PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Tame the Tigers? For Scherzer!!' DET vs CHW 4/13 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
04-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Nice job by both starters, and some timely little hits.

Catch by Viciedo sure took the wind out of DET in the 7th.

And Santiago is 3 for 3 in save situations.

Another nice team effort, though Dunn looks sick again...:(:

soxnut1018
04-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Pitching, defense, and timely hitting will win you a lot of ballgames.

Tlou_2lMLAc

Crestani
04-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Nice job by Jake today! Plus good timely hitting..!!

KnightSox
04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Its early, but I am more than satisfied with this start to the season.

doublem23
kM7C_yNlCLU

Great game. Sox were 3/7 with RISP or something. Sox defense vs. Detroit's D was definitely the factor that swung the game. Who says Dayan can't play LF? :cool:

LITTLE NELL
Always great to win the Home Opener.

Zakath
Way way too many K's, but timely hitting from Viciedo, AJ, and Morel, as well as the Tigers' D helping out tremendously, gets the W.

Everyone knew that Detroit's one weakness was its D, but they basically gave us 2 runs in the eighth.

Soxman219
Are our Sox in first place?

Boondock Saint
04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Damn good start from Peavy, two ultra-clutch plays from Viciedo, Tigers with a couple timely ****-ups, and that makes for a thing of beauty.

Broccoli Rob
Good win. 15/24 outs being strikeouts is a lot though.

doublem23
Are our Sox in first place?

No, Detroit is 5-2, Sox are 4-2. 1/2 game out. Damn you, Cleveland Snow storm!

vinny
Nice pitching job by Peavy, good hitting when we weren't striking out. All in all:

:soxwin:

Bucky F. Dent
04-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Sox Win! Sox Win! Holy Cow!

Konerkoholic
Detoit's pitchers recorded 15 Ks, and their fielders still clowned up the joint. Can not underestimate defense.

Soxman219

Oh man, still though love this start right now.

veeter
This is the Peavy Kenny traded for. Great job Viciedo, Paulie and Alexei. The bullpen continues its nasty work. Yes!!!

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Yeah, but tied in the loss column.

voodoochile
04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Santiago looks like he's going to be an okay closer. Nice to have a guy who can get K's without constantly having to throw pitches that end up in the dirt. I liked Santos, but he made me nervous when there were men on base. Santiago allows me to relax a lot more.

Nice day by Viciedo too. In fact I almost gave him the PTC, but Peavy had a nice day even if it wasn't as long as pitcher normally goes for a PTC, it's early in the year.

4-2 is a nice way to start the year. Team looks pretty stable and able to make the plays they need to. Keep that going it will make me very happy.

:supernana:

:)

Konerko05
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM
How did Peavy look?

SI1020
04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Detoit's pitchers recorded 15 Ks, and their fielders still clowned up the joint. Can not underestimate defense. I totally agree with that. The Tigers have a fearsome lineup but the defense may be lacking.

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Nice job by both starters, and some timely little hits.

Catch by Viciedo sure took the wind out of DET in the 7th.

And Santiago is 3 for 3 in save situations.

Another nice team effort, though Dunn looks sick again...:(:

Beckham is another guy looking bad, 7 Ks by Dunn and Gordo.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I love good D. And Jake, don't go away again!!

:bliss::bliss:

mccoydp
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I had to listen to the game while at work through At Bat '12 on my phone. Great job by Peavy, Viciedo, Konerko, Santiago, and the rest of the team. Nice start so far to the 2012 season.

Mendoza Line
04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
2 more wins and we will have already achieved 10% of SI's projected win total for the year!

Aesero
What a game! Amazing defensive plays all around, and a great job by Peavy even with all the distractions and delays.

Seems like a completely different ballclub. Let's keep it going, this is fun baseball!

SI1020
[/I][/B]

Beckham is another guy looking bad, 7 Ks by Dunn and Gordo. He really is starting to remind me of another SEC standout, Warren Morris, who faded quickly after showing early promise.

