PDA

View Full Version : Wifi at the Cell

Milw
04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Sox offering paid wifi this season. Free for introductory period (unspecified), and then $2 per hour. I know that compared to an airport or something that $2/hour is cheap, but it's still ridiculous. Article doesn't specify, but hopefully they'll offer some kind of reduced rate for the season. But I doubt it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-white-sox-roll-out-wifi-at-us-cellular-field-20120412,0,5872366.story

kittle42
04-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I could see myself making use of that for a day game where I needed to be in touch with the office, but that's really it.

Or maybe the drunken settling of an argument over something stupid...

DonnieDarko
04-12-2012, 04:11 PM
The most amount of time I spend at a ballpark is five...maybe six hours.

So if I had a Wifi device, that would be 10-12 dollars for the day, and that's assuming that I'm using the Wifi the entire time.

That's actually pretty reasonable.

robertks61
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Free Wifi last year at Target Field.

TomBradley72
04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous- once a customer has blown $60 for a ticket and parking- they shouldn't be nickle and dimed like this- I'll never need it- I don't need wifi when I go to a game- but this seems silly and outdated to me.

jmeneghini1433
04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a friend who works in the scoreboard room and I was up there a few times over the last 3 years. They had a user ID and password posted on the wall. Not sure if it's still that but it was the same as of last year.

MOD EDIT - I'm sure if the Sox wanted this made public, they'd have let people know about it

Milw
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I've never gotten a reliable data signal at the Cell--I had AT&T until last year, when I switched to T-Mobile, and both have sucked. I like to keep up with my fantasy team between innings, so it would be nice to have Wifi. But not for $2 an hour. I guess it's nice that it'll be an option during a rain delay or something, but it's really a shame that they're nickle and diming on this instead of providing it as a guest service.

If they offered a season-long package (say, $20 for the entire year), I think that would be reasonable, and I gotta think they would recoup most of their expenses via that route.

ChiSoxGal85
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, considering I get very spotty service in the Cell (yep, I have AT&T), wi-fi would not be a bad idea. But I probably won't use it. I don't want to check scores or post on this board badly enough during a game to actually pay for that privilege.

doublem23
04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
That's ****ing stupid.

haganaga
04-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Can't wait for the YT clip that's sure to come of the guy on his laptop getting clocked in the head with the ball or beer dumped on him and his laptop while others scramble for it. :D:

kevingrt
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Only time I would ever contemplate using it is during a rain delay. However, it would be quite useful during a rain delay.

Ron Karkovice
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
That's ****ing stupid.

then don't pay for it. $2/hr is cheap.

skobabe8
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Dumb.

I'd probably use it, but I'm not sacrificing my nachos. I'll stick with the 4G.

Ron Karkovice
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Dumb.

exactly.

cws05champ
04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
It should at least be free for season ticket holders....not that I am one, but it should be.

How about 1 free hour of wifi for every strike out that Adam Dunn has at home?:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2012, 08:34 PM
No problem. This will give KW another 50 cents to spend at the deadline.

gregoriop
04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
If it's anything like the wifi they had last year, it's not worth paying for.

Viva Medias B's
04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Last year, those of us who went to the season ticket holder event and got to go into the visitors clubhosue saw...

Ron Karkovice
04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Last year, those of us who went to the season ticket holder event and got to go into the visitors clubhosue saw...

the suspense is deafening...

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Just an observation. Next time you watch a game look at the fans in the low boxes and how many of them are not paying attention to the game because they are texting or reading something on their I-Phones. One of these days someone is going to get beaned by a low liner foul ball and maybe die and then the Clubs will extend the screen from behind home plate all the way past the dugouts and it will look like a hockey rink.

MarksBrokenFoot
04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure wifi at the Cell is free, the 2 dollar charge is for faster speeds.

haganaga
04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
One of these days someone is going to get beaned by a low liner foul ball and maybe die and then the Clubs will extend the screen from behind home plate all the way past the dugouts and it will look like a hockey rink.
I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet, given our litigious society.

cws05champ
04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Just an observation. Next time you watch a game look at the fans in the low boxes and how many of them are not paying attention to the game because they are texting or reading something on their I-Phones. One of these days someone is going to get beaned by a low liner foul ball and maybe die and then the Clubs will extend the screen from behind home plate all the way past the dugouts and it will look like a hockey rink.

They do this in Japan in a lot of the stadiums....clear panels like a hockey rink all the way down the lines. Was weird when I first saw it but didn't really notice it after awhile(and a few drinks).

kittle42
04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet, given our litigious society.

It is black-letter law that you are at your peril with foul balls at baseball games.

#1swisher
04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Los Angeles based Boingo Wireless, will provide complimentary internet
access at the stadium as part of a introductory offer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-white-sox-roll-out-wifi-at-us-cellular-field-20120412,0,5872366.story

Milw
04-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Dumb.

Please share, which cell provider actually delivers 4G service (or any data service, for that matter) at the Cell during a well attended game? U.S. Cellular is probably the obvious answer, but are there any others? I know from personal experience that T-Mobile and AT&T don't get it done, and I've heard that Verizon isn't real great, either.

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I haven't actually looked for them when I've been at the ballpark. Are there any power ports available for fans to plug their devices in to give them a little charge?

skobabe8
04-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Please share, which cell provider actually delivers 4G service (or any data service, for that matter) at the Cell during a well attended game? U.S. Cellular is probably the obvious answer, but are there any others? I know from personal experience that T-Mobile and AT&T don't get it done, and I've heard that Verizon isn't real great, either.

I have Verizon and had a coupe of bars of 4G yesterday. It might have even been full strength, I didn't notice to be honest, but I definitely had 4G.

I haven't actually looked for them when I've been at the ballpark. Are there any power ports available for fans to plug their devices in to give them a little charge?

When I was driving home from Arizona a few years ago I made a stop to see a game at Coors Field and my phone was almost dead. I brought my charger into the game and found random outlets along the concourse to charge up with. Just sat there drinking a beer watching batting practice while the phone juiced up. I would assume USCF has similar.

LongLiveFisk
04-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Wouldn't surprise me. I agree that too many people are not paying attention and they really should not count on people yelling "heads up" because there is not always time for that.

Wedema
04-14-2012, 08:27 PM

I went early today with my daughter and caught the Tigers batting practice. We went down the third base line in hopes of snagging a ball and the first thing that I noticed was that the Sox had these 2 big portable screens down the line (past the tarp) in front of the stands. There were also two placed down the first base line. It was the first time that I have seen this during BP at a Sox game.

all*star quentin
04-14-2012, 09:51 PM

I think that will change, due to a better product on the field. :redneck:redneck