PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko

BleacherBandit
04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Although this season is only 5 games old, I have been incredibly impressed by Paul. He was essentially the one offensive consistency last season and continues to display smart, reliable hitting. Today's game is good example of that: 2-3 with two RBI on lazy pitches. He's doing everything right and seems to be off to a productive season not unlike the last two.

Who else wants to see him end his career here? Moot point, obviously. I doubt any of you would like to see him depart before he retires.

Anyway, this isn't a very productive thread, just wanted to show some love for #14.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Although this season is only 5 games old, I have been incredibly impressed by Paul. He was essentially the one offensive consistency last season and continues to display smart, reliable hitting. Today's game is good example of that: 2-3 with two RBI on lazy pitches. He's doing everything right and seems to be off to a productive season not unlike the last two.

Who else wants to see him end his career here? Moot point, obviously. I doubt any of you would like to see him depart before he retires.

Anyway, this isn't a very productive thread, just wanted to show some love for #14.

I don't think there's any question he ends his career here. Were he still seeking a WS ring, it's possible the Sox would look to trade him to a contender, but Konerko seems destined to retire in a Sox uniform.

KMcMahon817
04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't think there's any question he ends his career here. Were he still seeking a WS ring, it's possible the Sox would look to trade him to a contender, but Konerko seems destined to retire in a Sox uniform.

OK'd by me. I love some Paulie.

pudge
04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I wonder, have we seen a more professional hitter for the majority of his career than Paulie? Frank in his prime was obviously the greatest we are likely to see, and others like Baines, Fisk, etc. were pretty good for a long time, but I can't recall someone performing at this level so consistently and so late into his career.

slavko
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
He's gotten better with age. Wish I were doing the same. Put those six week slumps where he tried to pull outside pitches behind him. He would give credit to Greg Walker. Why don't we?

RowanDye
04-11-2012, 09:57 PM
If you take a look at there offensive numbers, Paul Konerko has better numbers than the Pizza Man (Ron Santo) did. And the Pizza Man just got elected to the HOF this past off season. Is Paul Konerko a future HOF? Not only are his numbers better, he has been in the postseason 3 times, been on one pennant winner and one World Championship team. Pizza Man was never on a playoff team in his career.

Like it or not there is a big difference in the HOF standards for 1B v 3B.

Paulie might need to play until 2015 before he hits his 500th HR, at which point he will be 39 yrs old.

I hope Paulie makes it, but he's a borderline Ron Santo and Ron Santo is a borderline HOFer.

Boondock Saint
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
He's gotten better with age. Wish I were doing the same. Put those six week slumps where he tried to pull outside pitches behind him. He would give credit to Greg Walker. Why don't we?

Walker should get credit for his work with Paulie. But the problem most have/had with Walker isn't with what he did with Konerko. It's the dozens of other players he's coached over the years who have either gone through extended slumps or had horrific regressions under his coaching.

HomeFish
04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I think it's absolutely amazing that Paulie is hitting this well so late in his career. I thought for sure that he was done years ago.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I think it's absolutely amazing that Paulie is hitting this well so late in his career. I thought for sure that he was done years ago.

Many of us thought his was finished in 2003. He was so bad during the first half of that season that people wanted him to go to Charlotte to fix his swing, and several of us tore him apart when he indicated he wouldn't accept such an assignment.

Nine years later, he's the Sox most consistent hitter, and with Buehrle gone, the only remaining link (besides AJ) to the 2005 team.

Boondock Saint
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Many of us thought his was finished in 2003. He was so bad during the first half of that season that people wanted him to go to Charlotte to fix his swing, and several of us tore him apart when he indicated he wouldn't accept such an assignment.

Nine years later, he's the Sox most consistent hitter, and with Buehrle gone, the only remaining link (besides AJ) to the 2005 team.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/attachments/ootp-mods-rosters-photos-quick-starts/230171d1317170781-major-league-baseball-managers-don_cooper_-2011_white_sox-_2.jpg

"What a load of crap".

hawkjt
04-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Paulie has that beautiful,quick, short stroke that endures, and allows him to still turn on anything on the inner half. Seeing Robin give him the green lite on 3-0 today shows the ultimate confidence and respect...and of course he turned it into a line drive rbi single...sweetttt!

TDog
04-12-2012, 01:59 AM

As well White Sox fans should.

I was especially impressed in the fifth with runners on first and third when Konerko punched a single through the infield on a 3-0 pitch to drive in the run.

Konerko's overall career stats don't really tell the story of his career, and I don't believe Sox fans give him the sort of respect he deserves. He won't end up with the numbers of Frank Thomas, but Konerko is as good a hitter as he has ever been in his career at an age where many very good hitters are in decline. He wasn't Thomas in his prime. Few have been. But he has been a better hitter since turning 34 than Thomas was after age 34. At the same time, Konerko is one of the top defensive first basemen in the league.

Konerko worked hard to turn himself into a very dangerous hitter. And a decade ago, people believed that his hip problems would force him out of baseball in five years. I don't know how long he can continue playing at this level, but I would hate to see him finish his career someplace else.

Huskie28
04-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I love what Paulie is doing at the plate, but I can't help to think that his age is catching up with him...I know its a small sample size but he hasn't hit a homerun and I don't believe he hit one in the spring. He is a great hitter and to me it looks like he his cutting down his stroke so far this year. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he opens it up. I'm just happy that Paulie is mature enough to not try to do too much at the plate.

DonnieDarko
04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I love what Paulie is doing at the plate, but I can't help to think that his age is catching up with him...I know its a small sample size but he hasn't hit a homerun and I don't believe he hit one in the spring. He is a great hitter and to me it looks like he his cutting down his stroke so far this year. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he opens it up. I'm just happy that Paulie is mature enough to not try to do too much at the plate.

He hit one in the game against the Astros.

SI1020
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Paulie has that beautiful,quick, short stroke that endures, and allows him to still turn on anything on the inner half. Seeing Robin give him the green lite on 3-0 today shows the ultimate confidence and respect...and of course he turned it into a line drive rbi single...sweetttt! One of the nicest swings ever.

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Paul Konerko=Class and a true professional.
I hope he spends the remainder of his career with the Sox and the day he retires, #14 goes up on the left field wall.

Crooked Number
04-14-2012, 01:11 AM
To quote my buddy's text to me at the game today - Pauly is aging like a fine wine. I already posted the perfect Pauly pic in the postgamer :D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Is it totally unreasonable to think that Konerko may actually pass Thomas on the Sox HR leader board? Look at his stats. He's at 389 currently and under contract for the next two seasons. Even if he hits only 30 HR's each year, that puts him at 449, 1 HR over Frank's career here, which is 448. I can't imaging Konerko not reaching 30 HR's again this year, and baring a trade he would need to approve, I think it's a real possibility. I guess if anyone is going to dethrone the Big Hurt, I would want it to be Konerko, but what is everyone's feelings on that?

fram40
04-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Is it totally unreasonable to think that Konerko may actually pass Thomas on the Sox HR leader board? Look at his stats. He's at 389 currently and under contract for the next two seasons. Even if he hits only 30 HR's each year, that puts him at 449, 1 HR over Frank's career here, which is 448. I can't imaging Konerko not reaching 30 HR's again this year, and baring a trade he would need to approve, I think it's a real possibility. I guess if anyone is going to dethrone the Big Hurt, I would want it to be Konerko, but what is everyone's feelings on that?

Probably my two favorite Sox hitters. They are and will be #1 and #2 in many Sox career hitting stats. Probably doesn't matter who is #1 and who is #2.

He definitely deserves his number on the outfield wall