Zakath
04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
[/I][/B]

The only difference is that Dunn gets a lot of K's on 3-2 counts, while Gordon isn't even going deep in the count before he goes down. There's really nothing productive about striking out, but I'd rather have the guy have to throw 7, 8, or 9 pitches with fouloffs to get the K vs. 4 or 5.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
I loved the way Peavy stood up and took control of this game, and Dayan...wow, what a game on both sides of the field for him.

Way to take it to the 2012 AL Central Champs, Sox. Punch them in the mouth again tomorrow, and let them know that their crown is nothing but paper.

doublem23
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
The only difference is that Dunn gets a lot of K's on 3-2 counts, while Gordon isn't even going deep in the count before he goes down. There's really nothing productive about striking out, but I'd rather have the guy have to throw 7, 8, or 9 pitches with fouloffs to get the K vs. 4 or 5.

Yeah I think there were 2 AB today Dunn K'd after fouling off pitches that he just missed. Beckham's not even a threat at the plate right now.

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Thats fine but if these Ks keep up it won't be long before Viciedo is batting third and Gordo is sitting on the bench watching Escobar play 2nd base.

cws05champ
04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Santiago looks like he's going to be an okay closer. Nice to have a guy who can get K's without constantly having to throw pitches that end up in the dirt. I liked Santos, but he made me nervous when there were men on base. Santiago allows me to relax a lot more.

Nice day by Viciedo too. In fact I almost gave him the PTC, but Peavy had a nice day even if it wasn't as long as pitcher normally goes for a PTC, it's early in the year.

4-2 is a nice way to start the year. Team looks pretty stable and able to make the plays they need to. Keep that going it will make me very happy.

:supernana:

:)

We've barely seen the screwball that he features yet....maybe we'll see that as he faces teams a 2nd time.

[/I][/B]

I love Beckham's defense, but I wonder if it's time for the org to send him down to work on his swing soon.

ChiSoxGal85
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Who says pitching and defense can't win games? Great job by Peavy. Viciedo had a nice game and there were contributions all around defensively. AJ threw out a runner! (Alexei finally takes the throw the correct position for that, btw.) I think Konerko was actually out at home (according to slow-mo replay) but it didn't matter in the end.

I feel bad for Dunn, but I haven't given up on him yet. Chris Rongey pointed out in a tweet that he's working the count well and went to 3-2 on all his counts and he wasn't doing that last year.

Now, Gordon Beckham...he does not look good at the plate.

gogosox16
04-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I think its time to give Dunn a day off to recouperate and for Beckham, I'm losing my patience. Have to send a message to him somehow. I say give him tomorrow off and let Escobar start.

TaylorStSox
04-13-2012, 05:29 PM
This game highlighted why the Tigers wont win the World Series. Their defense is just brutal.

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 05:33 PM
This game highlighted why the Tigers wont win the World Series. Their defense is just brutal.

Lets hope they don't win the Central Division either.

Zakath
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I feel bad for Dunn, but I haven't given up on him yet. Chris Rongey pointed out in a tweet that he's working the count well and went to 3-2 on all his counts and he wasn't doing that last year.

Now, Gordon Beckham...he does not look good at the plate.

Dunn's 4 K's:
8 pitches (Ball, Called Strike, Ball, Swinging Strike, Foul, Ball, Foul, Swinging Strike)
6 pitches (Ball, Swinging Strike, Called Strike, Ball, Ball, Swinging Strike)
7 pitches (Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Called Strike, Foul, Called Strike)
9 pitches (Called Strike, Ball, Ball, Swinging Strike, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Foul Tip)

Beckham's 3 K's:
5 pitches (Called Strike, Ball, Swinging Strike, Foul, Swinging Strike)
5 pitches (Called Strike, Ball, Swinging Strike, Foul, Swinging Strike)
6 pitches (Called Strike, Ball, Ball, Swinging Strike, Ball, Swinging Strike)

SoxSpeed22
04-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Pitching, good baserunning and spot on defense wins the day. Tank had a great day, he could move up in the order soon.

