection at the beer stands down the first and third base lines is better than a lot of bars in Chicago. Just excellent.

Milw
04-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Did anyone at the game yesterday try out the wi-fi? How was it?
It took me until the 7th inning to figure out how to get it to work. Once I did, it was fine. (I consider myself relatively tech-savvy; if it took me this long to figure it out, there's no chance for many people.)

It seems that they will offer a monthly package for $8/month, which is reasonable to me.

Brian26
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
If you miss Nancy, you can go and see her play at Kane County Cougar games on Sundays this year.

No thanks.

skobabe8
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah, its interesting because Brooks used to go on about how he wasn't sure if he'd replace Nancy because people would inevitably be unhappy with her replacement. This seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me though. I mean, you need to want to find someone skilled and dynamic, do a thorough search, and then also perhaps have said person apprentice with Nancy, especially if they have no previous experience playing at sports games. Brooks has handled this badly.

Agreed.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2012, 02:49 PM
I wonder if they even gave Nancy a say in who they hired as her replacement. I doubt they even did. Because, Nancy would've chosen someone who would make us miss her less. I really didn't like the organ music at the games I attended last season.

DSpivack
04-14-2012, 03:04 PM
The beer selection at the beer stands down the first and third base lines is better than a lot of bars in Chicago. Just excellent.

What do they have?

KenBerryGrab
04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
The word seems to be out even more on the nacho helmets.

Both 500 level carts near home were 25 deep once the game started.

Go early or go without. Had to have the Vienna with after smelling it on the walkup. That's baseball!

Agree with whoever said the aluminum beer bottles are better.

GoGoCrede
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
The word seems to be out even more on the nacho helmets.

Both 500 level carts near home were 25 deep once the game started.

Go early or go without. Had to have the Vienna with after smelling it on the walkup. That's baseball!

Agree with whoever said the aluminum beer bottles are better.

To be fair, the 500 level was mobbed at most of the stands. Took me forever to get a hot dog. I'm not doubting its popularity, though.

kittle42
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
What do they have?

Some notables:

Bar Fly IPA
Bell's Oberon
Great Lakes Elliot Ness
Krank Shaft
Leinie Classic
Leinie Honey Weiss
Mad Hatter IPA
Summit
Windy City Wheat
Crispin Cider

skobabe8
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
I tried to get a juicy lucy in the 7th inning, but they told us the wait would be about 20 mins. :o: So I got the nacho helmet and there was no wait (100 level concourse).

kittle42
04-14-2012, 06:21 PM
I tried to get a juicy lucy in the 7th inning, but they told us the wait would be about 20 mins. :o: So I got the nacho helmet and there was no wait (100 level concourse).

I got one - it was worth it.

Also stated several times how surprised I was that the nacho/burrito stands had no wait. I think that speaks to how well the new offerings were going over.

Say what you will about the Sox, they used to have the best food in MLB, fell way off, and have totally come back toward the top this season.

doublem23
04-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Some notables:

Bar Fly IPA
Bell's Oberon
Great Lakes Elliot Ness
Krank Shaft
Leinie Classic
Leinie Honey Weiss
Mad Hatter IPA
Summit
Windy City Wheat
Crispin Cider

That is a great list

Jerko
04-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Organist still pretty weak; everything she plays sounds exactly the same. Sampled Big Hurt Beer up in the stadium club, it was pretty good. Kinda sweet, not bad at all. didn't care for the aluminum bottles. way too crowded to eat so I didn't try any new food

ChicagoG19
04-14-2012, 06:51 PM
I got one - it was worth it.

Also stated several times how surprised I was that the nacho/burrito stands had no wait. I think that speaks to how well the new offerings were going over.

Say what you will about the Sox, they used to have the best food in MLB, fell way off, and have totally come back toward the top this season. When Digiorno is your pizza offering, you are no where near the top. It still boggles my mind that in the greatest pizza city in the country (sorry NYC), they don't have a local brand (Connie's, Home Run Inn, Rosati's) at the ballpark.

LongLiveFisk
04-14-2012, 07:00 PM
When Digiorno is your pizza offering, you are no where near the top. It still boggles my mind that in the greatest pizza city in the country (sorry NYC), they don't have a local brand (Connie's, Home Run Inn, Rosati's) at the ballpark.

Yeah, the Digiorno thing is still weird to me. It's frozen pizza, not made fresh. Forget that.

yazz32
04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Tried the stuffed cheddar,bacon, jalopeno burger near Section 113.
Wow, thumbs up.

But noticed the Philly Cheese Steak is gone...

Wedema
04-14-2012, 08:07 PM
When I got my Vienna "dog with" before the game, I asked about the bacon and was told that it is Pastrami bacon and they will warm it for you on the grill. She said only a couple of people have asked for it so far so I passed. When I went up after the fifth inning, I wanted to try the new loaded baked potato but was told that they were out except for sweet potatoes so I got another Vienna "dog with".

russ99
04-14-2012, 08:41 PM
When Digiorno is your pizza offering, you are no where near the top. It still boggles my mind that in the greatest pizza city in the country (sorry NYC), they don't have a local brand (Connie's, Home Run Inn, Rosati's) at the ballpark.

