PDA

View Full Version : Good Move

Lip Man 1
04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
According to Gonzo in a story on the Tribune web site tonight, Robin has instituted full scale infield / outfield practice before the first road game of every series.

GREAT MOVE!

Robin said you can't expect a guy to throw from the outfield to home plate and have any success if you haven't worked on it in practice...so he's ordered it.

This is called, for those of you who have forgotton in the past eight years, working on fundamentals.

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Haven't read the article yet, but I am floored that this is a new idea for the Sox. It seems like common sense to me. What did they do before? BP and that's it? Is that common?

bigdommer
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Ozzie only required that they show for the anthem. Ironic, since he is apparently a communist.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Ozzie only required that they show for the anthem. Ironic, since he is apparently a communist.

http://cdn2.dailycaller.com/george_Steinbrenner-300x300.jpg

"As thick as they come, like a big, juicy steak!"

http://images.wikia.com/seinfeld/images/0/02/Frank-Costanza.png

"How could you give twelve million dollars to Hideki Irabu?"

BleacherBandit
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Really good idea. Viciedo and Rios could obviously use the work, although I don't really have any faith in Alex. If you're a veteran and STILL look like a clown practice probably means less than waking the hell up.

Still have to credit Robin. Ozzie apparently didn't try this kind of thing very often, especially by the end of last year when they certainly could have used it.

TomBradley72
04-11-2012, 08:48 PM
According to Gonzo in a story on the Tribune web site tonight, Robin has instituted full scale infield / outfield practice before the first road game of ever series.

GREAT MOVE!

Robin said you can't expect a guy to throw from the outfield to home plate and have any success if you haven't worked on it in practice...so he's ordered it.

This is called, for those of you who have forgotton in the past eight years, working on fundamentals.

Lip

Lip- already on the Trib website? Can't find it.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Tom:

Here you go. It's about halfway down:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0412-bits-white-sox-indians-chicago--20120412,0,1515793.story

Lip

Noneck
04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I thought fundamentals were only taught and practiced in the minors , if you didnt learn there its too late.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Kudos to Robin.

Given that every MLB outfield has different dimensions, wall heights and angles, and amounts of foul territory, it seems only logical that the fielders would practice before the first game of that series to get accustomed to the field.

I don't care what Ozzie said about Fidel. I do care that he didn't have his players practice fundamentals when he managed the Sox. I wonder how many more games - and thus division titles - the Sox would have won if they were just average at fundamentals, instead of being inept.

michned
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Have to admit, I'm impressed by Robin's leadership so far. I can't remember where I heard it, but I think most teams no longer do infield practice. I remember hearing some old school guys on the radio mention that about the new breed of major leaguer - that most teams no longer take infield.

Brian26
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
According to Gonzo in a story on the Tribune web site tonight, Robin has instituted full scale infield / outfield practice before the first road game of every series.

Tell him to make sure Beckham and Morel show up next time. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Noneck:

According to some posters at WSI it's a waste of time to "practice" in the majors!

:tongue:

Very happy to read that Robin ordered this.

Lip

Noneck
04-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Lip,

In every profession one always practices the skills they have and then try to learn new ones. I just never understood why some thought baseball was any different. Continuing education is important in all lines of work.

Daver
04-12-2012, 12:26 AM
I thought fundamentals were only taught and practiced in the minors , if you didnt learn there its too late.

The argument could be made that if you haven't learned fundamentals you have no business being on an MLB roster, and if you are it speaks volumes on the teams ability to develop talent.

Noneck
04-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Daver,

I understand that and we know that isnt always the case these days but learning new things and honing the skills you have, can only help in any profession.

voodoochile
04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Learning and reenforcing are two different things especially with muscle memory things like fielding and throwing baseballs. As an example most professional golfers aren't learning how to hit a golf ball but they constantly reenforce the various physical aspects of the game by going to the driving range and putting greens. They even do this for a while before teeing off every single round of every single tournament.

The vast majority of what these players learn needs to be known before they hit the majors, but there's nothing wrong with practicing to reenforce that knowledge and as I said the muscle memory that uses it.

So maybe we can all step back from saying I told you so for a few minutes and just enjoy the fact the Sox are doing something new that will hopefully improve the team defense and give the team a better chance to win.

rockinrobin23
04-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Very smart move by Robin

TDog
04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
When I was a photographer for my college daily, 1976, 1977, I got a few passes to shoot at Old Comiskey. I was looking at some of the negatives this winter, and I saw a few with Minnie Minoso working on pregame infield practice. It used to be routine.

I know the A's made a big deal about fielding practice last year in Chicago on a day they couldn't take batting practice, but fielding practice used to be routine. Still, I get out to the park early, and I haven't seen any team regularly do it in quite a while.

BainesHOF
04-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Great move by Ventura. Not too long ago you used to see teams do this before most games.

I think it also conveys a message to the players that the coaching staff is serious. It's a nice change.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-12-2012, 08:39 AM
To me this is no different than OFers taking fly ball practice home and away. The way you see a ball is different in every park, so you can watch the ball leave a bat, the arc, the way it plays off the backdrop of the stadium. IF and OF practice for throwing balls in should be the same, and I applaud Robin for making in mandatory.

Alex Rios should be the 1st one out there for these and the last one to leave.

doublem23
04-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Alex Rios should be the 1st one out there for these and the last one to leave.

I assume you meant Dayan Viciedo who is 1/10th the defensive OF Ríos is.

white sox bill
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Look no further than our neighboors to the North (for me the South) to see how effective playing fundamentally sound baseball can be. I'm not implying that the Twins are a dynasty or anything but they sure beat like a drum in the fundamental category in yrs past

cheezheadsoxfan
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
IIRC under Ozzie we were always hearing about an emphasis on fundamentals but the results on the fields were never there.

Nice to see Robin serious about it.

everafan
04-12-2012, 11:36 AM
The argument could be made that if you haven't learned fundamentals you have no business being on an MLB roster, and if you are it speaks volumes on the teams ability to develop talent.

That was Ozzie's philosophy. But the way these guys ae spoiled now I don't think it rings true. Plus practicing on the road helps the team discover any nuances of the field. You can almost look at it as a warm up, not a practice. They always take batting practice - why not fielding practice.

Jerko
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM

LOL I was gonna post the same thing. I think it's a great idea; you get the lay of the land, infielders can get more familiar with bounces, outfielders can play different caroms off the wall, etc. I know a lot of people don't have high expectations this year, but I think it's GREAT that this is being run like a baseball team again, not a reality show.

Carneyman14
04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
The fact that we didn't already do this blows my mind. Its muscle memory. Its a new ball park. You should field 50-100 ground balls every few days IMO. Outfielders especialy need to know how balls bouce off the walls. Professional or not you are human beings and we learn through repetition.