TDog
04-13-2012, 05:40 PM
If you're looking for negatives today, you can find them. The White Sox seem to be striking out much more than last year, although I haven't looked at the numbers from last year's 4-2 start. The bullpen wasn't a mystery to the other team, but the bullpen still threw 3.1 shutout innings.

Really, there are no negatives after a home-opener win against the team Tigers.

The difference in this game was defense. Twice the Tigers (who went hitless with runners in scoring position) looked like they had hits that wiped out the White Sox lead. Twice the White Sox responded with seemingly magical defensive plays that took them off the field. The Tigers, meanwhile, played a fly ball to left into a leadoff triple and failed to turn a double play in the White Sox two-run eighth.

Both starters had great games. The White Sox missed a few hanging sliders, but they seemed to be inside and not far enough over the plate. The only runs Peavy gave up were on a mistake after a walk when he may have been tiring.

It was nice to see Morel have a nice day from the second spot in the order, His sacrifice was big in the first two-run inning and with two strike in the eighth he punched a hit through the drawn in infield to begin the scoring in the second two-run inning.

Of course, Viciedo has to be the PTC for what technically was the game winning hit and what was a game-saving catch. Konerko followed an inning after Viciedo's home run with a huge two-out RBI and left everything he had on the basepaths scoring from first on Pierzynski's triple.

Funny how De Aza and Pierzynki should triple in the same game after twice homering in the same innings ion the opening road trip.

It was a marvelous home opener, played the way I like seeing the White Sox play. It's going to be a long season full of inevitable ups and downs, but it looks like the White Sox could have some very good baseball in them this season.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Great start at home. Peavy pitched like an ace, timely hitting and the defense looks 100% better overall than last year.

Super start.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Great start at home. Peavy pitched like an ace, timely hitting and the defense looks 100% better overall than last year.

Super start.

Lip

If Jake stays healthy all year chalk him up for at least 15 wins.

Zakath
04-13-2012, 05:53 PM
If you're looking for negatives today, you can find them. The White Sox seem to be striking out much more than last year, although I haven't looked at the numbers from last year's 4-2 start.

32 K's in the first 6 games last year, where ironically 14 of them came in the first game, the 15-10 win at Cleveland.

57 through 6 games this year.

Before today, we were actually 10th best out of the 30 teams in K's. Colorado had the fewest with 31, while the Padres had a whopping 64 K's, albeit in 7 games, with the Brewers and Cubs right behind them at 63.

eriqjaffe
04-13-2012, 05:56 PM
57 through 6 games this year.That's just Dunn and Beckham, right?

kufram
04-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I think our manager had a pretty good game also... and I like sending PK home on AJ's triple. You win games by making the other team make plays. Detroit didn't make those plays today but the White Sox did. That was the game.

Dunn should have had 1 walk today. I'm hopeful that he will be ok. Beckham is overmatched at the plate but I would not mess with a lineup that is winning games... he was an important part of the double play that Alexei created.

Zakath
04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
That's just Dunn and Beckham, right?

1/3 of them. Dunn 10, Beckham 9.

#1swisher
04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Mark Gonzales

Viciedo said De Aza told him to move closer to LF line prior to making diving catch in 7th.

voodoochile
04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Mark Gonzales

Viciedo said De Aza told him to move closer to LF line prior to making diving catch in 7th.

First thing I noticed was he had great positioning on that play. He doesn't have the speed to cover much ground, but he was in the right place and got a good jump.

Edit: I wondered who set him up there prior to the play.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Another fun home opener! Second-best weather I've ever seen at an opener too. Just an all around good time.

First off, Frank Thomas was selling beer and giving out samples and a raffle in the Bacardi bar this morning. He was mobbed by fans, of course. The food in that bar is pretty good, and I got my order within like 5 minutes.

Game itself was a complete hoot. Loved the Detroit Sucks chants I kept hearing. Ballpark looked great, some new images in the montage, etc.