I'll give you that, but the frozen Connie's was beyond awful. For the backlash the DiGiorno's gets for being a frozen pizza brand, it's not half bad at the ballpark.

Maybe at some point they can add a "pizza pub" and bring in a different Chicago pizza place every homestand to supply the freshmade pies.

SephClone89
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Screw waiting in line for food; that's why I always get there at least an hour early and eat pretty soon after that. Don't want to miss any of the game waiting in line for a hot dog or whatever.

35th Street Red Hots tomorrow, maybe get a nacho helmet on Monday.

thomas35forever
04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I did notice today that the fireworks were a little quieter, but there's something else about them that caught my attention and I noticed this on TV yesterday too. It seems they start with those that shoot up and then don't go to the circular aerial ones until it's time for the last few to go off. Why the change in that? Does the new lack of noise have some relation to it? And can we get some variation on the colors? I don't wanna see just pink and green all game long.

EDIT: I'll add that I'm glad they brought back Have a Nice Day after a victory.

Harry Potter
04-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Another day of being disappointed at the weak fireworks :angry:

Another day of being happy with aluminum pint beers :cool:

Brian26
04-14-2012, 11:22 PM
This hasn't been mentioned yet. It's always interesting to see who gets the final clip in the opening montage on the scoreboard. Last year, it was Omar Vizquel. This year, it is Adam Dunn.

ChiSoxGirl
04-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Organist still pretty weak; everything she plays sounds exactly the same. Sampled Big Hurt Beer up in the stadium club, it was pretty good. Kinda sweet, not bad at all. didn't care for the aluminum bottles. way too crowded to eat so I didn't try any new food

So weak, in fact, that there was no "Na Na Na Na..." played after Viciedo's home run; all I heard were weak fireworks and the fans cheering. What the hell...? :?:

FoulTerritory
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
So weak, in fact, that there was no "Na Na Na Na..." played after Viciedo's home run; all I heard were weak fireworks and the fans cheering. What the hell...? :?:

Yeah, I was complaining about this earlier in the thread. It seems Na na na na only gets played when an opposing pitcher is yanked. Haven't heard it after a homerun or last out of a victory in a while. Weak indeed.

doublem23
04-15-2012, 02:08 PM
This hasn't been mentioned yet. It's always interesting to see who gets the final clip in the opening montage on the scoreboard. Last year, it was Omar Vizquel. This year, it is Adam Dunn.

Yeah but it was the HR he murdered off Verlander. Pretty sweet.

thomas35forever
04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I wish they would redo the Jackie Robinson picture on the RF wall. It's still the original, cheesy design while the Sox ones are really nice pictures. It really looks bad, IMHO.
Looks like you got your wish.

Red Barchetta
04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Did they remove the old All Star game and pinwheel decals?

thomas35forever
04-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Did they remove the old All Star game and pinwheel decals?
Not from what I could tell. They appear to still be there.

TomBradley72
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Not from what I could tell. They appear to still be there.

If you can call "there" as washed out/deteriorated a full 9 years after they hosted the All Star game- looks horrible as well as the stuff around the press box that was added that season.

Red Barchetta
04-15-2012, 04:39 PM
If you can call "there" as washed out/deteriorated a full 9 years after they hosted the All Star game- looks horrible as well as the stuff around the press box that was added that season.

I don't know why they just don't remove them. Paint fade concern? Did they plug in the holes from the monitors they removed?

Harry Potter
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Looks like you got your wish.

Correct - new Jackie Robinson panel; same lame, weak fireworks

FoulTerritory
04-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I was complaining about this earlier in the thread. It seems Na na na na only gets played when an opposing pitcher is yanked. Haven't heard it after a homerun or last out of a victory in a while. Weak indeed.

Quoting myself here! I did notice that today we heard "Kiss Him Goodbye" after the Dayan "tanks" Viciedo homerun. It was a bit tardy, as she waited until after the weak fireworks to play it, but hey, this is progress on the organ front. I'll take it.

Dsell93
04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Keep in mind that there was no "na-na" after HRs last season. Maybe PR figured it would fill in the gap of the quieter fireworks. (which are ridiculous as we all know) Somebody brought up how Nancy used to play a cue of "bum bum bum bum bum bum bum na na..." to prompt a fan sing-along. Is there any way this can be communicated? I'm sure Lori would consider it if the input got to her. At least she carried on the familiar concluding three notes like Nancy did. Take a listen. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_15_detmlb_chamlb_1&highlight_content_id=20648641&c_id=cws

palehosepub
04-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Opening day is usually 90% males and the beer drinking is more prevalent than other ganes, I understand that. In my 43 years of going to the ball park the bathroom lines for the mens room were the longest that I have ever seen (100 level). You had the usual bozos who thought they could walk to the front of the line. And I saw some guys urinating on the ramps.
Why cant they add port a potties on the ramp to alleviate the overcrowding? They had in previous years.