Missed Viciedo's home run though. I was buying a hot dog. :angry:

Man, Detroit sucked today. :gulp:

SCCWS
04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I think our manager had a pretty good game also... and I like sending PK home on AJ's triple. You win games by making the other team make plays. Detroit didn't make those plays today but the White Sox did. That was the game.

Dunn should have had 1 walk today. I'm hopeful that he will be ok. Beckham is overmatched at the plate but I would not mess with a lineup that is winning games... he was an important part of the double play that Alexei created.

Since they scored 5 runs today, Beckham did not affect the outcome. I agree you stay w the lineup until the lack of scoring becomes an issue. Hopefully he comes out of it and his defense is a plus. But if Morel struggles and Rios and Dunn don't start hitting then Beckham becomes a liability.

PaleHoser
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
This beats the hell out of "It's still early". :gulp:

I'm greedy. Let's sweep.

DickAllen72
04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Great win and nice games by AJ, Viciedo, and Peavy! :bandance:

TDog
04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
This beats the hell out of "It's still early". :gulp:

I'm greedy. Let's sweep.

This year's start is the same as last year's start, record-wise.

Last year, the hitting was quite a bit better. This year, the pitching is stronger. The defense is playing much better, especially in the outfield. The bullpen was victimized by bad ioutfield defense early last season, in contrast to the great outfield defense that saved the game today, which makes the early bullpen comparision more dramatic.

The Sox won six of their first nine games last year. Then the team stopped hitting. This Sox team looks good even thogh they aren't hitting, which wasn't the feeling I for one got at the beginning of last season.

Of course, it's still early.

shingo10
04-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe I missed someone mentioning it but the play by Ramirez cannot be understated. That was phenomenal. Whew. I love that we scored in the 8th to actually add to our lead. Beautiful game.

I could care less what the stats are for individuals. The team is winning and that is good.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I just now saw the catch by Viciedo. What a great play.

Oh, and Hawk, Stone, Farmer et. al: STOP ****ING CALLING HIM DIANE! It is pronounced Dyin' (rhymes with Mayan), or if you want to use the actual Spanish pronunciation, Dye-on. Not Diane. Please stop.

DSpivack
04-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I only heard (most of) the game on the radio as I was driving to and from Madison, WI (for a job interview; WSCR came in fine the whole ride up).

I got home, about 40 minutes ago, as the replay was starting on CSN. :cool:

slavko
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Beckham is getting his swing changed, don't give up on him yet, he figures to struggle. Give him a month or so.

Jurr
04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Well played game. I am actually excited to see an underdog Sox team benefit from poor fundamentals by the favorite. I'll take that all year!

Jake Peavy's determination and focus were amazing today. He was missing by an inch on back door sliders and would cuss himself each time. Talk about wanting to be perfect. Awesome stuff.

tstrike2000
04-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Beckham is getting his swing changed, don't give up on him yet, he figures to struggle. Give him a month or so.

Wondering when this was going to happen. Good idea, but I just hope it doesn't screw him up even more.

Foulke You
04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Wondering when this was going to happen. Good idea, but I just hope it doesn't screw him up even more.
2012 Beckham's batting stance is better overall, hands and legs seem to be in a better spot. However, I notice that he is releasing the top hand a lot more this year a la Walt Hriniak/Robin Ventura style. Some guys can't use that approach. I'm certainly no hitting coach but it seems the top hand thing has Beckham off balance when he swings. I miss that quick compact swing he had in 2009 when he was launching those doubles into the right center field gaps.

October26
04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Still giddy from the wonderful day I had while attending the Sox home opener today. I enjoyed meeting up with a few WSIers before the game and then took in the sights and sounds in and around the ballpark:

* Bacardi at the Park is interesting and fun. I will definitely be back there.
* The smell of the grass gets me every time. And the field looked beautiful, as usual, today - kudos to Roger!
* Seeing the huge flag rolled out on the field prior to the game was amazing. I have attended several Opening Days in the past. And I always love seeing the big flag and get teary-eyed during the anthem. Loved the flyover as well.
* There was a buzz in the crowd today which was wonderful. Everyone appeared to be having a great time.
* Sat next to a White Sox Executive and asked him if I could hold and try on his World Series Ring. He graciously obliged and I was giddy with excitement. What a thrill!
* Peavy pitched a great game today.
* Sox offense was good as was the defense.
* Adam Dunn and Gordon Beckham had bad days at the plate.
* Paulie is like fine wine; he's getting better with time.
* And last but not least, gotta give a little love to my fellow Cubans who made me proud today: Dayan with his golden bat (homer) and golden hands (great defensive play) and Alexei with that amazing double play. ChiSoxGal85 called the Viciedo homer, as she texted me prior to the game that she hoped Viciedo would hit a homer just for me. :D:

Great win today. Keep it going, boys! :bandance:

Brian26
04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I liked the way Robin came out to argue (& discuss in great detail) the foul ball call in front of the plate that upset AJ and Peavy so much. In the past few years, we've seen a manager who wouldn't even get off the bench to back his guys up, or he'd come out and provide the token one-minute argument to the umpire.

StillMissOzzie
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
:hawk

"I looooove me some two-out RBIs!"

Me too, Hawk. Nice to see some clutch hitting by PK and AJ.

:hawk

"AJ hitting a triple? PK scoring from first? I can't stand it!"

Well, you probably shouldn't get used to that part, Hawkeroo, but it was a delight to see.

Peavy holding the Motor City Kitties to 1 hit over 6 before losing it a bit in the 7th was great to see.
A couple of defensive web gems, by Viciedo and Ramirez to turn the DP, were both Tiger rally-snuffers. And tack-on runs never hurt either.
Now, if we can just get Dunn going like he was in spring training...

SMO
:gulp:

soxfan21
04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Great game to be at today, hopefully home games will be like this the rest of the season!

Tragg
04-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Who are we going to put in there instead of Beckham? Trade a top prospect for journeyman .270 hitting 2B?

We're winning with nice D, and he's providing it.

BigHurt3515
04-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Who are we going to put in there instead of Beckham? Trade a top prospect for journeyman .270 hitting 2B?

We're winning with nice D, and he's providing it.

give Escobar a shot?? He also plays good D, not as good as Beckham but he might be able to give us more Offense

Wedema
04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Lillibridge can play second base also.

ChiSoxGirl
04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I liked the way Robin came out to argue (& discuss in great detail) the foul ball call in front of the plate that upset AJ and Peavy so much. In the past few years, we've seen a manager who wouldn't even get off the bench to back his guys up, or he'd come out and provide the token one-minute argument to the umpire.

I said something very similar to my boyfriend when Robin came out (and stayed out for quite awhile) to discuss the play. "If Ozzie was still here, he wouldn't have even emerged from the dugout; he'd let the umpire's call stand even if it wasn't the right one."

As for my Opening Day experience, it was awesome as always. The weather was some of the best I can remember in the 10 home openers I've attended. While the crowd was lively, I mentioned to my boyfriend that I can't wait to go back on Sunday and have the nearest fans be three rows in front of us. There were some real obnoxious people out there today, but that's to be expected on Opening Day, I guess.

The funniest part of the game had to be when "Wheels" Konerko was rumblin' around the basepaths on A.J.'s triple. Hysterical! :D:

I loved seeing Robin introduced as the manager. Hearing the thunderous ovation both he & Konerko received warmed my heart and made me so excited for today and the season as a whole.

The worst part of our day? The three hour Metra ride home! Unfortunately, a person stepped in front of the the train that left 10 minutes before ours, so we were standing at a suburban stop for damn near an hour because the track was blocked for police investigation. When we finally got an update from the conductor and clearance to start moving again, we moved at a snail's pace, finally arriving at our stop at 7:55 - nearly four hours after the last out was recorded.