The Sox should seriously consider the port a potties for the Cubs series.

roylestillman
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Opening day is usually 90% males and the beer drinking is more prevalent than other ganes, I understand that. In my 43 years of going to the ball park the bathroom lines for the mens room were the longest that I have ever seen (100 level). You had the usual bozos who thought they could walk to the front of the line. And I saw some guys urinating on the ramps.
Why cant they add port a potties on the ramp to alleviate the overcrowding? They had in previous years.

They usually have porta potties on the ramps for Opening Day. They did not have any in the parking lot to the west of Lot A either. Either budget cuts or somebody dropped the ball. At any rate those bushes along the 35th Street fence aren't going to look so good.

Jerko
04-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I've been to many opening days, the All Star game, WS game 2, and that concourse was NEVER as crowded as it was Friday. I think the Sox dropped the ball (or "cheaped out") on this one. IIRC last year they had the outfield "blocked off" unless you had an outfield ticket. They should seriously consider bringing that back, at least for opening day IMO. I know they'll never do it but knock off the SRO's too. I entered the park that day thru the stadium club, and there was nobody working the door, and a bunch of people with 500 level seats said they didn't even get their tickets checked Friday. I'm sure this coming Thursday when there's 18,000 people there the rules will be fully enforced though. That said, I still had a great time.

everafan
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM

I think that Na Na Hey Hey tradition was originally for opposing pitcher leaving the game during an inning. I think they added it to HR's and I never remember it after games. So I feel like they ae getting back to tradition there.

However, something that is new at the park is that there is much less participation in singing Na Na Hey Hey - like people aren't aware of it. Bummer.

everafan
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Cheese and caramel popcorn. Yum!

tebman
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Update on the fireworks: the big boomers will be back.

I found it difficult to believe that the Sox would drop the big fireworks after all these years based on a lone complaint. I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it. He replied that there was no complaint, but rather that the quieter display was the suggestion of their fireworks vendor, who thought the ones they used would look better in the daytime. Brooks said they tried it, didn't like it, and that they're going back to the noisemakers.

Major kudos to Brooks for his responsiveness. He's a pro.

Winning games is the most important thing, but the fireworks have been a part of us for 50 years and I'm glad to know that they're not going away.

beasly213
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

I found it difficult to believe that the Sox would drop the big fireworks after all these years based on a lone complaint. I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it. He replied that there was no complaint, but rather that the quieter display was the suggestion of their fireworks vendor, who thought the ones they used would look better in the daytime. Brooks said they tried it, didn't like it, and that they're going back to the noisemakers.

Winning games is the most important thing, but the fireworks have been a part of us for 50 years and I'm glad to know that they're not going away.

:hawk YES!

October26
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM

:thumbsup: Awesome news! :D:

russ99
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I think that Na Na Hey Hey tradition was originally for opposing pitcher leaving the game during an inning. I think they added it to HR's and I never remember it after games. So I feel like they ae getting back to tradition there.

However, something that is new at the park is that there is much less participation in singing Na Na Hey Hey - like people aren't aware of it. Bummer.

When it started in '77, it was for the opposing pitcher. Especially in '78 it was used for big homers, then as a rally song and also was played after the end of wins, especially exciting wins.

Sadly, Nancy leaving and the use of precanned DJ audio has lessened the impact of this Sox tradition, that has spread all over the world.

Maybe someday it will come back to it's former prominence on the South Side.

fisk4ever
04-16-2012, 10:06 PM

I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it.

Thanks for getting the lowdown!

Wedema
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Great News! Thanks for the update.

KnightSox
04-16-2012, 11:41 PM
I really noticed the lack of aerial bombs during AJ's homer tonight, its not the same without them. I'm glad they are bringing them back.

sox102
04-17-2012, 01:19 AM

I was at the game tonight and there were zero mortars. Just the colorful rockets if that's what you call them. The pre-game fireworks and the homerun fireworks.

tebman
04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I was at the game tonight and there were zero mortars. Just the colorful rockets if that's what you call them. The pre-game fireworks and the homerun fireworks.

Brooks said they'll be back at the next homestand. I assume the board is equipped (reloaded?) as part of the ballpark's maintenance on the off days.

Jerko
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Good news re the fireworks. Couldn't even hear the pre-gamers go off on Sunday (when they announce the players) and I was IN the park.

Harry Potter
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Glad the mortars will be returning. Now on to getting those pinwheels fixed...

Wedema
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Pretty quiet again tonight at the start of the game. Let's hope this is fixed by the next homestand.

C-Dawg
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Went to my first game of the year today (Apr. 19).

Is it just me, or did they eliminate that 20-minute announcement about how to get every section in the park out in case of emergency? That thing was so long and monotonous, it was putting people to sleep.

Wedema
04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Went to my first game of the year today (Apr. 19).

Is it just me, or did they eliminate that 20-minute announcement about how to get every section in the park out in case of emergency? That thing was so long and monotonous, it was putting people to sleep.

They played the Emergency Evacuation video on Opening Day.