It was a long, but very fun day! Those three hours on the Metra would've been a lot less tolerable had the Sox lost today, that's for sure!

You know who loves Opening Day victories? YAZ! :wink:

GlassSox
04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
What a fun positive thread to read tonight. I can only echo that the weather was great and it was so good to be back in the Cell again.

A well played game and a Home Opener winner. Looking forward to Sat & Sun games.

JB98
04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Defense was definitely the difference in the game today. Viciedo with the catch in the seventh, and then the double play turned on Cabrera's grounder in the eighth were both game-saving defensive plays.

Meanwhile, Young clowned it up in LF on that drive by De Aza in the eighth, and that opened the door for the Sox to score two useful insurance runs.

Probably the only area the Sox have a clear advantage on Detroit is defense. You look around the diamond while the Tigers are in the field and it's hard to find anyone who is even an average defender at his position, let alone above average. That team can hit, but it can't field.

I'm not as worried about the Sox strikeouts as some people are. I know it's fashionable to hate on Dunn, but I'm not overly concerned. My main concern is the fans will start getting on him and he'll collapse mentally again. If he stays with the approach he's taking now, the results will come around. He had some good swings today and just fouled pitches off instead of squaring 'em up.

Beckham is really looking bad offensively, but I'm willing to show patience because he plays a premium defensive position and plays it well.

Crooked Number
04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
So I posted in the homeopener rollcall thread that I wasn't going to make it, thus breaking my 9 year streak. Well, make it ten! I finagled out of work early, and raced down to the park and scored a s.r.o ticket. Stood at the top of section 104 and watched this fantastic ballgame.

This game had almost everything you could ask for. Lights out pitching through 6 innings. From either team: Terrific defense (Tank & Alexei DP), terrible defense (Miggy / Delmon "Carlos Lee" Young that was high comedy in left), great baserunning (omgPaulie?), fundamentals!? (Brent with the bunt), run scoring wild pitch, a balk, homeruns, 2 out triple from a catcher, questionable bullpen move (Ohman as a loogy? yipe) great bullpen move (Hector as closer), Dunn golden sombrero 4k (yipe again).

Random notes:
Brooks - please, for the love of god, ditch the dugout dancing. At the very least, dont make all three drunk white guys. Why not throw a hot girl in there, you know how the Hawks always sandwich a hot chick between the two guys shooting the puck? Same concept.

All in all a great day at the ballpark, what a game we were treated to. Jake was terrific, just that one mistake. Oh, almost forgot. I captured this pic shortly after the big win on the Redline. Look closely at the lovely ladies' shirts. This is just pure gold - could this be added to the wsi pic annals? LOL

Konerko05
04-14-2012, 03:01 AM
How did Peavy look?

Thank you, everyone. For answering this question.

gobears1987
04-14-2012, 04:59 AM
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here. I have to say it's nice to see this team not stumble out of the gate like they have for the last few years.

Chez
04-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Lillibridge can play second base also.

God, no. He's acceptable in an emergency, but Lillibridge is a far below average defensive second baseman.

cards press box
04-14-2012, 09:43 AM
There was a lot of energy in the crowd yesterday and the Sox played very well. The Sox pitching and defense was strong and it was great to say:

:winner

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2012, 10:03 AM
God, no. He's acceptable in an emergency, but Lillibridge is a far below average defensive second baseman.

Agreed. We're 4-2 thanks to good pitching and defense. There is no reason to downgrade middle infield defense significantly in order to get marginal improvement from the nine spot in the order.

TaylorStSox
04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Agreed. We're 4-2 thanks to good pitching and defense. There is no reason to downgrade middle infield defense significantly in order to get marginal improvement from the nine spot in the order.
While I agree in principle, at some point you have to consider sending Gordon down before he's completely ruined mentally. He's all kinds of messed up. If he wasn't a top 10 pick, he might be out of baseball.

kufram
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I give Beckham credit because he is not "messed up" when he is on the field. No doubt something radical has to be done with his hitting approach but so far the new staff have been doing a lot of good things. I say give them a chance to figure it out. As long as we are playing baseball as team and winning as a team, let's not do too much to break that upi.

Tragg
04-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Mark Gonzales

I love that. The man's taking charge.
De Aza really looks the part, and hopefully he keeps getting better.

Zakath
04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
I give Beckham credit because he is not "messed up" when he is on the field. No doubt something radical has to be done with his hitting approach but so far the new staff have been doing a lot of good things. I say give them a chance to figure it out. As long as we are playing baseball as team and winning as a team, let's not do too much to break that upi.

I don't think that they can let this continue for long though, as it basically becomes a death spiral, and once the book is written on a player, it's hard to get out of it. His confidence at the plate is clearly shot and pitchers know how to throw to him to get him out, or more accurately, to allow him to get himself out. And if one pitcher knows, the whole league knows.

A couple of days off every week to give him some time in the batting cage with the hitting instructor couldn't hurt. He's still young enough and there's clearly ability there that can come out if it's corrected, but the longer it goes, the worse it gets.

kufram
04-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't think that they can let this continue for long though, as it basically becomes a death spiral, and once the book is written on a player, it's hard to get out of it. His confidence at the plate is clearly shot and pitchers know how to throw to him to get him out, or more accurately, to allow him to get himself out. And if one pitcher knows, the whole league knows.

A couple of days off every week to give him some time in the batting cage with the hitting instructor couldn't hurt. He's still young enough and there's clearly ability there that can come out if it's corrected, but the longer it goes, the worse it gets.

Yes, I can accept all of that except maybe giving him days off already. He's already at the bottom of the hitting spiral... can it get worse?

We're not dealing with a team of top notch talent all over the field, but we just might be dealing with a bunch of players and coaches that are pulling together on the same rope and I'd ride it. That's why I love baseball.... a team that plays the whole game well as a unit can beat a team of mashers. Now, if Ventura decides to focus on Beckham's hitting problems and give him time off to fix it I won't be complaining.

But I'm not a Major League manager or coach and I like the new staff. They've surprised me a bit. How many times are we going to see Konerko sent rumbling around third to beat a throw home on a close play? Hopefully not very often. Injury worries alone might have stopped me from sending him. But against Detroit in the home opener when everyone has contributed as a unit? I loved it. The coach and captain showed everybody something there.

hawkjt
04-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Couple of points:

McEwing sending PK was the right call,as that ball hung up in the corner,and only a tremendous cutoff throw to the plate made it close. That was a strike on a line from halfway up the right field line...great throw,and it was bang-bang,so another good call by McEwing.

As for Gordo, I think you suffer with his bat at the bottom of the order at least until the Sox slump. Then give him some more days off.
But, his glove is very,very good. On the game-saving double play,Alexei made a great diving stop,and glove toss to Gordo,but Gordo showed great hands in reacting to that quick toss,and completing the play..not an easy catch,and if he fumbles it,tying run scores.

Alexei is not exactly hitting right now also,so I think Gordo needs to be given the same consideration. Same with Dunn...wish the fans would not boo him on opening day. He has looked better,but maybe he is having flashbacks in Soxpark or something,but he needs to be given a couple of weeks of flailing before the booing begins. He was looking better til yesterday.
If you look at Tiger message boards,they seem to hate Delmon Young with a passion. They hate on him thruout the game,then he hits a two run homer and they give him a pass for an inning,then he botches up the flyball and they go right back to hating him. To me, he is a sox-killer,and I hope they run him out of town. I guess every fanbase has to have a goat to dislike.

I agree that it was a classic opener...had everything you want in a home opener,or any ballgame...and most of all...a Sox Winner!!

SI1020
04-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Thank you, everyone. For answering this question. I was only able to see the highlights, but this story might help you a little. Jake has done OK so far but I think he tired in the 7th, and of course I worry about him breaking down. As for now so far so good.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0414-rogers-white-sox-tigers-chicago--20120414,0,4953542.column